Lyrics for Dr John?

vixenbbw

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been bothering me for a while-

Mika keeps saying this song is about a triangular witch doctor covered in chicken feathers who lives in a forest- NO IT ISN'T!

That might be what he was thinking about when he wrote it, it might be what he's thinking when he sings it, but all of that remained in Mika's head, there is nothing about any of it in the actual song. It is about an unspecified Dr John, who is mentioned a good deal less than mother and father anyway

I know! :roftl:

I guess that's just the cover story, or something :lol3:

Mika keeps saying this song is about a triangular witch doctor covered in chicken feathers who lives in a forest- NO IT ISN'T!

That might be what he was thinking about when he wrote it, it might be what he's thinking when he sings it, but all of that remained in Mika's head, there is nothing about any of it in the actual song. It is about an unspecified Dr John, who is mentioned a good deal less than mother and father anyway

no he doesn't sing about the doctor stuffing chicken feathers into himself, but lollipop wasn't about lollipop girl running around in the forest being chased by mr.chew chew was it? :wink2:

I think it's just a side story that goes with the song. You know, the story happens in the pictures.

no he doesn't sing about the doctor stuffing chicken feathers into himself, but lollipop wasn't about lollipop girl running around in the forest being chased by mr.chew chew was it? :wink2:

I think it's just a side story that goes with the song. You know, the story happens in the pictures.

I don't think he fully realises how little of what's in his head gets onto the album though.

I reckon Dr.John is a quack (maybe that is the reference to feathers etc and don't they sometimes call psychiatrists witch doctors in certain places?) I just get a picture of a phyciatrist's couch n all that, I think he is toying with his words again again to throw us off the scent. :naughty:

To me it's about someone who is trying to find himself and fighting with himself about ending up in sleazy bars looking for ?? :wink2: W/E and doing all that trying to grow up shizz and it upsetting his parents, so they have to see a quack to see why he is behaving this way as his parents don't approve. His mum wants to help him but he refuses her help probs cos he feels he is either beyond help or doesn't even NEED or want it deep down, perhaps he is angry at them for wanting him to change or something.

Well this is how it comes across to me, I like my version than his triangular dude, that just makes me think of green quality street choccies lol.

PS. I also woke up with this in my head and it came to work with me and stayed in my head and out of it all day lol.

I was thinking about it,too when I listenned to his channel 4 through the looking glass,listenning to the song. It really bugged me,I couldn't really concentrate on the performance :teehee:

But you make a point, Caz. That's what makes his whole universe,I guess? Like, we aknowledge there's one although we can't fully grasp it.

I reckon Dr.John is a quack (maybe that is the reference to feathers etc and don't they sometimes call psychiatrists witch doctors in certain places?) I just get a picture of a phyciatrist's couch n all that, I think he is toying with his words again again to throw us off the scent. :naughty:

To me it's about someone who is trying to find himself and fighting with himself about ending up in sleazy bars looking for ?? :wink2: W/E and doing all that trying to grow up shizz and it upsetting his parents, so they have to see a quack to see why he is behaving this way as his parents don't approve. His mum wants to help him but he refuses her help probs cos he feels he is either beyond help or doesn't even NEED or want it deep down, perhaps he is angry at them for wanting him to change or something.

Well this is how it comes across to me, I like my version than his triangular dude, that just makes me think of green quality street choccies lol.

PS. I also woke up with this in my head and it came to work with me and stayed in my head and out of it all day lol.

I think it's about Mika knowing he's doing the wrong thing but feels like he can't go to anyone because he thinks people will judge him and not understand him, sometimes I find people wanting to help me patronising. I think it's Mika trying to find his own identity and gaining his own independence and trying to make his own choices, but finds himself spiralling downwards and trying to figure out how to get out of it by listening to the voices in his head AKA Doctor John.

I don't mean "voices in his head" in a literal sense, you know when you have some downtime and try to think things through? Like that.

(Sorry, this is a very pedestrian explanation, yours are lovely)

I think the witch doctor bit is about feeling that only someone who's really really weird could possibly understand you

But a lot of it's about wanting someone to confide in without the worry about hurting someone who cares for you

• 2 weeks later...
(Sorry, this is a very pedestrian explanation, yours are lovely)

I think the witch doctor bit is about feeling that only someone who's really really weird could possibly understand you

But a lot of it's about wanting someone to confide in without the worry about hurting someone who cares for you

I agree with you a 100%!:thumb_yello: It's easier to talk to someone who doesn't know you! And I believe they all want to talk to Dr John, the boy, his mother and father because they all need help because the three of them are a bit lost! And Dr John doesn't judge people! It's like in the movies when people tell all about their worries to the barman and feel much better afterwards!:biggrin2: Dr John is so soothing! I love it!:wub2:

From Japanese printed lyrics:

I look for joy in a strange place

From the back of the bar

From afar

I see the look on my mama’s face

When her son's in the corner, undone

She says that my life is over

"Boy, you don't know what you got till it's gone

Come put your head upon my shoulder"

She gave me her hand, but I ignored her

Oh, Dr. John

What am I doing

What am I doing I wrong?

Cuz I keep on trying

Something ain't going

Something ain't going on

Oh, Dr. John

From the back of a bar

From afar

I see the look on my daddy's face

When his son's falling over, undone

Father my life is over

Well I didn't know what I had now it's gone

Can I lay my head upon your shoulder?

If I fall asleep, will it be over?

Oh, Dr. John

What am I doing

What am I doing I wrong?

Cuz I keep on trying

Something ain't going

Something ain't going on

Oh, Dr. John

What am I doing

What am I doing I wrong?

Cuz I keep on trying

Something ain't going

Something ain't going on

They say I'm a big heartbreaker

But Doctor, I'd never hurt ya

It isn't that obvious? (hmmm)

Oh, Dr. John

What am I doing

What am I doing I wrong?

Cuz I keep on trying

Something ain't going

Something ain't going on

end printed lyrics, song continues:

(Another day, another break up)

Oh, Dr. John

(Hold on, and on, Hold on, and on)

I keep on trying

(Another day, another wake up)

We hold on, and on

We hold on, and on

Oh, Dr. John

We hold on, and on

We hold on, and on

(I keep on trying)

We hold on, and on

We hold on, and on

Oh, Dr. John

What am I doing

What am I doing wrong?

Cuz I keep on trying

Something ain't going

Something ain't going on

Dr. John

Ooh, ooh, ooh

Dr. John.

From the back of the bar

From afar

I absolutely love that part. The way he sings it :wub2:

And something about the lyrics themselves are really good. I haven't placed my finger on it yet tho. I just love it :wub2:

From the back of the bar

From afar

I absolutely love that part. The way he sings it :wub2:

And something about the lyrics themselves are really good. I haven't placed my finger on it yet tho. I just love it :wub2:

It almost sounds like a young boy's worst nightmare - to have his mother find him in the corner of a bar. Where he just finished finding "joy". And he's "undone". :blink:

And then the lyrics continue to describe how his mother says his life is over because he didn't realize what he had "now it's gone" (virginity?):blink:

:teehee:

It almost sounds like a young boy's worst nightmare - to have his mother find him in the corner of a bar. Where he just finished finding "joy". And he's "undone". :blink:

And then the lyrics continue to describe how his mother says his life is over because he didn't realize what he had "now it's gone" (virginity?):blink:

That's kinda what I was thinking myself. i'm gonna go into a whole detailed analysis soon enough like I did with One Foot Boy but I wanna listen to it a few more time so I have a definite idea of what I wanna say.

In good company with SITM then!:wink2:

I love this song, both the lyrics and the mellody!:wub2:

That's kinda what I was thinking myself. i'm gonna go into a whole detailed analysis soon enough like I did with One Foot Boy but I wanna listen to it a few more time so I have a definite idea of what I wanna say.

I'm looking forward to read that!:thumb_yello:

I think it's about Mika knowing he's doing the wrong thing but feels like he can't go to anyone because he thinks people will judge him and not understand him, sometimes I find people wanting to help me patronising. I think it's Mika trying to find his own identity and gaining his own independence and trying to make his own choices, but finds himself spiralling downwards and trying to figure out how to get out of it by listening to the voices in his head AKA Doctor John.

I don't mean "voices in his head" in a literal sense, you know when you have some downtime and try to think things through? Like that.

I think Dr.John are the "voices in his head" too.

I think in the song Mika's mother is trying to encourage and help Mika, which only make Mika feel hurt and ignore her. When he does not know what to do he asks his father for help but his father cannot help him in the way he wants him to. I don't think the people around Mika really meant that Mika was "a big heartbreaker" when they said that. I think he felt so even though people were trying to encourage him because he was really confused and was feeling that he couldn't do anything :blink:

I like the voices in your head theory, but what about when he says, 'but Doctor I'd never hurt ya, isn't it obvious?' why would he said that to voices in his head, coz that's basically him saying he'd never hurt himself.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking about theis song a lot lately but I haven't got a definite idea of it yet so I'll have to get back to that.

BUT I have an amazing idea for a video (which I'll post when I have more time.) :naughty:

I wish I could make it. :wub2:

Ok, so here's my idea:

The song starts and you see a close up of a beautifully long fingered hand resting lightly on a pint of beer.

The scene pans out and you see Mika sitting in a bar with his feet resting up on a table singing and watching the scene unfold in front of him.

*A young curly haired boy is sitting in a dark corner across the room with a nother young lad. The 2nd boy has his hand under the table and though nothing can be seen I think you get the general idea. it would have o be done really sneakily though.

This boy's mother comes in and (BTW, theis whole scene is silent, just the song and Mika can be heard.) catches him.

Mika sits up, still singing and leans foward, interested.

The boy is startled and she holds her hand out to take him home but he ignores he.

Chorus!

Mika is sitting in the same position but SUDDENLY in in a psychologists office. But the office is filled with the dark arts and voodoo and Dr. John (covered in feathers) is making a voodoo doll of a woman (presumably the mother) while listen to Mika beg for help.

Mika is dancing around the room singing.

At the end of the corus Mika is back on the couch and outs his head in his hands.

*Next verse starts

Mika is back in the bar, same position as he just ended, and he looks up (still singing) at the boy again but now the boy is with a young girl.

Mika's table now holds an empty glass and a new full one.

They're messing around and kissing and such, as he was doing with the other boy, when his father walks in.

Mika watches more intensly as the boy starts talking with his father and trying to get his father's attention and asking him for help.

Bridge

Mika is aain in the doctor's office and now Dr. John is mixing a potion of some kind. Mika sings the bridge to him and moves into the chorus as before.

He dances around the room and sings and Dr. John listens and watches.

As the chorus winds down Mika sits back on the couch and lays down, covering his eyes with his arm.

The song ends and Mika is lying in the bar with a few empty glasses on his table.

He'd prolly never do it but that's what I see when I listen to it. :thumb_yello: