Progressive Mika? Please no.

Zsina

I thought I would start a discussion about Mika's 'albums' that previously appeared on his myspace.

EDIT: They were not his albums. Panic over. :biggrin2:

Some of you may know that I absolutely loathe this kind of stuff. Trance, disco,progressive...don't misunderstand me...it's not the music I hate,not the rythm...the sound...those nasty stupid useless computer sounds. I could make a song like that too, no big deal.

He really scared me with those songs...they are awful...they are just empty, not Mika. :huh:

This didn't really bother me until I've heard this new version on RAIN. I've said it on the 'Rain thread' too, I think Mika ruined the song. For me at least. I just totally feel that this repeting computer sound, doesn't fit in there. Gets on my nerves. I love the previous acoustic versions though.

Yeah he turned it to a dance song. But I don't want Mika to have this kind of dance songs. We have the clapping song, Blame it on the girls....it's awesome....WAg....etc.....all great dancing stuff...

But Rain is different somehow...and I just don't like how it turned out. The thunderstorm's good, yeah, but apart from that...it's not something I'd love to listen to. It's faster, has this agressive rythm that ruins the whole intimacy of that beautiful song.

So that was my quick review on Rain...but to go back to the topic:

I don't want Mika to turn into the kind of artist Gaga is. I don't want his songs to be played in discos...

I hate the remixes too! Of WAG for ex. Why do we need them? The actual song has amazing rythm too, I wanna dance to it, everytime I'm listenning to it....so why the remixes? :dunno:

I hope I'm not the onlylonelyone feeling this way.

I thought this could be a good topic to discuss, there will be arguments too I guess, but I would like to hear your opinion too.

Do you like this kind of stuff???.....

Would you mind if Mika created more songs like these in the future?

What do you think of Rain?

etc..

:original:

Edited by Zsina

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be honest... I absolutely hated Rain... maybe it's cause I've only heard a recording of it, but the constant falsetto in Rain sounds whiney... I cannot stand the chorus, the rest is ok...

I will agree with you that I think Mika can do better than using a computer for the whole song... I like hearing songs being played with real instruments! Having said that, I'm happy to listen to computer generated stuff that he makes, as long as it's not the whole album...

I actually wouldn't mind to hear remixes played in a nightclub, it would be different to what it normally played.. as long as they're good remixes!

I guessed LICM could have a more danceable sound than that {even if I preferred the demos to love today & such}, but for TBWKTM the problem could be the opposite...dunno :aah:

mwhaha maybe he's moving from classical basis through synth pop influences to dancefloor house music like Faithless...personally I don't mind the shift of genres till the wiz will make his peculiar kind of music that I may like.

this said...I'm in a The Script / Paloma Faith phase...hope the lil bit of soul by meeks wont show only in a borrowed gospel choir or acute falsetto for the masses preconception of the product MIKA :teehee:

anyway..he's a lucky charismatic beothc, a flamboyant bstrd loaded with positive energy, so his live gigs are gonna go all sold out. Happy? :naughty:

Edited by greta
progressive is the best! x]

I thought I would start a discussion about Mika's 'albums' that previously appeared on his myspace.

Some of you may know that I absolutely loathe this kind of stuff. Trance, disco,progressive...don't misunderstand me...it's not the music I hate,not the rythm...the sound...those nasty stupid useless computer sounds. I could make a song like that too, no big deal.

He really scared me with those songs...they are awful...they are just empty, not Mika. :huh:

This didn't really bother me until I've heard this new version on RAIN. I've said it on the 'Rain thread' too, I think Mika ruined the song. For me at least. I just totally feel that this repeting computer sound, doesn't fit in there. Gets on my nerves. I love the previous acoustic versions though.

Yeah he turned it to a dance song. But I don't want Mika to have this kind of dance songs. We have the clapping song, Blame it on the girls....it's awesome....WAg....etc.....all great dancing stuff...

But Rain is different somehow...and I just don't like how it turned out. The thunderstorm's good, yeah, but apart from that...it's not something I'd love to listen to. It's faster, has this agressive rythm that ruins the whole intimacy of that beautiful song.

So that was my quick review on Rain...but to go back to the topic:

I don't want Mika to turn into the kind of artist Gaga is. I don't want his songs to be played in discos...

I hate the remixes too! Of WAG for ex. Why do we need them? The actual song has amazing rythm too, I wanna dance to it, everytime I'm listenning to it....so why the remixes? :dunno:

I hope I'm not the onlylonelyone feeling this way.

I thought this could be a good topic to discuss, there will be arguments too I guess, but I would like to hear your opinion too.

Do you like this kind of stuff???.....

Would you mind if Mika created more songs like these in the future?

What do you think of Rain?

etc..

:original:

Mika didn't have any other albums on MySpace. There was some other artists' stuff being added due to a glitch with MySpace. No one is quite sure what happened there but it had nothing to do with Mika.

I think you're not entirely correct about Rain. It is not all synthesized and a lot of the sounds are organic as Mika explained on the vlog. I think you'd have a hard time replicating Owen Pallett's violin so don't be so quick to dismiss it as something anyone could do. :naughty:

The remixes are for dance clubs. Maybe you can dance to WAG but really it's not the kind of song suitable for a dance club. Relax, Grace Kelly and Love Today had lots of remixes so this is nothing new. What could possibly be the problem with having his songs played in discos? Obviously this is only going to benefit him. :dunno:

as i said in the rain thread i mostly agree because at the moment [and from what i've heard till now] i prefer not only the acoustic version of rain, but honestly i love the very first version from pdp.. i can't help it, it always gives me goose bumps!! :blush-anim-cl:

generally speaking i think that on that myspace player the sound is too high and metallic, his voice seems even more shrill.. and honestly i think it's unpleasant.. and the speakers of our computers surely don't make a good job on a quality level i guess:blink:

i've had exactly the same feeling listening the sfs songs from the mikasounds player, and i was really scared.. i mean, mika's voice is already high and peculiar, it doesn't need to be edited with a more metallic tone, it would be too much imo

but then listening the sfs cd, i thought that the sound was warmer and i felt relieved!! :thumb_yello:

so my hope is that when we could listen the proper music on a proper player, it will sound way better and hopefully not that progressive!!! :teehee::wink2:

about the remixed versions, i think that they are mostly intended for the discos, radios, or why not for soundtracks, and not for the general sale.. but that's only my opinon, i'm not into music industry of course :biggrin2:

[e.g. i've heard a remix of gk during an episode of ugly betty]

btw, i don't like them either.. :naughty:

the 'problem' is that mika loves that kind of music [progressive, techno or whatever it is] as he said that he can dance only the remixed versions of his songs..

so i don't consider that strange that his new songs are more dance compared with the LICM ones..

another thing to consider is that TBWKTM is a record referring to adolescence, and those are typically the years when you're eager to go to the disco and dance, and probably mika's memories of that period are connected with the discos

[not mine tho, i went to a disco a couple of times in my whole life.. i def don't like it, i've always liked better going to gigs :biggrin2:]

so, to answer your question..

that songs are not my cup of tea generally speaking

but that's mika, he's a wizard, and his magic will do trick for me, i'm sure!! :biggrin2:

Edited by Lil'Violet

I'm exactly the opposite. I am keen to hear Mika in all his incarnations.

In addition to this, I was born in the wrong era, I love dance and trance and I am keenly awaiting what I hope will be some fabulous remixes of Rain!

I hated that song at PDP, but since then Mika has worked his magic and made it into something completely different and exciting!

When I meant "I could dance to rain", I didn't mean dance in a disco or a club. I meant real dancing. Choreographed dancing. The sort of dancing you see on stage in front of a massive audience. It's got the beat to it that can create a dance, unlike Grace Kelly or Big Girl or whatever. Relax is the same as Rain, it's got the beat to make a really good dance.

Question: Do you love or loathe Relax? In my eyes, they're part of the same genre.

Question: Do you love or loathe Relax? In my eyes, they're part of the same genre.

yep, you're right!!

personally i like relax, i love to dance it at gigs, i recognize that it's a powerful song etc

but i really loved it only after hearing the acoustic version, before it was only a commercial disco song to me

now i love it, but if i had to choose, i'd go for the acoustic one :biggrin2:

I'm exactly the opposite. I am keen to hear Mika in all his incarnations.

In addition to this, I was born in the wrong era, I love dance and trance and I am keenly awaiting what I hope will be some fabulous remixes of Rain!

I hated that song at PDP, but since then Mika has worked his magic and made it into something completely different and exciting!

I agree on all counts.

I actually preferred Calvin Harris' vocal mix of WAG to the original when I first heard it although I find the remixes don't hold up over time. But definitely looking forward to the Rain remixes. On average the remixes tend to be mediocre, but there are bound to be a few exceptional ones.

Love Rain!!! and all songs!!!

Mika is the best:)

I agree with you! I prefer Rain on the album. I wasn't too keen on it when I first heard it from the PDP concert. The chorus was (as someone has said) too whiney. I also wasn't keen on BIOTG at first hearing, because I though the chorus let down the song, but on the album it's much better.

All the songs arn't done with lots of electric stuff, and when we saw the vlog with the gospel choir, he said that the sound for WAG was only achieved with the choir, not anything else.

Mika is doing great! His album really is amazing. As for the dance tracks, they are needed because they are played in the clubs!

I trust Mika. He isn't turning into Lady GaGa. His music is still so wonderful!

I feel the same, only, this version of rain I hear on myspace now, there's something that bothers me, something high and sharp but I can't identify what it is :aah: But it sounded amazing in the vids of itunes festival!

I agree with you! I prefer Rain on the album. I wasn't too keen on it when I first heard it from the PDP concert. The chorus was (as someone has said) too whiney. I also wasn't keen on BIOTG at first hearing, because I though the chorus let down the song, but on the album it's much better.

All the songs arn't done with lots of electric stuff, and when we saw the vlog with the gospel choir, he said that the sound for WAG was only achieved with the choir, not anything else.

Mika is doing great! His album really is amazing. As for the dance tracks, they are needed because they are played in the clubs!

agree! I wasn't too keen on PDP version either. Difficult to believe it's the same song!

Mika will always be Mika. He has acoustic versions of his songs, dance remixes, studio versions, etc. It's a smart move as an artist because he can get his music played in a variety of places and build name recognition so that people will go to see his shows.

I like all of the versions of his songs because I like ALL kinds of music. I love that he's versatile and seems to enjoy all of the versions of his songs. It means he isn't locked into being just one thing all of his life. He'll always have the freedom to experiment because he's always experimenting.

Most people are going to love some of his stuff and hate other stuff he does. That's fine because they'll stick around for what they love. The more people who stick around, the longer we get to see him in the spotlight.

Don't worry much about the bits you don't like. He'll still keep creating stuff you do like. He's versatile that way. :wub2:

Mika didn't have any other albums on MySpace. There was some other artists' stuff being added due to a glitch with MySpace. No one is quite sure what happened there but it had nothing to do with Mika.

I think you're not entirely correct about Rain. It is not all synthesized and a lot of the sounds are organic as Mika explained on the vlog. I think you'd have a hard time replicating Owen Pallett's violin so don't be so quick to dismiss it as something anyone could do. :naughty:

The remixes are for dance clubs. Maybe you can dance to WAG but really it's not the kind of song suitable for a dance club. Relax, Grace Kelly and Love Today had lots of remixes so this is nothing new. What could possibly be the problem with having his songs played in discos? Obviously this is only going to benefit him. :dunno:

Okay so:

- there were all these albums added to his myspace, under the name Mika, and they are not his songs.... interesting, I know they are removed...and I'm just happy if they are not his (!) , but it's weird. did he say somethign about them somewhere?

- Yeah, sure I'd have a hard time replicating Owen Pallett, but, I shared my opinion, which is that I don't like how it turned out. Even if they are real instruments, eg. violin, they do not sound real for me. I watched the old vid where he showed us the intro of the clapping song, and the violin.....I liked them, but not like this.

- I meant that "I could do music like that "- to those albums on his myspace, not to Rain, or Owen Pallett. (!!!)

- Yeah, I know it would benefit him,I know they are for clubs, I'm not that dumb yet, haha, but I just still don't like the song remixes. It's not about what would benefit him/what not, I just said I don't like them.

I'm still a fan, no worries lol, I just said that I'm shocked how he turned this beautiful song into an agressive massive hit. I don't like it, but it doesn't mean it's bad, or that it is not quality music. I meant that for the myspace things, in case anyone else misunderstood.

Ha , I love the songs, seriously, but I think we are allowed to critizise, aren't we?

All the songs are catchy and great, I just have this weird feeling about Rain.

Might be because I've always heard it in an acoustic version. I was used to that I guess. Maybe I'll get used to this too lol, but I don't like it yet.

I haven't noticed very much electric sound in the other songs on the album, but in Rain there is somehow 'too much' for my taste. Esp. after the acoustic version.

His music is wonderful of course...I'm not on the wrong fanclub yet...I love all the other songs lol.

So anyway...what's up with those progressive songs on his myspace? Did he comment on them?

Edited by Zsina

Okay so:

- there were all these albums added to his myspace, under the name Mika, and they are not his songs.... interesting, I know they are removed...and I'm just happy if they are not his (!) , but it's weird. did he say somethign about them somewhere?

I think dcdeb mentioned it to Team Mika once because we were curious about all the activity with songs being added to his MySpace at the time. Definitely not Mika songs. :wink2:

- Yeah, I know it would benefit him,I know they are for clubs, I'm not that dumb yet, haha, but I just still don't like the song remixes. It's not about what would benefit him/what not, I just said I don't like them.

You said you didn't want his songs being played in discos. That's what I was addressing since I can't imagine why anyone would object to that.

So anyway...what's up with those progressive songs on his myspace? Did he comment on them?

Mika doesn't even remember the URL to his MySpace. :roftl:

I don't know if he even noticed those songs going up. We probably pay more attention to his page than he does. :teehee:

Mika doesn't even remember the URL to his MySpace. :roftl:

I don't know if he even noticed those songs going up. We probably pay more attention to his page than he does. :teehee:

Huh, weird... but I'm glad they are not his songs after all! :roftl: *happy* :biggrin2:

I think dcdeb mentioned it to Team Mika once because we were curious about all the activity with songs being added to his MySpace at the time. Definitely not Mika songs. :wink2:

You said you didn't want his songs being played in discos. That's what I was addressing since I can't imagine why anyone would object to that.

Yeah, but it's not coz I don't want him to get more famous. I just don't want these 12 year old disco butts to know Mika like this. I would dance like hell to his songs they were played in a disco, coz I love him. I know the real songs.

For ex, there was this classmate of mine showing me a remix of Relax back in high school, and said that "oh yeah, this is great...." and I told him that "no, the real one is loads better"...and he kept telling me that he doesn't care, because the real one sucks, and this disco remix is a good one. So it's not really Mika music he is listenning to, it's more like Mika contributed to a dance hit with his song. That's what I don't want.

Lol, I guess I can't really explain it, but it's really not that I don't want him to get more famous!

I didn't like "Rain" that much on the PDP. There was too much of the falsetto in it. Now don't get me wrong, I love Mika's falsetto and Mika's not Mika without it, but this was simply... An exaggaration. Like my dad said when he heard it, it sounds like someone's choking a cat. :aah: Plus,it made me feel sulky and too sad. With the changed rhytm and way of singing,it makes me feel more empowered, more stubborn, jumping and shouting to the beat:"THEN MOVE ON CAUSE I'M READY FOR!!" :roftl::roftl: It just gives me different feelings.

Still, I think that it kept the tenderness.

I agree that the acoustic version had the intimacy and tenderness and fragility,especially combined with those lyrics,but I can't see what's wrong with adding synthisizer (or whatever it's spelled) and a bit of a dance rhytm to it. It's a matter of tastes at the end of the day,some like it as an acoustic ballad, some like it as a power-pop song.

But I ADORE the final,album version. I already started loving it more when I had heard it in the vlog, but the album version is just perfect. Greg Wells mixed his voice splendidly! Besides, it perfectly remindes me of "Relax",which I really really love in all versions. I think it's the only Mika's song that sounds equally divine in every version.

I've alse read that many folks didn't like the album version of "Blame It On The Girls" - too hip-hoppish and JT alike they said - but I VORSHIP it!!! Mika sounds totally different in it,the different beat, everything. I'm so happy that he's made something new in comparison to other songs on the album. And that's one of the reasons I like this new album so much - because every song sounds different, because Mika's voice and style of singing sound different.

About the remixes, well that's what DJs are for, no?:naughty: I think that there are some rather dreadful remixes of Mika's songs, and some remixes that sound even better than the originals! For example, WAG. :teehee:

And I'm not talking only about Mika's songs, but any musician's songs.

Of course that Mika's songs are unique,but I don't mind other people remixing them to every music genre, just to see how it'd sound, if nothing else. :original:

Edited by keti

khmm...uhh...huhh

WHAT????oh god!!RAIN?BLAME IT ON THE GIRLS?this isn't MIKA these songs are sounds likedisco music...RAAAAIIN???

What a hell did Mika do with these beautiful songs?oh...god!!Don't do any more songs like this!!:shocked::shocked:

Relax is also like a disco song. I think these songs are totally Mika...in my opinion anyway.

I'll say wait till you've heard the full version before you completely hate it :naughty: