Mika in Zone magazine

enigma

There's a short article in Zone magazine (a midlands gay mag) - don't know if it's been posted before??? Can't scan it as scanner has died, but here's what it says:

MIKA ON SONG

A sort of one-man version of the Scissor Sisters, Mika burst onto the pop scene in an explosion of glitter dust. He plays Birmingham this month in support of his second album The Boy Who Knew Too Much. Here he talks about the album, his ambitions, and why he won't reveal his sexuality...

Were you happy with TBWKTM?

Absolutely. I wouldn't have released it if I hadn't been entirely happy. The album was a little darker than my first, and balanced out the first album. It took the fairytales and nursery-rhymes and made them more gothic, so they had more of a Tim Burton style feel to them.

What makes a good Mika song?

A story is essential; a main image. The song needs to be mood-altering, so that if its subject matter is dark, for example, the song twists your expectation by presenting something with an altogether lighter feel.

You tend not to talk about your sexuality - why not?

I want to be without labels. I want to put all my energy into my music. I've said before that I could fall in love with anybody, and that remains true. I also want to retain my privacy. If I sell myself too much there will be nothing left, and that will make it hard to get up in the morning and write songs.

Do you enjoy the life you live now?

My life is about endless travelling but that suits me. I was born in Lebanon, then lived in France and Britain and had some family in Spain, so moving around is what I'm used to. I don't want to feel rooted. I live most of my life in a transient state and that suits me fine.

What's your biggest fear?

Doing something mediocre, without a doubt. I hate the thought of compromising. For me freedom is everything.

What are your ambitions for the future?

I want to take my stage show forward, and continue to produce songs. It is necessary always to have delusions of grandeur because without them how do you aspire to achieve something more? So, I want to be around in ten years, then fifteen years, then twenty years. At the end of that time, the work I have produced will add up to a big statement about me. I will never stop writing songs, and I will always strive to achieve something new.

So, nothing particularly new, but I'm liking the last answer :thumb_yello: Twenty years more of Mika! :thumb_yello:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's a short article in Zone magazine (a midlands gay mag) - don't know if it's been posted before??? Can't scan it as scanner has died, but here's what it says:

MIKA ON SONG

A sort of one-man version of the Scissor Sisters, Mika burst onto the pop scene in an explosion of glitter dust. He plays Birmingham this month in support of his second album The Boy Who Knew Too Much. Here he talks about the album, his ambitions, and why he won't reveal his sexuality...

Absolutely. I wouldn't have released it if I hadn't been entirely happy. The album was a little darker than my first, and balanced out the first album. It took the fairytales and nursery-rhymes and made them more gothic, so they had more of a Tim Burton style feel to them.

A story is essential; a main image. The song needs to be mood-altering, so that if its subject matter is dark, for example, the song twists your expectation by presenting something with an altogether lighter feel.

I want to be without labels. I want to put all my energy into my music. I've said before that I could fall in love with anybody, and that remains true. I also want to retain my privacy. If I sell myself too much there will be nothing left, and that will make it hard to get up in the morning and write songs.

My life is about endless travelling but that suits me. I was born in Lebanon, then lived in France and Britain and had some family in Spain, so moving around is what I'm used to. I don't want to feel rooted. I live most of my life in a transient state and that suits me fine.

Doing something mediocre, without a doubt. I hate the thought of compromising. For me freedom is everything.

I want to take my stage show forward, and continue to produce songs. It is necessary always to have delusions of grandeur because without them how do you aspire to achieve something more? So, I want to be around in ten years, then fifteen years, then twenty years. At the end of that time, the work I have produced will add up to a big statement about me. I will never stop writing songs, and I will always strive to achieve something new.

So, nothing particularly new, but I'm liking the last answer :thumb_yello: Twenty years more of Mika! :thumb_yello:

Thanks for posting:thumb_yello:

I'm liking the last answer too:wink2:

MIKA ON SONG

T4 posting! But 20 next year isn't so long IMO. At least next 30 years he must be around.:thumb_yello:

MIKA ON SONG

I'm so happy to know that when I'm in the Old Folks Home, Mika will still be around and I can get all the other old people in the home to become Mika fans!!

Must make certain I get a decent hearing aid so I can still hear him!

Oh good. I'll be 70 by then. :boxed:

:roftl:

Ah yes, but that doesn't matter, I've got it figured. Caz (who will only be 40) will be able to push us to gigs in our sequinned wheelchairs. Travelling between countries won't be a problem because we'll get those little buggy things at airports that whizz along beeping.

And by the time it really does all get too much, I will have won a living-room gig with my Mika Points, and he will therefore be coming to me, and not the other way round.

Yep. The future looks rosy :thumb_yello:

Oh good. I'll be 70 by then. :boxed:

:roftl:

Bah, still a spring chicken. Just don't break a hip during a stage invasion. :roftl:

Ah yes, but that doesn't matter, I've got it figured. Caz (who will only be 40) will be able to push us to gigs in our sequinned wheelchairs. Travelling between countries won't be a problem because we'll get those little buggy things at airports that whizz along beeping.

And by the time it really does all get too much, I will have won a living-room gig with my Mika Points, and he will therefore be coming to me, and not the other way round.

Yep. The future looks rosy :thumb_yello:

:lmfao:

All sorted. Perfect. :naughty:

T4P!!! :flowers2:

Again?!?!?! :mf_rosetinted::aah:

thank goodness!....that's a good thing!

t4p! :thumb_yello:

Archived