REPORTS/PICS/VIDS: Mika at Leeds Academy 2010-FEB-21

Blue Sky

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, I am half brain dead due to lack of sleep and a terrible cold that I've had since Ireland so I can't think very straight :naughty:, but will try and do a recap of yesterday......

Bab, Danika and I set off from London around 10, on our day roundtrip to Leeds for the gig (yes, madness, I know :roftl:) and found all sorts of terrible weather on the way. It was snowing quite a bit, so we REALLY hoped that we wouldn't have the same luck as on the Sheffield gig day (as Deb said, lightning doesn't strike twice), and that this time we'd make it in good time.

We got to Leeds around 2 I think? and found that there were very few people in the queue so we got nrs 9,10 and 11 I think, or something along those lines......In any case, it was very low. We camped out and did the usual faffing about and freezing, but it was actually not too bad, and the day went past quite fast IMO.

Before we knew it we were about to go into the venue for the chaotic "3 queue system". Earlier in the day, a lady who worked at the venue had told people in the queue that they would let the O2 priority ticket holders in before anyone else. Apparently they could buy tix 48 hours before the gig, and they would go in first. This just sounded so wrong to us, that I had a quick word with John, who then called up the guy working there, and we had a discussion about how this would be quite unfair to everyone who had been waiting there all day, etc. I said that this seemed pretty wrong, considering that most people queuing here had bought the official fanclub/Mikasounds endorsed pre-sale tickets, and would now actually go in last!

The guy said that he'd try and work something out, and John said to leave it with him.

Later on, the security guy came to tell us that we could make a queue for people with O2 sim cards (so they had changed it now so that it was anyone with an O2 phone, not only the special O2 priority tickets) ,and that in order to make it fair, he would actually let us all in at the same time as the "general" queue where the other fans who had been queuing up were standing.

All in all, I think that it more or less worked out. Phew.

The one thing that I will say is that when we went into the venue, we found that only 2/3rds of the front row were available for us, as all the BG/LG posse were standing right there, bang center.

Considering that only one of these people had been queuing there from earlier than us, this seemed highly unfair. At the very least, if they are going to be let in, they should stand to the side and let the people who queued early to take the spots that they have worked for. Many of these BG's turned up arpound 5 pm, so why should they get a better spot than someone who had been there all day? Wrong. Plus all the chaos that they caused when they left their positions after Dr John was, again, a hazard.

It was like in Manchester. You get 6 people to leave the front row center, and immediately you have this massive crowd surge desperately moving forward and squashing everyone else around them. It's very unsafe, and something that I really think Team Mika need to look into. Not to mention of course, the issue of making a mockery of the "first queued, first served" system. Seriously, it was very wrong, I found.

Anyway, the gig. What can I say. Mika said that he was in a weird mood. I say he was on freaking FIRE!!!! It was incredible. Soooo good. We were saying how we never get tired of seeing him and hearing the same songs, but it's just that he's so blooming good, and his voice so perfect, that you can't get tired of it!

He also keeps putting in all these new little elements, like last night, during Relax, he suddenly started singing a few lines from the "I just died in your arms tonight" song. That was pretty unexpected :lmfao: but I loved it.

Also, he was being very "passionate" singing a few songs, like Happy Ending, Any Other World, and Toy Boy, and did his usual incredibly :wub2: eyecontact as we know.

Toy Boy was funny because I said that the puppet was ugly (which I have said from the first day that I saw that thing :aah:) and he heard it, so he asked "who said uggly puppet?" and then he proceeded to comfort the puppet telling him: "don't listen to her, she's a nasty bitch" :roftl:. That was SO hilarious!!!

Then he accused me of killing the puppet and asked if I was "f*cking happy" about killing him. I think that at this point he said that he had hardly slept and that he was in a funny mood, and some guy asked if he'd marry him, and Mika said something like yes or maybe. You can hear it all in my Toy Boy video, it's quite funny.

Hmmm...what else? Ah yes during Lollipop, when they do the initial drumming, Bab Dan and I were going ooooh or aaaah or making some noise every time that he hit the thingies, and he laughed and gave us the finger :lmfao: rude Mika, hahahha. It was just a real laugh.

Afterwards he came out for a bit, as he does, and that was when I said to him that I loved him despite his nasty comments, and he said that it was "reciprocal" :roftl:. He was really funny last night, I found. He looked really nice too, in that cozy hoody/fleexy/jackety thing he is wearing.

Anyway, I think that this is my report :naughty:.

Very funny. I fell around when I saw your video! :wink2:

"Sometimes you get clothes or accessories, and you don't want to tell them that you'll never wear them."

:tears::sneaky2:

I'd rather he tell me. :shun:

The video is private now, so I can't watch it.

But, from the quote you posted, there's still hope. The key word there is: sometimes. :mf_rosetinted:

from flickr

leeds04.png

Those are amazing photos!

DSC05825.jpg

Yay, you all look SO nice! :biggrin2:

Edited by iadoremika

I just realised today that I had forgotten to upload a few videos from Leeds :doh: , here they are:

Mika – Any Other World @ O2 Academy in Leeds 210210

Mika – Blue Eyes @ O2 Academy in Leeds 210210

Mika – Happy Ending @ O2 Academy in Leeds 210210

I just realised today that I had forgotten to upload a few videos from Leeds :doh: , here they are:

Thanks Sara, I've enjoyed watching them. :wub2:

Well, that is exactly what I told Andy on cam when he was interviewing me. I mean, the visual show is stunning, and I do appreciate it, I really do. I can see the beauty of it, and the interest that it may hold for many, so I'm not actually dismissing it. It's just that sometimes (and funny you say that, because I actually quoted PDP when I told him that, and said that I dont' watch the DVD because his singing there is not up to his usual standard) it has really gone down the pan just because of moving around too much and focusing on the "show" too much. If he can do both, great. But I think that if it starts impacting his singing, then he needs to cut down on flashy stuff and focus on the actual singing.

I have noticed though that on this tour Mika seems to be striking a good balance. Maybe I've been lucky to see mostly the small set shows and this helped, but I found that he has gotten better at the singing (if that can be :naughty:) and even songs like Toy Boy where he used to rush them, he is focusing on them a lot more and taking his time to sing it properly, so it's stunning :wub2:.

At the end of the day, we may sound harsh to some when we comment on these things, but personally I just want the best for him, and for him to get better and better. If he's doing something like not singing properly because he's focusing on showiness to much, I think that it's definitely in his interest to change that :dunno: Nobody wants him to end up pulling a "Cheryl Cole at the Brits" scenario, right? Looking pretty and doing a nice routine, but not singing cr@p :roftl:.

Mika's way too talented to fall into that trap. But for what I can see, he's doing really well right now and the new show manages to balance both elements out very well.

I do love the new show, but as I said to Andy, if Mika is standing there in front of me all I want is to hear him sing and look at his face when he's doing it. The show and flashy stuff is wasted on me at that time, because I only want to look at him.

OMG I would pay good money to see that :lmfao:

I acctually agree with some of these points (I bolded them), cos at Little Noise it was beautiful to just sit there listening to his stunning voice and watch his beautiful facial expressions, that was a pure treat, But for a full on show I think he DOES have the balance spot on this time now I have seen the show a few times. He has a mixture of "sock it to them in the eye" songs and "STFU and hear this this voice man" songs.

I LOVE the book backdrop, especially his sketched animated face, when his eyes slowly open and stuff :blush-anim-cl:

I think every detail in his visuals are there for a purpose to tell a story HIS story, some of it I get some of it I havn't yet cos I'm probably missing it when I look or listen to my fave parts of the show or song etc. (It his ploy to make us want to keep going so we never get bored of it lol).:thumb_yello:

I have found his perfoming of his songs now has totally blown me away more than before I didnt think that it could. He's not just singing his songs, like in Dr John for example I get soooo many emotions and messages from his body language and facial expressions, he is trying and for me succeeding to show me what he wants us to see in his songs, it's kinda like what I FEEl when I hear a certain line or a particular way he empathizes ONE word maybe, is now much more potent when I see his facial expression or his body language or movements.

I totally ADORE that, it pulls me soo seep into what he's doing, just a little thing like the timing of the red lights during Golden :shocked: and his performance of Golden in Manchester was the most heartfelt I have ever seen him do it, I told him so in Glasgow after I'd been a BG and he thanked me and said it was really nice that I remembered it so much cos he couldnt remember what he had done lol:teehee:, I think he was just SOOO into what he was doing that his movements just came naturally but they were exaclty what I would picture for the strong emotions that part of the song is expressing, fooking loved that, only found one little vid of it so far though.

lovely vids:wub2: t4p sara

btw it must be the first time that i see on of your posts that has words not written in purple:roftl:

I acctually agree with some of these points (I bolded them), cos at Little Noise it was beautiful to just sit there listening to his stunning voice and watch his beautiful facial expressions, that was a pure treat, But for a full on show I think he DOES have the balance spot on this time now I have seen the show a few times. He has a mixture of "sock it to them in the eye" songs and "STFU and hear this this voice man" songs.

I LOVE the book backdrop, especially his sketched animated face, when his eyes slowly open and stuff :blush-anim-cl:

I think every detail in his visuals are there for a purpose to tell a story HIS story, some of it I get some of it I havn't yet cos I'm probably missing it when I look or listen to my fave parts of the show or song etc. (It his ploy to make us want to keep going so we never get bored of it lol).:thumb_yello:

I have found his perfoming of his songs now has totally blown me away more than before I didnt think that it could. He's not just singing his songs, like in Dr John for example I get soooo many emotions and messages from his body language and facial expressions, he is trying and for me succeeding to show me what he wants us to see in his songs, it's kinda like what I FEEl when I hear a certain line or a particular way he empathizes ONE word maybe, is now much more potent when I see his facial expression or his body language or movements.

I totally ADORE that, it pulls me soo seep into what he's doing, just a little thing like the timing of the red lights during Golden :shocked: and his performance of Golden in Manchester was the most heartfelt I have ever seen him do it, I told him so in Glasgow after I'd been a BG and he thanked me and said it was really nice that I remembered it so much cos he couldnt remember what he had done lol:teehee:, I think he was just SOOO into what he was doing that his movements just came naturally but they were exaclty what I would picture for the strong emotions that part of the song is expressing, fooking loved that, only found one little vid of it so far though.

well said. :thumb_yello: agree esp. with the bolded parts.

Maybe I've been lucky to see mostly the small set shows and this helped, but I found that he has gotten better at the singing (if that can be :naughty:) and even songs like Toy Boy where he used to rush them, he is focusing on them a lot more and taking his time to sing it properly, so it's stunning :wub2:.

I have a nice memory of the fast vs slow performance question from Belfast..

When David started to play it on the keyboards Mika instructed him to play it faster and I shouted at him "No, slower':naughty:

I guess Mika might have even heard it..:teehee:

• 5 months later...
I know, I'm dead pleased with it all. 3 set lists, 3 signed tix and 2 balloons. I'm not sure my luck will continue much more. But I can hope.

I got so much eye contact tonight, he keeps looking at me since I said he always gives me evils from the stage and he's all smiley now. :fangurl:

Hahaha I'll let Sara dish the deets. I THINK if you watch my Toy Boy gig you'll get it all. I think. At least I think it was Sara who shouted out, hahaha.

And Viv and I are being Big Girls/Lollipop Girls in Glasgow tomorrow. We asked John after the show and he just said 'be there at 4'. And Viv asked Mika about Freddie being Big Girl in Newcastle, and it looks like it COULD happen. Perhaps. He said 'maybe' though I think the more he thinks about it the more he'll be up for it. XD

Photos are great tonight. They're going up at: http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad129/Lozzington/MIKA%20Leeds%2021022010/

OMG!! I just discovered your pics!! :wub2::wub2:

Thank you so much! I had given up hope that anyone had taken any pics of that night. I've been browsing for pics to use for my BG story for the Yearbook....do you think I could use a couple of your pics?

• 3 weeks later...