Mika's new "kick-ass" single

LilStar

Mika: 'Kick-Ass'

rating_4stars.gif

Released on Tuesday, March 23 2010

By Robert Copsey

Post-'We Are Golden', Mika's career trajectory has taken one hell of a nosedive. After 'Rain' and 'Blame It On The Girls' both stalled - somewhat eerily - at number 72 on the charts, the bigwigs appear to have stormed the cockpit to reverse his descent. The result? 'Kick-Ass', a one-off collaboration with producer-du-jour RedOne promoting the film of the same name.

The verses have all the usual Mika ingredients - a handful of quirky lyrics, a dash of piano and a sprinkling of his trademark wail - and it's only when the chorus kicks in that we hear the RedOne effect. Against some serious synths and heavy Auto-Tuning, Mika proclaims: "We are young / We are strong / We're not looking for where we belong." The combination of sonic trademarks actually works remarkably well, creating a pop stomper that's empowering, oh-so-contemporary and packed with personality. The result? Mika shouldn't need to worry about a crash landing just yet.

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/singlesreviews/a210264/mika-kick-ass.html

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mika: 'Kick-Ass'

rating_4stars.gif

Released on Tuesday, March 23 2010

By Robert Copsey

Post-'We Are Golden', Mika's career trajectory has taken one hell of a nosedive. After 'Rain' and 'Blame It On The Girls' both stalled - somewhat eerily - at number 72 on the charts, the bigwigs appear to have stormed the cockpit to reverse his descent. The result? 'Kick-Ass', a one-off collaboration with producer-du-jour RedOne promoting the film of the same name.

The verses have all the usual Mika ingredients - a handful of quirky lyrics, a dash of piano and a sprinkling of his trademark wail - and it's only when the chorus kicks in that we hear the RedOne effect. Against some serious synths and heavy Auto-Tuning, Mika proclaims: "We are young / We are strong / We're not looking for where we belong." The combination of sonic trademarks actually works remarkably well, creating a pop stomper that's empowering, oh-so-contemporary and packed with personality. The result? Mika shouldn't need to worry about a crash landing just yet.

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/singlesreviews/a210264/mika-kick-ass.html

Kewl!:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

Pop Stomper!

Hell ya!

i think the lyrics go "running with God on our knees " not blood, that's what it sounds like to me anyway.

No, no, no. I don't get why people are hearing God. There's a distinctive "bl" sound, plus God and blood do actually sound different. It's 100% blood.

And why the hell would God be on your knees FFS? :aah:

Seriously...dudes and dudettes...it makes no sense :roftl: At least, not to me. Blood makes way more sense and...oh...they're also actually the lyrics :biggrin2:

Sorry, I don't know why I'm being blunt and a bit sarcastic in my posts. I'm blaming it on the hormones.

And why the hell would God be on your knees FFS? :aah:

Seriously...dudes and dudettes...it makes no sense :roftl: At least, not to me. Blood makes way more sense and...oh...they're also actually the lyrics :biggrin2:

Sorry, I don't know why I'm being blunt and a bit sarcastic in my posts. I'm blaming it on the hormones.

That is interesting.

I always blame it on, "somebody pis*ed in your cheerios."

That it was I think of everytime you are "blunt & a bit sarcastic."

:roftl::roftl::roftl::roftl:

Sorry!:teehee::shocked:

Sort of. :roftl::roftl:

That is interesting.

I always blame it on, "somebody pis*ed in your cheerios."

That it was I think of everytime you are "blunt & a bit sarcastic."

:roftl::roftl:

Sorry!:teehee::shocked:

Sort of. :roftl:

What? :aah:

GOD WTF :lmfao:

And I thought some of my misheard lyrics were bizarre :teehee:

Oh she's not the only one who thinks it's "God". For realz. Quite a few people hear it :boxed:

What? :aah:

Oh she's not the only one who thinks it's "God". For realz. Quite a few people hear it :boxed:

What do you mean? I've got god on my lap right now! Quite the looker you know :das:

WHAT?! :roftl:

People keep hearing "God" instead of "Blood".

I know! Damn, I'm stalking this thread damnit! :roftl: I was just pointing out that god CAN be on your knees!

But I think it's like children - children are the ones who have blood (scratches) on their knees.

I know! Damn, I'm stalking this thread damnit! :roftl: I was just pointing out that god CAN be on your knees!

But I think it's like children - children are the ones who have blood (scratches) on their knees.

Blood about being on your knees is about being care-free, I think.

Blood about being on your knees is about being care-free, I think.

I agree! That's what I meant - kids fall down, get hurt, get up and just run along! :teehee: Sorry, this is not the lyrics discussion

WHAT?! :roftl:

People keep hearing "God" instead of "Blood".

No kidding? I clearly hear blood, can't be anything else from my point of view...

But hey, it's kind of a relief to know that some English speakers are not sure about English lyrics sometimes, it sure can be hard work for non native speakers :wink2: