Times Online: Mika at the Apollo, London W6

Anzuzu

Hi!

I just found this review of Mika's London gigs.

March 2, 2010

Mika at the Apollo, London W6

David Sinclair

Just three years ago Mika was the anointed one. Second only to Amy Winehouse in the bestseller list of 2007, his first album, Life in Cartoon Motion, was a hit around the world, selling more than five million copies. The follow-up last year, The Boy Who Knew Too Much, repeated the formula — a little too closely, perhaps — and has not fared nearly as well.

These days the continuous hysterical search for the Next Big Thing means that mainstream stars are discarded as soon as they become the Last Big Thing. But Mika will always be a star in his own head. And the ardour of his hardcore fans certainly showed no sign of cooling at the first of two unapologetically brash shows at the Apollo.

It began with a clanging school bell and a splash of white light that was like cold water on the face at the start of the day. On stage a “boy” sat at a school desk scrawling and scraping away on an exercise book, while drawings and doodles appeared on a giant notebook that served as a backdrop for the whole show. Goodness knows what it all meant, or for that matter what was represented by the procession of Mardi Gras-type dancers in grotesque headdresses who appeared now and then.

For despite these and other attempts at schoolboy symbolism, a Mika show is not the time or place for deep thought. Bounding on in a skinny penguin jacket and even skinnier black jeans, the 26-year-old singer pranced and pouted his way through the opening song, Rain, while describing a similar arc of activity with his shrill falsetto voice. Going into full Freddie Mercury mode for Big Girl (You Are Beautiful), he thrust his chest out and declared his appreciation of the fuller female form while dodging a giant inflatable woman’s leg, which achieved a rather startling tumescence as the song progressed.

Stuck in the Middle began with Mika playing an upright piano and leading the way through a complicated stretch of harmony-scat singing. It ended with him dancing on top of the piano, playing a “trumpet” solo (with his voice through his hands), all part of a ceaseless merry-go-round of vaudevillian activity that entertained and distracted attention — although not completely — from any shortcomings in the songs.

There was apparently a technical problem with the band’s equipment, which would have gone unnoticed if Mika had not been at pains to point it out. But like everything in this gaudy production, the issue was quickly skated over as they went tumbling into the grand finale of Grace Kelly and Lollipop. A wave of dancers, balloons, stilt-walkers, a giant inflatable doll and an explosion of confetti and streamers was unleashed as the ensemble went for the finish line. It was like being part of a Jim Carrey movie, albeit without the jokes.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/live_reviews/article7045597.ece

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved last nights show 28th feb didnt even realised had electical glitches until my support worker Hayley told later on I was too busy dancing and screamng Mikas name I got abit carried away with excitment I enjoyed the show better than Manchester one and that was good too but had more fun in Londons one glad to see Mika still loves to spend time with his fans nice to see that not changed after 3 years still kind and polite love the way he speaks nice n gentle even Hayley was impressed how nice he is to talk to

Are you f*cking kidding?

The person gave it 3/5...so...why not post what you thought was good about it, since you thought it wasn't a complete shambles even though that's the image you put across in your review?

Idiot.

Hi!

March 2, 2010

David Sinclair

Just three years ago Mika was the anointed one. Second only to Amy Winehouse in the bestseller list of 2007, his first album, Life in Cartoon Motion, was a hit around the world, selling more than five million copies. The follow-up last year, The Boy Who Knew Too Much, repeated the formula — a little too closely, perhaps — and has not fared nearly as well.

These days the continuous hysterical search for the Next Big Thing means that mainstream stars are discarded as soon as they become the Last Big Thing. But Mika will always be a star in his own head. And the ardour of his hardcore fans certainly showed no sign of cooling at the first of two unapologetically brash shows at the Apollo.

It began with a clanging school bell and a splash of white light that was like cold water on the face at the start of the day. On stage a “boy” sat at a school desk scrawling and scraping away on an exercise book, while drawings and doodles appeared on a giant notebook that served as a backdrop for the whole show. Goodness knows what it all meant, or for that matter what was represented by the procession of Mardi Gras-type dancers in grotesque headdresses who appeared now and then.

For despite these and other attempts at schoolboy symbolism, a Mika show is not the time or place for deep thought. Bounding on in a skinny penguin jacket and even skinnier black jeans, the 26-year-old singer pranced and pouted his way through the opening song, Rain, while describing a similar arc of activity with his shrill falsetto voice. Going into full Freddie Mercury mode for Big Girl (You Are Beautiful), he thrust his chest out and declared his appreciation of the fuller female form while dodging a giant inflatable woman’s leg, which achieved a rather startling tumescence as the song progressed.

Stuck in the Middle began with Mika playing an upright piano and leading the way through a complicated stretch of harmony-scat singing. It ended with him dancing on top of the piano, playing a “trumpet” solo (with his voice through his hands), all part of a ceaseless merry-go-round of vaudevillian activity that entertained and distracted attention — although not completely — from any shortcomings in the songs.

There was apparently a technical problem with the band’s equipment, which would have gone unnoticed if Mika had not been at pains to point it out. But like everything in this gaudy production, the issue was quickly skated over as they went tumbling into the grand finale of Grace Kelly and Lollipop. A wave of dancers, balloons, stilt-walkers, a giant inflatable doll and an explosion of confetti and streamers was unleashed as the ensemble went for the finish line. It was like being part of a Jim Carrey movie, albeit without the jokes.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/live_reviews/article7045597.ece

Sad. And that was very mean.:sneaky2: He hasn't even mentioned either of his new songs. Repeating only clichees about Mercury, Big Girls and stuff.:aah: Lame.

What I just DO NOT get with this review is this: he gave it 3 out of 5 stars, which isn't BAD. So...where is the praise? Where are the positive comments??We certainly know what he DIDN'T like, or understand. So what DID he appreciate, for it to be worth a score of 3 out of 5??

He may as well have given it 0 out of 5. :teehee:

???

:naughty: t4p

Im not a violent person, but i actually want to punch this author in the head :boxed:

What a ba**ard!! :thumb_yello:

His life must be so boring with that sort of outlook on life... "Dude, your perspective on life sucks!"

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT! :wub2::wub2::wub2: I went BOTH nights!!!

:wub2:

Stupid person! I'll admit though that I wish TBWKTM had been the runnaway success that LICM was. Mika's second album is even better than the first imo, but the fact that TBWKTM hasn't done as well in the UK, just gives these stupid reviewers ammunition to shoot Mika down with!

I was at Hammersmith on the 1st March! The show was beyond amazing and Mika's voice was unbelievably good! Just like in Manchester.

Sad. And that was very mean.:sneaky2: He hasn't even mentioned either of his new songs. Repeating only clichees about Mercury, Big Girls and stuff.:aah: Lame.

Yes, I picked up on that. How rude and how 2007 of him.

What I just DO NOT get with this review is this: he gave it 3 out of 5 stars, which isn't BAD. So...where is the praise? Where are the positive comments??We certainly know what he DIDN'T like, or understand. So what DID he appreciate, for it to be worth a score of 3 out of 5??

???

That's what I said! What a moose.

That's what I said! What a moose.

Haha yes, I didn't read any of the other posts before posting my own comment (I was too incensed :naughty:), but then afterwards I read yours and saw you'd put the same thing. So it MUST be true :mf_rosetinted:.

A moose? No, I suspect a moose has more intelligence and critical ability.

Yeah! He mentioned only Rain and that comment was not-so-positive either… :hair:

Are you f*cking kidding?

The person gave it 3/5...so...why not post what you thought was good about it, since you thought it wasn't a complete shambles even though that's the image you put across in your review?

Idiot.

???

Exactly. :thumb_yello: It’s really hard to get his stupid point.

Maybe he's just the kind of reviewer who believes that it sounds clever if he criticizes everything... Well, it definitely doesn't. :thumbdown: It's more than annoying when statements like "Mika show is not the time or place for deep thought" are coming from a person who doesn't seem to be the deepest thinker himself. :bash:

Exactly. :thumb_yello: It’s really hard to get his stupid point.

Maybe he's just the kind of reviewer who believes that it sounds clever if he criticizes everything... Well, it definitely doesn't. :thumbdown: It's more than annoying when statements like "Mika show is not the time or place for deep thought" are coming from a person who doesn't seem to be the deepest thinker himself. :bash:

yes I saw that and was like "are you f*cking kidding me?" :blink:

:aah: He's a singer, songwriter and a performer.. why do they always forget to mention anything about his amazing voice, songs and his presence and charisma on stage? :blink:

Hi!

March 2, 2010

David Sinclair

I find David Sinclair's critique like a book without a story.

I agree with my fellow MFCer, "Some people just don't get it" and "Are you F*cking kidding?"

:roftl::roftl:

WHAT A MUPPET!!!

No, sorry, that's actually an insult to The Muppets, who are clearly a lot more intelligent and articulate than this idiot.

If he had bothered to read or listen to any press Mika had done, to promote the album, he'd have understood the concept of the show.

But instead he resorted to the sort of lazy journalism, I expect to see from tabloids, not papers of such higher standards as The Times!

My rating of this review: 0 stars!

I saw him in Leeds and loved it, he was really knackered but still gave a fab show!. That journalist obviously doesnt know a good show when he sees one:shocked::shocked::shocked::naughty::naughty::biggrin2:

hello margaret :bye: Welcome to the MFC :thumb_yello:

he can be whatever we name him, but he's a critic of the timesoline...this is worrying.

why mika hasn't received good reviews after the gigs of the UK tour....or i missed them?

he always got good reviews in the manchester paper, and i saw nothing. pls deny me if i'm wrong.

this IS worrying.

they cannot be ALL moroons, the critics i mean, and the papers.

he can be whatever we name him, but he's a critic of the timesoline...this is worrying.

why mika hasn't received good reviews after the gigs of the UK tour....or i missed them?

he always got good reviews in the manchester paper, and i saw nothing. pls deny me if i'm wrong.

this IS worrying.

they cannot be ALL moroons, the critics i mean, and the papers.

:blink:

Archived