Times Online: Mika at the Apollo, London W6

Anzuzu

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know why people are targeting him so badly.

It seems to be that they just don't get him, or refuse to, because it might mean that it'll show they have a spark of imagination, and artistic vision in their lives.

I've always thought this about most critics, they like to talk the talk, but not walk the walk, with only a few notable exceptions (Chrissie Hynde, Neil Tennant and just recently Jonathan Ross, doing is own graphic novel).

I tend to take anything critics say with a pinch of salt, and make my own mind up about a show or whatever.

I simply don't understand it. Hammersmith Apollo is a sizeable venue that was sold out and as far as I could see, everyone was having the time of their lives. Prats. Mika's set is a lot better than it used to be and it's become more of a show instead of Mika just standing in front of a mic. Isn't that what people want - a show?

why did know no one get the BG/LG's going on stage at around the Love Today mark?? was it really that hard to piece together or did i really read WAAY too far into it???

he isn't everyone's cup of tea, fair enough, but send someone who likes him for the love of johnny!!

xx

I simply don't understand it. Hammersmith Apollo is a sizeable venue that was sold out and as far as I could see, everyone was having the time of their lives. Prats. Mika's set is a lot better than it used to be and it's become more of a show instead of Mika just standing in front of a mic. Isn't that what people want - a show?

Critics go in to be critical, they don't go in to have a good time. That's why you should never pay too much attention to what they say.

It'd be nice if they were called 'Praisers' instead.

Maybe I'll start a magazine, full of GOOD stuff, or stuff that's potentially good, but needs a bit of work and my constructive criticism would be helpful.

This guy just sounded like he didn't want to use more than a single brain cell, and refused to WATCH the show. He just stood there and frowned. Psssht.

Critics go in to be critical, they don't go in to have a good time. That's why you should never pay too much attention to what they say.

It'd be nice if they were called 'Praisers' instead.

Maybe I'll start a magazine, full of GOOD stuff, or stuff that's potentially good, but needs a bit of work and my constructive criticism would be helpful.

This guy just sounded like he didn't want to use more than a single brain cell, and refused to WATCH the show. He just stood there and frowned. Psssht.

A critic is supposed to write their opinion on something, which is exactly what he's done, but...correct me if I am wrong...isn't criticism meant to be balanced? The pros, the cons, the conclusion...? I mean, the dude gave it 3/5 but wrote a review that basically just said it was a bit sh*t. Which, if it was a bit sh*t, then it would have gotten less than 3 stars, right?

he can be whatever we name him, but he's a critic of the timesoline...this is worrying.

why mika hasn't received good reviews after the gigs of the UK tour....or i missed them?

he always got good reviews in the manchester paper, and i saw nothing. pls deny me if i'm wrong.

this IS worrying.

they cannot be ALL moroons, the critics i mean, and the papers.

Exactly my thoughts. The reputation of the paper like timesonline must guarantee to their readers a ballanced and professional review even though the critic himself isn't the huge fan of some artist. But in this particular case I get impression as he has delibaretely intentioned to humiliate Mika artistic "ambitions" especially with the statement that his world success is supposed to be some illusion except in his own head:sneaky2:

I'm back in France and at home. I saw the 2 London concerts (the 2nd I was a BG :roftl: ). I loved the first concert but I notice that it had sound problems. Some of my friends who was doing BG the 28th told me that Mika said that the show was bad and he was really upset and sad. I was really sad for him.

I'm back in France and at home. I saw the 2 London concerts (the 2nd I was a BG :roftl: ). I loved the first concert but I notice that it had sound problems. Some of my friends who was doing BG the 28th told me that Mika said that the show was bad and he was really upset and sad. I was really sad for him.

The sound problems can't be the reason for such stupid and malitious review though.:naughty:

Some of my friends who was doing BG the 28th told me that Mika said that the show was bad and he was really upset and sad. I was really sad for him.

I heard he wasn't too happy after Belfast either but he's a big boy. He'll get over it. :naughty:

I have to agree with Greta. Some people just don't like Marmite. And it will be forever thus.

I heard he wasn't too happy after Belfast either but he's a big boy. He'll get over it. :naughty:

This is funny, because I really loved Belfast :wub2: And I think he did really well in the first London show. So many technical problems, but he handled them well. But he wasn't happy, he looked so annoyed when he was starting Grace Kelly and all Toy Boy things etc were in the middle of the stage...

Odd, because I never noticed any sound problems at all. :blink:

really? when did he say that? would love to know his opinion about the belfast gig, because like i said before, it also somehow didn't feel right for me. judging from the mfc comments, i thought i was the only one, but if mika thinks so as well, i can't be that wrong. :teehee: the london gig was definitely a lot better imo - well, the part i saw of it. :naughty:

btw, the article also was in the newspaper, here's a pic i took:

wstmvd.jpg

that part "goodness knows what it all meant (etc.)" made me really angry - the guy neither did any research nor does he have any sort of fantasy. he's just one of those people who simply don't get mika and what he's doing. :aah:

with one thing that guy is right though: most wouldn't have noticed the problems, if mika hadn't mentioned it. i didn't notice from the back, actually during the gig i thought he did "my interpretation" because the crowd was cheering so much that he spontaneously decided to add another song. watching my video now, i can see that he wasn't happy - but i couldn't see his face expression at the gig, he was too far away and i could see the zoom on his face only in the tiny camera screen, not possible to notice such details there.

anyway, i don't mind if not everything's going smoothly, but it depends on mika what he makes of it - whether it becomes a really funny situation or whether he reacts like he did in london - heaven knows why, maybe he felt some sort of pressure because it was his home gig? for him and for us, the funniest gigs are when he doesn't give a sh*t and just laughs and makes fun of it if something goes wrong/not like planned. :biggrin2: like in oakland, of which he said it was one of his fave gigs. :bleh:

really? when did he say that? would love to know his opinion about the belfast gig, because like i said before, it also somehow didn't feel right for me. judging from the mfc comments, i thought i was the only one, but if mika thinks so as well, i can't be that wrong. :teehee: the london gig was definitely a lot better imo - well, the part i saw of it. :naughty:

btw, the article also was in the newspaper, here's a pic i took:

wstmvd.jpg

that part "goodness knows what it all meant (etc.)" made me really angry - the guy neither did any research nor does he have any sort of fantasy. he's just one of those people who simply don't get mika and what he's doing. :aah:

with one thing that guy is right though: most wouldn't have noticed the problems, if mika hadn't mentioned it. i didn't notice from the back, actually during the gig i thought he did "my interpretation" because the crowd was cheering so much that he spontaneously decided to add another song. watching my video now, i can see that he wasn't happy - but i couldn't see his face expression at the gig, he was too far away and i could see the zoom on his face only in the tiny camera screen, not possible to notice such details there.

anyway, i don't mind if not everything's going smoothly, but it depends on mika what he makes of it - whether it becomes a really funny situation or whether he reacts like he did in london - heaven knows why, maybe he felt some sort of pressure because it was his home gig? for him and for us, the funniest gigs are when he doesn't give a sh*t and just laughs and makes fun of it if something goes wrong/not like planned. :biggrin2: like in oakland, of which he said it was one of his fave gigs. :bleh:

You could certainly notice from the front!

The smoke during I See You made it impossible to see the stage, and I'm sure Mika couldn't see where he was walking at one point!

The inflatable leg didn't inflate when it was supposed to, I felt sorry for Bubble, the guy who handles the FX, because you could see on his face the desperation to get the leg inflated, and the look on Mikas face of growing impatience that nothing was going right at that point!

Didn't realise about Davids keyboard problem until Mika mentioned it, and the procession, seemed to go on for ever, and Mika didn't look too happy that it was.

really? when did he say that? would love to know his opinion about the belfast gig, because like i said before, it also somehow didn't feel right for me. judging from the mfc comments, i thought i was the only one, but if mika thinks so as well, i can't be that wrong. :teehee:

One of the crew mentioned it in Dublin. I really have no idea what went "wrong" because I didn't notice any disasters and only heard about David falling afterwards. I think there was just a general sense that they weren't ready to perform for a proper audience and were still at the dress rehearsal stage.

I hope I can get to more gigs later this year to see how things are progressing. I was totally happy with the Irish shows but it's amazing how quickly things change and become more polished.

for him and for us, the funniest gigs are when he doesn't give a sh*t and just laughs and makes fun of it if something goes wrong/not like planned. :biggrin2: like in oakland, of which he said it was one of his fave gigs. :bleh:

Yes I agree. I think WE were more tense about Oakland than he was and everyone was having a great time by the end. Conversely if Mika's stressing about it on stage it's only going to make things worse IMO. People are always picking up on his vibe, whether it's good or bad.

Mika doesn't have to float on critics reviews. Audiences love him and that's what makes Mika big. Not the artists who were loved by critics became legends. Those who are loved by audiences do.

he's just one of those people who simply don't get mika and what he's doing. :aah:

Mika doesn't have to float on critics reviews. Audiences love him and that's what makes Mika big. Not the artists who were loved by critics became legends. Those who are loved by audiences do.

I agree with both those points... it is irritating that critics often don't get what Mika is trying to do. I figure it doesn't matter if they don't get it, but if we get it that's the main thing.

I'm not gonna pay a great deal of attention to the critics. They have their job to do. :dunno:

Well really why would we expect all reviewers to get what he's trying to do? Honestly I can't work out half of what Mika is trying to do the first time I see one of his shows either. And that's after hearing him talk about his ideas beforehand. If Mika hadn't told his adolescent angst/WAG inspiration stories 1000 times I wouldn't have known exactly what was going on with David in a school uniform either.

Andy even asked us about it the next day to see that we got the intro and picked up on the transformation Mika underwent when he put on the Dr. John coat, etc.

Mika is doing musical theatre but it's not a play. There is a lot of text missing here and someone who isn't already wrapped up in his world isn't necessarily going to interpret everything they see accurately or know how they are supposed to interpret it at all.

I was at the first show with the animal costumes and I had no idea WTF was going on. I STILL don't know WTF that was about. :lmfao: I just liked the madness of it all, but some people won't. It's not a crime to have different tastes from Mika fans. :naughty:

Archived