REPORTS/PICS/VIDS: Mika @ Annexet Stockholm, Sweden: MARCH 18 2010

Droopsy

Hehe, we even crossed the water from south to north. It saved us a walk via the tower. :naughty:

I found a couple of reviews in Swedish. A Google translation doesn't make sense to me, maybe one of you locals can translate? I don't know if they have been posted though. :blush-anim-cl:

http://gaffa.se/recension/37992

From Gaffa:

You get carried away for the moment by Mika, but he lacks depth.

Say what you will about Mika, but the energy he has. Happy one. The only thing I expect from this show was that it would be colourful, and that was it. Both in terms of lights, backdrops with stunning creative animation, band clothes, and so the music.

When Mika finally kicks off after quite a valiant effort to be committed by Swedish artist Ola Joyce, I find myself smiling. The concert started with a bang with his last single, "Rain". After this, a popular hit, "Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)" got the audience to burst into singing (they also had a blown up a giant female leg covering almost the whole scene!). Talk about singing joy and Mika and his band playing pleasure is catching. In "Blame It On The Girls' Mika parts up the audience in two and get everyone to sing of their lungs.

That is, if you are pretty far back, it's a bit difficult to see what happens on stage in the Annex. Anyone who is not as long (read: me) wished that the scene was more elevated than it is. Mika is wearing one strange creation after the other (high hat, coat, coat with fluorescent feathers, a silver sparkling umbrella) and it is a bit difficult to see. The place is otherwise just the right size for Mika. It is not packed, but the better the atmosphere from a very enthusiastic audience.

A rather long party in this one and half hour-long concert makes me lose interest a bit and becoming tired of falsetto singing. It is also visible that part of the audience do not really care. But when the huge hit "Love Today" is played, a sudden new energy (including the band) is carried away. And "We Are Golden" course, which drowns the audience in gold confetti.

Finally, Mika sings his breakthrough hit "Grace Kelly", which is a nice rounding of a loving and colorful but uneven concert. You get carried away for the moment of Mika, and all his antics, but he is not an artist with further depth.

I hope it's alright, I didn't work it through so carefully but I think you get the gist of it!:thumb_yello:

Hehe, we even crossed the water from south to north. It saved us a walk via the tower. :naughty:

I found a couple of reviews in Swedish. A Google translation doesn't make sense to me, maybe one of you locals can translate? I don't know if they have been posted though. :blush-anim-cl:

And this blog: http://kulturbloggen.com/?p=18719

The Beirut-born Brit Mika made his major breakthrough with happy-pop-song Grace Kelly.

This week, March 17, he played on Annexet in Stockholm.

Aftonbladet's reviewer gave grades 3 and said that even if it's good, it might be a bit too much and the title of the review were: Children's party with Mika.

I was not there, but can understand the point. Although I am fond of the frisky Mika, I can imagine that he might be a little too bold at times.

Although he is good - and it shows well all the awards he had time to get over a few years as a famous musician:

2007 World Music Awards

This is from the blog, I shortened it a little the rest is only a list about his rewards.:thumb_yello:

They didn't even got the date right, I think it talks for itself!:sneaky2:

OMG if Mika started flying like Mary Poppins it wold be the cheesiest thing ever, I'm glad he doesn't do it :roftl:

No chaffed thighs for our Mika :wags_finger:

No kidding! :roftl:

It would be way too predictable.

Hey, I have a question, does anyone happen to have a list of the songs, in what order he sang them? Thanks in advance!

Too right, the cheesiest thing ever! :roftl: I don't ever want to see Mika flying with an umbrella. :naughty:

Tiibet got the set list. Maybe she could post it on here? But I guess she's too busy chasing after Mika in Germany right now. :naughty:

I found another recension from this gig:

http://www.dn.se/kultur-noje/konsertrecensioner/mika-pa-annexet-i-stockholm-1.1065501

It's from Dagens Nyheter, the biggest newspaper in Sweden!:wink2:

Translation:

It is a minimalism start. On stage in front of a full black curtain is only a DESK and a chair. Out comes a young man in college blazer and to Edith Piaf in speakers and a large sketch pad in hand he does a small piece mime teater. Then call it in, the curtain drawn aside, and everything explodes - the colours, costumes, props, lighting, games and of course the pattering bombastic and multi-coloured all-can-love-pop that is Mika.

Apparently, the American-British-Lebanese Michael Holbrook Penniman, or just Mika, had a hard time job growing up, and this is his way to adulthood both recognise and treat it. His concert is a great Tim Burton(ish) "Alice in Wonderland" world, with animated films projected in the background, alternatively, Mika himself in a black silhouette of the full moon light. And he sings, jumps, dances, plays the piano, dancing on top of the piano, and speaks decent Swedish with the crowd - which also exploded.

A justifiable number of little ones jump along with their equally wild hoping parents, girl gangs of young middle-aged, boy gangs, and high school girls. Wide audience, and its enormous enthusiasm, says something about Mika's position in a record number of taste camps. And during every minute of the one-hour and forty minute show, he makes himself worthy of love.

Yes, it's a show - multi-mega-show - more than a concert and I think that I have never seen anything like it. Sure, it is overloaded and excessive, to say the least, but Mika still not feels grovelling to the audience. The band is well together, everything is extremely well directed, well choreographed and in some strange way right in time.

Almost all songs from the two albums is present, he slips in and out of their roles, tempos and themes, and a little too often into the falsetto vocals. I had hoped for more from the darker and more decadent side who is also Mika - and when songs like "Love Today" and "Relax, Take It Easy," or ballads like "Happy Ending / Over My Shoulder" good will, it will be really more show than a concert - but this is not the night for it.

When the artificial snow pouring down from the stage ceiling, when gold confetti and medicine ball-sized coloured balloons spurts out over the audience, when the carnival characters in neon suits and giant heads come in the long parade you should have a heart of stone not to feel invited to Mika's crazy total Party.

http://www.dn.se/kultur-noje/konsertrecensioner/mika-pa-annexet-i-stockholm-1.1065501

Translation:

It is a minimalism start. On stage in front of a full black curtain is only a DESK and a chair. Out comes a young man in college blazer and to Edith Piaf in speakers and a large sketch pad in hand he does a small piece mime teater. Then call it in, the curtain drawn aside, and everything explodes - the colours, costumes, props, lighting, games and of course the pattering bombastic and multi-coloured all-can-love-pop that is Mika.

Apparently, the American-British-Lebanese Michael Holbrook Penniman, or just Mika, had a hard time job growing up, and this is his way to adulthood both recognise and treat it. His concert is a great Tim Burton(ish) "Alice in Wonderland" world, with animated films projected in the background, alternatively, Mika himself in a black silhouette of the full moon light. And he sings, jumps, dances, plays the piano, dancing on top of the piano, and speaks decent Swedish with the crowd - which also exploded.

A justifiable number of little ones jump along with their equally wild hoping parents, girl gangs of young middle-aged, boy gangs, and high school girls. Wide audience, and its enormous enthusiasm, says something about Mika's position in a record number of taste camps. And during every minute of the one-hour and forty minute show, he makes himself worthy of love.

Yes, it's a show - multi-mega-show - more than a concert and I think that I have never seen anything like it. Sure, it is overloaded and excessive, to say the least, but Mika still not feels grovelling to the audience. The band is well together, everything is extremely well directed, well choreographed and in some strange way right in time.

Almost all songs from the two albums is present, he slips in and out of their roles, tempos and themes, and a little too often into the falsetto vocals. I had hoped for more from the darker and more decadent side who is also Mika - and when songs like "Love Today" and "Relax, Take It Easy," or ballads like "Happy Ending / Over My Shoulder" good will, it will be really more show than a concert - but this is not the night for it.

When the artificial snow pouring down from the stage ceiling, when gold confetti and medicine ball-sized coloured balloons spurts out over the audience, when the carnival characters in neon suits and giant heads come in the long parade you should have a heart of stone not to feel invited to Mika's crazy total Party.

Well that was a awesome review! :thumb_yello:

Translation:

I often don't like how they review his shows but I really liked this one. It's the most accurate review of any of his shows that I've been to :thumb_yello:

And I like how he says that it is more of a show that an concert because that is how I interpretate it. No other artist makes conserts like that :biggrin2:

Translation:

That reads just great

Must say I love the line

"Mika's crazy total party" .. sums it up just perfect :thumb_yello:

Hey, I hope I'm allowed to share my video of Happy Ending from Stockholm

I'm really sorry about the camera shaking so badly, I stood in the 2nd row and everybody around was jumping, bouncing and pushing me =\ Sometimes you can't even hear Mika singing because of the crowd. It was sooo amazing!

I'm really sorry about the camera shaking so badly, I stood in the 2nd row and everybody around was jumping, bouncing and pushing me =\ Sometimes you can't even hear Mika singing because of the crowd. It was sooo amazing!

You're more than welcome to post your footage! Thanks! :flowers2: Wow, the sound is excellent! :thumb_yello:

Welcome to the MFC! :welcomeani:

Thanks for sharing your vid.

Happy Ending is still a favourite of mine.

Thanks violet_sky and Kodes100! :blush-anim-cl: I did my best :original:

Actually I have to agree with the guys who wrote about crazy Swedish teenagers. Unfortunately it happens practically all the time in Russia (eg after a Franz Ferdinand gig I was really afraid that a couple of my ribs were broken), and Stockholm was my first experience of going abroad for a concert... I was even disappointerd thinking that in Europe everything is pretty much the same as back home, so good to know it's not! I hope I will someday see Mika without the fear of being killed :original:

Of course you're allowed to show your videos. This is a really good vid:biggrin2:

And it gets even more real when you turn away from the screen and see your (maybe not so much two weeks later but still) gigantic balloon and the confetti you saved :biggrin2:

I didn't manage to get a balloon (which is good after all, I wouldn't be able to get it back to Russia anyway) but I still have the confetti I found on my back (underneath the clothes!) after coming home from the gig :biggrin2: So I know the feeling, oh yes :wink2:

UPD Pirateprinsess, oh, that's so great, which of the hats was yours? And when did you manage to give it to him? I'm so glad for you! :wink2:

Thanks for sharing! :flowers2:

Actually I have to agree with the guys who wrote about crazy Swedish teenagers. Unfortunately it happens practically all the time in Russia (eg after a Franz Ferdinand gig I was really afraid that a couple of my ribs were broken), and Stockholm was my first experience of going abroad for a concert... I was even disappointerd thinking that in Europe everything is pretty much the same as back home, so good to know it's not! I hope I will someday see Mika without the fear of being killed :original:

If you want to see Mika in a calmer setting, I recommend going to Copenhagen if you can. The Danish crowd was surprisingly chilled out. :wub2:

If you want to see Mika in a calmer setting, I recommend going to Copenhagen if you can. The Danish crowd was surprisingly chilled out. :wub2:

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to! :thumb_yello: Copenhagen is a kind of my dream city, I was hoping to get there anyway some day... now I have something to look forward to :blush-anim-cl:

Actually the Russians can be calm as well but you would need someone a looot more calmer than Mika. A-ha were perfect for a non-pushing act :biggrin2:

But they do faint A LOT!!! About 4 or 5 girls were taken out of the crowd during the gig, I'd never seen anything like it at a Mika gig before :aah:

But they do faint A LOT!!! About 4 or 5 girls were taken out of the crowd during the gig, I'd never seen anything like it at a Mika gig before :aah:

That was so surprising, I couldn't believe it when I saw it happening :aah: Maybe the air conditioning wasn't working or something... But it didn't feel so hot though.

That was so surprising, I couldn't believe it when I saw it happening :aah: Maybe the air conditioning wasn't working or something... But it didn't feel so hot though.

I know!! We were taking the piss of the lovely security guys when they were telling us that they needed the barrier thing clear in order to step on it to rescue people, and then it turned out to be true :aah:. I was freezing, so it was definitely not a temperature thing IMO :dunno:

So weird :blink:

Those security guys were :wub2: though; One of them gave me one of his sweeties, hahaha.