Eurovision 2011

suzie

Is there a possibility to perform as the British entry though?

Even our press has published that update back then.:blink:

Better for him not to do it of course.:aah:

Nope he won't perform, at least not this year.http://www.eurovision.tv/page/dusseldorf-2011/about/shows/participants

Scroll down to Final.It says "Blue" will perform with "I can"

Found the article about Lena's accent in English.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,696260,00.html

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK :giveup:

That's ok, :wink2: I just wanted to clarify it as my comments could have been misinterpreted and I did not want anyone to think I was speculating about this silly thing when I wasn't...:teehee:

Is there a possibility to perform as the British entry though?

Even our press has published that update back then.:blink:

Better for him not to do it of course.:aah:

I actually posted on this in another thread and because I am lazy a bit, let me quote myself :teehee: :

About one third of the Top 20 songs at Eurovision 2010 were written by Swedish songwriters, so the nationality of the songwriter does not matter at all. Ronan Keating wrote the Danish entry last year, for example... I remember I recognised his style - it was bizarre (:naughty:)

But in any case, I don't think writing a song for the UK entry was ever "offered" to Mika and it does not work like that - in most countries anyway. Usually, each song / performer competes with other songs / performers - although different countries have different ways of selecting their entry.

However, what I noticed is that whilst in many countries performers "fight for" representing their country in the Eurovision song contest, the whole thing is looked down upon in the UK so writing the UK entry would not really be a clever step for Mika to do, IMO. :dunno:

He should write his own album instead.:biggrin2:

As Lena and her accent is a topic again, I remembered an entry in a language blog I read a short while after the last Eurovision contest. It's in German, but I have linked it anyway. That blogger quoted this bit from a book by a guy named Henry Widdowson:

How English develops in the world is no business whatever of native

speakers in England, the United States, or anywhere else. They have

no say in the matter, no right to intervene or pass judgement. They

are irrelevant. The very fact that English is an international language

means that no nation can have custody over it. To grant such custody

of the language, is necessarily to arrest its development and so undermine

its international status. It is a matter of considerable pride and

satisfaction for native speakers of English that their language is an

international means of communication. But the point is that it is only

international to the extent that it is not their language. It is not a

possession which they lease out to others, while still retaining the

freehold. Other people actually own it.

As soon as you accept that English serves the communicative and

communal needs of different communities, it follows logically that it

must be diverse. An international language has to be an independent

language.

From "The Ownership of English".

This doesn't necessarily reflect my opinion on English language and accents. In fact I never really thought about this before. I just think it is an interesting and not entirely wrong point of view, considering that firstly a lot of native English speakers are not Brits or Americans or Canadians or Australians and secondly it has become that universal means of communication it is today.

I recommend reading the whole article, though. The quote is not exactly taken out of context, but it's the context that puts the quote into perspective.

___

And me too, I was really surprised to find out that Lena is to perform this year again. I wonder who decided upon that, as in the last years there was some sort of pre-election for the German entry (I think. I'm not sure. My interest in the ESC is considerably low, actually.)

But then it is a writers contest and not a performers contest. So I guess it's legit. :dunno: And why not. It was something different for once. I don't think she'll score this time - the songs they've written for her are way lame. ESC standard. :roftl:

@violet_sky that is a great quote, I'll read the whole article in a minute. Thanks for posting it :flowers2:

Yes, you are right about the contest being more about the songs rather than about the performers.

To me, what Lena's victory proved last year is as follows:

- 'The political voting' argument is not valid. You can still claim that there is cultural voting (i.e. Slavic songs are loved by Slavic populations), but certain nations voting for 'their friends' is a naive comment. At most the ethnicity of a part of the population might come to play but it does not distort the results that much.

- A strong / different song or performance can easily win and will be liked almost unanimously across Europe.

- If there is strong national support behind a song / performer, they can help them to victory.

What I liked about Lena's victory was the latter.

I did not like her accent, either, but not because it was strange. It was more the case of finding it so unnatural that you could clearly get the idea that she was merely trying to imitate other singers without speaking much English herself.

In Austria there will be a show on 25th Feb where the participants of the semi-final for ESC will be chosen

I like this one:

[YOUTUBE]s_543eZ2uCI[/YOUTUBE]

But I don't think "Europe" will like it :dunno:

That's rather cool!

But actually I still thinks Netherland's entry last year was pertty funny too.They should've won.:roftl:

For all who don't know what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKa0Wkh3N9E

:lmfao:

@Cassilda: oh, I think that song is perfect for a Eurovision entry:roftl:

It is rather eclectic and if performed with enough humour, it will do well.

Actually, the idea reminds me of a decade old Hungarian song that shows the best of our ironic humour and the music is pleasant, too :teehee:

Emil Rulez - Hello Tourist

[YOUTUBE]0T3b32vhjxg[/YOUTUBE]

PS: the accent is deliberate :teehee:

That's rather cool!

But actually I still thinks Netherland's entry last year was pertty funny too.They should've won.:roftl:

For all who don't know what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKa0Wkh3N9E

:lmfao:

I'm afraid this year's entry is not much better:

Big sigh! I don't know why we are still entering this compatition! :boxed:

In Austria there will be a show on 25th Feb where the participants of the semi-final for ESC will be chosen

I like this one:

[YOUTUBE]s_543eZ2uCI[/YOUTUBE]

But I don't think "Europe" will like it :dunno:

I like it better then our Dutch entry!

Because the TROS and the Gay community love love love it.:teehee:

The event has become such a caricature of itself, it is quite disgusting.

I sincerely hope that Mika (or any other self respecting artist) never ever takes part in it!

But in my opinion it's brilliant that you sing in your own language.Not like most other entries, who sing in english.

Because the TROS and the Gay community love love love it.:teehee:

The event has become such a caricature of itself, it is quite disgusting.

so it all just depends on who selects the songs in the national finals.

If a nation thinks this competition is a joke (like it happens in the NL and the UK, IMO) you get these kind of entries. :dunno:

Belgium's entry last year was pretty good. Nothing original, of course, but at least laid back, modern and sweet.

Here there are always different rules on how our entry is selected and usually the more thought is given to it, the more crap it turns out to be. :naughty:

Four years ago, for example, they were late with their decision if we'll participate, so they simply gave the right to participate to the local 'singer of the year'..etc, and she did really well with her own song (came 9th and won best song voted by songwriters). Then the following year some businessmen (i.e. corrupt organizers) grabbed the opportunity, thinking they could launch a ridiculous looking mediocre local pop star in Europe (one that even failed to qualify to the semi-finals in a talent show:doh:) and the performance was the laugh of the century. :shocked: He was worse than SClub7 as the song even lacked a melody :freak:.. Zsina and I were trying to hide in embarrassment while watching it and commenting on MFC online. :roftl:

I found really cool how you get involve with this competition!

Here in South America there's nothing like that, and Eurovision is very known here too...Actually, I've seen some singers during the past years...some are really cool, others are...ehmmm.... :boxed: ...not too cool!!.....but, it's entertaining most of the time! :naughty:

so it all just depends on who selects the songs in the national finals.

If a nation thinks this competition is a joke (like it happens in the NL and the UK, IMO) you get these kind of entries. :dunno:

Belgium's entry last year was pretty good. Nothing original, of course, but at least laid back, modern and sweet.

Here there are always different rules on how our entry is selected and usually the more thought is given to it, the more crap it turns out to be. :naughty:

Four years ago, for example, they were late with their decision if we'll participate, so they simply gave the right to participate to the local 'singer of the year'..etc, and she did really well with her own song (came 9th and won best song voted by songwriters). Then the following year some businessmen (i.e. corrupt organizers) grabbed the opportunity, thinking they could launch a ridiculous looking mediocre local pop star in Europe (one that even failed to qualify to the semi-finals in a talent show:doh:) and the performance was the laugh of the century. :shocked: He was worse than SClub7 as the song even lacked a melody :freak:.. Zsina and I were trying to hide in embarrassment while watching it and commenting on MFC online. :roftl:

Bad thing is: it may look like NL is thinking of it as a joke (I certainly do!) but the people involved in the National Songcontest and Eurovision don't. They take it very seriously and each year they at least expect to win!

Last year it was a disaster with that girl Sieneke and her stupid stupid song, this year it is less worse, but still......:thumbdown:

Well, the belgian song has been chosen.. Can't say I'm very happy. But then again I didn't really like any of the entries :naughty:

What's worse for me though, I hate how we have yet another divide in our country :sneaky2: Politics, languages etc isn't enough, no, even the choice of songs is divided each year. Last year flanders got to pick the song, now it was wallonia's time. And this has been going on for as long as I remember. I don't get this... This is an international contest, something where we could participate as a whole country (something that is seriously lacking over here) and even this they split up tsssss :sneaky2:

*political rant over:teehee:*

Okay, so here is the song they picked:

[YOUTUBE]IOMX2F2Kmto[/YOUTUBE]

Well, the belgian song has been chosen.. Can't say I'm very happy. But then again I didn't really like any of the entries :naughty:

What's worse for me though, I hate how we have yet another divide in our country :sneaky2: Politics, languages etc isn't enough, no, even the choice of songs is divided each year. Last year flanders got to pick the song, now it was wallonia's time. And this has been going on for as long as I remember. I don't get this... This is an international contest, something where we could participate as a whole country (something that is seriously lacking over here) and even this they split up tsssss :sneaky2:

OMG i was just saying the same thing to my mum :lmfao:

OMG i was just saying the same thing to my mum :lmfao:

Hahaha!!! :roftl: and do you like the song :naughty:

I did like this though:

[YOUTUBE]Os17aVPqPzk[/YOUTUBE]

It made me happy :teehee: I love the french chansons, but it's probably not eurovision material.

I did like this though:

It made me happy :teehee: I love the french chansons, but it's probably not eurovision material.

only heard about 30 seconds or so, so far in the news :aah:

I did like this though:

Ok..I don't like the entry, but the other one you posted...:aah:

(I shouldn't judge other countries..let's see what we'll get...):mf_rosetinted:

Ireland decided too.JEDWARD!Everyone who watches X-Factor in the UK knows who they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBeP15UDfCY

So, Germany has decided!

LENA will be performing "Taken by a stranger" at this year's ESC in Düsseldorf.

This song got 79% of the German televotes tonight.

http://eurovision.ndr.de/videos/usfd/usfd127.html

http://www.unser-song-fuer-deutschland.tv/videos/player/index.html?contentId=98340&initialTab=related

I actually really like it, very the Cure, very the Bird and the Bee, very dark :wub2:

Might end up in the Top10 I believe...and that would be pretty much a satisfying result.

Archived