Not everything needs a thread

I'm just so excited right now...

I just found out that Hanson are coming to Australia in September, and what makes it even better is that the Sydney show is on a Saturday! Unfortunately, it's the same day as my niece's birthday and it's the day after a ball in town that the pipe band I play in is performing at, but I just can't not go. I missed out on them in 1997 and in 2004/5, so I know if I don't go this time I'll regret it.

But yay! Hanson!

i'm sure that Mana will say that you MUST go! :naughty:

i'm sure that Mana will say that you MUST go! :naughty:

I'm sure she would say that :naughty:...

I'm pretty certain I will go, I'll just drive up early on the Saturday. book into a motel and then go line up.

And I think my fiancee might come too :biggrin2:

I'm sure she would say that :naughty:...

I'm pretty certain I will go, I'll just drive up early on the Saturday. book into a motel and then go line up.

And I think my fiancee might come too :biggrin2:

oh is he a fan too? or he's just going to accompany you?

Ellen sent out a challenge a while back, daring people to dance behind unsuspected people.

This Canadian guy named Phil Villeneuve took up the challenge and has made videos of him dancing. he is hilarious! He said he had no music, so he had to keep a beat in his head to dance. They interviewed him this morning a news show :naughty:

here are a few samples of his dancing:

i_T2aX8cyCc

note that at 20 seconds, he is dancing next to a graffiti that says "MFC" :aah:

Ellen sent out a challenge a while back, daring people to dance behind unsuspected people.

This Canadian guy named Phil Villeneuve took up the challenge and has made videos of him dancing. he is hilarious! He said he had no music, so he had to keep a beat in his head to dance. They interviewed him this morning a news show :naughty:

i_T2aX8cyCc

OMG Guy the most hysterical thing about that is that NO ONE had any reaction at all. :lmao: I mean sure he's behind the "targets" so maybe they can't even see him in their peripheral vision but he is surrounded by people and none of them react at all :lmfao:

That is SO Toronto. A lot of this is in my neighbourhood (I was in that food court the day before I left for Montreal) and I also walk around in total oblivion. StandardToaster was shocked (and a bit horrified) when someone came up to us in LA and started begging or telling a sob story or something and I just continued walking and talking like it wasn't happening. That's just how it is in this town. You put your headphones on and tune the rest of the world out no matter how desperately they try to get your attention.

I guess Mika would love the absurdity. :naughty:

OMG Guy the most hysterical thing about that is that NO ONE had any reaction at all. :lmao: I mean sure he's behind the "targets" so maybe they can't even see him in their peripheral vision but he is surrounded by people and none of them react at all :lmfao:

That is SO Toronto. A lot of this is in my neighbourhood (I was in that food court the day before I left for Montreal) and I also walk around in total oblivion. StandardToaster was shocked (and a bit horrified) when someone came up to us in LA and started begging or telling a sob story or something and I just continued walking and talking like it wasn't happening. That's just how it is in this town. You put your headphones on and tune the rest of the world out no matter how desperately they try to get your attention.

:naughty: i just tweeted it to him XD i think this Phil guy should be a fan of Mika's :teehee:

i suggested he does a little dance to "elle me dit" :aah:

Edited by guylainem123

that's exactly what i noticed first too! :aah:

if he did that here or back home, he would get so many stares, laughter, pointing, questions, comments etc it won't be funny!:naughty:

so is it that this sort of thing happens in TO all the time so they're immune, they're just too cool for school or they're just so disengaged from fellow humans?:blink:

seems like you guys need more absurdity then...:teehee:

so is it that this sort of thing happens in TO all the time so they're immune, they're just too cool for school or they're just so disengaged from fellow humans?:blink:

i think it's a combination of all three. :naughty: People are pretty tolerant and diverse so you're not going to raise any eyebrows if you look like what would be considered a "freak" in Small Town USA. But there are a lot of beggars and people who should probably be getting some kind of in patient mental health care wandering around. I don't have the time or energy to be engaged with these people 10 times a day on my daily walk to/from work so you have to tune it out. I find the only reason people will talk to you is when they want something and 90% of the time they want money (either selling or begging). I will only stop if someone is looking for directions and if they try to trick me and really just want money I will walk away.

Maybe it sounds heartless but we have a very strong social safety net in Canada and my taxes are already supporting these people. I cannot help them out every day of my life when there are people and facilities that are there for that purpose. This is not Africa where I saw children walking around with plastic shopping bags on their feet instead of shoes because society cannot provide for them.

It was the same when I was living in London in the '90s (in fact it was worse because people would grab you) but they decided to clean it up and I think I've only been harassed once since I started going back in 2007.

In Montreal, we do talk to strangers alot... about the weather, give direction, the time, suggest where to eat poutine, just random chit chat :teehee: But i also do not give to beggars.

and yes.... we do kiss on both cheeks, which is something i have to hold back when i meet people from out of the province :aah:

I always make it a point to smile to the elderly.

Hubby says that's why when i do my grocery shopping, often older ladies will ask me to get things on the shelves that they can't reach :naughty:

oh is he a fan too? or he's just going to accompany you?

I think he kinda likes them, but he's certainly not a massive fan like me. He seemed interested in coming so I'm not gonna argue with that...

i_T2aX8cyCc

:lmfao:

That is hilarious, but nobody's reacting! Even the dogs don't react!!!

That just seems so weird to me... then again you don't usually see people dancing down the main drag of Orange (unless we're talking about Jukebox Judy, but she has serious mental problems and lives in a group home)...

i think it's a combination of all three. :naughty: People are pretty tolerant and diverse so you're not going to raise any eyebrows if you look like what would be considered a "freak" in Small Town USA. But there are a lot of beggars and people who should probably be getting some kind of in patient mental health care wandering around. I don't have the time or energy to be engaged with these people 10 times a day on my daily walk to/from work so you have to tune it out. I find the only reason people will talk to you is when they want something and 90% of the time they want money (either selling or begging). I will only stop if someone is looking for directions and if they try to trick me and really just want money I will walk away.

Maybe it sounds heartless but we have a very strong social safety net in Canada and my taxes are already supporting these people. I cannot help them out every day of my life when there are people and facilities that are there for that purpose. This is not Africa where I saw children walking around with plastic shopping bags on their feet instead of shoes because society cannot provide for them.

It was the same when I was living in London in the '90s (in fact it was worse because people would grab you) but they decided to clean it up and I think I've only been harassed once since I started going back in 2007.

I don't know why I remembered this, but there is a dude that begs on the streets of Sydney and he makes over $50,000 per year tax free from begging. Once I heard that I felt less bad about ignoring people that were begging on the streets.

I tend to look straight ahead and ignore them, that seems to work reasonably well for charity workers and people selling face creams and crap in the main street (apparently if all else fails, yell "No means no!" really loudly and it seems to embarrass them - so says my sister :teehee:).

I don't know why I remembered this, but there is a dude that begs on the streets of Sydney and he makes over $50,000 per year tax free from begging. Once I heard that I felt less bad about ignoring people that were begging on the streets.

Well this is the thing. We didn't have this problem until they invented $1 and $2 coins and suddenly people discovered they could make more money begging on the street than working at McDonald's.

I do feel bad for the people who are experiencing full blown schizophrenia because unless someone comes along and arrests them they are not going to get help and they can't be expected to help themselves. But those people never ask for money anyway because they are living in their own world.

(apparently if all else fails, yell "No means no!" really loudly and it seems to embarrass them - so says my sister :teehee:).

Oh dear :lmfao:

so.... i tweeted Phil Villeneuve & suggested he danced to "elle me dit"

he tweeted back that he loves that song! So i told him to do it! :aah:

i think it's a combination of all three. :naughty: People are pretty tolerant and diverse so you're not going to raise any eyebrows if you look like what would be considered a "freak" in Small Town USA.

i think that's a lot of it then - when you see a lot of strange things, a guy doing a few dance moves won't budge you :aah: but i think he deserved a smile at least :teehee: which is my m.o when i see something 'strange' i just grin and move on...

we don't have many ppl begging for $ here and i don't think i've ever given anyone anything because it's mostly young able bodied men (who're now junkies) and i think they can def make a few bucks doing some random work - which some of them do...

yay!! i hope he does!!:thumb_yello:

Okay this takes the cake. He goes over and take's a french fry off this girl's tray while she's eating and the friend who is speaking to her doesn't react AT ALL. :roftl:

0:52

[YOUTUBE]uy6iaz17c1c[/YOUTUBE]

Okay this takes the cake. He goes over and take's a french fry off this girl's tray while she's eating and the friend who is speaking to her doesn't react AT ALL. :roftl:

:naughty: i would react! *hands off my fries* :aah:

Well this is the thing. We didn't have this problem until they invented $1 and $2 coins and suddenly people discovered they could make more money begging on the street than working at McDonald's.

I do feel bad for the people who are experiencing full blown schizophrenia because unless someone comes along and arrests them they are not going to get help and they can't be expected to help themselves. But those people never ask for money anyway because they are living in their own world.

Oh dear :lmfao:

I've really only noticed it since I've going to the middle of Sydney and Melbourne, the only sort of begging we get in Orange is people working for charities :sneaky2: Those with mental illnesses are definitely the ones that need the help. I know that in Woollomoloo/Kings Cross/Darlinghust area of Sydney (I think that's how it's spelt) they have a lot of homeless people and those with mental illness, but I remember years ago going around that area and this church was helping people out with food and accommodation... I think they had to work in the kitchen and the church as well...

Anywho...

Yeah, Zoe and Mum got cought out with these people selling overpriced face cream in Penrith a few years ago, and when they came to Orange the next year, Zoe just walked straight past them. They kept following her so them she yelled at them :teehee:

Ooooh cool! Can't wait to see him dancing along to it :teehee:

:roftl:

• 2 weeks later...
[YOUTUBE]mHUzZgHDmFI&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]rTmxcf5SW3M&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]YtRlCskrpbg[/YOUTUBE]

i love these! T4P

The Rain one sounds almost like it could be an instrumental remix.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm finishing up a letter to send to a council, and I need help after I've done it from a native English speaker. Anyone?

I could help, if you're willing to trust me.:wink2: English is my forte!! (and my only 100% fluent language....:mf_rosetinted:)