Not everything needs a thread

When I'm happy I start baking, so yeah...

Anyone want an éclair or a piece of apricot pie? :biggrin2:

Ok, it's the biggest mistake I ever did. Open this thread on 1pm and saw the cake. And now I'm eating chocolate cheese cake. Oh God, would you crash this thread?

@LoliLovesMusic history teacher made you sleep in the class again, huh? :biggrin2:

I heard today on the radio that Universal is releasing a single for aid for Japan, with Bon Jovi and Rihanna...maybe Mika will be there too...they're about to release some more names...

Fantastic! Hope you'll be right :thumb_yello:

Let's ask her, she gained 10lbs for looking them. How come!

Don't see it again, or you're gonna blub :teehee:

:teehee::roftl:

When I'm happy I start baking, so yeah...

Anyone want an éclair or a piece of apricot pie? :biggrin2:

Yuuuuummmmm! Eclair please!

Ok, it's the biggest mistake I ever did. Open this thread on 1pm and saw the cake. And now I'm eating chocolate cheese cake. Oh God, would you crash this thread?

@LoliLovesMusic history teacher made you sleep in the class again, huh? :biggrin2:

Mmmmmmm.... chocolate cheesecake... :drool:

It's a unit of measurement!:thumb_yello:

http://www.sizes.com/units/lispound.htm

I don't know why it's called lispound but on the other hand there's a lot of mysterious ways the English measure their things!:naughty:

No that's not it Sienna. I've never even heard of a lispound :shocked:

"lb" is an abbreviation for "pound" and it's 454 grams. I think it was Rosa who said it comes from the Latin "libra".

"lb" is an abbreviation for "pound" and it's 454 grams. I think it was Rosa who said it comes from the Latin "libra".

I never heard of "lispound" either. Where did that come from? :blink:

It's definitely "pound" -- and the abbreviation for pound, as a unit

of weight, is lb. Actually comes from Latin "libra" as Rosa said. And

that's why the British unit of money is the "pound sterling." The monetary

"pound" once represented the value of a pound of silver.

( I love etymology -- the study of

words and their history, roots, derivations, that sort of thing. :naughty: )

My friend said so. But why 1 pound=454 grams? I mean, here in my country, we use kg to show the weight. It' simple and give the exact number. just like I'm 50kg, that's it. It's so difficult to say I'm 225 pounds (is it right?).

Suddenly I recognize, it is about culture problems :biggrin2:

My friend said so. But why 1 pound=454 grams? I mean, here in my country, we use kg to show the weight. It' simple and give the exact number. just like I'm 50kg, that's it. It's so difficult to say I'm 225 pounds (is it right?).

Suddenly I recognize, it is about culture problems :biggrin2:

Oh no 50 kilos is 110 pounds not 225 pounds. Big difference :shocked::teehee:

These measurements were established in England centuries ago and passed on to the colonies. Some countries have adopted some metric measurements but it varies. Metric measurements weren't introduced in Canada until the '70s so I am still stuck on imperial units for some things like using "cups" to measure for recipes. I think most Canadians still use feet and inches to describe height and pounds to measure body weight.

We've changed to kilometres for driving distances but Americans and Brits still use miles. We've changed to Celsius for temperature but Americans are still using Fahrenheit. I'm familiar with both because I used thermometers before the metric system was introduced in Canada and I'm still exposed to American weather reports all the time. So it's all a mixed bag really. :naughty:

I knew I'd heard it from somewhere so I had to do some research.

It was written on fish-boxes when I was little and when I asked what it meant the answer I got was lispound.

Turns out it's an old, very old measurement used in Scandinavia and Germany and preferentially used in...guess what...the fish markets!:naughty:

http://www.learning4sharing.nu/lispund-202164.html

Translation:

1 lispund (LU electricity. Lpd) = 20 pounds = approximately 8 ½ kg or 1 / 20 of a ship pound. Weight unit formerly used in all of Scandinavia and northern Germany, parts of the Baltic provinces. In Sweden abolished officially as a unit of weight January 1, 1855.

These measurements were established in England centuries ago and passed on to the colonies. Some countries have adopted some metric measurements but it varies. Metric measurements weren't introduced in Canada until the '70s so I am still stuck on imperial units for some things like using "cups" to measure for recipes. I think most Canadians still use feet and inches to describe height and pounds to measure body weight.

We've changed to kilometres for driving distances but Americans and Brits still use miles. We've changed to Celsius for temperature but Americans are still using Fahrenheit. I'm familiar with both because I used thermometers before the metric system was introduced in Canada and I'm still exposed to American weather reports all the time. So it's all a mixed bag really. :naughty:

oh :naughty: i'm a mess when it comes to imperial/metric system :aah:

i use both at different times:

ex:

- temp outside = celcius

BUT temp in my pool = farenheit :aah: i know if i get into my pool & water is 85F, it's warm!

also temp to see if someone has a fever = farenheit

i cook using cups, onces, teaspoons, tablespoons etc...

i drive in km/hr

but i shop in lbs.

i have no clue (without thinking first) if a baby is heavy when parents tell me the weight in kg

i measure in feet, unless it's less then a foot, then i go for the centimeters :roftl:

the measurement that i don't understand is stones... where does that come from? (like 1 foot boy who weighs 11 stones, i imagine it's heavy, but not quite sure how heavy that is) :dunno:

the measurement that i don't understand is stones... where does that come from? (like 1 foot boy who weighs 11 stones, i imagine it's heavy, but not quite sure how heavy that is) :dunno:

A stone is 14 lbs and I have no idea why anyone would use that system except to pretend that they're lighter. 10 stone doesn't sound as heavy as 140 lbs :lmfao:

A stone is 14 lbs and I have no idea why anyone would use that system except to pretend that they're lighter. 10 stone doesn't sound as heavy as 140 lbs :lmfao:

:naughty: 14lbs? that's not a stone! that's a bolder :aah:

you don't put an "s" at stones when you say 10 stone? :teehee:

you don't put an "s" at stones when you say 10 stone? :teehee:

Nope :dunno:

When used as the unit of measurement, the plural form of stone is correctly stone (as in, "11 stone"), though stones is sometimes used, but not usually by British natives. When describing the units, the correct plural is stones (as in, "Please enter your weight in stones and pounds").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_(Imperial_mass)#Current_use

hmm :blink: i guess it's the same thing as when we say ex: 10 ounce steak... we don't say 10 ounces steak :blush-anim-cl:

Yes and feet/inches. You would say someone is 5 foot 8 same as you would say someone is 10 stone 4 (as in 144 lbs).