Not everything needs a thread

oh :naughty: i'm a mess when it comes to imperial/metric system :aah:

i use both at different times:

ex:

- temp outside = celcius

BUT temp in my pool = farenheit :aah: i know if i get into my pool & water is 85F, it's warm!

also temp to see if someone has a fever = farenheit

i cook using cups, onces, teaspoons, tablespoons etc...

i drive in km/hr

but i shop in lbs.

i have no clue (without thinking first) if a baby is heavy when parents tell me the weight in kg

i measure in feet, unless it's less then a foot, then i go for the centimeters :roftl:

the measurement that i don't understand is stones... where does that come from? (like 1 foot boy who weighs 11 stones, i imagine it's heavy, but not quite sure how heavy that is) :dunno:

I'm exactly as messed up as Guylaine:roftl:

No that's not it Sienna. I've never even heard of a lispound :shocked:

"lb" is an abbreviation for "pound" and it's 454 grams. I think it was Rosa who said it comes from the Latin "libra".

whaaaa I always get different conversions from lbs to grams. Form google, recipe books, teachers, I had resigned myself:hypo:

I cling to the metric system, for dear life

:bleh:

Oh no 50 kilos is 110 pounds not 225 pounds. Big difference :shocked::teehee:

These measurements were established in England centuries ago and passed on to the colonies. Some countries have adopted some metric measurements but it varies. Metric measurements weren't introduced in Canada until the '70s so I am still stuck on imperial units for some things like using "cups" to measure for recipes. I think most Canadians still use feet and inches to describe height and pounds to measure body weight.

We've changed to kilometres for driving distances but Americans and Brits still use miles. We've changed to Celsius for temperature but Americans are still using Fahrenheit. I'm familiar with both because I used thermometers before the metric system was introduced in Canada and I'm still exposed to American weather reports all the time. So it's all a mixed bag really. :naughty:

I'm bad in mathematics, ma'am :biggrin2:

But, here, we use the standard of international to get the point

oh :naughty: i'm a mess when it comes to imperial/metric system :aah:

i use both at different times:

ex:

- temp outside = celcius

BUT temp in my pool = farenheit :aah: i know if i get into my pool & water is 85F, it's warm!

also temp to see if someone has a fever = farenheit

i cook using cups, onces, teaspoons, tablespoons etc...

i drive in km/hr

but i shop in lbs.

i have no clue (without thinking first) if a baby is heavy when parents tell me the weight in kg

i measure in feet, unless it's less then a foot, then i go for the centimeters :roftl:

the measurement that i don't understand is stones... where does that come from? (like 1 foot boy who weighs 11 stones, i imagine it's heavy, but not quite sure how heavy that is) :dunno:

:insane:

:aah:

:insane:

:aah:

:naughty: i guess it goes with the rest of my household :aah:

our home is bilingual and we switch back and forth from english to french & sometimes, right in the middle of a sentence :teehee:

my mother toungue is french, hubby's is english. my parents did not speak english and his did not speak french at all.

but our kids were raised from birth, english and french. at first it was a bit difficult for them, but once they figured it out, it is such an advantage for them.

:naughty: i guess it goes with the rest of my household :aah:

our home is bilingual and we switch back and forth from english to french & sometimes, right in the middle of a sentence :teehee:

my mother toungue is french, hubby's is english. my parents did not speak english and his did not speak french at all.

but our kids were raised from birth, english and french. at first it was a bit difficult for them, but once they figured it out, it is such an advantage for them.

Guy: Hi Rosa! would you like to come to my house?? :biggrin2:

me: *reads her post* aerm... no :mf_rosetinted: you are too crazy for me :mf_rosetinted:

Guy: mon die!!! how can tu dire so!!!

me: you see??:mf_rosetinted:

Guy: Hi Rosa! would you like to come to my house?? :biggrin2:

me: *reads her post* aerm... no :mf_rosetinted: you are too crazy for me :mf_rosetinted:

Guy: mon die!!! how can tu dire so!!!

me: you see??:mf_rosetinted:

:naughty: we don't switch every other word... more like 1/2 sentence :aah:

:naughty: we don't switch every other word... more like 1/2 sentence :aah:

sorry but I can´t speak french at all!! :aah:

I just can say random words... sucre... troix...table noir... fenet... and to be honest,I can pronounce it but sure I´m writing it wrong... :aah:

sorry but I can´t speak french at all!! :aah:

I just can say random words... sucre... troix...table noir... fenet... and to be honest,I can pronounce it but sure I´m writing it wrong... :aah:

now tell me.... why on earth would you learn to say in french "table noir" ?

as in "black table" :roftl:

all you need to know in french is the following: baguette, vin and oh lala! :biggrin2:

now tell me.... why on earth would you learn to say in french "table noir" ?

as in "black table" :roftl:

all you need to know in french is the following: baguette, vin and oh lala! :biggrin2:

no no!! table noir is the blackboard!! aerm... that thingie teachers use to write things on... "pizarra" in spanish...

and well,I learned that in class... teacher was like: "I´m gonna show you very interesting things in french,like.... window... door... blackboard.... one,two,three,four... aerm... coment ça va... tres bien,e vou? tres bien aussi merci..." fortunately the class just longed 3 weeks... :roftl:

no no!! table noir is the blackboard!! aerm... that thingie teachers use to write things on... "pizarra" in spanish...

and well,I learned that in class... teacher was like: "I´m gonna show you very interesting things in french,like.... window... door... blackboard.... one,two,three,four... aerm... coment ça va... tres bien,e vou? tres bien aussi merci..." fortunately the class just longed 3 weeks... :roftl:

ah! tableau! :naughty:

my sons went to french school, but had english classes starting at 9 yrs old (i think)

then in highschool & college they also took spanish.

i took spanish in college as well, but i can't remember much now, but i can read some of it. :teehee:

Ooh la la is the first thing we learned in French classes. There was a cartoon of a girl walking by a boy. Ooh la la, qui est-ce? :mf_lustslow:

:naughty:

My friend used to ignore to learn french. he said, "even these words have sexuality. It's not fair, we are equal and words should be equal". And I told him that he must write the words rights, and add some laws, do revolution thing for them.

Finally, he answered "I don't need those ideas. I need good score"

:roftl::roftl::roftl:

My friend used to ignore to learn french. he said, "even these words have sexuality. It's not fair, we are equal and words should be equal". And I told him that he must write the words rights, and add some laws, do revolution thing for them.

Finally, he answered "I don't need those ideas. I need good score"

:roftl::roftl::roftl:

:lmfao:

I agree, I think they should do away with masculine and feminine in French. Would make it a lot easier :shun:

:lmfao:

I agree, I think they should do away with masculine and feminine in French. Would make it a lot easier :shun:

I learnt Hebrew and Arabic, both of them use the different rule for masculine and feminine too.

(We need revolution!!! :shocked::teehee: )

I learnt Hebrew and Arabic, both of them use the different rule for masculine and feminine too.

(We need revolution!!! :shocked::teehee: )

Hebrew and Arabic? :blink: Now you have a fan! :roftl:

Maybe you could learn Portuguese now! :teehee: