New Mika Song in French: "Elle me dit"

mellody

I know that, but being France the big market that it is for him, wasn't the gig supposed to sell out anyway? He even sold out Parc Des Princes, and wasn't even announced he was playing new songs back then!

I don't mind the single/bonus track/whatever being in french, I just don't see how it will help him, by it's release being so centered in France. :dunno:

He has built a huge fanbase all over the world, and in France it is very solid. I understand the whole marketing thing, but anyway, this seems a bit too much, that's all. :dunno:

(I wish I could explain my point of view in a better way, but my english skills today are cr@p! lol)

I do know what you mean - I feel the same way myself.

Mika moves in mysterious ways :dunno:

We'll all have to move to France :wink2:

Well, I understood he said the album will be in English but there will be other tracks in French. I see that as bonus tracks that maybe will be released on the French spealing countries. I don't think this single will be released outside a french speaking country. For me, it's to early to release a single, more than 6 months before a new album. I do think the "real" first single will be released in a few months, in English and all countries. See that like a little "bonus" :teehee::blush-anim-cl:

And this single is like a support for Compiègne, he will sing the song etc. It's quite a big event so they thought it would be the perfect timing to release this French single and to promote the gig :wink2: Well, it's how I see it !

Maybe I understood it wrong, thought it was a single. :wink2: But anyway, isn't he going to play new stuff at other gigs too? :dunno:

As I said, I have absolutely nothing against the song being in french (I quite like hearing him speaking and singing in french) but releasing a new song just to help promoting one gig, that's what's confusing me. :wink2:

I know that, but being France the big market that it is for him, wasn't the gig supposed to sell out anyway? He even sold out Parc Des Princes, and wasn't even announced he was playing new songs back then!

That was a long time ago and Mika hadn't fallen off the face of the earth for a year either. It sounds like he has every intention of hiding for the next 6+ months too so even France will forget he exists if he disappears for 1-2 years with no TV promos, no radio play (new single), etc.

I'm guessing they don't want to dilute the impact of the album by releasing an English song now. The French songs are just going to be bonus tracks and likely in francophone markets only. He is really going to have to pound the pavement to get back in the game in the English speaking world. He can't just pop in to a couple of radio and TV stations and disappear for another 6-12 months. If he releases an English single he is going to have to support it full-on or it's never going to see the light of day on English radio - like Kick Ass.

I know that, but being France the big market that it is for him, wasn't the gig supposed to sell out anyway?

I think they are far from that, otherwise they wouldn't have offered first category tickets half price on Groupon as deal of the day....:cool:

He even sold out Parc Des Princes, and wasn't even announced he was playing new songs back then!
..because there was no need to. He was very popular in 2008.

I don't mind the single/bonus track/whatever being in french, I just don't see how it will help him, by it's release being so centered in France. :dunno:

Does it really need to be explained? His biggest fanbase is in France. If he loses them, he is starting from zero with the third album as he has basically been forgotten everywhere else.

Edited by suzie

He has built a huge fanbase all over the world, and in France it is very solid. I understand the whole marketing thing, but anyway, this seems a bit too much, that's all. :dunno:

(I wish I could explain my point of view in a better way, but my english skills today are cr@p! lol)

Yes, I agree but for the Parc des Princes, he was really at the top of sellings etc. in France. For this gig, it's nearly 2 years after the release of TBWKTM and he didn't show up in France since a few festivals last year. It's hard to sell 25000 tickets just on your past success (except if you are the Rollings Stones, Prince or big big names). Until a few days, even in France there was no promotion of the gig. 25000 it's huge and you have to convince more than the fan base.

Maybe I understood it wrong, thought it was a single. :wink2: But anyway, isn't he going to play new stuff at other gigs too? :dunno:

As I said, I have absolutely nothing against the song being in french (I quite like hearing him speaking and singing in french) but releasing a new song just to help promoting one gig, that's what's confusing me. :wink2:

Yes, they say "single" but as other says, I say it as single in France / bonus track in other countries.

I don't mind he release a new song just to promote the gig, I'm happy we'll hear new sound and I'm happy we'll know it for Compiègne. He shows up to say "hey, I'm still here, don't forget me I'll be back in a few months" :naughty:

That was a long time ago and Mika hadn't fallen off the face of the earth for a year either. It sounds like he has every intention of hiding for the next 6+ months too so even France will forget he exists if he disappears for 1-2 years with no TV promos, no radio play (new single), etc.

I'm guessing they don't want to dilute the impact of the album by releasing an English song now. The French songs are just going to be bonus tracks and likely in francophone markets only. He is really going to have to pound the pavement to get back in the game in the English speaking world. He can't just pop in to a couple of radio and TV stations and disappear for another 6-12 months. If he releases an English single he is going to have to support it full-on or it's never going to see the light of day on English radio - like Kick Ass.

Totally what I think ! In a very well written English, it's better ! :teehee::naughty:

I understand that. But it happens in France and all over the world, if he disappears, the enthusiasm will decrease.

The Compiegne gig is getting a lot of attention, or at least a lot more than the other gigs. When it's announced that he's going to play new songs, in a country where he sells so well, it's expected a lot more excitement from the audience, no?

I'm not saying he doesn't need promotion at all in France, I just think that releasing the first snippet of the new album mainly in France, when there are many fans expecting to hear new material in other countries too, may not help him that much, worldwide. :wink2: Did that make sense?

I may be wrong (I hope I am, this new album must be a success everywhere!), I'm just sharing my point of view, that's all. :wink2:

Does it really need to be explained? His biggest fanbase is in France. If he loses them, he is starting from zero with the third album as he has basically been forgotten about everywhere else.

Exactly. Forgotten everywhere else, and focusing just on one country anyway is what confuses me. :wink2:

And I certainly know France is his biggest market, that's why I brought up PdP in the first place, even in 2008, at the top of his success, he wouldn't have sold out a stadium anywhere else, would he? :wink2:

Actually I don't mind if his next single is written in Mongolian, it will be good to hear some new songs :naughty:

Well, I have to agree with you on that! :thumb_yello:

Even tho I'd prefer Indian over Mongolian. :naughty:

Actually I don't mind if his next single is written in Mongolian, it will be good to hear some new songs :naughty:

+1 :thumb_yello:

I dunno what the fuss is all about... :dunno:

I really don't think he wrote the song in French JUST to attract French audience, but because French is almost his mother tongue, he spent part of his childhood in France and it's only natural that he sometimes expresses himself in French...

I mean, he was writing a column for XL for months, for Italian readers, and no one complained about him focusing only on Italian audience. eventually, the original in English would be posted and everyone was happy. In the same way, everyone will eventually download/purchase Elle Me Dit, and will enjoy 12 brand new English songs...

the only problem here is that MFC is very very hungry for new songs, and patience is not something we are good at :wink2: give Mika a break, will ya, he's doing his best to deliver great music to us, and as Silver pointed it out, who cares if they're in French, English, Mongolian or my mother tongue Serbian (which he showed good fluency of last year on Exit festival :thumb_yello:).

Anyway, i think he writes in French just to attract French audience.... he himself said that he doesn't write so correctly in French!

neither in English, to be honest, we all know how bad his spelling is, but that's what editing is for :biggrin2:

+1 :thumb_yello:

I dunno what the fuss is all about... :dunno:

I really don't think he wrote the song in French JUST to attract French audience, but because French is almost his mother tongue, he spent part of his childhood in France and it's only natural that he sometimes expresses himself in French...

I mean, he was writing a column for XL for months, for Italian readers, and no one complained about him focusing only on Italian audience. eventually, the original in English would be posted and everyone was happy. In the same way, everyone will eventually download/purchase Elle Me Dit, and will enjoy 12 brand new English songs...

the only problem here is that MFC is very very hungry for new songs, and patience is not something we are good at :wink2: give Mika a break, will ya, he's doing his best to deliver great music to us, and as Silver pointed it out, who cares if they're in French, English, Mongolian or my mother tongue Serbian (which he showed good fluency of last year on Exit festival :thumb_yello:).

:thumb_yello: I think it's natural that he feels specially connected to France, since he spent his childhood there. I have a special connecyion to Italy, and I've only been there for 5 months :aah:

Well, in this case, I think it is very clear that the objective IS attracting French audience. :naughty:

And don't compare a blog written for an Italian magazine with songs from an album we haven't heard anything of so far. :naughty: It's completely different!

Anyway, it's obvious we'll end up listening to the song, and the album, and all the other bonus songs he'll release after that, that's not the point. We were just discussing the way they're promoting this, that's all.

And, I speak for myself, I don't blame Mika (at least not exclusively), but his label. This afternoon's attitude from Barclay almost killed half MFC. Not nice. Not nice at all. :mf_rosetinted:

And, I speak for myself, I don't blame Mika (at least not exclusively), but his label. This afternoon's attitude from Barclay almost killed half MFC. Not nice. Not nice at all. :mf_rosetinted:

well, it's not his fault that we are so obsessed :naughty: just kidding, ofc, I was at the edge of my seat this afternoon too and also rather disappointed when they announced it for tomorrow :(

I am jealous about France and the special place that it has in his career, but we just have to accept it: Mika loves France and French fans will always have a sort of privileged place...

as per @labelbarclay @mikasounds will be in Paris july 1, on the air at 8h05 on @NRJhitmusiconly, 8h55 @RTL2officiel & 10h on @VirginRadiofr

*might be late*

will anyone record?:teehee:

as much as id like to be here, its 2am for me:roftl:

*might be late*

will anyone record?:teehee:

as much as id like to be here, its 2am for me:roftl:

but we are suppose to be hearing it at 7 a.m. as per Barclay Label... thing is, the website they mentioned says at 9 a.m.... now that would be 4 a.m. for us, so i'm just not sure anymore XD