Fanny Ardant rumored to be a guest star in the "Elle me dit" clip

guylainem123

I'm pretty sure most young French people who are not particularly interested in cinema do not really know Fanny Ardant.. I think we do know her (her name, her looks, her reputation) but have not always watched her movies.. It kind of belongs to another generation now. So I completely understand if foreigners know nothing about her!

About the video clip, I wonder if Mika will be in it too.. And I agree with the person who said Kick Ass and Rain were the vids they preferred up to now, it's exactly the same thing for me :wink2:

I loved the KA vid, but for me, the best is Happy Ending. It's visually stunning and just right for the song.

I imagine the EMD vid might be a bit funny. I can't imagine it being too serious, but we'll wait and see.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you mean if she is "Mika" and Mika is "mom"?:mf_rosetinted:

:roftl:

Oh, Suzie, you made me LOL !!! Is it because of my English ? Good joke:thumb_yello: and a good idea for his next video to be called "weird".

In fact, I mean (I think) Mika has chosen her especially to play his mom. For other role he could choose any other famous actress.

Well, in Holland you do get lectured about Shakespeare in middle school.

To the point where every 35 year old Dutchie knows off the top of their head that King Lear is a Shakespearean play?

Even if that is the case do you expect it's the same in every country? In Spain, in Japan...everywhere?

I studied Literature in Spain, and we only studied Spanish and Valencian Literature. I never ever studied Shakespeare. The only we know about him is the famous "To be or not to be...." and basically because my teacher mentioned it someday. I´m 34 so maybe nowadays Literature (as a subject) has improved and kids now learn about foreigns writters,but seriously, I spent A WHOLE YEAR studying "El Quijote". It´s the second book more translated of the History after the Bible, but I would never call ignorant to someone who never heard about it, cause I understand it´s in Spanish and the translation must be odd,cause there are many things about the reading that cannot be translated keeping the original meaning.

I studied Literature in Spain, and we only studied Spanish and Valencian Literature. I never ever studied Shakespeare. The only we know about him is the famous "To be or not to be...." and basically because my teacher mentioned it someday. I´m 34 so maybe nowadays Literature (as a subject) has improved and kids now learn about foreigns writters,but seriously, I spent A WHOLE YEAR studying "El Quijote". It´s the second book more translated of the History after the Bible, but I would never call ignorant to someone who never heard about it, cause I understand it´s in Spanish and the translation must be odd,cause there are many things about the reading that cannot be translated keeping the original meaning.

Don Qijote de la mancha? From Miguel de Cervantes?

Well, we had to read it and to learn about Cervantes' life...

But we also read things from Eugene Ionesco, Gabriel Garcia Marquez and so on...

And it was in school, I think we had a great teacher (especially because the lesson was called "german" :roftl:, but it was more literature)

Don Qijote de la mancha? From Miguel de Cervantes?

Well, we had to read it and to learn about Cervantes' life...

But we also read things from Eugene Ionesco, Gabriel Garcia Marquez and so on...

And it was in school, I think we had a great teacher (especially because the lesson was called "german" :roftl:, but it was more literature)

Yes, that is. you read it?? like.. the whole book?? you also spent a whole year reading a foreign book????? wow, I´m amazed!!!!! :shocked:

We also studied many of sudamericans writters,and even we were "motioned" to read many of the most importants books of other countries we never analyzed them, it was just like an extra work and it never counted at the end of the year.

Yes, that is. you read it?? like.. the whole book?? you also spent a whole year reading a foreign book????? wow, I´m amazed!!!!! :shocked:

We also studied many of sudamericans writters,and even we were "motioned" to read many of the most importants books of other countries we never analyzed them, it was just like an extra work and it never counted at the end of the year.

No, no, no, I didn't read it in Spain, I read it in German...:shocked:

But I read the whole book...unfortunatelly I've forgotten nearly everything expect Sancho Pansa, the Windmills and Dulcinea...

(schooltime's over for more than 22 years :teehee:)

btw, Fanny Ardant played in Ozone`s "8 Femmes". Has anyone seen this ?

I've seen it! I think It was great! Specially how they deal and work around the off-screen character. All the movie is sustained by a person you can't see. At least, that's how I remember it. In addition to that, the contraposition of women personalities is very well ! :0)

Well, in Holland you do get lectured about Shakespeare in middle school.

Same here, but we have exams on it in high school too :biggrin2:

My mother knows shakespear by heart because she studied it while getting her master of arts (MA) degree in english. But ofcourse, a lot of us wouldn't know about him since half of us don't even speak English :teehee:

No, no, no, I didn't read it in Spain, I read it in German...:shocked:

But I read the whole book...unfortunatelly I've forgotten nearly everything expect Sancho Pansa, the Windmills and Dulcinea...

(schooltime's over for more than 22 years :teehee:)

Oh,yeah I assumed you read the translated version. We analyzed in class every chapter,cause it´s really rich in literary aspects,but again, I´m sure it´s all lost during translation. I guess that´s why we never studied any foreign book... We all get THAT enganched to the book,that I remember when I was reading the last pages, and it ended I cried for more than an hour... :aah: my mom was :blink: :blink: cause she (though she read it too) didn´t understand why it made me feel so much emotive... It´s easy to understand, we studied it that hard,that I felt as if Don Quijote was one of my neighbors or something... by the way, our teacher made us to do an extra work about this. We went to the street to ask to any +50 years old random person if they thought that Don Quijote was a fictional character or a real person who lived for real... and at the end of the study, the 85% THOUGHT HE WAS A REAL PERSON!!!! :shocked: :shocked:

Our teacher explained that the book was so fine written, with real places, real names of hostals and stuff,and it was so accepted in our culture,that most of old people who never studied assumed it was a real story instead of a book :aah::aah:

Oh, Suzie, you made me LOL !!! Is it because of my English ? Good joke:thumb_yello: and a good idea for his next video to be called "weird".

In fact, I mean (I think) Mika has chosen her especially to play his mom. For other role he could choose any other famous actress.

yes, I thought you meant that, but when you said "If she`s his "mom", Mika`s gonna appear as the "son". Otherwise it`s meaningless" it basically sounded like it was meaningless to do it the other way round...:roftl: and I think it was funny :teehee:

I read Shakespeare both in Hungarian and tried bits in English but I can only enjoy and understand it in Hungarian, not only because that is my mother tongue but also because originally it was written in the 16th- early 17th century, whilst the Hungarian translations were done much later, by some of our greatest poets in the 19th and 20th centuries, so the translated versions are more similar to the language we use now. To be honest, I doubt Shakespeare's language itself is as enjoyable for English speakers as some of the translated versions are from a later era but of course the plays and dramas themselves are still great and stand the test of time.

To the point where every 35 year old Dutchie knows off the top of their head that King Lear is a Shakespearean play?

Even if that is the case do you expect it's the same in every country? In Spain, in Japan...everywhere?

No, but Romeo & Juliet, Hamlet and McBeth are generally discussed. It is mainly about the more well-known plays.

I am not saying it is the same in every country. I was merely referring to Holland as I know AMP is Dutch:teehee:

No, but Romeo & Juliet, Hamlet and McBeth are generally discussed. It is mainly about the more well-known plays.

Right, so you can be generally familiar with Shakespeare without knowing specifically about King Lear. And I think you can be familiar with film without knowing about the career of a French film actress even if she's a star in France.

I would expect someone in England to be more familiar with Shakespeare and someone in France to be more familiar with French actresses but I don't think you can hold every other person in the world to the same standards of common knowledge.

For me personally I don't have an exceptional interest in film or literature so I have not seen enough French films to know anything about Fanny Ardent's career or to have read Don Quixote. I am more familiar with English films and literature because references are more prevalent in my culture and it is more likely that I was exposed to it at school.

I don't think it is ignorant to not be familiar with the cultural references of every other country in the world if you are not keenly interested in these things. There are only so many hours in the day and I spend my time reading non fiction instead of literature because I am more interested in science, US/British history, politics, etc. When it comes to the arts I am more interested in music and plays. I like live performances more than watching a film. If anyone thinks that's ignorant then I would like to test them on their knowledge of statistics and human evolution and the American Revolutionary War to confirm that they can speak from a position of knowing everything there is to know. Perhaps in that case they are allowed to pronounce ignorance on others for not knowing about a French actress.

Right, so you can be generally familiar with Shakespeare without knowing specifically about King Lear. And I think you can be familiar with film without knowing about the career of a French film actress even if she's a star in France.

I would expect someone in England to be more familiar with Shakespeare and someone in France to be more familiar with French actresses but I don't think you can hold every other person in the world to the same standards of common knowledge.

For me personally I don't have an exceptional interest in film or literature so I have not seen enough French films to know anything about Fanny Ardent's career or to have read Don Quixote. I am more familiar with English films and literature because references are more prevalent in my culture and it is more likely that I was exposed to it at school.

I don't think it is ignorant to not be familiar with the cultural references of every other country in the world if you are not keenly interested in these things. There are only so many hours in the day and I spend my time reading non fiction instead of literature because I am more interested in science, US/British history, politics, etc. When it comes to the arts I am more interested in music and plays. I like live performances more than watching a film. If anyone thinks that's ignorant then I would like to test them on their knowledge of statistics and human evolution and the American Revolutionary War to confirm that they can speak from a position of knowing everything there is to know. Perhaps in that case they are allowed to pronounce ignorance on others for not knowing about a French actress.

I don't think it's ignorance. I thought the whole "not knowing about big news items" to be more about ignorance:naughty:

We read some Spanish literature at school in my Spaish classes...I don't remeber it all, but I do remember

- António Skármeta - El cartero de Pablo Neruda (which I absolutely loved!)

- Miguel Mihura -Tres sombreros de copa

- Bécquer - Rimas (My Spanish teacher was obsessed with his poetry, me: not so much :mf_rosetinted:)

In English and French we also studied so calssical and contemporary literature. However, it is always a selection. So some important authors are left aside.

And obviously it is very different what is taught in different countries. Our cultures are very different.

So it is completely normal if someone (especially if not from France) doesn't know Fanny Ardant (I remembered her from "8 femmes"), but didn't remember her name :blush-anim-cl:

btw, Fanny Ardant played in Ozone`s "8 Femmes". Has anyone seen this ?

Yep! I watched it many times ago but it's not the best film that she played... :wink2:

I studied Shakespeare at school and then I read on my own all his works...

And i totally agree with you that everyone has a personal culture and not knowing something doesn't mean being ignorant...

I love science, astronomy, English, Spanish, Russian, Italian, Arabic literature and I love every kind of art: music, painting... But I'm not quite prepared on other topics and not for this I feel ignorant. In fact, I take the opportunity to always go looking for what I don't know.... It's normal

Archived