The Homework Thread! ;D xD

qwurtie

Just that according to this reasoning, God exists, so therefore must have a cause as well. So what's the cause of God then?

If you start from the first two statements, the third automatically follows, obviously, but then those first two statements are not exactly trivial, a they?

Anyway, I was on my way to bed and now I'm distracted by the cosmological argument of the existence of God :aah:

:naughty:

Exactly. Aquinas would say however that since this first cause is NECESSARY, it is NECESSARY for it to have certain properties or it wouldn't fit the bill. It HAS to be an uncaused first cause or it wouldn't be a first cause.

If I'm staying up the night before this essay, I'm dragging everyone else down with me. :mf_rosetinted:

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thinking like this is an artificial construct due to the way the human mind works, pre-programmed to see patterns in everything. We look at things "logically" but who is to say this is the correct view? Maybe things just "are", and can't be regressed because there is no origin.

As would say David Hume - we create patterns of causation because it comforts us.

Yes, 'things just are' would be a lovely conclusion but this unfortunately is a philosophy essay. There is no easy way out. :teehee:

(I will thank you when I get an A. :mikacool:)

- Everything that exists has a cause

But that's just a assertion. Why should everything that exists should have a cause?

I would rather say that most things are just randomly there. And only because we "use" some of them they "get" a cause.

As would say David Hume - we create patterns of causation because it comforts us.

Also 'things just are' would be a lovely conclusion but this unfortunately is a philosophy essay. :teehee:

(I will thank you when I get an A. :mikacool:)

But isn't "things just are" a philosophical viewpoint too?

This reminds me of my days studying sociology and arguments about whether the act of observation affected the people being observed so that you could never see "true" behaviour

But that's just a assertion. Why should everything that exists should have a cause?

I would rather say that most things are just randomly there. And only because we "use" some of them they "get" a cause.

Aquinas would argue that literally everything we can observe has a cause. It is difficult to find exception to this. (unless we go into quantum mechanics where there are observed particles with no apparent cause - which are good basis for indeed rejecting this argument).

But isn't "things just are" a philosophical viewpoint too?

Yes I suppose so, and I agree with you. But I won't get 30 marks out of it. :tears:

This reminds me of my days studying sociology and arguments about whether the act of observation affected the people being observed so that you could never see "true" behaviour

God feel self conscious so hides when we watch for him? :teehee:

Aquinas would argue that literally everything we can observe has a cause. It is difficult to find exception to this. (unless we go into quantum mechanics where there are observed particles with no apparent cause - which are good basis for indeed rejecting this argument).

I actually started a post about quantum fluctuations, but then decided that physicists should never throw physics arguments against philosophers, certainly not when theology is involved. It never ends seems to end well :mikacool:

Introducing William Lane Craig and his ramblings - and why he decides infinite regress is impossible.

- the present day is the result of successive additions of days

- the present would not exist in an infinite universe, as any chain where it is possible to add more items (eg days) is not actually infinite

- the universe is not infinite therefore has a beginning

I actually started a post about quantum fluctuations, but then decided that physicists should never throw physics arguments against philosophers, certainly not when theology is involved. It never ends seems to end well :mikacool:

Physics beats theology any day :naughty:

Introducing William Lane Craig and his ramblings - and why he decides infinite regress is impossible.

- the present would not exist in an infinite universe, as any chain where it is possible to add more items (eg days) is not actually infinite

Doughnuts

That second statement depends on your definition of infinite. In mathematics, you have at least two kinds of infinity. One you can count (like all the natural numbers, being 0, 1, 2, 3, ...) and one you can't (like all the real numbers, which include fractions and stuff like pi). But even the natural numbers are an infinite set.

Doughnuts

Well argued. :thumb_yello::teehee:

That second statement depends on your definition of infinite. In mathematics, you have at least two kinds of infinity. One you can count (like all the natural numbers, being 0, 1, 2, 3, ...) and one you can't (like all the real numbers, which include fractions and stuff like pi). But even the natural numbers are an infinite set.

Potential infinite and actual infinite? eg. 1,2,3 could be infinite if you kept adding one, but if you stop at 12 (representing present day) it isn't infinite. (...?)

(I hope nobody thinks I am representing these theories, I am a scientist to the core :aah:)

Edited by astor

That includes negative numbers presumably?

Interestingly I just heart a article in the news at the radio if the development of science an technics overruns religion.

I don't know, what's the the cause for all the chemical elements for example? The world would exists happily without all the higher ones.

Interestingly I just heart a article in the news at the radio if the development of science an technics overruns religion.

I don't know, what's the the cause for all the chemical elements for example? The world would exists happily without all the higher ones.

Good point! I suppose the attraction between electrons causes O2 etc, but then we could say what caused the electrons to be attracted? So you're right.

Ok anyways, since it's bed time, I conclude that Aquinas was wrong, the cosmological argument gets its ass whooped by science, and god has not been proved tonight. Good night, one and all. :mf_rosetinted:

Would anyone be able to like give me some sort of introduction for this discursive essay on animal testing I have to do,I am okay for the fors and against I just not sure how to start it off.:doh:

how about saying what it is, when it started, who does this and why it was/is made???