Raw means many things. Usually, when it is referring to emotions it means vulnerable; something like wide open, unguarded, completely honest, without holding anything back.

When referring to emotion, it can also mean tender, sensitive, easily hurt, already hurt, and painful.

Within the context of this song, it most likely means vulnerable and sensitive.

It is like the singer was never comfortable with expressing emotion until the singer met this lover. Now, the singer has no emotional defenses and displays no pretense. The emotions the singer feels are unrefined and completely honest. The singer is helpless to feel anything else.

At least, that is what the word raw usually means when it is in a love song.

Thank you so much! :bow:

It is so beautiful :wub2:

And you explained it so clearly!

It is like the singer was never comfortable with expressing emotion until the singer met this lover.

Yes that's how I would interpret it. It goes with the idea of his heart being on his sleeve. The whole imagery of this song is very red to me. The sky obviously, the heart, being raw. And then of course there's the blue of the sky and the water.

Thank you very much!! I think now I´m starting to understand a bit the song... Even though we non-english speakers can get the whole idea it´s quite difficult (at least for me) to understand each and every metaphore.

I hope you´ll be willing to do the same with the next 12 new songs *puppy eyes*

you can count on me:thumb_yello:

Even though we non-english speakers can get the whole idea it´s quite difficult (at least for me) to understand each and every metaphore.

Most of these are allegories that use symbols common across western culture (e.g. blood red sky, landslide, stormy weather, thunder, rain...etc. ) and that's why I don't think interpreting the lyrics of BIOTW is language / culture dependent. Underwater simply uses a more sophisticated extended metaphor throughout the song, and, therefore, sounds more divine.

Most of these are allegories that use symbols common across western culture (e.g. blood red sky, landslide, stormy weather, thunder, rain...etc. ) and that's why I don't think interpreting the lyrics of BIOTW is language / culture dependent. Underwater simply uses a more sophisticated extended metaphor throughout the song, and, therefore, sounds more divine.

Mika is definitely into weather this time :mf_rosetinted:

I bet in the next new songs we will find more atmospheric notions and cataclysms, like volcano, earthquake, avalanches and so on.

I bet in the next new songs we will find more atmospheric notions and cataclysms, like volcano, earthquake, avalanches and so on.

:roftl:

Actually, I find it interesting how he seems to have had a clear idea about the number of songs (12) on the album for a long time, so maybe he plans to have one song for each month of the year, starting with him freezing over in January and disappearing underwater in December :teehee:

Thank you very much!! I think now I´m starting to understand a bit the song... Even though we non-english speakers can get the whole idea it´s quite difficult (at least for me) to understand each and every metaphore.

I hope you´ll be willing to do the same with the next 12 new songs *puppy eyes*

Does that mean you're starting to LIKE the song more, too? :teehee:

I'm always happy to give "my interpretation" -- doesn't mean it's right,

though! But I'm a good sharer! :wink2:

But what "raw" does means? Of course I looked at the dictionary, but the word itself is unromantic :dunno:

It is like the singer was never comfortable with expressing emotion until the singer met this lover. Now, the singer has no emotional defenses and displays no pretense. The emotions the singer feels are unrefined and completely honest. The singer is helpless to feel anything else.

At least, that is what the word raw usually means when it is in a love song.

Yes, that's how I'd define it here (if that is indeed what he's saying --

come ON, Mika, toss us a clue here!) DQ, you might hear us

use "raw" in a phrase like "rubbed raw" -- for example, if you are pulling

a rope, and it chafes your skin to the point where the outer layer is

rubbed off, exposing some red, tender skin underneath, that would be

rubbed raw. In the same way, you may feel you have been worn down to

the point where your feelings are open and exposed, just like that new,

tender "rubbed raw" skin.

Yes that's how I would interpret it. It goes with the idea of his heart being on his sleeve. The whole imagery of this song is very red to me. The sky obviously, the heart, being raw. And then of course there's the blue of the sky and the water.

Yes, I get the feeling of "red" as well. Red, like being hot, under the sun,

maybe arid, barren or uncomfortable -- contrasted with the cool blue relief

of the water. It's so interesting to me how so few words combined with

the rather hypnotic, almost dreamy, melody can create such

powerful images in my head. :wub2:

Actually, I find it interesting how he seems to have had a clear idea about the number of songs (12) on the album for a long time, so maybe he plans to have one song for each month of the year, starting with him freezing over in January and disappearing underwater in December :teehee:

Yes, what's that about? I've noticed that too. He keeps saying 12 songs,

12 songs... as if there can't be 11, and there can't be 13 or 14? Of course,

I'd wish for more than 12, but there must be a reason he's so set on the

number 12. :dunno:

:roftl:

Yes, what's that about? I've noticed that too. He keeps saying 12 songs,

12 songs... as if there can't be 11, and there can't be 13 or 14? Of course,

I'd wish for more than 12, but there must be a reason he's so set on the

number 12. :dunno:

Quite often a lifetime is described as a year, from January to December. So maybe he wants to make songs from different life periods (so we would get EMD in English too :teehee:).

Or maybe he is just mixing styles and there will be 4x3 songs different styles (he is working with several people). This weather aspect is very strong indeed :aah::roftl:

Edited by tiibet

Good point with the contrasting colors in the lyrics. To me the image is also strengthened by the piano accompaniment as it basically imitates the ship rocking up and down on water. In other words, the piano is the waves.

I really hope that this piano part won't disappear the way raindrops almost completely vanished from Rain in the final mix. :rolls_eyes:

Edited by suzie

That is Mika, the poetic, genius songwriter for you!:wub2::wub2::wub2:

Quite often a lifetime is described as a year, from January to December. So maybe he wants to make songs from different life periods (so we would get EMD in English too :teehee:).

Or maybe he is just mixing styles and there will be 4x3 songs different styles (he is working with several people). This weather aspect is very strong indeed :aah::roftl:

It´s because the minimal number of tracks on the album is 12. In biggest music companies.

THat's the first thing my daughter told me when she learn the title of his new song:roftl:

It´s because the minimal number of tracks on the album is 12. In biggest music companies.

Really? Why would that be so? I think it is the length of content on a CD and not the number of songs. Many of my favourite CDs have 10 songs on them. It is true the length used to be decided on the physical capacity of an LP (it was around 45 mins, I think) whilst now it is the CD that can accommodate around 60-70mins of music but it still sounds so strange there'd be a minimum number of songs. :dunno:

However, in the age of digital downloads there might be new rules I am unaware of.

:ot:

Edited by suzie

Does that mean you're starting to LIKE the song more, too? :teehee:

I like the song... how could not I like it after all what all of you are saying here? Lyrics are amazing, and unlike what happened with BIOTW (which I disliked and never ever listened to it after the first time) I listened to this one a lot. In fact, today, after my son´s taekwondo class, we were walking back home, and hubby told me: "you said you didn´t like that song". I didn´t even realise I was singing it! I must admit it´s stuck in my head and I´ve grown fond of it... :wub2:

Yes, I get the feeling of "red" as well. Red, like being hot, under the sun, maybe arid, barren or uncomfortable -- contrasted with the cool blue relief of the water. It's so interesting to me how so few words combined with the rather hypnotic, almost dreamy, melody can create such powerful images in my head. :wub2:

This is why it's so important to me that a song is in English because if it's not it can only be interepreted through someone else's definitions. There are nuances and imagery and memories that are only attached to the English words in my mind and not a translation to English if you know what I mean.

When I look at the English translation of the French version of EMD it looks like 50%+ of the song is missing, versus the English lyrics even though it was discussed for pages and pages. And the lyrics were a lot more straightforward and literal than Underwater.

This is why it's so important to me that a song is in English because if it's not it can only be interepreted through someone else's definitions. There are nuances and imagery and memories that are only attached to the English words in my mind and not a translation to English if you know what I mean.

When I look at the English translation of the French version of EMD it looks like 50%+ of the song is missing, versus the English lyrics even though it was discussed for pages and pages. And the lyrics were a lot more straightforward and literal than Underwater.

In my case it´s different... I "feel" much better songs in English than in Spanish. In fact, even though my english is not the best, and there´s no one in my life who speaks english, there are many situations of my life that I´d rather explain in English. Here in Spain there´s a saying which says: "English is the language for music". And I totally agree. There are some "definitions" which only have sense in English and it totally loses its "magic" if you translate it into another language. And even though I had someone who could translate the song to Spanish, I rather read your explanations here in English cause words in this language are IN MY OPINION much more fierce...

In my case it´s different... I "feel" much better songs in English than in Spanish. In fact, even though my english is not the best, and there´s no one in my life who speaks english, there are many situations of my life that I´d rather explain in English. Here in Spain there´s a saying which says: "English is the language for music". And I totally agree. There are some "definitions" which only have sense in English and it totally loses its "magic" if you translate it into another language. And even though I had someone who could translate the song to Spanish, I rather read your explanations here in English cause words in this language are IN MY OPINION much more fierce...

i second every word you wrote :thumb_yello:

I so understand you, I don't live in Spain, but I do speak spanish, and I love english, I think that everything sounds better in english and that there are some things that have not translation to spanish, they just make sense in english

no matter what language it is written in, it's always best if you can read it in its original version. There are always nuances lost in translation.:aah:

Yes, that's how I'd define it here (if that is indeed what he's saying --

come ON, Mika, toss us a clue here!) DQ, you might hear us

use "raw" in a phrase like "rubbed raw" -- for example, if you are pulling

a rope, and it chafes your skin to the point where the outer layer is

rubbed off, exposing some red, tender skin underneath, that would be

rubbed raw. In the same way, you may feel you have been worn down to

the point where your feelings are open and exposed, just like that new,

tender "rubbed raw" skin.

I newer knew this expression, thank you. Very interesting comparison!

What is interesting, that in spite all the blood red sky, this song is like that for me: (I mean colours, not just image - those cold calm hues)

trm_635pt_switch-back-dia-rect_tealy_kot.jpg

EMD is orange in my mind, GK is green, Big girl is red, and PUOTF is dark blue. Anyone else sees all the songs in colours?

I like the song... how could not I like it after all what all of you are saying here? Lyrics are amazing, and unlike what happened with BIOTW (which I disliked and never ever listened to it after the first time) I listened to this one a lot. In fact, today, after my son´s taekwondo class, we were walking back home, and hubby told me: "you said you didn´t like that song". I didn´t even realise I was singing it! I must admit it´s stuck in my head and I´ve grown fond of it... :wub2:

I'm glad for you!!

But I was in the same situation. My husband came and asked: What do you sing? Me: Am I singing? :blink:

It turned out that I was humming BIOTW, this I criticized severely at home (and my hubby liked it).

EMD is orange in my mind, GK is green, Big girl is red, and PUOTF is dark blue. Anyone else sees all the songs in colours?

I do :biggrin2: I was surprised people see UW red and blue, for me it's more ocean colors too, both light and deep.

I do :biggrin2: I was surprised people see UW red and blue, for me it's more ocean colors too, both light and deep.

Same here.

And now that we are discussing a bit about languages... Do you think that different languages make people think different?? I mean, in Spanish we first say the noun and then the adjective as in "the car red". Obviously in English the adjective precedes the noun... so... are maybe our minds working differently?? I remember when I first studied English and I was told that I needed to say "red" before "car" I freaked out. And my first worry was: "What if they are speaking on the phone, and one has no time to finish the sentence and the only he can say is: I CAN SEE A RED......"?? I mean... if that sentence is not ended, you don´t know what the other peep is talking about. However, in Spanish even if you can´t end the sentence (let´s think in the hypothetic case that the comunication cuts or something), we still give the important info to the other one... "I CAN SEE A CAR...." even if we are not allowed to say which color it is...

And after all these nonsenses :aah: what I want to say is: Is it possible that non native English speakers give a different meaning to every song since our brains work differently?? Can we "learn" to understand English only by studying it or practising it? Nowadays, I can think in English and my brain switches directly, and I don´t need to "think" of putting the adjective before the noun, I do it inconsciously, but still... :aah:

Same here.

And now that we are discussing a bit about languages... Do you think that different languages make people think different?? I mean, in Spanish we first say the noun and then the adjective as in "the car red". Obviously in English the adjective precedes the noun... so... are maybe our minds working differently?? I remember when I first studied English and I was told that I needed to say "red" before "car" I freaked out. And my first worry was: "What if they are speaking on the phone, and one has no time to finish the sentence and the only he can say is: I CAN SEE A RED......"?? I mean... if that sentence is not ended, you don´t know what the other peep is talking about. However, in Spanish even if you can´t end the sentence (let´s think in the hypothetic case that the comunication cuts or something), we still give the important info to the other one... "I CAN SEE A CAR...." even if we are not allowed to say which color it is...

And after all these nonsenses :aah: what I want to say is: Is it possible that non native English speakers give a different meaning to every song since our brains work differently?? Can we "learn" to understand English only by studying it or practising it? Nowadays, I can think in English and my brain switches directly, and I don´t need to "think" of putting the adjective before the noun, I do it inconsciously, but still... :aah:

You know, I studied Spanish in school, but didn't pay attention to this difference! It seemed normal to me, maybe because in my language there is no peculiar word order, we can put words in sentence wherever we want, depending on the main accent of a word.

Yes, I think different languages make people think different, but not to the dramatic extend. In general questions we are alike. Spending time on this forum, I can't say that I see much difference between people's thinking. The difference here mostly depends on age and personal qualities.