Eurovision 2012

suzie

As national finals have already taken place in some countries, let me open a thread for this year's Eurovison competition taking place on 26 May in Baku, Azerbaijan, with semi-finals on 22 May and 24 May.

The link to the official site is here:

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/baku-2012

Feel free to post the winning songs (or any other ones competing) from your country or others and let's discuss them in detail.:teehee:

In the meantime here is last year's winner:

[YOUTUBE]fSnz-iF9Xps[/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... and let me also post the winning song from the Hungarian national final that took place tonight.

Compact Disco - The Sound of Our Hearts

the video is not an official one but I will replace it with the new one when it becomes available.

...and the live version from the national semi-finals two weeks ago:

[YOUTUBE]rkQ5m65g-6w&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

PS. I really like this band and although they have even better songs, IMO, (eg. I'm in Love, I Feel the Rain, Without You 'reLiszt' version) this one should be fine for Eurovision as they have made it sound more like a movie-track with the heavier bass..etc. :thumb_yello:

I hope they will do something with their stage appearance though as they are basically invisible on the stage in their black outfits :aah:

Edited by suzie

Norway also picked their entry tonight...and it's gonna be:

Tooji with his song Stay

Well, all I say is: Eric Saade anyone?!:fisch:

The song is kinda trashy, BUT no one can deny it's catchy. I like the oriental touch to it. And it is a good song for Eurovision.

Edited by mariposa
It wouldn't let me embed the song...Weird...

Thanks for sharing!

I like the Hungarian entry, Suzy. The French one is kinda boring. I actually REALLY liked her song "Song on the sahara" many years ago. She could do so much better.

Haven't really listened to many other songs yet...will do so tomorrow maybe.

Here's a list with all of the songs that have already been chosen/confirmed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurovision_Song_Contest_2012

No idea yet how the German entry will be...So far there are still 4 acts in the competition...2 of them are horrible...The other 2 could be "ok" if they get the right song...We'll see. Roman is most likely to make it though http://www.eurovision.de/videos/videoindex101_archiveID-videoarchiv173_videoID-usfb1103.html

I cannot listen to any of the songs right now so I'll comment on them later.

we know who's going to enter, but not the song yet :roftl: there's no competition anymore here where people can vote (well in the flemish part anyway and its our turn this year so)

Here it is the opposite: there used to be no competition at all with the exception of one or two years maybe (when votes were actually 'bought'), but performers appointed to represent the country.

This year it was done properly: there were 20 songs selected for 2 semi-finals and 3 from each semi-final were chosen by the jury based on their live performance, plus an additional one by public voting. Now in the final 4 of the 8 songs were voted for by the public and out of these 4 the jury chose the one to represent us. I actually agree with their decision completely and I found out today that this song also won the popular voting of local Eurovision enthusiasts on the net so out of the ones in the competition this band/song does to be the best we can offer right now. :teehee:

Edited by suzie

Thanks for posting the list, mariposa! I'm gonna see if there are some songs I like already :thumb_yello:

The French song is a bit disappointing. :sad: It's a bit "flat" if you know what I mean? Shame because I liked the first seconds... But then it got a bit weird :blink: I expected something else I guess.

we know who's going to enter, but not the song yet :roftl: there's no competition anymore here where people can vote (well in the flemish part anyway and its our turn this year so)

I really miss it.. :sad: Those shows were so much fun.

Anyway, I don't know about the girl we're sending. She's very young, that's all they seem to focus on. This is the girl with one of her previous songs:

[YOUTUBE]eeiYk6biZq8[/YOUTUBE]

I personally don't really like her voice and her accent when she sings. We'll see when the song is decided on I guess.

Thanks for posting the list, mariposa! I'm gonna see if there are some songs I like already :thumb_yello:

The French song is a bit disappointing. :sad: It's a bit "flat" if you know what I mean? Shame because I liked the first seconds... But then it got a bit weird :blink: I expected something else I guess.

I really miss it.. :sad: Those shows were so much fun.

Anyway, I don't know about the girl we're sending. She's very young, that's all they seem to focus on. This is the girl with one of her previous songs:

[YOUTUBE]eeiYk6biZq8[/YOUTUBE]

I personally don't really like her voice and her accent when she sings. We'll see when the song is decided on I guess.

i liked those shows too :teehee:

hey guys,just want to tell i'm in Baku

Really? Id didn't know that! Glad to be able to receive news first hand

anyone wants to come here?:aah::blush-anim-cl:

Well, not for Eurovision but otherwise I'd like to see the Caspian see one day, perhaps combing it with a trip to Georgia and Armenia as well.:thumb_yello:

Well, I've been listening to some songs. Some of my thoughts:

Malta: reminds me somewhat of "I wanna go" by Britney Spears. Not really a fan but it isn't horrible I suppose.

Norway: I quite like it! It's catchy. I can certainly see myself singing along to this song and playing it more than once. I'm not really a fan of the guy's voice and style but hey, it works :thumb_yello:

Iceland: Difficult. The beginning was kinda bad, got a bit better, got bad again... Overall it's okay I guess. I wouldn't want to hear it again though. I'm not impressed with the styling/performance. My first thought was: wow, am I watching eurovision or a funeral? :blink:

Hungary: I like it. It's the type of music I'd listen to outside of the eurovision as well. After listening to it once, I can already sing along to the chorus and it kinda sticks in your head. Good sign. I recognize the singer from somewhere.

Cyprus: First thought when reading the title: aiaiaiai! First thought when listening to the opening seconds: aiaiaiaiaiaiai!!!! The lyrics are a bit cheesy but I have to admit the chorus makes me move a little bit :teehee: It's a very high energy/happy song but it almost seems too youthful for the eurovision. I'm really curious to see this at the live show because I'd like to see if she can pull off the singing and dancing at the same time. If so, big thumbs up. That's hard!

Denmark: Love this! Love the song, love the voice. I hope they'll use some different styling, the marine/navy/military look doesn't work for me. But no comments otherwise:thumb_yello: Great song, will add this to my collection :teehee:

Albania: nice voice though too screamish at times, emotional song. The "screaming" begins to annoy me after the second time though. I also don't know if the song will have any power left when the orchestra is removed? I thought the rules were: max of 6 people on stage? Or has this changed? I don't know, the song screams despair. It's not my cup of tea.

Switzerland: It's a bit of a chaos when listening at first. I don't know what to hear first. There's no climax in the song to me. My foot finally started tapping along to the song and then all of a sudden it was over. I don't feel it.

hey guys,just want to tell i'm in Baku and i'm so excited about this competition cuz it'll be the first time in here and blah blah... anyone wants to come here?:aah::blush-anim-cl:

How cool is that? I'd be very excited if I were you!

So today the semi-final of the German pre-selection took place and - believe it or not - the only two I liked out of 20 contestants in the very beginning made it to the finals on Thursday: Ornella and Roman :thumb_yello: Looking forward to find out what song it's gonna be and what singer (Roman hopefully...Today, he did "Use somebody" http://www.unser-star-fuer-baku.tv/videos/player/index.html?contentId=129001&initialTab=related :wub2:). Nice, this show ends better than I would have ever thought.

Edited by mariposa

Really? Id didn't know that! Glad to be able to receive news first hand

Well, not for Eurovision but otherwise I'd like to see the Caspian see one day, perhaps combing it with a trip to Georgia and Armenia as well.:thumb_yello:

well i recommend you to come here one day! it definitely worth it:wink2:

How cool is that? I'd be very excited if I were you!

i'm so excited too,however winning Azerbaijan was weird to me:blink: i wasn't a fan of it but i didn't get sad too cuz i knew i'll be able to see this show alive next year.:yay:

So today the semi-final of the German pre-selection took place and - believe it or not - the only two I liked out of 20 contestants in the very beginning made it to the finals on Thursday: Ornella and Roman :thumb_yello: Looking forward to find out what song it's gonna be and what singer (Roman hopefully...

They were my favorites, too :thumb_yello: Hopefully they have chosen good songs!

I like Roman, he has some warmness in his voice. My favorite from the beginning. So I'm for him, too. Unless Ornella has a great song of course, with the right song that fits her she could be better than Roman.

So far none of the entries has convinced me.

Malta and France are very boring, I even can't recall them any more as I have watched them as the were chosen.

Norway is not my style, but I have to admit that it's good.

Albania is at least something special. I wasn't so fond of it in the NF, but that could be a song that needs some listenings.

With Iceland it's reverse for me, I like the beginning but than it goes into nowhere - it's neither catchy nor different-interesting. And it seems like seen 10times before on Eurovision.

I can't stand the singer of Denmark. I don't know why and I don't want it - actually it's the kind of music that I like normally - but I can't watch it.

Switzerland seems a little bit average - but somehow I like it, especially the guitar-melody.

Hungary seems average for me, too, at first listening - good, but nothing special. But at second listening I began to like it - could be one of these songs that I like after some listenings. The best entry from your NF however is

for me :teehee:

Cyprus is the biggest surprise for me. Even if the title is incredible silly and I'm not listening to dance-songs very often either I couldn't stop to listen to it a few times on repeating. It's really catchy. By the way, it's produced by Redone :wink2:

Belarus was chosen today. No one seems so fond of it, but I like the refrain, it has some darkness in it.

Well, I think at the end I probably will like most of the songs. Last year I didn't like much of the entries at the beginning, too, and now 2011 is one of the greatest ESCs for me :wink2:

Edited by DerMoment1608

I still haven't managed to listen to the entries, only Norway.

Quick reaction after first listening: I can hear it is catchy (not as catchy as the Swedish entry from last year though) but it is really not one I'd want to listen to again. So is he the next Eric Saade then?:naughty: I like the short oriental bit in the chorus. That must be a reference to his origin.

I recognize the singer from somewhere.

Really? Let me know where.. Apparently, Tiësto has been playing a song of theirs (I'm in Love) for quite a while, so it could happen you may have seen the singer's face somewhere:dunno:

Hungary The best entry from your NF however is

for me :teehee:

In a way, I agree with you, except that on a personal level I am pretty fed up with the types of reggae-pop songs flooding the radio nowadays. Even I'm Yours and Billionaire were too unoriginal for me, so any other songs copying them can only be worse in my eyes...:naughty:

and even the concept of the video behind the guy is taken from someone else's, I can't think of which artist it was though.

Hungary seems average for me, too, at first listening - good, but nothing special. But at second listening I began to like it - could be one of these songs that I like after some listenings.

I felt the same after first listening. I discovered them about a year ago and believe it or not, they are part of the 'alternative' scene in Hungary, as they play electro-pop and not mainstream pop, and I found this song 'average' vs their absolutely brilliant ones:

I'm in Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YrSTIvpCR0

I Feel The Rain

Without You - esp. this version with an orchestra + Liszt themes:

:wub2:

However, I really like it when they play it live. So, all in all, Compact Disco may not get as high scores as that young guy (for whom the song was written by a professional team of writers) would have probably received but still, all that band needs is some exposure on a European level with a decent song so that people will check out their other works.

Edited by suzie

but still, all that band needs is some exposure on a European level with a decent song so that people will check out their other works.

I'm not sure if a "decent songs" is good enough for that. There are 42 other entries this year. And at the end there will be some bad, a lot of decent songs and some really good songs. And if a singer/group wants to get more popularity he needs a real good song - if it's only a decent one then there is to much "rivalry" as no one will check the band/singer behind the ESC-entry for let's say 20 entries.

But if a song is bad/decent/great for the mass we will see on the 26th of May ;) So, maybe a lot of people will like the Hungarian entry instantly.

But I will check your posted links when I have a little bit more time, because it sounds interesting what you are telling about this band :thumb_yello:

Germany has chosen their entry totay: It's Roman Lob with "Standing Still". And I have to say that I liked it very much from the beginning. The intro sounded great. And then came the "junction" from the verses to the refrain. And I was only thinking "yes!". And while listening to the song I had a real good feeling inside me. Yes, I like it very much, it had much more effect on me than the other chosen entries of this year so far (and as I am German I tend to be more critically with our one entries). That's my taste.

http://www.unser-star-fuer-baku.tv/usfo/videos/player/index.html?contentId=129225&initialTab=related

I liked the other entry in the superfinal, Ornella with "Quietly", too. First I thought it is good, but not great, than it was really growing after listening to it for the second/third time. At the end I would have been very happy with both of them.

http://www.unser-star-fuer-baku.tv/usfo/videos/player/index.html?contentId=129214&initialTab=related

But the other 4 entries in our NF were very boring and average to my mind. Which is kind of irritating as the 6 songs today were supposedly the best of all transmission. I don't know if the transmissions were so bad or if the jury did chose so bad. Especially the other two songs for Ornella weren't fitting to her style and personality at all! But that's not important now, important is the winner. And with "Standing still" we won't need to be like that "smilie_verl_049.gif" like it was with some of our previous entries even if I don't think it's a winner but I could be a good place.

Edited by DerMoment1608

I can actually say that I LOVE the German song for Baku, too. It builds up to the chorus. And let's admit it, Roman is kinda cute, too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWSCglF5Er8

ROMAN LOB - STANDING STILL written by Jamie Cullum :wub2:

(The only song I really liked from tonight's show)

Been listening to it non-stop for 2 hours now and I think it's getting better and better.

Can't believe it was sooo close (and yeah, they got me into sending a few text messages in, too :blush-anim-cl:). But now I am happy and I can start making plans for Eurovision.To me it's no longer important how he will be doing in the end...As long as I'm ok with the song everything is fine.

Edited by mariposa

A interesting piece of information I just read: The songwriters of this songs are Steve Robson, Jamie Cullum and Wayne Hector - and Steve Robson and Wayne Hectors are the two guys who wrote "Cry a little" (which could be a song from the new album) together with Mika!