“It is fun. It’s f***ing fun!”

Milda

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's known frYars for a while, he was at the pub party.

Yeah that sounds right...he was getting press in late 2007 when he was 19 so he would have been 21 at the pub party. I imagine the songwriting probably happened 2 years later. :naughty:

I always wondered about this Madonna-thing. At first I thought that maybe William Orbit was the link, but now I think you might be right and Priscilla is the link...

That's something I wonder about, too. It may have all come from William Orbit who could have already been in touch with Mika.

Can any of you put the following events in chronological order:

- William Orbit pictured with Mika at the exhibition on the band Queen (their 30th anniversary )

- that tweet about William Orbit, Mika and Roger Taylor in the studio

- Priscilla and Mika having fun on twitter

(I think this may be the right order, actually :teehee:)

That's something I wonder about, too. It may have all come from William Orbit who could have already been in touch with Mika.

- William Orbit pictured with Mika at the exhibition on the band Queen (their 30th anniversary )

I thought the tweet was before the Queen´s party... Not sure, but I think when someone tagged William Orbit in that pic, I thought "Oh, so this is W. Orbit"... So I should have heard that name before... But don´t pay attention, my mind doesn´t work fine with chronologies...

What would we talk about here if Mika actually made simple, whole-truth and nothing-but-the-truth statements so we didn't have to play these games for years. :lmfao:

awww.thank you for posting:huglove:

I never experienced the songs the way he described them :lmfao:

I can´t wait to see the footage of that gig. I got really curious about the set and band now too.:blush-anim-cl: hehe.

awww.thank you for posting:huglove:

I can´t wait to see the footage of that gig. I got really curious about the set and band now too.:blush-anim-cl: hehe.

My thoughts exactly, I have no idea what to expect. And saying "I've taken electronic music and given it as much heart as I could..." is not really something tangible, is it :teehee: But it's a lovely thought and makes me think he is doing his best and has given the album a lot of thought. But yes, we need to hear it!

George Michael is not secretive any more about his private life but it still doesn't make him a gay icon and neither was Freddie Mercury one... What I meant by the music being the reason is not the lyrical contentt but the genre of the songs. Gay audiences prefer more danceable tunes and extravagant style, IMO.

I see your point.

My thoughts exactly, I have no idea what to expect. And saying "I've taken electronic music and given it as much heart as I could..." is not really something tangible, is it :teehee:

Funny I think this is the ONLY tangible thing he's said so far. I know what he means by electronic music feeling cold and formulaic. There are ways to blend what he's always done with electronic music without losing his essence and without it turning out average/mediocre.

I was just referring to this a few days ago in another thread when I posted the Sia video. Sia is also a very strong vocalist and a brilliant melody writer who has written for other artists as well as herself. For the most part her music is not electronic. But she has been hooking up with the likes of David Guetta and Flo Rida and (IMO) the result is spectacular.

Sarah McLachlan is also a great vocalist/songwriter and often sings melancholic and what could almost be classed as Celtic folk music but she was featured in one of the greatest dance tracks of the late 90s.

Of course that's just my own bias about what I think is great electronic music and I'm not sure if Mika would ever stray that far away from pop to club music. What he's doing could end up sounding like Jessie J's Domino I suppose. As much as I like it I don't think Elle Me Dit hit the mark at all and I guess I would be a bit disappointed if the whole album sounded like that. But he said that the production of EMD was rushed and he's spent a lot of time and worked with a lot of people to make this album so I'm expecting something of a different calibre.

But of course you're right, ultimately we just have to wait and see (or hear) to know what he really means. :wink2:

Funny I think this is the ONLY tangible thing he's said so far. I know what he means by electronic music feeling cold and formulaic. There are ways to blend what he's always done with electronic music without losing his essence and without it turning out average/mediocre.

I was just referring to this a few days ago in another thread when I posted the Sia video. Sia is also a very strong vocalist and a brilliant melody writer who has written for other artists as well as herself. For the most part her music is not electronic. But she has been hooking up with the likes of David Guetta and Flo Rida and (IMO) the result is spectacular.

Sarah McLachlan is also a great vocalist/songwriter and often sings melancholic and what could almost be classed as Celtic folk music but she was featured in one of the greatest dance tracks of the late 90s.

Of course that's just my own bias about what I think is great electronic music and I'm not sure if Mika would ever stray that far away from pop to club music. What he's doing could end up sounding like Jessie J's Domino I suppose. As much as I like it I don't think Elle Me Dit hit the mark at all and I guess I would be a bit disappointed if the whole album sounded like that. But he said that the production of EMD was rushed and he's spent a lot of time and worked with a lot of people to make this album so I'm expecting something of a different calibre.

But of course you're right, ultimately we just have to wait and see (or hear) to know what he really means. :wink2:

Yes, I understand what you mean and I might talk about "cold" electronic music myself. But you know, I have never managed to imagine anything in advance, and to tell the truth I just want to hear everything live and I trust he can make it work. Thanks for the examples, I will go and listen.

Edited by tiibet

Yes, I understand what you mean and I might talk about "cold" electronic music myself. But you know, I have never managed to imagine anything in advance, and to tell the truth I just want to hear everything live and I trust he can make it work. Thanks for the examples, I will go and listen.

Edit: You mean the song with the Police sounding beginning, lol? Yes, I like the style! I don't like Jessie J at all...

I used to like Jessie J. I saw her in the same club where I first saw Mika singing acoustically and she was just as good IMO. But now she sounds like a manufactured pop star which is unfortunate.

I have never imagined anything in advance with this album either because Mika hasn't said anything concrete about it. At least we know now that it is electronic because he was giving mixed messages about it before - one minute it was Robyn (who is ultra electronic) and the next it was the Carpenters. When he says things like that I just dismiss it completely because it makes no sense. :lmfao:

But now we know. It's electronic and he's tried to use organic sounds. He did it with Rain and Owen Pallett's violin so we can at least imagine how this can be achieved and "organic electronic music" is not the oxymoron it may sound like. I think Mika is saying if you start with some random sounds and try to write a song around it it's going to be pretty uninspired so (perhaps?) he has done the opposite and created the electronic sound (sometimes with organic methods) after writing the song.

Robyn has a full band with two drummers at her gigs so I am sure it's all going to sound great live. I can understand now why he wants a new band and I don't think it's just for the sake of image or starting fresh. It's probably a necessity.

I used to like Jessie J. I saw her in the same club where I first saw Mika singing acoustically and she was just as good IMO. But now she sounds like a manufactured pop star which is unfortunate.

I have never imagined anything in advance with this album either because Mika hasn't said anything concrete about it. At least we know now that it is electronic because he was giving mixed messages about it before - one minute it was Robyn (who is ultra electronic) and the next it was the Carpenters. When he says things like that I just dismiss it completely because it makes no sense. :lmfao:

But now we know. It's electronic and he's tried to use organic sounds. He did it with Rain and Owen Pallett's violin so we can at least imagine how this can be achieved and "organic electronic music" is not the oxymoron it may sound like. I think Mika is saying if you start with some random sounds and try to write a song around it it's going to be pretty uninspired so (perhaps?) he has done the opposite and created the electronic sound (sometimes with organic methods) after writing the song.

Robyn has a full band with two drummers at her gigs so I am sure it's all going to sound great live. I can understand now why he wants a new band and I don't think it's just for the sake of image or starting fresh. It's probably a necessity.

Martin wrote on his FB that he left the band as part of Mika´s rebranding for the launch of the third album. I´m not sure that I got the exactly meaning of these words but I think he said Mika´s image will change very much, right?

I just deleted my edit part because it was so random and I sounded so negative with Jessie J. I thought it's only about my taste (because I don't like her style) but I guess I wasn't alone with my thoughts.

You mean the new music is so different he just had to change the band/ the combination of musicians to sound right?

@Sabine I saw Martin's FB update and was wondering who wrote it and what does it mean? It's not coming from him personally?

I just deleted my edit part because it was so random and I sounded so negative with Jessie J. I thought it's only about my taste (because I don't like her style) but I guess I wasn't alone with my thoughts.

You mean the new music is so different he just had to change the band/ the combination of musicians to sound right?

@Sabine I saw Martin's FB update and was wondering who wrote it and what does it mean? It's not coming from him personally?

I thought it was Martin´s FB page, is it not? Now I´m confused :blink:

I thought it was Martin´s FB page, is it not? Now I´m confused :blink:

Well maybe it is. I thought it's kind of a "fan page" and I didn't know if he updates it personally. There is a page for Jimmy too, not controlled by him, with hundreds of "likes". And the word "rebranding" is quite strong and I was wondering who wrote it.

You know, if Martin says Mika is rebranding it tells something, if it comes from a random person it tells nothing.

Edited by tiibet

Well maybe it is. I thought it's kind of a "fan page" and I didn't know he updates it personally. There is a page for Jimmy too, not controlled by him, with hundreds of "likes". And the word "rebranding" is quite strong and I was wondering who wrote it.

FB is dangerous, it´s so easy to get wrong. Yes " rebranding " was the term which made me goose skin and not in a good way.