Media reactions to 'Make You Happy'.

robertina

I don't know why they're all knicker-twisted. I spotted two gay couples, or one gay couple and one where both people were REALLY andro. seemed to me, and I could be wrong, but it seemed to me to be pretty representative of life.

I do not get why it can't just be NORMAL for there to be a gay couple, why does it have to be in a special gilt frame, with spotlights and shiny tassels?

He doesn't have to champion anyone's views but his own, and the video isn't HIS vision anyway, it's Iouri Philippe Paille - he directed.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Mika's management might have sent some emails to the gay press.. Here's another gay magazine who wrote they got an email, this can't be a coincidence :fisch:

http://www.gaytimes.co.uk/Interact/Blogs-articleid-9079-sectionid-760.html

:shocked: Do they know who Mika is?

Quote: "As we clicked open an email to Mika’s first song from his new album, The Origin of Love, we were presented an image of Mika and his biceps and armpit hairs sneaking out of his well-fitted top." :blink:

But they love the song. :thumb_yello:

:shocked: Do they know who Mika is?

Quote: "As we clicked open an email to Mika’s first song from his new album, The Origin of Love, we were presented an image of Mika and his biceps and armpit hairs sneaking out of his well-fitted top." :blink:

I think they are talking about this pic :naughty:

148951_10150836777608040_551586812_n.jpg

But they love the song. :thumb_yello:

Yep, that's all what matters :thumb_yello:

i don't know why anyone would expect a music video to have an agenda for a cause no matter what it is. Sting and Bono put me off with all their issues, even if I agree with them. For me music is about fun. It's escapism. I have other avenues to learn about important issues in the world and do not want to be guilt tripped or preached at 24 hours a day.

Indeed. I do think music is a powerful tool to deal with various issues though.

I don't know why they're all knicker-twisted. I spotted two gay couples, or one gay couple and one where both people were REALLY andro. seemed to me, and I could be wrong, but it seemed to me to be pretty representative of life.

I do not get why it can't just be NORMAL for there to be a gay couple, why does it have to be in a special gilt frame, with spotlights and shiny tassels?

He doesn't have to champion anyone's views but his own, and the video isn't HIS vision anyway, it's Iouri Philippe Paille - he directed.

:lmfao:

The song is in a local (Argentina) radio station site :yay: :yay:

http://www.los40.com/videos/videoclips/mika--make-you-happy/video/1461560.aspx

It just says that his music has changed a lot and that the song gives us an idea on what to expect.

Edit: and it has almost 5 starts from 21 votes from the people :arf2: Ok, I am utterly excited!

Edited by sweet.pixie

From @europa_fm, a Spanish radio station! :biggrin2:

¡Feliz Martes! El cantante libanés Mika (@mikasounds) quiere hacerte feliz con su último regalo: Make you happy. Míralo http://www.europafm.com.

Translation: Happy Tuesday! Lebanese singer Mika wants to make you happy with his latest gift: Make You Happy. Watch it.

Edited by LeiRe

I don't understand these comparisons to Owl City's Fireflies. I listened to it the other day and it's that typical slightly juvenile whiney autotuned I-can't-really-sing-and-need-technical-support sound. Make You Happy sounds nothing like that.

I don't know what they've done to generate the "robot voice" but it sounds like whatever vocoder that Imogen Heap used on Hide and Seek and not like the Cher effect setting of autotune that is used by rappers because they are not singers. It's a very very different vibe IMO.

I really like the video, but now I think it was a mistake to release Make You Happy attached to it. There seems to be much more fuss about the lack of gay couples in the video than about the song itself :blink:

Nothing about the song, just about the video..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/11/mikas-new-video-make-you-happy_n_1587801.html?utm_hp_ref=gay-voices

P.S. At least our Lucrezia is famous now :naughty:

Oh nice job Lucrezia. :lmfao::thumb_yello:

That other comment...I don't know. I guess no one imagined that people would not notice that there is a gay couple. And there are other scenes with boys even if they are not touching each other. I suppose the video could have been more obvious but it's not as if it was exclusively straight people in this video. I really don't understand how you couldn't notice it if you are looking for it, which these people clearly are.

Some of these people - bloggers and commenters alike - are seriously clueless. No surprise there, so I am awaiting proper reviews from people who actually understand what they are talking about.

However, I just can't get over the fact that a few of the commentors merely use the opportunity to spread hatred. It must be some weird psychological need for them to let it all out, whatever it is, on a space where they think 'millions' will read but very few actually do or care. Perhaps they have no-one to talk to in real life. :dunno: They remind me of people talking to themselves on public transport.:freak:

Some of these people - bloggers and commenters alike - are seriously clueless. No surprise there, so I am awaiting proper reviews from people who actually understand what they are talking about.

However, I just can't get over the fact that a few of the commentors merely use the opportunity to spread hatred. It must be some weird psychological need for them to let it all out, whatever it is, on a space where they think 'millions' will read but very few actually do or care. Perhaps they have no-one to talk to in real life. :dunno: They remind me of people talking to themselves on public transport.:freak:

Yes, this is really ridiculous :doh:

They say: "user Chris Helios comments, "All I saw was a bunch of skinny, straight, white people. Did I blink and miss something?" and user Denis Adaire writes, "Did the filmakers think that boys and boys and girls and girls don't want to make each other happy too? I think Mika missed an opportunity to say something more beautiful and powerful.""

Erm...since when is it Mika's (and any other artist for that matter) responsibility to fly the flag for anyone else, or to represent everything in a song or a video or anything they do? It's just a little film, ffs, and there is no point in trying to turn it into a political matter, or a 'social issues' cause. People are so idiotic and full of sh*t that it's shocking the world is not in a worse state as it is :doh:

Yes, this is really ridiculous :doh:

They say: "user Chris Helios comments, "All I saw was a bunch of skinny, straight, white people. Did I blink and miss something?" and user Denis Adaire writes, "Did the filmakers think that boys and boys and girls and girls don't want to make each other happy too? I think Mika missed an opportunity to say something more beautiful and powerful.""

Erm...since when is it Mika's (and any other artist for that matter) responsibility to fly the flag for anyone else, or to represent everything in a song or a video or anything they do? It's just a little film, ffs, and there is no point in trying to turn it into a political matter, or a 'social issues' cause. People are so idiotic and full of sh*t that it's shocking the world is not in a worse state as it is :doh:

:thumb_yello: I agree. How disappointing I go see how art of someone is judged by their sexuality or their choice not to be included in rules, in labels. I think the video is beautiful, tasteful but the comments JUST SEES if there are gays or straights into the video, how disappointing to see that it matters.:mf_rosetinted:

Oh nice job Lucrezia. :lmfao::thumb_yello:

That other comment...I don't know. I guess no one imagined that people would not notice that there is a gay couple. And there are other scenes with boys even if they are not touching each other. I suppose the video could have been more obvious but it's not as if it was exclusively straight people in this video. I really don't understand how you couldn't notice it if you are looking for it, which these people clearly are.

I can't understand how it's possible to miss the gay couple or can't understand why they should have highlighted it either. Maybe it could have been more open, but it's a lovely couple as every couple in the vid. Anyway, the point in the vid is happiness.

:thumb_yello: I agree. How disappointing I go see how art of someone is judged by their sexuality or their choice not to be included in rules, in labels. I think the video is beautiful, tasteful but the comments JUST SEES if there are gays or straights into the video, how disappointing to see that it matters.:mf_rosetinted:

Yes, there seem to be rules and some people think he is not following them? It's a beautiful video indeed, I loved it from the first watching.