Mika on RFM radio France this evening - June 25 2012

Mikabéa

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, feels good to know I didn't miss any album info :thumb_yello:

Yes, it is basically the same story we already know (about his childhood). I will translate it though because there are more details , but I have to go shopping now. I'll do it as soon as I'm back.

But it is so frustrating that they never aired the first part of the interview :(

I've have asked RFM about it on twitter, I hope they'll do something about it.

Yes, it is basically the same story we already know (about his childhood). I will translate it though because there are more details , but I have to go shopping now. I'll do it as soon as I'm back.

But it is so frustrating that they never aired the first part of the interview :(

I've have asked RFM about it on twitter, I hope they'll do something about it.

I think we'll have it as a podcast

I think we'll have it as a podcast

Me too, but I was hoping it would be already there today so we could hear it before the second one....we can follow because we know Mika well though :naughty:

I'm on the phone with my husband, so I can't translate yet :aah:

damnit Mika speak english :aah:

English translation :wink2:

Tonight we are happy to host our last guest of the season on RFM who is Mika.

Journalist:Good evening

Mika :Good evening

Journalist: Very happy to have you here all week long at RFM at 7 PM, we'll be talking about you and we'll hear your new song Celebrate which is being played by many radios and RFM of course. A very beautiful song we talked about yesterday but we also chatted about your personal story , yesterday (for those who missed that part) you told me about your childhood in France in Paris (16th arrondissement) with your father who worked in a bank , your mother who is an artist and you have four sibblings and you play lots of games, you live in a bubble of fantasy and poetry and something happened in the world as I was syaig yesterday Sadam Hussein attacked Koweit. That's an event everyone remembers but it had personal consequences for you .

Mika :At first, it was just another invasion we saw on the news . My father was away on a business trip but that was normal , he was always away on business trips when we were young, he was almost never home, but I understood there was something wrong because my mother didn't smile any more and my father was in Koweit on the night when it was invaded by Sadam Hussein. And we had friends who send bedouins to get my father but when they arrived at the hotel he had already escaped secretely and he was finding refuge in the American ambassy. He had to stay there for eight months because if he tried to go out he would have been killed or held as an hostage.

Journalist: How can you cope with that when you are eight? Who explained that to you?

Mika: It was on CNN and they were explaining it , that's how I knew with the TV news.

Journalist: How would you sum up those eight months as seen by your young eyes?

Mika: In my memory time flew by during those eight months , there was lots of sadness but also lots of hapiness at the same time . I remember our apartment which was very shiny before , very white, everything in there was painted in white because we were kids we messed up everything so my mother decided everything should be painted in white, even the TV sides were painted with white paint. it was one of those huge television sets they made in the 80's. And my father being away everything became a little darker and we had many money problems . There were no more flowers or people who helped in the house, we were always alone together and we got closer together as a family even more than before. I was young so I only remember those details but I remember that period flew by very fast.

Journalist: We need to sum up your story or else we'd spend three hours talking, so what happened when your father came back home is that you all moved to England and his business isn't going well at that time , but I want to focus on you , on how that period changed your personality. You didn't have a house for a year, but you had to live in a bed and breakfast , it wasn't easy.

Mika: Yes, when my father came back , he wasn't exactly..

Journalist : Like before?

Mika: Yes , he had lost his job, we had lost everything . I live in a family who tends to have that happening both on my father's and on my mother's side, they were wealthy then they lost all their money. There were always those ups and downs in both their families. However they were sad that it happened once again. We lost everything . My last memory of the apartment is that the ushers had taken everything .

Journalist: As in a movie.

Mika: Yes. Ushers are part of my chidlhood . We knew all the trick to avoid the ushers, like when they knocked at the door we would always say there were no adults with us, that our mum and dad were both at work.

Journalist: And now we talk about it and find it funny, but it wasn't funny then.

Mika: It didn't make us laugh then but it didn't make us cry either. Once in a while it was very sad but me and my sibblings we were close as a gang , we knew all the tricks, we were good at it, we know what their limits were. Then we left for London, I was in a small school after the one , then I was in French Lycée Charles de Gaulles in London. In London we lived in bed and breakast hotels.

Journalist: All right, now we will talk about it tomorrow. This period influenced you a lot and you had difficulties with reading and writing due to that. You were blocked in a way, but your mother had a great idea to unblock you which is what we will talk about tomorrow.

Mika: Yes. See you tomorrow.

Thanks for the translation, Anne! :flowers2:

Thank you, Anne! Is it just me or he's "revealing" more details from time to time?

I feel the same about it, and thanks for the translation Anne :)

You're very welcome, I'm always happy to translate Mika's interviews :biggrin2:

I have the same feeling that he gives more and more details which I really enjoyed , as he said in his coffee cup interview , he wears his heart on his sleeve :blush-anim-cl:

That's the power of love :wub2:

so they'll broadcast the third part today at 7pm?

hope we find the podcast of the first part.

you're most welcome Netina :original:

yes, they will

I think we'll find all parts on their site

Thank you so much Marina :huglove:

I missed it live because I got a phone call just before it started :aah:

And I can't pause the replay, so your dl is a lot better for transalting :thumb_yello:

This is the translation for today's part

M : I remember I met my first friend in London at the Lycée Français on the first day of school. There was another boy sitting next to me, we were very young, we were 9, and he was crying and crying... So I went to see him and asked 'what's your problem', during the lesson, because for me it was completely normal to talk during lessons

J : Why?

M : I don't know, because I was coming from a small school where we could talk, we were not told off every 2 seconds because there were small classes, so there wasn't any pressure, there wasn't this authority that was at the Lycée Français and that I hated. It was horrible, they wanted us to work well but they scared us. And I was not used to this, when I'm scared I don't do anything.

J : Like a lot of human beings

M : But most of the time, in that school, that was the mentality and I hated it. So there was this guy, he was crying and crying, and I asked him 'what's your problem, why are you crying, it's not that bad, it will be over in 3 hours, we can talk if you want' And I went on and on and on, and finally he stopped crying, an hour and a half later, we went outside, and he started screaming at me in Italian. And I realised that the reason why he was crying is that he was Italian and he didn't know French. I talked to him for an hour and a half and he didn't even know what I was talking about... His name was Nicolas, and since that day, we are best friends.

J : He lives in Paris and you still see each other

M : Yes we do. He's getting married this Summer.

J : So back at that time, were you dyslexic? Is it true that you had learning problems?

M : No, at that time I didn't have any problem, I was fine, I hated school but it didn't matter. The following year I had a very strict teacher, she was almost abusive, she used to choose some pupils

J : Scapegoats?

M : Yes but it was extreme, really really extreme, she was destructive in every way. She had decided that she would destroy me and 2 other pupils and I was not used to it, and that's when my dyslexia started. Suddenly I struggled writing things I could write a month before, and I was struggling more and more. And she used to look at me as if I was lazy or doing nothing, and I liked singing, music, I liked.. not being the clown to get attention, but that was my way of being. So she completely destroyed me, she completely tore me apart. She did horrible things, she made me stay on my chair for hours telling me off, I had to stay up on my chair during the lesson and other things like that, and I had nobody to help me out. Classroom abuse like this, nobody can see it apart from people who are experiencing it, and it's not the other children's fault, it's just the mentality. One day my sister arrived and saw what was happening. At that time I was not talking anymore, I had decided not to talk anymore because everytime I opened my mouth it would be a disaster.

J : Were you not talking anymore at school or in your life in general?

M : I was not talking even at home, I couldn't write, and this teacher was so frustrated that she completely lost her mind, in front of my sister. My sister went out of the school and explained everything to my mother, it was Paloma, she went away and told everything to my mother. My father and I had to see the school director and he told us 'you have a choice, either you're expelled or you leave now, and you don't come back anymore' And my father told him 'Sir, go to hell, we don't care, he's not coming back' So I went home and after that during 5 months I did nothing but go to the park. My mum told me 'Don't go to school anymore, you can't read or write anymore, you're just starting speaking again, going to school would be a waste of time, most schools are mediocre'

J : How do you live this situation?

M : I didn't care. For me school was not to learn, it was to be miserable, that's a big difference, why would I miss something that made me miserable?

J : So you felt loved and supported by your family

M: And my mother told me one day 'I realise you have a problem, either you will end up in prison, or you'll do something good of your life, it's your decision and I'm going to help you to find this thing'

Edited by camille*