Mika on RFM radio France this evening - June 25 2012

Mikabéa

thanks thanks thanks so much for the translationssss!!!! :bow::wub2::huglove:

I loved this interview!!! this part of Mika´s life which I didn´t know in details, and now to have the opportunity to know how important his friends, and family are for him...it´s just impressive!!!! what a talented man!!!! I´m really proud of myself to hace chosen him as my favourite artist!! :teehee::naughty:

but this part of the interview is simply fantastic: "I don't know. I think it's ok to be down , it's ok to have ups and downs , The thing is if your dreams are based on something you want to create with your hands or with our heads, it is clear that those dreams will always come back . Even they don't come back for a year or two, after that they will come back and in those dreams you find inspiration and the power to have physically the ablility to win over all the ennemies you have in the world. So it clearly comes from dreams, from talent, from the secrets we have in our heads." Bravo Mika!!!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you very much Marina for recording and posting every day:flowers2:

What he says for the people who are trying to make their dreams come true is very inspiring! Also loved this phrase "plus ça change, plus ça change pas":wub2:

Hope we'll get to hear the first part of the interview as well.

Sorry for being so late in posting this here, someone needs to be locked into MFC attic again :sneaky2:

Here is the last part (part five) of Mika's RFM interview in English:

Journalist: very happy to be with you during this last week before the holidays and very happy to be with Mika who has just released a new song. Your new single is called Celebrate that you can hear on RFM and everywhere else . Mika, I was impatient to contnue the interview and so were you yesterday.

Mika: Yes, ten minutes is a very short time to tell everything.

Journalist: We were talking about this little boy who was , how old did you say?

Mika: Eleven, I was eleven.

Journalist : And at the age of eleven you became addicted to the red and gold during your first time on stage .

Mika: Yes.

Journalist: And you feel you have found your place in this world , after a childhoood when you felt totally different and that's an euphemism to put it that way, it's nothing compared to what you really had to go through . We need to speed up things a little , at that point it is clear for you , you have understood that you want to be a musician , that you want to write songs.

Mika: I'll tell you what. I didn't want to be a musician, I didn't feel as a musician.

Journalist : singer?

Mika: No, not even a singer, I wanted to create things , and now still when I need to write something on an official paper as for my house in England for example, I write musician, and it always makes me feel ill at ease, I don't like to say I'm a musician , I don't feel like a musician.

Journalist : What do you say then? Creator? Creative?

Mika: No, I write musician but yes, I'd like to write creator orsomething like artist in a sense .

Journalist: Well you sure create emotions for the others, the emotions you have decided to make us feel.

Mika : So after this moment when I got my first job , I was given many others, always in classical music and I go on doing things and it helps me a lot because first I get a little money from it but it was funny because my mother had a very peculiar way to deal with it . She would never let me earn too much money. So for example each time I was making a commercial and I had to sing , like the ad for bubble gum or for British Airways (I was the voice singing in the background), she didn't ask for money, she didn't ask for me to get paid , she asked time in the studio instead so I could record my demos. So I never had the feeling that I was earning money. I never really earned money.

Journalist: When you were young, that is.

Mika: Yes, when I was young. So when I lost my child voice, I didn't have a reaction as many would, I don't know , because I didn't have lots of money on my bank account as some child stars do. I didn't have that feeling when I was fifteen. I had no money, but I had a lot of demos and I had learned a lot. So at that time she told me to send my demos everywhere . She drove me so I arrived (I was thirteen or fourteen) with a walkman at the Warner Brothers in London .

Journalist; Yes , the Warner a huge record producer.

Mika: Yeah. I got there and I talked to the secretary .

Journalist; The receptionist.

Mika: And I told them "I 'm a singer"and they let go upstairs .

Journalist ; in the offices

Mika: yes, and each time I got in an upper office.

Journalist: Up the stairs

Mika : yes, exactly, but each time I got a letter and it was always the same answer. I got a letter that said "Thanks for all your efforts , but unfortunalely your songs are not the kind we're looking for,they are not for us".

Journalist: How did you feel with those negative answers each time ?

Mika: It's like being hit a little .

Journalist: You mean physically hurt?

Mika: Yes, it is like being hit physically.

Journalist: But it doesn't last long?

Mika: No, not long.

Journalist: Why?

Mika: I don't know , because I write another song ...

Journalist: We know what happened afterwards , you sold more than ten million albums .

Mika: Less

Journalist: Who cares anyway? What matters is that everywhere people are singing your songs , even those who weren't very nice to you during school break , they also sing your songs.

Mika: Yes, that's true.

Journalist : They do obviously.

Journalist: How do you look at your own story today?

Mika: I realise the more things change, the more they stay the same . Nothing changes. I still feel exactly the same each time I release a new single , when I'm working on a new album.

For the second album, I had totally isolated myself with a piano for five months. For the third one, I understood I had to blow up this bubble entirely .Many things happened in my family, there were lots of change,there was the accident that happened to my sister Paloma.

Journalist: Can give us Paloma news ?

Mika: About my sister Paloma? yes. What happened is that she fell through a window , but now it is totally incredible, almost her whole body was reconstructed from down her stomack and now she can walk 10 to 20 meters without crutches now. Considering the accident she had it is a total miracle. She might have died or remain paralysed but she can walk now.

Journalist: In one sentence what do you want to tell the people who are listening to us who have dreams and sometimes stop themselves after the first obstacle? What did life tecah you about making dreams come true? What would you want to say to them?

Mika: I don't know. I think it's ok to be down , it's ok to have ups and downs , The thing is if your dreams are based on something you want to create with your hands or with our heads, it is clear that those dreams will always come back . Even they don't come back for a year or two, after that they will come back and in those dreams you find inspiration and the power to have physically the ablility to win over all the ennemies you have in the world. So it clearly comes from dreams, from talent, from the secrets we have in our heads.

Journalist: Thank you, thank you very much Mika .Those will be the last words of this radio show that lasted two years. We have heard many artists telling us their story here.

Mika: That's wonderful, I'm very happy to be here,I mean it is not wonderful that you stop this show , but to be here.

Journalist : Those two years were fantastic and the artists who came here had inspiring stories because a hundred per cent of them have been able to make their dream come true. I hope they inspired many people. Thanks for sharing so generously your story with us. We'll keep on following you. The Origin Of Love is the name of the album. It is Mika's third album. It will be out , well when school is back.

Mika:Yes

Journalist: We don't want to put too much pressure on you . Celebrate is the new title you will hear on RFM.

I would like to thank the people who helped me prepare this program, Sabine Rocherueil, thanks to whom Mika is here now for real in front of me, and also all the artists who came here (then he thanks all the people in his radio team) .

Crazyaboutmika, thanks once again for all your hard work with the translations!

You are a star...

and you are golden!!

Really interesting interview. Thanks for links and translations, girls! :flowers2:

At that point it is clear for you, you have understood that you want to be a musician, that you want to write songs.

Mika: I'll tell you what. I didn't want to be a musician, I didn't feel as a musician.

Journalist: singer?

Mika: No, not even a singer, I wanted to create things, and now still when I need to write something on an official paper as for my house in England for example, I write musician, and it always makes me feel ill at ease, I don't like to say I'm a musician, I don't feel like a musician.

Journalist: What do you say then? Creator? Creative?

Mika: No, I write musician but yes, I'd like to write creator or something like artist in a sense.

Journalist: Well you sure create emotions for the others, the emotions you have decided to make us feel.

Loved this bit, among many others. That's exactly how I see him... :wub2:

I'm uploading the whole interview as one single file on mikatube and soundcloud, but it's taking a while

Here it is:

mikatube is still uploading, will post it later, I made a mistake and I had to upload it again :doh:

Edited by mari62

Translation for Part 1

J : My last guest on this show is someone I was dreaming of meeting, so it's the first time we meet today, I'm intimidated. We could say that he is the incarnation of what I wanted to tell in this radio programme because he was a big dreamer, life has not been easy for him and today he is a worldwide popstar. Mika is our guest, hello.

M : Hello.

J : I was just saying that I'm very intimidated, I don't know why actually

M : That's not true

J : Maybe because of your precociousness

M : Not at all

J : How old are you? 28?

M : I'm 28.

J : Almost 10 million albums sold, I don't know how you feel it, live with it, talk about it... You got several awards in different places, it's a record, we'll see how you experienced this, and the second title that precedes your album release is just out now, it's called Celebrate.

M: Exactly

J : Our radio station director has just greeted you telling you 'you've just brought us the next hit', what does it feel like to hear things that sound so obvious to them, as if it was normal and natural?

M : It's not obvious at all, not obvious at all... It's a challenge each time and it makes me so nervous.

J : What do you feel like when you present a new song to the audience who loves what you do so much? There's a lot of expectation, are you scared to disappoint them or in fact are you confident and you know that people like what you do?

M : It's a mix of a lot of feelings. First of all when I'm composing in the studio, there is no concept of singles or hits or marketing, there's nothing. We are in the studio, making music. Music to dance, to cry; or music to dance and to cry at the same time. That's the biggest rule. I only work with people who really want to enter a world and lose themselves in it. We become old men, little girls, we become everything. Then it changes when we come and present something finished, mixed, and we hear it on the radio. First of all it gives me a buzz but at the same time it clearly makes me nervous. It's the same thing each time.

J : And when you are creating Celebrate, that we will hear a lot on the radio, what do you want to convey at the time for this particular song?

M : In the song? In the writing?

J : Yes when you make us listen to it, we can give you our feelings about it, but what is it that YOU want to convey?

M : I'd like people to feel what I felt like when writing the song.

J : That is to say?

M : It's a kind of... how do we say 'relief'? It's like a sort of relief; I wrote this song and it's about a sad time, a break-up, and I'm saying 'even if I'm completely miserable, I'm going to have everbody around me celebrating and you'll look at me, and I'll look at you, there will be a party all around us, and you'll see that it's ok, that I'm not completely lost.' And it gives confidence. I'd like this mix of sadness and joy to be conveyed through the song.

J : You've just told us what you had in your heart and mind when you created this song, I can tell you that when we hear it, like a lot of your songs, we love them instantly. It's very comforting, we don't know why, it puts us in a good mood.

M : Cool.

J : I love when you say we can cry while dancing

M : It's very Lebanese. It's war, it's tragedy, we are happy, we are sad, but we go on, they are always on the table dancing, singing, screaming, crying all at the same time.

J : I'd like to talk about your origins. You were born in Lebanon, but you quickly settled down in France, with your family. There were 5 children.

M : Yes we are 5 children, I'm in the middle.

J : And so that we can imagine the little child that you were in this family, before talking about something that happened when you were 8 with the war in Koweit, what kind of boy were you in this family?

M : Completely free. We were living in a very posh district, in the 16th Arrondissement, my father was a banker and had a great job and my mother was an artist, making children clothes. My mother was very bohemian and my father adored this, he really wanted to be an architect or an artist, and in order to earn money as he had babies when he was very young, he got a good job. He was kind of a genius, he went to the university when he was 16, he speaks 6 languages, he got a bank job only to earn money. So we were living in the 16th, everybody called us 'the Gypsies from the 16th' because we were breaking all the rules, we had flags hanging at the window to celebrate holidays that didn't exist, we had a rope from the 3rd floor where we had our flat, we were living at the Square Lamartine, so we had a rope to the garden there in the Square.

J : Whose idea was it?

M : My sisters' and mine. We were celebrating all the time. The flat was like an imaginative box. We used to put baskets and throw things into them

J : You created your own fantasy world.

M : Completely.

Translation for Part 1

J : My last guest on this show is someone I was dreaming of meeting, so it's the first time we meet today, I'm intimidated. We could say that he is the incarnation of what I wanted to tell in this radio programme because he was a big dreamer, life has not been easy for him and today he is a worldwide popstar. Mika is our guest, hello.

M : Hello.

J : I was just saying that I'm very intimidated, I don't know why actually

M : That's not true

J : Maybe because of your precociousness

M : Not at all

J : How old are you? 28?

M : I'm 28.

J : Almost 10 million albums sold, I don't know how you feel it, live with it, talk about it... You got several awards in different places, it's a record, we'll see how you experienced this, and the second title that precedes your album release is just out now, it's called Celebrate.

M: Exactly

J : Our radio station director has just greeted you telling you 'you've just brought us the next hit', what does it feel like to hear things that sound so obvious to them, as if it was normal and natural?

M : It's not obvious at all, not obvious at all... It's a challenge each time and it makes me so nervous.

J : What do you feel like when you present a new song to the audience who loves what you do so much? There's a lot of expectation, are you scared to disappoint them or in fact are you confident and you know that people like what you do?

M : It's a mix of a lot of feelings. First of all when I'm composing in the studio, there is no concept of singles or hits or marketing, there's nothing. We are in the studio, making music. Music to dance, to cry; or music to dance and to cry at the same time. That's the biggest rule. I only work with people who really want to enter a world and lose themselves in it. We become old men, little girls, we become everything. Then it changes when we come and present something finished, mixed, and we hear it on the radio. First of all it gives me a buzz but at the same time it clearly makes me nervous. It's the same thing each time.

J : And when you are creating Celebrate, that we will hear a lot on the radio, what do you want to convey at the time for this particular song?

M : In the song? In the writing?

J : Yes when you make us listen to it, we can give you our feelings about it, but what is it that YOU want to convey?

M : It's a kind of... how do we say 'relief'? It's like a sort of relief; I wrote this song and it's about a sad time, a break-up, and I'm saying 'even if I'm completely miserable, I'm going to have everbody around me celebrating and you'll look at me, and I'll look at you, there will be a party all around us, and you'll see that it's ok, that I'm not completely lost.' And it gives confidence. I'd like this mix of sadness and joy to be conveyed through the song.

J : You've just told us what you had in your heart and mind when you created this song, I can tell you that when we hear it, like a lot of your songs, we love them instantly. It's very comforting, we don't know why, it puts us in a good mood.

M : It's very Lebanese. It's war, it's tragedy, we are happy, we are sad, but we go on, they are always on the table dancing, singing, screaming, crying all at the same time.

J : I'd like to talk about your origins. You were born in Lebanon, but you quickly settled down in France, with your family. There were 5 children.

M : Yes we are 5 children, I'm in the middle.

J : And so that we can imagine the little child that you were in this family, before talking about something that happened when you were 8 with the war in Koweit, what kind of boy were you in this family?

M : Completely free. We were living in a very posh district, in the 16th Arrondissement, my father was a banker and had a great job and my mother was an artist, making children clothes. My mother was very bohemian and my father adored this, he really wanted to be an architect or an artist, and in order to earn money as he had babies when he was very young, he got a good job. He was kind of a genius, he went to the university when he was 16, he speaks 6 languages, he got a bank job only to earn money. So we were living in the 16th, everybody called us 'the Gypsies from the 16th' because we were breaking all the rules, we had flags hanging at the window to celebrate holidays that didn't exist, we had a rope from the 3rd floor where we had our flat, we were living at the Square Lamartine, so we had a rope to the garden there in the Square.

J : Whose idea was it?

M : My sisters' and mine. We were celebrating all the time. The flat was like an imaginative box. We used to put baskets and throw things into them

J : You created your own fantasy world.

M : Completely.

Thank you Camille :huglove:

For some reason I can't hear the French interview atm so I'm really happy to read the translation and find out what Mika said :wink2:

Translation for Part 1

@ camille* :flowers2: Thanks a lot for the translations !!

This interview is very very interesting !! :wub2:

Links to listen to + download + translation all together :wink2:

Edited by mari62
grammar