Mika on RFM radio France this evening - June 25 2012

Mikabéa

Oh my God, this is so fantastic. I mean, to read him telling much more about his life, not the story itself, of course. :blush-anim-cl:

It's not only a school thing. My boss tells me off all the time nowadays. Thankfully I'm old enough to tell her off back. :aah:

Thanks for posting and translating, guys!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:naughty:Here is just a quick summary for all of you who cannot wait for crazyabout Mika's translation ...

Mika was out of school and his mother wanted him to learn music. She hired a Russian singer whose son has become a great mathematician. Mika hated those lessons which lasted first 30 minutes: he could not read music and she was very strict. But he could sing very well and was able to play the piano by ear. Then lessons lasted 1 hour and in the end, 2 hours and a half (singing+piano).

Mika's mum found a Catholic school near their home. There were 70 boys in this school. Mrs Penniman explained to the headmaster that her son could not read or speak English very well but he could sing and they were very Catholic. Mika started school and passed an opera audition when he was 10/11.

Please please try :huglove:

I did the first half last night , I'll do the second one this afternoon when my husband's at work

Journalist: Hello , I'm happy to be with you and Mika for the last interview of this season. This is a dream come true for me. Mika, you've been with us since Monday. Hello Mika

Mika: Hi

Journalist: Mika, let me remind everyone that you have a new single out which is called Celebrate which is aired on many radios

We are talking about your fascinating story Mika.Yesterday you were telling us how one of your teachers was mistreating you . And after that you didn't go to school for five months

and your mother tried to find a solution for her child who didn't talk and didn't write anymore and she has a genius idea to make you attend singing lessons, is that right?

Mika: Those were music lessons . At that time I alread wrote songs and played the piano but in a very basic way. So my mother found a russian lady's ad about piano lessons and she took me there. She had been an opera singer in Moscow. She was very proud. She had very styled hair and she was dressed as is she had lived in the past.

Journalist: She had her own universe, her own world.

Mika: Exactly. She was very tough as she was russian, so strict , so tough. She tried to teach me the piano and she realises it is impossible for me to read the music. Her son is a genius , one of the best matematicians in the world and also an amazing pianist. She was used to people who could read music as her son. But she found out each time she was playing something to show her son, I was singing it , and after I had sang it, I was able to play it on the piano. So she said "what are we doing, why am I teaching youthe piano, you have a wonderful voice, so I'll give you singing lessons"

When she had started her classes the piano lesson lasted thirty minutes ,then they were singing lessons and lasted an hour, three weeks later an hour and a half and after two months, two hours and a half. Two hours and a half singing lessons twice a week, then three times a week.

Journalist: How did you feel at that point?

Mika: I was only starting to sing but then she talked with my mother and my mother was always watching evrything and since it was six months since I hadn't gone to school, she decided it was time that I started singing . But I truly hated every second of those singing lessons, I hated singing , I hated the piano, but I liked the universe of theatre , this world of lights

I'll translate and post the rest this afternoon when the babies nap and my husband's at work :teehee:

I did the first half last night , I'll do the second one this afternoon when my husband's at work

Journalist: Hello , I'm happy to be with you and Mika for the last interview of this season. This is a dream come true for me. Mika, you've been with us since Monday. Hello Mika

Journalist: Mika, let me remind everyone that you have a new single out which is called Celebrate which is aired on many radios

We are talking about your fascinating story Mika.Yesterday you were telling us how one of your teachers was mistreating you . And after that you didn't go to school for five months

and your mother tried to find a solution for her child who didn't talk and didn't write anymore and she has a genius idea to make you attend singing lessons, is that right?

Mika: Those were music lessons . At that time I alread wrote songs and played the piano but in a very basic way. So my mother found a russian lady's ad about piano lessons and she took me there. She had been an opera singer in Moscow. She was very proud. She had very styled hair and she was dressed as is she had lived in the past.

Mika: Exactly. She was very tough as she was russian, so strict , so tough. She tried to teach me the piano and she realises it is impossible for me to read the music. Her son is a genius , one of the best matematicians in the world and also an amazing pianist. She was used to people who could read music as her son. But she found out each time she was playing something to show her son, I was singing it , and after I had sang it, I was able to play it on the piano. So she said "what are we doing, why am I teaching youthe piano, you have a wonderful voice, so I'll give you singing lessons"

When she had started her classes the piano lesson lasted thirty minutes ,then they were singing lessons and lasted an hour, three weeks later an hour and a half and after two months, two hours and a half. Two hours and a half singing lessons twice a week, then three times a week.

Mika: I was only starting to sing but then she talked with my mother and my mother was always watching evrything and since it was six months since I hadn't gone to school, she decided it was time that I started singing . But I truly hated every second of those singing lessons, I hated singing , I hated the piano, but I liked the universe of theatre , this world of lights

I'll translate and post the rest this afternoon when the babies nap and my husband's at work :teehee:

Crazyaboutmika, thank you so much for translating It's a brilliant interview.

Thanks Anne and the other MFCers for the translations :flowers2: It's amazing to know all these details about his life :wub2:

Mika's mum found a Catholic school near their home. There were 70 boys in this school. Mrs Penniman explained to the headmaster that her son could not read or speak English very well but he could sing and they were very Catholic. Mika started school and passed an opera audition when he was 10/11.

Thank you :huglove:

Was his first language French then?

Thank you :huglove:

Was his first language French then?

I don´t think so... I think she means that he became dislexic, so he has troubles to write and stuff.

Anyway... Mika loves to do Gertrude stories, you know? :mf_rosetinted:

Thank you Anne for the trasnlation :huglove:

Full translation of part four now :wub2:

Mika: Hi .

Journalist: Mika, let me remind everyone that you have a new single out which is called Celebrate which is aired on many radios.

Mika: I was only starting to sing but then she talked with my mother and my mother was always watching everything and since it was six months since I hadn't gone to school, she decided it was time that I started singing . But I truly hated every second of those singing lessons, I hated singing , I hated the piano, but I liked the universe of theatre , this world of lights , I liked the word of theater . I auditioned for a part , I didn't know what I was going to do and they take me to a place so I sing there. I start singing, they are looking at me .

At that point my mother had found a small school for me and she made me sing there and she said to them, he can not speak English, or just a little , he doesn't know how to write, he has many problems but he can sing. So I start to sing and the interview becomes a long concert with me singing and the headmaster of the school looks at me and he says "Ok, but we're a catholic school. Are you catholics?" and my mother says " Yes, of course we are totally catholic, we are very catholic"

So we become very catholic and I find myself in this very small school which was very catholic and at about the same period (two weeks later) I get my first job dans un opéra de Strauss "Die Frau ohne Schatten "The woman without a shadow" . The maestro (sorry I didn't get his name) was directing this opera , he is dead now he is a legend and the home stage was made by David Hockney.

Journalist: What did you do in it ? Did you sing?

Mika: Yes , I sang in the choir of The Royal Opera of London . It was my very first job.

Journalist: How old were you then?

Mika: I was ten or eleven. I was young and it was the very first time I was on a stage. And I am on The Royal Opera stage and I see all the red and all the gold and something happened to me instantly. Now I know what it is called , it is called the red and gold syndrom.

Journalist: Which means?

Mika: Cocteau invented this sentence ; he says that at some point when someone enters in a theater, in a box with windows which is totally dedicated to creating illusion , to move you into another universe and to turn reality into something else similar to art and if you become addicted to that feeling , you have the red and gold syndrom.

Journalist: I had never heard about this, Mika. It is lovely .

Mika: And Cocteau was a victim of this syndrom himself. He loved all this which explains a bit more why Cocteau wanted to write and draw and make movies, anything , he felt that way because it was based on his addiction to turning reality into art.

Journalist: Now we are going to speed up your story a little . You then became addicted to the world of entertainment and creation, right?

Mika: I don't know if I understood it then . But I understood it was not only torture. You could actually find a reward to it. The reward for all the torture my russian teacher made me go through because she hit me when I was making mistakes.

Journalist: How do you feel about this reward that is so addictive when you are in this theater?

Mika: I feel as if I have finally found my place. I feel I have found my power. I feel as if I am in a boxing court and I can't win everytime, but I have the possibility to win , a feelng I had never felt before.

Journalist: That is beautiful and it will be the last word for tonight because we will continue your story tomorrow at 7 M. You are impatient (to tell it) , but so are we ( to hear it ).

Journalist: See you tomorrow at 7 PM with Mika who is telling us his story with so many details and so much emotion and tomorrow you will understand that many things happened to him and especially when he sent his music to the producers . There were no immediate responses , to put it that way , so it'll give hope to all those who are listening to us and who want to make their dreams come true . You'll hear Mika again tomorrow at 7 PM

Nota Bene: I believe Mika made a mistake because I always associated this syndrom with not Cocteau , but Stendhal . (sorry Mika)

Read the link here for more about this syndrom :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stendhal_syndrome

I don´t think so... I think she means that he became dislexic, so he has troubles to write and stuff.

Anyway... Mika loves to do Gertrude stories, you know? :mf_rosetinted:

:naughty:

I feel I have found my power. I feel as if I am in a boxing court

I'm sure he knows that feeling well. :teehee:

Don,t know if it was his first language, but it was the one he used as a child:wink2:

Ah okay. :thumb_yello:

Thank Anne for the translation! :huglove:

Don,t know if it was his first language, but it was the one he used as a child:wink2:

He also said he stopped speaking and writing at his French school so who knows what he's talking about :aah:

I don't think these are Gertrude stories exactly but some details don't really make a lot of sense and I can imagine there are some muddled memories combined with his family's version of events that he's heard throughout the years. I certainly don't remember so much about being 9 years old.

In particular I don't understand how he could have been perfectly functional in reading and writing and then developed lifelong dyslexia and cannot read sheet music because of a psychological trauma. And let's face it, although it must have been a horrible experience for him, children have suffered through far worse - wars, kidnapping, non-stop sexual and physical abuse, etc. I mean he must have had some kind of learning disability before or something else brought it on, rather than being mistreated by a teacher. Maybe his school in Paris was more laissez faire and his problems weren't evident until they tried to jam him into a round hole so-to-speak in the London school.

Anyway it's interesting to hear his memories and perceptions about it.

Thank you Marina ! :thumb_yello:

This time' date=' I was there :teehee:

I hope we'll get the part 1, someone on twitter who visibly works with/for told that the integrality will be on podcast on their website :wink2:[/quote']:teehee::naughty:

great, thanks! looking forward to part 1 :thumb_yello:

Full translation of part four now :wub2:

Mika: Hi .

Journalist: Mika, let me remind everyone that you have a new single out which is called Celebrate which is aired on many radios.

Mika: I was only starting to sing but then she talked with my mother and my mother was always watching everything and since it was six months since I hadn't gone to school, she decided it was time that I started singing . But I truly hated every second of those singing lessons, I hated singing , I hated the piano, but I liked the universe of theatre , this world of lights , I liked the word of theater . I auditioned for a part , I didn't know what I was going to do and they take me to a place so I sing there. I start singing, they are looking at me .

At that point my mother had found a small school for me and she made me sing there and she said to them, he can not speak English, or just a little , he doesn't know how to write, he has many problems but he can sing. So I start to sing and the interview becomes a long concert with me singing and the headmaster of the school looks at me and he says "Ok, but we're a catholic school. Are you catholics?" and my mother says " Yes, of course we are totally catholic, we are very catholic"

So we become very catholic and I find myself in this very small school which was very catholic and at about the same period (two weeks later) I get my first job dans un opéra de Strauss "Die Frau ohne Schatten "The woman without a shadow" . The maestro (sorry I didn't get his name) was directing this opera , he is dead now he is a legend and the home stage was made by David Hockney.

Journalist: What did you do in it ? Did you sing?

Mika: Yes , I sang in the choir of The Royal Opera of London . It was my very first job.

Journalist: How old were you then?

Mika: I was ten or eleven. I was young and it was the very first time I was on a stage. And I am on The Royal Opera stage and I see all the red and all the gold and something happened to me instantly. Now I know what it is called , it is called the red and gold syndrom.

Journalist: Which means?

Mika: Cocteau invented this sentence ; he says that at some point when someone enters in a theater, in a box with windows which is totally dedicated to creating illusion , to move you into another universe and to turn reality into something else similar to art and if you become addicted to that feeling , you have the red and gold syndrom.

Journalist: I had never heard about this, Mika. It is lovely .

Mika: And Cocteau was a victim of this syndrom himself. He loved all this which explains a bit more why Cocteau wanted to write and draw and make movies, anything , he felt that way because it was based on his addiction to turning reality into art.

Journalist: Now we are going to speed up your story a little . You then became addicted to the world of entertainment and creation, right?

Mika: I don't know if I understood it then . But I understood it was not only torture. You could actually find a reward to it. The reward for all the torture my russian teacher made me go through because she hit me when I was making mistakes.

Journalist: How do you feel about this reward that is so addictive when you are in this theater?

Mika: I feel as if I have finally found my place. I feel I have found my power. I feel as if I am in a boxing court and I can't win everytime, but I have the possibility to win , a feelng I had never felt before.

Journalist: That is beautiful and it will be the last word for tonight because we will continue your story tomorrow at 7 M. You are impatient (to tell it) , but so are we ( to hear it ).

Journalist: See you tomorrow at 7 PM with Mika who is telling us his story with so many details and so much emotion and tomorrow you will understand that many things happened to him and especially when he sent his music to the producers . There were no immediate responses , to put it that way , so it'll give hope to all those who are listening to us and who want to make their dreams come true . You'll hear Mika again tomorrow at 7 PM

Nota Bene: I believe Mika made a mistake because I always associated this syndrom with not Cocteau , but Stendhal . (sorry Mika)

Read the link here for more about this syndrom :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stendhal_syndrome

I do not understand ... He wants to say that they pretended they are very Catholic sake enrollment in this Catholic school , but in fact it was not so? He prepares the place for the retreat?

Thank you so much Marina, I missed it too, I was very busy as we have to leave to go to a family birthday party this week end. I'll listen now and I'll do my best to translate and post it tonight as I'll be netless this week end :(

Thanks for the translation :flowers2:

I love reading these, about his childhood and school memories and experiencing art. It explains a lot. I have always loved watching him doing different things and it's good to hear him talking about it (about loving theater, moving to another world etc). Fascinating :wub2:

But some of his school time memories sound so difficult. Makes me almost cry to think about it. Having children that age probably makes me even more sensitive for those issues.

He also said he stopped speaking and writing at his French school so who knows what he's talking about :aah:.

I think his mum claiming that he could speak little English was a way to explain to that school all the problems he had but reassuring them that it was not the case of him being 'dumb' - basically, trying to prove they should take him.

Sorry for being so late in posting this here, someone needs to be locked into MFC attic again :sneaky2:

Here is the last part (part five) of Mika's RFM interview in English:

Journalist: very happy to be with you during this last week before the holidays and very happy to be with Mika who has just released a new song. Your new single is called Celebrate that you can hear on RFM and everywhere else . Mika, I was impatient to contnue the interview and so were you yesterday.

Mika: Yes, ten minutes is a very short time to tell everything.

Journalist: We were talking about this little boy who was , how old did you say?

Mika: Eleven, I was eleven.

Journalist : And at the age of eleven you became addicted to the red and gold during your first time on stage .

Mika: Yes.

Journalist: And you feel you have found your place in this world , after a childhoood when you felt totally different and that's an euphemism to put it that way, it's nothing compared to what you really had to go through . We need to speed up things a little , at that point it is clear for you , you have understood that you want to be a musician , that you want to write songs.

Mika: I'll tell you what. I didn't want to be a musician, I didn't feel as a musician.

Journalist : singer?

Mika: No, not even a singer, I wanted to create things , and now still when I need to write something on an official paper as for my house in England for example, I write musician, and it always makes me feel ill at ease, I don't like to say I'm a musician , I don't feel like a musician.

Journalist : What do you say then? Creator? Creative?

Mika: No, I write musician but yes, I'd like to write creator orsomething like artist in a sense .

Journalist: Well you sure create emotions for the others, the emotions you have decided to make us feel.

Mika : So after this moment when I got my first job , I was given many others, always in classical music and I go on doing things and it helps me a lot because first I get a little money from it but it was funny because my mother had a very peculiar way to deal with it . She would never let me earn too much money. So for example each time I was making a commercial and I had to sing , like the ad for bubble gum or for British Airways (I was the voice singing in the background), she didn't ask for money, she didn't ask for me to get paid , she asked time in the studio instead so I could record my demos. So I never had the feeling that I was earning money. I never really earned money.

Journalist: When you were young, that is.

Mika: Yes, when I was young. So when I lost my child voice, I didn't have a reaction as many would, I don't know , because I didn't have lots of money on my bank account as some child stars do. I didn't have that feeling when I was fifteen. I had no money, but I had a lot of demos and I had learned a lot. So at that time she told me to send my demos everywhere . She drove me so I arrived (I was thirteen or fourteen) with a walkman at the Warner Brothers in London .

Journalist; Yes , the Warner a huge record producer.

Mika: Yeah. I got there and I talked to the secretary .

Journalist; The receptionist.

Mika: And I told them "I 'm a singer"and they let go upstairs .

Journalist ; in the offices

Mika: yes, and each time I got in an upper office.

Journalist: Up the stairs

Mika : yes, exactly, but each time I got a letter and it was always the same answer. I got a letter that said "Thanks for all your efforts , but unfortunalely your songs are not the kind we're looking for,they are not for us".

Journalist: How did you feel with those negative answers each time ?

Mika: It's like being hit a little .

Journalist: You mean physically hurt?

Mika: Yes, it is like being hit physically.

Journalist: But it doesn't last long?

Mika: No, not long.

Journalist: Why?

Mika: I don't know , because I write another song ...

Journalist: We know what happened afterwards , you sold more than ten million albums .

Mika: Less

Journalist: Who cares anyway? What matters is that everywhere people are singing your songs , even those who weren't very nice to you during school break , they also sing your songs.

Mika: Yes, that's true.

Journalist : They do obviously.

Journalist: How do you look at your own story today?

Mika: I realise the more things change, the more they stay the same . Nothing changes. I still feel exactly the same each time I release a new single , when I'm working on a new album.

For the second album, I had totally isolated myself with a piano for five months. For the third one, I understood I had to blow up this bubble entirely .Many things happened in my family, there were lots of change,there was the accident that happened to my sister Paloma.

Journalist: Can give us Paloma news ?

Mika: About my sister Paloma? yes. What happened is that she fell through a window , but now it is totally incredible, almost her whole body was reconstructed from down her stomack and now she can walk 10 to 20 meters without crutches now. Considering the accident she had it is a total miracle. She might have died or remain paralysed but she can walk now.

Journalist: In one sentence what do you want to tell the people who are listening to us who have dreams and sometimes stop themselves after the first obstacle? What did life tecah you about making dreams come true? What would you want to say to them?

Mika: I don't know. I think it's ok to be down , it's ok to have ups and downs , The thing is if your dreams are based on something you want to create with your hands or with our heads, it is clear that those dreams will always come back . Even they don't come back for a year or two, after that they will come back and in those dreams you find inspiration and the power to have physically the ablility to win over all the ennemies you have in the world. So it clearly comes from dreams, from talent, from the secrets we have in our heads.

Journalist: Thank you, thank you very much Mika .Those will be the last words of this radio show that lasted two years. We have heard many artists telling us their story here.

Mika: That's wonderful, I'm very happy to be here,I mean it is not wonderful that you stop this show , but to be here.

Journalist : Those two years were fantastic and the artists who came here had inspiring stories because a hundred per cent of them have been able to make their dream come true. I hope they inspired many people. Thanks for sharing so generously your story with us. We'll keep on following you. The Origin Of Love is the name of the album. It is Mika's third album. It will be out , well when school is back.

Mika:Yes

Journalist: We don't want to put too much pressure on you . Celebrate is the new title you will hear on RFM.

I would like to thank the people who helped me prepare this program, Sabine Rocherueil, thanks to whom Mika is here now for real in front of me, and also all the artists who came here (then he thanks all the people in his radio team) .

Edited by crazyaboutmika