Mika on 66 Minutes - M6 (16/09/2012)

Lucrezia

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the first part of the translation, about one third so far.

Mika's back and will release his third album tomorrrow, "The Origin of Love"

29 years old, one of the most amazing pop voices, fluent both in French and English , the singer let us visit him at home, we followed him in his daily life and his rehearsals. Here is the portrait of a young man who is always surrounded by his family , "Mika, the little prince"

It is July, two steps from the beach in Nice . Mika is warming up his voice for tonight's gig. Mika is 29 and he still looks like a teenager. And his sister is never very far from him. Mika's success is a family success first. His sister Yasmine is taing care of the stage sets. Today she had a very disturbing idea .

(Mika and Yasmine argue in English as to where to put the flags )

In this bilingual family it's either French or English to tease one another.

Mika "I'm trying to avoid the bull**** of my sister Yasmina. For example, putting flags all around me on stage like that, so I won't be able to move. Tonight those flags hat she made with mylittle sister , my mother and her friends are the stars for her."

But the star is really him. He's been making the crowds run for five years now .

(Relax, take it easy vid)

A high pitched voice , a music that mixes pop and disco

(Lollipop vid).

And in his vids colors and looks reminiscent of the sixties

(Big girl-you are beautiful video)

An amazing destiny for this young man who conquered the planet after having lots of difficulties to leave the family fold. He was born in Beirut, Lebanon amid minarets and steeples. Mika's real name is Michael Hoolbrook Penniman .he is the son of an American diplomat and of a Lebanese francophone mother. With his brother and his three sisters he is raise up in a well off family . When he is one, his family leaves Lebanon because of the civil war and move to europe, eight years in Paris first, then in London . It's hard for him to fit in school. He is dyslexic and he is bullied in London which is calvary for him. Soon he leaves school and he launches headlong into his passion, music and particularly opera. Later the tune of seville's barber will inspire him his first success.

Mika: "It started almost as a joke , I took the melody of the barber of Seville, I started with this" (he plays it on the piano)

(Grace Kelly video)

In this video he is twenty four but his mum is always there (here in a blue dress)

Mika can't seem to be able to separate from his mum.

He is twenty nine and he just left the family house to live in Chelsea, an exclusive area of central London. He bought a mansion where he lives by himself, worth more than five million euros. He spends most of his time listening to musics that inspire him. Since his parisian childhood he is a big fan of the singer Barbara. Barbara's voice is like a lighthousethat directs all the musicians.

A part of the 66 Minutes

Morandini Zap: La mère de Mika fabrique les costumes du chanteur (Mika's mother makes costumes for the singer)

http://www.wat.tv/video/morandini-zap-maman-mika-fait-59dar_2exyv_.html

Hier, M6 diffusait le magazine "66 minutes" présenté par Xavier De Moulins. Parmi les reportages diffusés dans l'émission, un était consacré à Mika.

Le chanteur qui sort son nouvel album "The Origin of Love" explique aux journalistes que c'est sa mère qui fabrique ses costumes pour la scène.

:edit:

DOWNLOAD LINK by Marina.

I uploaded the file on YouTube.

( sorry, this video is blocked in some countries... again :annoyed_h4h:)

[YOUTUBE]i22MQ10bfJE[/YOUTUBE]

Part 2 of the translation ;)

Part 2

She is the captain. But he has been influenced by various eclectic musics.

Mika: "For me it is totally natural to mix this with that" Keanu West and Barbara for me ae the same. A mix that can seem surprising but the young man isn't afraid to display strange tastes. For example in his office he keeps dead animals.

Mika: some people hate those, but I find them extremelybeautiful. For example this is a vampire bat . it is incredible when you think that this is totally natural and totally macabre. It makes me smile because the skeleleton is even laughing, even in death it is making fun of us. And I find that great!

His best expression of his singular universe is music of course.

This afternoon he is going to the studio to work on his new album, but he isn't feeling very well.

Mika: Today I am stressed because my voice isn't right. I'm getting nervous, everybody is laughing at me because I am so hypochondriac. I'm saying all the time that I'm about to lose my voice and that I will have to cancel a show. This is an imaginary desease. I'm a Molière character.

It is in the mythical studios of the BBc that he is rehearsing and the Britsih television did him a favor. He get to rent this huge space for only 600 euros, a pittance.

Mika doesn't only sing, he composes his own songs and he accepted to reveal to us the making of his next hits, for example the song Karen which was directly written into French.

I look for simple melodies and harmonies . It was only that at the begining and when I like it and it is clear, kind of like a wheel that turns, with Dorian, the lyricist we undertstood the wheel should never stop. So we found the rythm in the lyrics .

(He sings the begining of Karen accoustic)

During his next tour, Mika will direct a new group of musicians.

Part 3

They just started playing for him and he's testing them with his older songs.

He sits a bit further to observe them better and he looks pleased.

(The musicians are asked what it's like to work for Mika and they joke about being starved and badly treated -That part is in English)

Mika composes his music, writes his lyrics and he is also a conductor.

"Now we need to repeat the vocals with joy for Celebrate, that's the most important thing right now" (Mika says it in English)

Joy his new chorister will now have to show what she can do.

On stage she will sing a verse of Mika's new song and she isn't totally ready yet, so he willl make her repeat the same part until he gets the sounds he needs.

After fifteen minutes of work Mika is happy with her vocals.

The rehearsals are one of the rare moments when his invasive family doesn't intervene.

But as soon as the musical work is over, here they come. Mika's sister has come to help her mum who is bringing Mika's new stage suits . Since the begining of Mika's carreer , his mother who is a seamstress works for him. Once again Mika is in charge, he choses the clothes style and his mother makes them. He gave up on jeans and colorful t-shirt for a twenties dandy style.

Mika: I loved this style with socks that go up to the knees and the short trousers and I thought it would be cool to make something like that. So we're trying and if we fail, we try again. it's always a bit like that.

His mother is worried, she is always afraid to disappoint her son.

Journalist: Do you feel stressed the first time you check if the clothes are ok;

MrsP : Yes, a huge stress, especially this time as I didn't know them at all. We had to make all their clothes without even having seen them so ...

Journalist: Are you waiting for their reactions now?

Mrs P. Yes , I hope the clothes will fit.

Mika isn't so happy "This is going to be too hot to wear in the summer" and his sister will know it right away.

Journalist: Is it easy to work with your brother.

Yes, it's ok. I'm used to it. He understands me and I understand him. So it works well.

A month later in Nice the costumes are ready.

A few minutes before the concert a little warm up with the musicians. Tonight it is only the sixth time they are on stage together and they need to get close and work as a team.

Inside the concert room the fans are getting impatient . it's time to get on stage but Mika is'n't totally ready. He needs the last kiss from his mum indispensable before the begining of the show. He gets a hug from his sister of course , but that's not enough to calm his tract.

Mika :Where's mum?

Never mind, it's time to go.

During two hours the singer will give everything.

At the end of the concert he is boosted.

Mika needs to keep some strenght because next month he will start a world tour.

There are some dialogues in English that I didn't include.

The journalist and Mika' s musicians. He asks them how it is to work with Mika and they answer he is a despot and they have lost weight because he starves them.

Mika and his sister when he is telling her that the clothes are not as he needs them to be. (they will be too hot to be worn on stage in summer)

Full translation

29 years old, one of the most amazing pop voices, fluent both in French and English , the singer let us visit him at home, we followed him in his daily life and his rehearsals. Here is the portrait of a young man who is always surrounded by his family , "Mika, the little prince"

It is July, two steps from the beach in Nice . Mika is warming up his voice for tonight's gig. Mika is 29 and he still looks like a teenager. And his sister is never very far from him. Mika's success is a family success first. His sister Yasmine is taing care of the stage sets. Today she had a very disturbing idea .

Mika "I'm trying to avoid the bull**** of my sister Yasmina. For example, putting flags all around me on stage like that, so I won't be able to move. Tonight those flags hat she made with mylittle sister , my mother and her friends are the stars for her."

But the star is really him. He's been making the crowds run for five years now .

(Lollipop vid).

An amazing destiny for this young man who conquered the planet after having lots of difficulties to leave the family fold. He was born in Beirut, Lebanon amid minarets and steeples. Mika's real name is Michael Hoolbrook Penniman .he is the son of an American diplomat and of a Lebanese francophone mother. With his brother and his three sisters he is raise up in a well off family . When he is one, his family leaves Lebanon because of the civil war and move to europe, eight years in Paris first, then in London . It's hard for him to fit in school. He is dyslexic and he is bullied in London which is calvary for him. Soon he leaves school and he launches headlong into his passion, music and particularly opera. Later the tune of seville's barber will inspire him his first success.

Mika: "It started almost as a joke , I took the melody of the barber of Seville, I started with this" (he plays it on the piano)

(Grace Kelly video)

In this video he is twenty four but his mum is always there (here in a blue dress)

He is twenty nine and he just left the family house to live in Chelsea, an exclusive area of central London. He bought a mansion where he lives by himself, worth more than five million euros. He spends most of his time listening to musics that inspire him. Since his parisian childhood he is a big fan of the singer Barbara. Barbara's voice is like a lighthousethat directs all the musicians.

Part 2

Mika: "For me it is totally natural to mix this with that" Keanu West and Barbara for me ae the same. A mix that can seem surprising but the young man isn't afraid to display strange tastes. For example in his office he keeps dead animals.

Mika: some people hate those, but I find them extremelybeautiful. For example this is a vampire bat . it is incredible when you think that this is totally natural and totally macabre. It makes me smile because the skeleleton is even laughing, even in death it is making fun of us. And I find that great!

This afternoon he is going to the studio to work on his new album, but he isn't feeling very well.

Mika: Today I am stressed because my voice isn't right. I'm getting nervous, everybody is laughing at me because I am so hypochondriac. I'm saying all the time that I'm aboutto lose my voice and that I will have to cancel a show. This is an imaginary desease. I'm a Molière character.

It is in the mythical studios of the BBc that he is rehearsing and the Britsih television did him a favor. He get to rent this huge space for only 600 euros, a pittance.

Mika doesn't only sing, he composes his own songs and he accepted to reveal to us the making of his next hits, fpr example the song Karen which was directly written into French.

I look for simple melodies and harmonies . It was only that at the begining and when I like it and it is clear, kind of like a wheel that turns, with Dorian, the lyricist we undertstood the wheel should never stop. So we found the rythm in the lyrics .

(The musicians are asked what it's like to work for Mika and they joke about being starved and badly treated -That part is in English)

"Now we need to repeat the vocals with joy for Celebrate, that's the most important thing right now" (Mika says it in English)

On stage she will sing a verse of Mika's new song and she isn't totally ready yet, so he willl make her repeat the same part until he gets the sounds he needs.

The rehearsals are one of the rare moments when his invasive family doesn't intervene.

But as soon as the musical work is over, here they come. Mika's sister has come to help her mum who is bringing Mika's new stage suits . Since the begining of Mika's carreer , his mother who is a seamstress works for him. Once again Mika is in charge, he choses the clothes style and his mother makes them. He gave up on jeans and colorful t-shirt for a twenties dandy style.

Mika: I loved this style with socks that go up to the knees and the short trousers and I thought it would be cool to make something like that. So we're trying and if we fail, we try again. it's always a bit like that.

Journalist: Do you feel stressed the first time you check if the clothes are ok;

MrsP : Yes, a huge stress, especially this time as I didn't know them at all. We had to make all their clothes without even having seen them so ...

Mika isn't so happy "This is going to be too hot to wear in the summer" and his sister will know it right away.

Yes, it's ok. I'm used to it. He understands me and I understand him. So it works well.

A few minutes before the concert a little warm up with the musicians. Tonight it is only the sixth time they are on stage together and they need to get close and work as a team.

Inside the concert room the fans are getting impatient . it's time to get on stage but Mika is'n't totally ready. He needs the last kiss from his mum indispensable before the begining of the show. He gets a hug from his sister of course , but that's not enough to calm his tract.

Full translation

(Lollipop vid).

(Grace Kelly video)

Mika: Today I am stressed because my voice isn't right. I'm getting nervous, everybody is laughing at me because I am so hypochondriac. I'm saying all the time that I'm about to lose my voice and that I will have to cancel a show. This is an imaginary desease. I'm a Molière character.

Mika doesn't only sing, he composes his own songs and he accepted to reveal to us the making of his next hits, for example the song Karen which was directly written into French.

There are some dialogues in English that I didn't include.

The journalist and Mika' s musicians. He asks them how it is to work with Mika and they answer he is a despot and they have lost weight because he starves them.

Mika and his sister when he is telling her that the clothes are not as he needs them to be. (they will be too hot to be worn on stage in summer)

• 3 weeks later...

Loved the questionnaire, t4p:thumb_yello:

M6 did such a great job especially with the first reportage they showed. I think it's definitely the best video we've seen so far on this promo tour. It was really fascinating seeing the rehearsals and the backstage vids of the show in Nice. Amazing:wub2:

Loved the questionnaire, t4p:thumb_yello:

M6 did such a great job especially with the first reportage they showed. I think it's definitely the best video we've seen so far on this promo tour. It was really fascinating seeing the rehearsals and the backstage vids of the show in Nice. Amazing:wub2:

I agree it's a very good documentary, the kind that we don't get really often. I think at M6 they knew they wouldn't have the opportunity to get interviews with him live on TV in September (I can't think of any show on this channel where he could have appeared) so they chose this type of programme. For me it is really this show that kicked off the promo tour in France, being aired on the Sunday before the release. I'm already nostalgic :aah:

I agree it's a very good documentary, the kind that we don't get really often. I think at M6 they knew they wouldn't have the opportunity to get interviews with him live on TV in September (I can't think of any show on this channel where he could have appeared) so they chose this type of programme. For me it is really this show that kicked off the promo tour in France, being aired on the Sunday before the release. I'm already nostalgic :aah:

I think so too. I'm really glad they did so :wub2:

• 2 months later...

A 3 minutes apparition on 66 minutes today about the Peugeot gig in Paris

http://www.mikawebsite.com/video-m6-66-minutes-reportage-avec-mika-du-16-decembre-2012/

Thank you Mikabéa for uploading on YT!

[YOUTUBE]zMjVHk9bqHo[/YOUTUBE]

it says ''it doesn't exist''

Edited by BiaIchihara