Mika @ Gasometer, Vienna Austria: 5 November 2012 - REPORTS/PICS/VIDEOS

dcdeb

part 2:

mika was wondering about which song to start the show with, and someone of the band said to him something about trying to get the vibe of brussels and do a slow song - so they tried toy boy. mika was at the piano but forgot half of the lyrics. :teehee: i guess that's why they came up with the idea to have him and max standing together in front of the text sheet, mika needs the sheet and max pretends to be the one who needs it. :lmfao: anyway, i'm glad they didn't do toy boy as a first song, imo it's too "special", more a musical / storytelling poem than a pop song, so i think it's better they did it later. iirc they also tried grace kelly, and mika then said he wanted BIOTG as the first song, like the other times. obviously he changed his mind again though - shortly before the gig we were told he'd be doing GK first so we wouldn't be surprised, as usually it'd have been a choir song - but not if he does it as the first song. :teehee: it was fun to see how everything is so spontaneous - that surely doesn't make it easy for those who work with mika, but somehow i love it because it shows that everything is flexible and not done by the numbers the same way every night. :wub2:

at some point the band told mika they could play to him the full band version of stardust - and they did, the fast version, like on the record, and mika watched it from the audience area. us choir members were dancing like crazy, and that made mika laugh. :naughty: it sounded fab - but i also LOVE the slow version of stardust... i think if he started it slowly and then it turned into the fast dance version, it'd be perfect! :wub2:

before the show:

when the soundcheck was finished and we left the stage and walked past mika, he kinda ignored us - which was ok, he was working, but actually i generally had the feeling he wasn't in the best mood. dunno what happenend, if it was because they hadn't sold enough tickets for the show, or whatever else, but also from what he and mrs p told us after the show, i think he was in a bad mood first. that's probably also the reason for us not doing the voice warm-up thing with him, or getting instructions from him personally, like the other choirs did. when we returned to our dressing room, mark told us to be back by 8:30, that was it. ah, and our robes were waiting for us! mrs p was in the room next door, and she told us to try which robes would fit us, she had put them in our dressing room. they had sprayed them with some awfully perfumed stuff - some aerosol that hung in the air in our and mrs p's room and all around and kinda burned in my nose and throat so i had to cough, i was afraid i wouldn't be able to sing anymore. :sneaky2: well ok not really, but i didn't like it - you'd think they had time to wash them, as there was a gig-free day the day before. from what i heard from the munich choir, they got freshly washed robes the next day. though i'm surprised anyway that they can wash them - the polka dots are just green felt that is glued on the white robes, you can see the glue strokes from the other side - and at some point we found a green felt dot lying around backstage, couldn't find out who of us had lost it though. :lmfao:

anyway, when we had chosen our robes, we went outside - wanted to talk to the others to see whether the queueing went alright (we weren't sure first how many doors they'd open), but when we entered the audience area of the venue, we saw that they had just been let inside and all had their front row spots, so i guess all went well. :original: daeni and me sold our tickets for about half the price (as it wasn't sold out, we were lucky to find someone who wanted them), and we distributed some pink heart-shaped post-its in the queue, for origin of love. it was an idea i had on the gig day, as cassilda had asked on the thread whether we'd do anything, and there was a shopping center right next to the venue, i thought it'd be a lovely idea that didn't need much planning or preparing. cassilda bought 2 packs of the post-its (nearly 500 stickers altogether), and daeni and me gave one to every person in the queue, telling them to hold them up for OOL. i wasn't sure first whether you'd even see them from the stage as they weren't big... but you could indeed see them very well, and it looked lovely. :wub2: @suzie: of course we don't NEED something like that at a gig, but it's a lovely addition. if you didn't like it, you needn't have taken a post-it. :wink2:

show-time!

so at 8:30 we returned to our dressing room, waited for a bit (that was the only point of the evening when i was nervous and my stomach was aching... weirdly i didn't have any stage fright later, like i'd had for the BG/LG thing!) and then mark came, gave us the setlist and told us we could watch the first few songs from the audience and please return to the dressing room during lola. which we did, and then he led us to the other side of the stage, where we basically stayed for the rest of the gig - we couldn't see much there during the times when we weren't on stage, but a little bit was possible, depending on where mika was on the stage.

when popular started and we were on stage, mika decided he'd move us more to the front of the stage - he just took our mics and replaced them. :naughty: i don't remember too much of the show, apart from the fact that we had lots of fun, we danced a lot and were sweating so we got our water bottles from the dressing room as soon as we had some time. on stage mika came over a few times and sang to us, one or two times he motioned us to go down, and during big girl he shot us - me first, and he had to do it 2 times cause i was confused that he started that during BG and didn't fall down right away. yes i've watched it a million times already, but guess i'll have to practise the getting shot some more, i'm not good at playing dead, lol! :naughty: and during HE at one point i almost forgot the lyrics because mika was standing right in front of me, singing at me, and i looked in his huge eyes and was like :blink: huh, what did i want to sing?! :naughty:

during toy boy we stayed on stage, iirc mika quickly decided to do it before happy ending (it wasn't on the setlist)... i looked around for anyone giving us a sign to leave the stage, but no one did, so we just stayed where we were. :dunno:

oh, and we had so much space that i even had a microphone all for myself. :naughty: so it wasn't a problem looking for mika's signs, think it's harder if you're on that outside spot but have to stand with your back to mika so you can sing into one mic with someone else.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

part 3:

aftershow:

we went back to our dressing room, and the band members we met on our way told us we were great. :wub2: then we sat there and waited. must've been over an hour, maybe more, and we were wondering a few times whether mika had already left and we were the last ones in the building and maybe they'd just turn off the lights at some point and lock the doors. :lmfao: faballa suggested we'd walk around a bit but tbh i was scared we'd stand in people's way if we were walking around in the backstage area, plus i thought it'd be nicer if mika came to our lovely room to meet us all, instead of half of our group bumping into him in the neon-lighted corridor, so i decided to stay in our room, and just peeked into the corridor a few times. :naughty: mrs p in the room next to ours was still there, so we were quite sure mika was still somewhere around as well.

during our waiting times before and after the show, mrs p talked to us quite a few times, she was really lovely, asking us where we were from, whether we all knew each other, chatting a bit about vienna and munich (she had forgotten they had a gig in munich the next day and thought she had some time to do shopping in vienna :teehee:) and asking us what were our fave songs of the new album. when she picked up the robes from our dressing room after the show, she also stayed for a little chat, and she told us that it was a hard show - that's where that came from. when mika talked with us later, someone asked him whether he enjoyed the show and he said he got there - i asked why but he just said that every show is different. so no idea what was the reason, but i'm pretty sure he was in a bad mood before the show. someone later pointed out to me that mika tweeted at 4pm that he had been watching ballet dancers from his room since the morning, so if he has been sitting in his hotel room all day instead of walking around beautiful vienna, may it be because of interviews or because he didn't feel well or because he watched stuff about the US elections on CNN, or just because he didn't like the cold rainy weather, i can imagine he was in a bad mood. :naughty:

anyway, a few people peeked into our room while we were waiting, we found that funny... :naughty: mark even said we didn't have to sit there we could leave if we wanted - but what the hell should've made us want to go out in the cold when we had a nice warm place to stay, and mika was still around?! :naughty: tbh i wasn't even sure he'd come at all, but we had nothing to lose by just staying there and wait.

at some point thomas peeked in our room, and shortly after, he returned with mika. :wub2: as we didn't get much of his time before the show (though i really enjoyed being there for the soundcheck!), he took a lot of time for us, didn't seem to be in a hurry (and after we had gone outside, it took another 30 minutes or so til he came out, so obviously he really wasn't in a hurry :teehee:). he signed some stuff for us (i asked him to sign my backstage pass), we chatted a bit, and then we took pictures. i commented on his shoes and he showed them to us (louboutins, looking a bit like slippers), and i asked him how he came up with the idea of the polka dots for the stage set and the choir. it turned out that it started with the choir robes, and the stage props were made to fit the robes. he said they wanted robes for the choir but didn't want them to look religious. and he told that it was about creating your own world, and something about some famous woman (didn't understand the name) who was always wearing polka dots (for her shows?) and with this costume creating her own world - you could see his eyes light up when he told that... so the polka dots really do have a meaning for him, and i like them a lot more now that i know the story. :wub2:

mika also told nina something about hearing us sing at the soundcheck via his ear monitor, and someone singing badly, but he said it in a joking way, so we don't know whether he meant that or whether he was just fooling around with nina because she told him that she couldn't sing. :teehee: and then he said the others were good singers, but i don't remember anything else he said about the choir, or what else we talked about with him.

when we asked about photos, he asked how we'd like to do it, and as we all were hesitating, i just suggested individual pictures - i'd have been alright with a group pic as well, but as he asked... :naughty: and i'm really happy with the pic i got with him, much better face expression of him than on the last 2 - and he pulled me really close to him, aww! :fangurl: anyway he said we should do all the photos with just one camera, and we decided we'd use nina's - so nina took all the pix and i took the one of her with mika, and a 2nd one because i saw that she had her eyes closed on the first.

afterwards we went outside and joined our friends who were waiting in the cold for mika. he came out half an hour later, i took some pix from the back and then we just managed to catch the night bus back to our hostel.

the first few songs when we could watch the show i filmed a bit, and took a few pictures... will upload the videos later but the pix didn't turn out well. so i only have a few of the m+g outside, which i'll post later, and this: :wub2:

mika-me-wien.jpg

Thanks for you reports Mellody ... am off sick today and they're cheering me up no end :wub2: I'm really hoping to do the choir once he hits London or Glasgow ... reading everyone's experiences makes me want to do it even more ... :aah:

Thanks for your long and vivid report, feels a little bit like being with you there while reading :original:

Yes, exactly! Karin, you share all the little details that I was curious about! Thanks! :flowers2:

thanks for reading it all, lol! :teehee:

i just remembered something else - when he entered our room, mika told us we were indeed forgotten cause we were so quiet. :naughty: so faballa might have been right with walking around on the corridor. :lmfao: but it was quite a big backstage area, and the rooms were in smaller side corridors, so no wonder that no one except maybe mrs p next door heard anything of us. :naughty: i don't mind though, it was nice to have some time to cool down, wouldn't have liked to spend all that time outside in the cold. and we had free wi-fi! :naughty:

mika also told nina something about hearing us sing at the soundcheck via his ear monitor, and someone singing badly, but he said it in a joking way, so we don't know whether he meant that or whether he was just fooling around with nina because she told him that she couldn't sing. and then he said the others were good singers, but i don't remember anything else he said about the choir, or what else we talked about with him.

I don't think he said that any of us sang badly, he was reacting to Nina being worried that she might have ruined the show if her singing would be heard, but he said that we sang well, and that sometimes it happens that someone claims to be a good singer, but then it's just awful, and he imitated it by going all "blaaaaaaaah" :drunk_sing::D

He was so sweet... :wub2:

Thank you all for your reports :') It feels as if we were there :'D

For me, Brussels gigs sounds like yesterday... I can't get over it ;'> It's great to hear what Mika & the band have been doing since they left Belgium :> Aaaah I hope I can see him asap... :'x

It doesn't sound good for Japan though... I'm pretty sure the timing won't be good :'/

I don't think he said that any of us sang badly, he was reacting to Nina being worried that she might have ruined the show if her singing would be heard, but he said that we sang well, and that sometimes it happens that someone claims to be a good singer, but then it's just awful, and he imitated it by going all "blaaaaaaaah" :drunk_sing::D

He was so sweet... :wub2:

Ok... I still have hope for Luxemburg then :fisch:

Edited by Kaito

Sorry that I just think, my English is still not good. Thanks for all the great stories and photos.I also have a few pictures of the unforgettable moments in Vienna

5jylq4v7.jpg

gfyuho4g.jpg

y7fw54fj.jpg

URL=http://www.directupload.net]zsc9rzpk.jpg[/url]

kspstqzc.jpg

v4dou8df.jpg

kogj2pho.jpg

fh3lob8f.jpg

ep76446m.jpg

uszcty5j.jpg

Thank you Cassilda that you. Taken most of the pictures of Mika on stage when I was in the choir:mikalove:

Sorry that I just think, my English is still not good. Thanks for all the great stories and photos.I also have a few pictures of the unforgettable moments in Vienna

5jylq4v7.jpg

gfyuho4g.jpg

y7fw54fj.jpg

URL=http://www.directupload.net]zsc9rzpk.jpg[/url]

kspstqzc.jpg

v4dou8df.jpg

kogj2pho.jpg

fh3lob8f.jpg

ep76446m.jpg

uszcty5j.jpg

Thank you Cassilda that you. Taken most of the pictures of Mika on stage when I was in the choir:mikalove:

I would say you are welcome if I had taken the pics :teehee: but it was Birgit :wink2:, I only filmed OOL :dunno:

I would say you are welcome if I had taken the pics :teehee: but it was Birgit :wink2:, I only filmed OOL :dunno:

Oh entschuldige bin wohl noch ganz durcheinander, sollte so Sachen wohl nicht morgens um 4 h machen... Weist du den ob Birgit auch hier im Forum ist und unter welchem Namen ? Möchte die Videos auch hochladen hab nur noch nicht heraus gefunden wie.... Aber gebe nicht auf ?. Liebe Grüsse und ganz e schöne Tag daeni/ iseeyou

Daeni and Cassilda,

do you know how how to contact Birgit and Gunther? I would love to see there pic and vids from Munich :wink2:

I don't know :dunno:

I thought she and some other girls would join mfc, but they didn't. And I wasn't clever enough to ask for their phone numbers or e-mails...:doh:

Oh entschuldige bin wohl noch ganz durcheinander, sollte so Sachen wohl nicht morgens um 4 h machen... Weist du den ob Birgit auch hier im Forum ist und unter welchem Namen ? Möchte die Videos auch hochladen hab nur noch nicht heraus gefunden wie.... Aber gebe nicht auf ?. Liebe Grüsse und ganz e schöne Tag daeni/ iseeyou

Macht ja nix :D

Leider ist sie, soweit ich weiß, nicht hier registriert...

t4p! :wub2: was it filmed by you? if yes, do you have more pix/videos of the choir parts? really love the quality! :wub2:

Yes,I bought that camera for Mika gigs and now it was the first time when I've used it :thumb_yello: (the reviews says is the best compact camera).But I got so caught by the view,I forgot to use it :blush-anim-cl: When I saw you guys on stage,I remembered you and Nina told me to film the choir :doh: And here is the talk before Stardust:

[YOUTUBE]lQdts4WdW-0&feature[/YOUTUBE]

Yes,I bought that camera for Mika gigs and now it was the first time when I've used it :thumb_yello: (the reviews says is the best compact camera).But I got so caught by the view,I forgot to use it :blush-anim-cl: When I saw you guys on stage,I remembered you and Nina told me to film the choir :doh: And here is the talk before Stardust:

[YOUTUBE]lQdts4WdW-0&feature[/YOUTUBE]

Thank you very much for this video...It is really nice for me to hear (sure it was a joke) that he mentioned Slovakia :)