Why is Mika Boycotted in the UK?

Marilyn Mastin

He's not the only artist who has disappeared for a while, to come back with limited promotion. Jeff Lynne from ELO has been away for an absolute age, and came back with a solo album, okay not his own songs, but it got higher in the UK charts than Mikas did. The only real promotion he had before the release was a documentary about the making of it on BBC FOUR, and an interview on Jools Hollands show the week of the release, which was the same week as TOOL!

There are many artists that do this, and still have recognition in the UK, it has nothing to do with him going off doing side projects where ever he may do them. Bowie did things like that back in the early days, but it didn't hurt his career one jot. The Manic Street Preachers spent time away to do various side projects, spending some time in Cuba at one point, and still came back to success.

I guess what he said about success being a wave and having to catch it at the right time, is probably true. Just wondering when that wave will hit here again.

Umm, I have to confess...I've never heard of The Manic Street Preachers! And yet apparently they've had a career and success and what not.

I'm not trying to imply, obviously, that I have to have heard of people for them to be successful.:naughty: Precious few artists would be successful if that were the requirement, as I don't really keep up with the charts too much. And most of the ones that were would be from the 80's :aah:

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did I miss a post, about someone blaming the rest of the world for his lack of success in the UK? That isn't the problem here. I've been dipping in and out of the thread spasmodically, so I don't know quite what everyone has said.

I'm happy he's doing great in other countries, and, okay sometimes I feel that he gives France more attention, but if that's where he's selling more records, and it keeps him going as regards financing future music, then I guess it's something he has to do.

I'm frustrated with the people here in the UK, for his lack of success here. They seem blinkered by X Factor culture, which I find bland and unimaginative. Hence why I was drawn to Mikas music, as it was so different and refreshing from all the crap I had been listening to.

I still have little battles with my own family about it, I keep asking why they don't like him, and it's constantly about his falsetto voice. I tell them he doesn't just sing like that, and to check out other songs he's sung, but they won't. And I feel this is the same for the rest of the UK, they constantly judge him for that, and won't even try to listen to anything else he's done. It makes me want to bang my head against the wall, it's so annoying.

You are right. I often hear music that the next door neighbours play, and it's usually people like Cheryl Cole the kids seem to like. I've bever heard Mika. I don't know what they think when I play Mika. They probably don't know who he is.

I think its a mixture of things. His PR and Promo people are pathetic. I keep seeing ads for albums of other people. Last night it was Ed Sheeran. I'm not dissing other peoples' music, but where are the ads for Mika's album? I haven't seen any for TOOL at all.

I was so happy that the new songs wern't all about the falsetto. I thought, if people hear his lower voice they'll love it, and him, but since people arn't hearing the songs they don't know this.

It seems that people in the UK see Mika as nothing but a big joke and won't give him a chance. Maybe in the beginning, it was down to the animal costumes, the Plus Sized dancers, and all of the things we fans thought were unique part of his unique show. But although many artists copied Mika, no one gained the disrespect that he did.

I think he needs to have a documentary made for TV. There was an Access All Areas doc on Cheryl Cole on ITV2. He needs something like that, for people to get to know the REAL MIKA. Others have had docs made, Olly Murs and Jedward to name two that are inferior to Mika, but are doing well because of the publicity they get.

I think that would help.

I started to quote and ended up with a looooong post without saying anything.:teehee:

My dearest MFC friends, I see some serious sentences around here, and now I'm feeling even more depressed. :sneaky2:

The closest gig for me was in Vienna and I was planing to go for months but couldn't make it for so many reasons. I'm still in pain every time something about that gig appears and I even avoided to enter the thread with reports for days. Still never seen any gigs and you can't imagine how I wish this to happen. I started to dream myself going to a gig and never get there. I'm feeling sick any time I hear how easily most of you organize your travels, not because you do, I'm happy that you can and happy to read all your reports and see videos and pictures, but because I'm feeling like I'm trapped in a cage. You can't imagine how lucky you all are. I even stopped posting anything here not because I'm not around, but because I feel so desperate for not being able to see Mika at all and didn't want to spread around my bad feelings. At this point of my life I can't afford it (I even planned to take a credit from a bank to go to Vienna, can you believe that:freak:), my friends can't afford traveling with me, cause they are not that insane. And I'm not a student or unemployed. I have a job, work as a teacher, and I have two faculty degrees. No mortgage to pay. I think in this lifetime I won't be able to have my own house or apartment. Or my own car. We are struggling, really struggling, with everyday life here. By that I mean to buy jackets or shoes for our kids, or tickets for the cinema. We forgot how it looks like to eat in a restaurant or to go to a theater. Books are my only vice an a new Mika CD.

Traveling to a Mika gig for me is now more than just a gig.

What is the chance for Mika to come to Serbia? No chance at all I think.:sad:

I'm sorry if this sounds too pathetic or private. It wasn't my intention. I just wanted to say that you shouldn't be unhappy with what you have.

And after all I have to say that I have a feeling Mika still didn't start a proper promo in UK. I think he left it for Christmas time. Am I being too optimistic? I always am, so I can't make a difference between me being optimistic or just realistic. :aah: So it's not just a Lebanese who smile when should be crying. We Serbians do that too. It's the similar way of living.

Sorry for this burst of bad feelings. It had to come out somewhere. I waited for too long to say it somewhere or to someone. I promise I'm usually completely different. :blush-anim-cl:

Thank you for posting this - it is very sobering. In the worldwide community that an internet forum is there are always going to be people coming from many different perspectives. I can not speak for anyone else obviously but just wanted to say that I do not take my freedom and resources to travel for granted. But reading a post like yours serves as a reminder that some of us are very fortunate indeed.

I do so hope that you get to see Mika one day.:huglove:

Well put.

You know, I'm getting a sense of deja vu (and please forgive me for not putting the accents on the letters. I don't know how!)

I feel like I've been part of this conversation many times before on the MFC, a long time ago, granted, but still. It's so easy to get sucked into it again. I'm going to try (really hard) not to say anything more on the subject as I fear we will end up WAAAAY off topic.

It wouldn't be MFC if we didn't have the same conversations over and over :thumb_yello:

I really enjoyed reading your post :biggrin2: You do make me laugh! - I am not being rude about your opinions ( which I basically agree with) - just your way of writing - I can see you saying it and it has put a smile on my face :huglove:

All I wanna do is grope you and you know it :mf_rosetinted:

So I sound funny in English, huh? Oh God, now I feel embarrassed...

GROPE PIC!! GROPE PIC!!!!!

I could have said the same, couldn't I? I feel the same fire in Rosa as I have.

AH, those mediterraneans......:blush-anim-cl:

Yeah, Mediterranean food makes us this way... LOL

You are right Rosa! Just cheer out of the pre-gig depression or I'll kick your butt:wink2:

Pre-gig depression is with me since the very first gig... I just need to get used to it... or maybe start calling it pre-queue-depresion...

Perhaps you don't need to measure in money if you are talking about luxuries that you don't need. But I am talking about paying off my mortgage. If anyone chooses Mika gigs over owning the roof over their head I think it's time for their friends and family to stage an intervention. :freak:

I know Mika doesn't go to Finland either but I'm on a completely different continent. I can't even get on a plane to Europe now for less than $1200. If I earned enough money to justify spending thousands of dollars on ONE concert then I would have so many work responsibilities I wouldn't have time to chase Mika all over the planet anyway.

Being independent means even more of a constant promotion grind (a la Justin Bieber). I am also following an independent singer and it is just non stop for him. He puts out new music literally every month. He sends a CD to all his fan club members 12 times a year. He does secret gigs, house gigs, small bars, opens for other artists, etc., etc.

I just don't see Mika doing any of this kind of thing or perhaps we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place.

I never realized it before but I think "why don't you like me without making me try" is a true instance of Mika's "in lyrics veritas".

I also think he sells enough records and Label Barclay is really behind him so I'm sure he'll be fine.

Ha, I find the Italian and Spanish fire a bit different though.

I also think he is selling enough...

I don´t mean being independent... just maybe trying with someone that thinks different. I think that maybe each label works differently from the others... or maybe not... I don´t know. But we´ve been moaning like since forever for the wrong moves his management, or label or whoever have been doing since the very beginning...

So Rob and me are differents? I´ve heard lots of times that Italians and Spaniards are quite alike.

What's a chickadee? ME! An old member who hasn't been around for yonks. Nice to meet you.

LOL I was from my phone and didn´t do scroll down... Nice to meet you too!! Just one question... did you choose your nickname before or after the "NO CHICKEN TONIGHT" comment?? :aah:

Maybe we don´t agree on everything, but for sure we all want Mika touring forever, right?? Now we only need Mika to agree on this :mf_rosetinted:

I've been lucky cos' by the end of the year I'll have seen him 23 times ... I just want to see him alot more and not have the added worry of how I'm going to get to places abroad ... the minute I even open a foreign website trying to work out how to buy tickets I get a panic attack ... let alone booking a hotel ... or how to get to the venue when I don't speak the language ... I really need to get out of this bloody country more :lmfao:

Holy cow! 23 times?

You wouldn't have to worry about speaking another language if you came to Australia :wink2::fisch:

I've been dipping in and out of the thread spasmodically

:lmfao:

Is spasmodically even a word???

Don't be. Your English is very good :thumb_yello:

So Rob and me are differents? I´ve heard lots of times that Italians and Spaniards are quite alike.

Yes................Robi has never offered to grope me :mf_rosetinted:

Yep :thumb_yello:

Search Results

spasmodically - The Free Dictionary

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/spasmodically

Relating to, affected by, or having the character of a spasm; convulsive. 2. Happening intermittently; fitful: spasmodic rifle fire. 3. Given to sudden outbursts of ...

I am guessing that Rose meant definition 2:naughty:

Don't be. Your English is very good :thumb_yello:

Yes................Robi has never offered to grope me :mf_rosetinted:

Search Results

Relating to, affected by, or having the character of a spasm; convulsive. 2. Happening intermittently; fitful: spasmodic rifle fire. 3. Given to sudden outbursts of ...

She comes from the shy side of Italy, that´s all. We all want to grope you.

@nenartus :huglove: I hope you don't feel that views and stories you read on MFC are representative of the way people spend their time and money when it comes to attending concerts.

Most people work to earn a living, find it hard to save to travel and when they do they might have other priorties than attending a concert.

This thread is mainly about Mika not getting the airplay and success in the UK that would enable him to get exposure elsewhere in Europe so that he could visit more countries, Serbia included. It is not about his happiness but about fans' happiness. Rather few seem to get that though...

You are definitely not alone with your problem of not having been able to afford to go to Vienna, even though it is relatively close and cheaper than it would have been to fly to anywere else. Not even some Hungarians I know could afford the ticket that was almost double the price of the return train ticket. You could feel the absence of fans from neighbouring countries (there were still many but not in the numbers they came 2.5 years ago). So I personally do understand how you feel and I absolutely think that you have a valid point in getting really sad about reading some of the 'complaints' that may actually sound like bragging to someone being in a similar situation you currently are in.

I know. Thanks for your understanding post. I know that our countries are in the similar situations. Those complaints didn't sound like bragging to me. I would certainly also love to write everything I experienced at the gig, since I know at this point I enjoy reading reports and "complaints". :teehee: I just wanted to give a different prospective and different experience.

Thank you for posting this - it is very sobering. In the worldwide community that an internet forum is there are always going to be people coming from many different perspectives. I can not speak for anyone else obviously but just wanted to say that I do not take my freedom and resources to travel for granted. But reading a post like yours serves as a reminder that some of us are very fortunate indeed.

I do so hope that you get to see Mika one day.:huglove:

It wouldn't be MFC if we didn't have the same conversations over and over :thumb_yello:

Thanks.

Holy cow! 23 times?

You wouldn't have to worry about speaking another language if you came to Australia :wink2::fisch:

I've been in love with Australia ever since Neighbours hit our screens when I was a teenager :teehee: God if I had the money to come Mika wouldn't even figure into the reasons for going :wub2: and don't get me started on New Zealand ... I stole a book out of the library when I was very little - about 6 - cos' it had such beautiful photos in it and I thought this place was heaven ... or something similar ... it was a book about New Zealand ... my Mum made me take it back but they let me have it cos' I was crying ..... true story :lmfao:

Rosa this is a chickadee, nothing to do with chickens :naughty:

black_capped_chickadee_glamour.jpg

(It also wouldn't be MFC if we didn't go off topic. Perhaps a result of getting bored of rehashing the same convos over and over. :teehee:)

To me Italians sound very melodramatic. I'm not sure how else to describe it but it's probably a language issue. Outside of MFC the only Italians I've known are also Canadians and I think the ex pat culture is its own thing and very different from being born and raised in Italy. So I don't really know what Italians are like generally. But when they express themselves in writing it sounds very dramatic to me. :naughty:

To me the Spanish fire "sounds" different. Less serious I think. Like Mika says the Lebanese can be screaming one minute and laughing the next. It seems like that to me. :naughty:

WAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! HOW CHEEKY!!!! :shun: I´m so much polite than her then.... :shun:

:naughty:

today I've learnt a new word: to grope :mf_rosetinted:

You see.....................you get such a good educational experience here on MFC :wink2:

LOL I was from my phone and didn´t do scroll down... Nice to meet you too!! Just one question... did you choose your nickname before or after the "NO CHICKEN TONIGHT" comment?? :aah:

I joined after Mika made the "No chicken tonight" comment but because I wasn't a member, I had no idea about it until after I'd already chosen my name and started reading the threads. I just used to call all my friends chickadee, so I chose that as my own name.

(It also wouldn't be MFC if we didn't go off topic. Perhaps a result of getting bored of rehashing the same convos over and over. :teehee:)

Well, yeah, there is a real bird called a chickadee as well. But I swear it's nowhere near as cute and interesting as me.:mf_rosetinted:

They are both birds, so you may say someone likes chicken and someone chickadee. :blink: Now we just have to find a different meaning for chickadee. :mf_rosetinted:

:shocked: No! Surely chickadee can just mean me, right? :tears: You'll be putting all sorts of naughty associations with my name :sneaky2:

To me Italians sound very melodramatic. I'm not sure how else to describe it but it's probably a language issue. Outside of MFC the only Italians I've known are also Canadians and I think the ex pat culture is its own thing and very different from being born and raised in Italy. So I don't really know what Italians are like generally. But when they express themselves in writing it sounds very dramatic to me. :naughty:

To me the Spanish fire "sounds" different. Less serious I think. Like Mika says the Lebanese can be screaming one minute and laughing the next. It seems like that to me. :naughty:

When I think of Italian people suddenly I remember some old comedies... Bud Spencer and "Jaimito" (sorry, don´t know his real name in Italian). And yes, melodramatic is maybe the word to define them :aah:

About Spaniards... I have never seen anyone screaming and then laughing LOL. We are more like... let me take Mika as an example, a man (English man in this case) can say "oh, this is sweet, how lovely" (even if he is not gay :mf_rosetinted:) but that doesn´t happen here. No one says "this is sweet/lovely" in a daily basis. We are not "that" affectionate when it is about the speaking. On the other hand, we like to "touch" each other. We kiss friends almost every time we see them, we use to hug.. yes, we like the physical contact. But OH MY GOD, HOW CAN YOU SAY WE LIKE DRAMA!?!? :tears: I´M SO SAD I THINK I´M GONNA KILL MYSELF!!! :crybaby:

today I've learnt a new word: to grope :mf_rosetinted:

@Christine I like what you posted, there's some truth in it :wink2:

Let´s grope together :mf_rosetinted:

I joined after Mika made the "No chicken tonight" comment but because I wasn't a member, I had no idea about it until after I'd already chosen my name and started reading the threads. I just used to call all my friends chickadee, so I chose that as my own name.

Well, yeah, there is a real bird called a chickadee as well. But I swear it's nowhere near as cute and interesting as me.:mf_rosetinted:

:shocked: No! Surely chickadee can just mean me, right? :tears: You'll be putting all sorts of naughty associations with my name :sneaky2:

LOL yes, don´t worry... I don´t know in the world out there, here there´s only one chickadee and it´s you. And about the naughty associations... go read the FAQ, I´m pretty sure there´s a law that allows MFCers to put naughty associations with almost everything :aah:

Search Results

I guess so. And it's still a funny word. Then again, I giggle at the number 69, so maybe I'm just really immature :teehee:

I've been in love with Australia ever since Neighbours hit our screens when I was a teenager :teehee: God if I had the money to come Mika wouldn't even figure into the reasons for going :wub2: and don't get me started on New Zealand ... I stole a book out of the library when I was very little - about 6 - cos' it had such beautiful photos in it and I thought this place was heaven ... or something similar ... it was a book about New Zealand ... my Mum made me take it back but they let me have it cos' I was crying ..... true story :lmfao:

Meh, stuff Mika...

Ooooooh, NZ is absolutely gorgeous! Soangel and I went there at the start of 2011 and we had a awesome time. Even heard some kiwis say "Sweet as bro" :teehee:

To me Italians sound very melodramatic. I'm not sure how else to describe it but it's probably a language issue.

The Italians I know are quite melodramatic (though some would be hesitant to say they were :teehee:)

Well, you are very cute and interesting :das:

I guess so. And it's still a funny word. Then again, I giggle at the number 69, so maybe I'm just really immature :teehee:

Well, you are very cute and interesting :das:

You, immature? No way!

:fisch:

And there we have it, confirmation from the world rep for Australia that I am both cute and interesting.:mf_rosetinted:

Have I bored you all yet?:naughty:

I feel like I've been part of this conversation many times before on the MFC, a long time ago, granted, but still. It's so easy to get sucked into it again. I'm going to try (really hard) not to say anything more on the subject as I fear we will end up WAAAAY off topic.

I think this is an ‘off topic’ / discussion thread, so nothing really is off topic as long as it is related to Mika. :dunno: Perhaps another requirement is that since it is a discussion type of off-topic thread, it is preferable to write posts rather than post Mika pictures – unless they are relevant to some of the points raised. I find that usually there is a right balance of off-topic comments in threads now - perhaps it is because the few of us who still visit this MFC are used to forum culture now.

@Marilyn Mastin I always read your posts because you are so honest about some topics few of us would not want to mention or even deny the existence of....

I was so happy that the new songs weren't all about the falsetto. I thought, if people hear his lower voice they'll love it, and him, but since people arn't hearing the songs they don't know this. .

That’s what I thought, too, but his most famous song, Grace Kelly, uses a falsetto and his least successful single Celebrate does not, I think it has more to do with just the falsetto. Also, so many popstars have used falsetto in pop and rock history and are using it successfully now, so it must be something else, like the way it is incorporated into songs or more likely, that and his image combined, like you point out:

It seems that people in the UK see Mika as nothing but a big joke and won't give him a chance. Maybe in the beginning, it was down to the animal costumes, the Plus Sized dancers, and all of the things we fans thought were unique part of his unique show. But although many artists copied Mika, no one gained the disrespect that he did.
Yes, it seems like he shot himself in the foot with some of these ideas.

You, immature? No way!

:fisch:

And there we have it, confirmation from the world rep for Australia that I am both cute and interesting.:mf_rosetinted:

Have I bored you all yet?:naughty:

Nope... not bored at all!

But I don't need to bribe Teegs. She knows me and loves me of old.:wub2:

I like lots of people and they don't have to bribe me... I sometimes wonder if the people that like me have been bribed though :teehee:

And apologies for being off topic :teehee: