Why is Mika Boycotted in the UK?

Marilyn Mastin

They are talking about Mika on Radio 1 but not for the reasons we'd hoped. A show called Diasterpieces. :aah:

Anyway offers some opinions why Mika has struggled in the UK since TBWKTM. Starts at 18:45.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p1vys

It's sad that he is on this at all, but it does explain a few things.

It would have been nice for them to mention he does have a new album out though, even if it doesn't fit with the British publics stereotype of him,which kind of annoys me really. What is wrong with people in this country, that they can't accept an artist changing the way they do things? Why does everyone have to be so closed minded, it's ridiculous!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's sad that he is on this at all, but it does explain a few things.

It would have been nice for them to mention he does have a new album out though, even if it doesn't fit with the British publics stereotype of him,which kind of annoys me really. What is wrong with people in this country, that they can't accept an artist changing the way they do things? Why does everyone have to be so closed minded, it's ridiculous!

Yes, quite. It would indeed have been great if TOOL of love had been mentioned....in a positive manner.

They are talking about Mika on Radio 1 but not for the reasons we'd hoped. A show called Diasterpieces. :aah:

Anyway offers some opinions why Mika has struggled in the UK since TBWKTM. Starts at 18:45.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p1vys

I'm confused, though. They say people wouldn't want more than one album of "supermarket pop" but they also say people didn't like the second album because it was different. So he loses no matter what. :dunno:

I didn't find TBWKTM somber, but I do enjoy it about ten times as much as LICM, for whatever that's worth.

I'm confused, though. They say people wouldn't want more than one album of "supermarket pop" but they also say people didn't like the second album because it was different. So he loses no matter what. :dunno:

I didn't find TBWKTM somber, but I do enjoy it about ten times as much as LICM, for whatever that's worth.

I think they're talking a bit of nonsense to be honest. This whole idea that Mika went off on his own and didn't collaborate and it somehow hurt TBWKTM is an after-the-fact story. It wasn't something anyone could have even guessed at the time and it's not even 100% true. There are collaborations on TBWKTM. Jodi Marr is there. Imogen Heap is there. I remember he was also getting advice from Pete Townsend on his process at that time. And of course there was Greg Wells and all the musicians, choir, etc. that they brought in while they were recording. I think the DJs are just saying that to back up the recent clips by Mika that they aired.

Anyway I like TBWKTM too. I guess I skip a couple of songs but I do the same with the other two albums as well. I think I've only listened to Emily once because these days if you don't like a song you just delete it from your playlist so you don't have to skip it. I think the darkness is deeply buried enough that no one who didn't give the album a really good listen is going to detect it so I am not convinced that's why the British public wasn't interested.

I think they're talking a bit of nonsense to be honest.

They are simply repeating what Mika has said in interviews about doing the second album isolated vs collaborating with others on the third and about the 2nd album being 'dark'.

Even if that was all true though, it wouldn't explain the lack of success of the 3rd album, so he can throw that theory out of the window. :cool:

They are simply repeating what Mika has said in interviews about doing the second album isolated vs collaborating with others on the third and about the 2nd album being 'dark'.

Even if that was all true though, it wouldn't explain the lack of success of the 3rd album, so he can throw that theory out of the window. :cool:

I've got one. He stopped touring and recording 9 months after LICM was released and spent the next 7 months being fitted for shoes to wear at a gig in France that no one in the UK could possibly be interested in.

I think what they say about Duffy fits in with that because if you don't have a strong image or are too private or whatever you are going to fall out of the public consciousness. You either have to work your promo non stop or get drunk and slag off Elton John on TV or punch Liam Gallagher or break Adele's heart. Being a good singer is necessary but not sufficient to being a pop star in the UK. Well of course being a good singer is not even necessary anymore.

I've got one. He stopped touring and recording 9 months after LICM was released and spent the next 7 months being fitted for shoes to wear at a gig in France that no one in the UK could possibly be interested in.

I think what they say about Duffy fits in with that because if you don't have a strong image or are too private or whatever you are going to fall out of the public consciousness. You either have to work your promo non stop or get drunk and slag off Elton John on TV or punch Liam Gallagher or break Adele's heart. Being a good singer is necessary but not sufficient to being a pop star in the UK. Well of course being a good singer is not even necessary anymore.

Ouch! Tell it like it is Christine, don't hold anything back! :mf_rosetinted:

I happen to agree with you, btw.:naughty:

I tried to listen to this programme the other day but my daughter objected that it was boring so I said "Fine, I'll listen on my phone then" but it wouldn't play on my phone for some reason. I meant to get back to it while she was at school but I forgot. :doh:

Sometime this week...

I think you have absolutely nailed it right there :thumb_yello: