Why is Mika Boycotted in the UK?

Marilyn Mastin

This is what I'm noticing here too. You can't see Mika's album anywhere. It hasn't been advertised properly and hardly any radio stations are playing his songs.

I blame his record company and what passes for his PR team, for this. They're letting him down badly.

I do think, if he had more promo and advertising, the UK would love him. But they can't love what they don't hear, or see.

This is part of what I meant in an earlier post, about it being an utter shambles. He needs to hire some new people and sack the ones who are not doing their job properly.

I agree with you, whoever is incharge of promoting his album in the UK is doing a terrible job. I think the UK would love him for sure :thumb_yello: another thing, when he did get UK interviews...they were on shows no one really watches, or the audience for those shows is wrong for MIKA's music :dunno:

You say terrible things. That upsets me(. Shame shame shame.

All music stores in Moscow sell the album - that`s me on a pic at the moment i bought it.

It's really what's happening, which is really sad! He deserves so much more. Moscow seems cool :teehee:

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Of course he has the freedom to live his life anyway he wants. I just think it's time to stop blaming everyone else. These are his choices.

Personally I think all this "artistic integrity" is a load of rubbish. It's pop music and not Mozart. But clearly he wants to spend a large chunk of his life not actively being a pop star and I certainly can't blame him for that. He can make a very good living doing other things and he's managed to escape the most negative aspects of fame so hopefully he's found a balance that works for him.

Yeah, I do agree.

I would obviously like it if he was more high profile here but it doesn't really bother me that he isn't. I suppose if I am perfectly honest the only reason that it does bother me is that it means we don't get to see him as often as we would like.

Edited by kath

I suppose if I am perfectly honest the only reason that it does bother me is that it means we don't get to see him as often as we would like.

Yes this has been the reality in North America for 3 years and it's not likely to change. But it is what it is and since he's running around buying multi million dollar houses he is obviously extremely successful in his career as a whole even if some of us don't get to see him perform or hear new music as often as we'd like.

Yes this has been the reality in North America for 3 years and it's not likely to change. But it is what it is and since he's running around buying multi million dollar houses he is obviously extremely successful in his career as a whole even if some of us don't get to see him perform or hear new music as often as we'd like.

Yep.:thumb_yello:

Perhaps I'll take my vacation in Miami next summer :wink2:

Re: Cher Lloyd, yes what a change! Those dresses couldn't be any shorter either. What I thought was really odd was that LA Reid put Astro on the UK version (from US X Factor). But when she came to America they made a new video and left the US boy out.

*mutters under breath* Not gonna mention all the parts of the world where he's only been once or twice... *clears throat*

There are some artists who just seem to click with another country (or countries) rather than their own for some reason and while it might upset them a little that they aren't more loved at home, in terms of having a career and making money, does it really matter where they find their audience? Not to the artist, I'm guessing.

It's only for the home fans that this is such an issue. Living on this isolated rock in the south seas, I'm now resigned to practically never seeing the man. I've seen him once and that may have to do me for the rest of my life.

I also feel I need to say this. Mika is not the only apple in the barrel. There are plenty of very talented musicians out there who 'deserve' an audience, who 'deserve' to sell out stadiums and have the whole world singing their songs. For most, it's not going to happen. It's just a numbers thing. Does that mean that they are all being boycotted too? I don't think so.

I won't profess to know or understand how the music industry works. Do DJ's get to choose what they play? Or do they get instructions from higher up? Do they choose to promote songs they 'believe' in or that they feel will be successful commercially? I have no idea. Maybe the DJ's around at the moment don't like Mika's new songs. :dunno:

On the other hand, I also want to mention Gotye. This is in relation to the single "Somebody That I Used To Know" off his third album "Making Mirrors". The quote below is from Wikipedia.

"The single quickly moved up the ARIA singles chart despite a lack of airplay on commercial radio stations. The song was further boosted by endorsements from Ashton Kutcher and Lily Allen via Twitter, exposing Gotye's music to their millions of followers."

That single went on to become a world wide hit. Maybe what Mika needs is some celeb endorsement, eh? :naughty: Maybe, but I was actually pointing out the fact that the single didn't get played on commercial stations to begin with but still did well, just because it was an awesome song. Different from what was on the charts at the time and somewhat reminiscent of an earlier era (I swear to God, the first time I heard it, I thought Peter Gabriel had released something new) and people still ate it up.

Maybe the issue here is simply that there is a lack of awesome on TOOL? Good, yes, maybe even some quite good songs, but the fact that nobody seems to be able to point to an obvious single does suggest to me a bit of a lack of awesome.

I hope I haven't offended anyone who is desperately in love with this album. I just know that I'm not.

Edit: Forgot to point out... This was Gotye's third album. So maybe TOOL won't be another LICM. If it does well enough for Mika to still have a record deal, maybe we just need to wait for album number four for a touch more awesome?

Edited by chickadee

*mutters under breath* Not gonna mention all the parts of the world where he's only been once or twice... *clears throat*

There are some artists who just seem to click with another country (or countries) rather than their own for some reason and while it might upset them a little that they aren't more loved at home, in terms of having a career and making money, does it really matter where they find their audience? Not to the artist, I'm guessing.

It's only for the home fans that this is such an issue. Living on this isolated rock in the south seas, I'm now resigned to practically never seeing the man. I've seen him once and that may have to do me for the rest of my life.

I also feel I need to say this. Mika is not the only apple in the barrel. There are plenty of very talented musicians out there who 'deserve' an audience, who 'deserve' to sell out stadiums and have the whole world singing their songs. For most, it's not going to happen. It's just a numbers thing. Does that mean that they are all being boycotted too? I don't think so.

I won't profess to know or understand how the music industry works. Do DJ's get to choose what they play? Or do they get instructions from higher up? Do they choose to promote songs they 'believe' in or that they feel will be successful commercially? I have no idea. Maybe the DJ's around at the moment don't like Mika's new songs. :dunno:

On the other hand, I also want to mention Gotye. This is in relation to the single "Somebody That I Used To Know" off his third album "Making Mirrors". The quote below is from Wikipedia.

"The single quickly moved up the ARIA singles chart despite a lack of airplay on commercial radio stations. The song was further boosted by endorsements from Ashton Kutcher and Lily Allen via Twitter, exposing Gotye's music to their millions of followers."

That single went on to become a world wide hit. Maybe what Mika needs is some celeb endorsement, eh? :naughty: Maybe, but I was actually pointing out the fact that the single didn't get played on commercial stations to begin with but still did well, just because it was an awesome song. Different from what was on the charts at the time and somewhat reminiscent of an earlier era (I swear to God, the first time I heard it, I thought Peter Gabriel had released something new) and people still ate it up.

Maybe the issue here is simply that there is a lack of awesome on TOOL? Good, yes, maybe even some quite good songs, but the fact that nobody seems to be able to point to an obvious single does suggest to me a bit of a lack of awesome.

I hope I haven't offended anyone who is desperately in love with this album. I just know that I'm not.

Edit: Forgot to point out... This was Gotye's third album. So maybe TOOL won't be another LICM. If it does well enough for Mika to still have a record deal, maybe we just need to wait for album number four for a touch more awesome?

You could be onto something there.

Snow Patrol didn't get their first major hit til their 6th (I think) album, and Pulp took 15 years before they actually got noticed.

Although Mika is known, and seems to have slipped into the ether, perhaps he will make a rennaisance at some point.

Like he said in one interview, you have to catch the right wave at the right time, and who knows what may happen in the next couple of years.

If you want to get your record airplay you have to go after the music director and push, push, push. 99.9% of the dj's don't have any say over what they play. They play what they are told. The first step is even to get on the radar. When I'm listening to R1 and they have a request time, I usually request Mika. They never play him, but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop requesting him. Pretty wack, especially as Nick Grimshaw did that big show/interview with him for the last album. Also... don't forget the cd just came out. It's going to take awhile to get to the right ears. I'm sure "Stardust' would be a big dance floor hit.

If you want to get your record airplay you have to go after the music director and push, push, push. 99.9% of the dj's don't have any say over what they play. They play what they are told. The first step is even to get on the radar. When I'm listening to R1 and they have a request time, I usually request Mika. They never play him, but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop requesting him. Pretty wack, especially as Nick Grimshaw did that big show/interview with him for the last album. Also... don't forget the cd just came out. It's going to take awhile to get to the right ears. I'm sure "Stardust' would be a big dance floor hit.

Ah, so it's the music directors who have the power. And how do they choose? I mean, surely everyone is pushing, right? Is this a "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" situation? Or do they give in to pressure like some doctors do with drug company reps, just to shut them up? :lmfao: Or do they pick things they actually like? It sure would be interesting to know how these things get decided.

Hi, yes, I agree with you, especially the bolded parts. (Not the part about the album though as I love it)

I think that is what we need to accept here in the uk. Mika has many strings to his bow and for the moment we need to accept that for a variety of reasons 'being a pop star' is not working for him here. But that doesn't mean he isn't having a successful career.

You could be onto something there.

Snow Patrol didn't get their first major hit til their 6th (I think) album, and Pulp took 15 years before they actually got noticed.

Although Mika is known, and seems to have slipped into the ether, perhaps he will make a rennaisance at some point.

Like he said in one interview, you have to catch the right wave at the right time, and who knows what may happen in the next couple of years.

I totally agree.

Edited by kath

I keep reading this thread..............and agree with most of what is said but I don't really have anything else to add that hasn't already been said. The music business is a funny old thing - who knows what may happen in the future?

I do agree though with Christine's point from a couple of pages ago about how Mika's image is now a lot more French and he probably would not have had the same appeal (for a lot of people anyway) if that had been the case back in the early days.

I'm with Laurel though - he is what he is, on his own terms. And if I am the only one in my town that appreciates that well then so be it.

Btw - I know that Radio2, and Ken Bruce in particular, are about the only radio station in the UK that are palying TOOL but he played 'Drunk' the other day and Origin today :thumb_yello:

I appreciate that he is what he is. That's why we love him, but its also what often holds him back. I said that a while ago. If he was any different hs wouldn't be Mika anymore.

Ken Bruce is a good guy. God bless him for playing Mika's songs. Pity other djs don't play him too.

Ah, so it's the music directors who have the power. And how do they choose? I mean, surely everyone is pushing, right? Is this a "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" situation? Or do they give in to pressure like some doctors do with drug company reps, just to shut them up? :lmfao: Or do they pick things they actually like? It sure would be interesting to know how these things get decided.

When R1 stopped playing Mika, around the time of Rain, I emailed them to ask how they choose their playlist. They said the artist has to be relevant. I took that to mean, whoever is popular at the moment. The catch 22 is that you have to he heard, to be relevant.

I think the key to success for anyone who isn't JB, ID Cher Lloyd, Cheryl Cole, Rihanna or Munford & Sons is to have a brilliant video. This is what helped Gangnam Style go to #1 in the UK. A good video can have a big impact and since R1 don't give a %?@* about Mika, he has to have other ways to get his music out there.

That's why I'm a bit disappointed that Uw isn't the single, because he's done a fantasy video which might be popular. Wheras, for Origin, atm there is only that boring short film, which is not going to appeal to anyone really. So I hope he's doing a better vid for Origin.

It´s hard to catch you up,girls!!

I don´t live in UK *sigh* so I don´t know how things are there in a daily meaning. But I don´t think that Mika is not succesful... let´s say that he is not as succesful as we want. But as Christine said before, he bought a house in Miami and another one in Chelsea(?)... I bet those weren´t cheap...

Thing is... why do we want him to be mega famous when clearly it´s not his desire? He´s been in America and he performed at the maybe most important TV show there. He´s been in Spain, and he´s been three times at the best late show we have. In the last three years and a half I managed to see him on stage 7 times without taking a plane... (which means, he came to my country). No one here plays his music everyday. You sometimes can hear Rain or Relax in the radio, but that´s all. They did a short promo in only one radio station here, saying "Mika, the britanic popstar is back with Celebrate" they played 7 seconds of Celebrate, and that´s all. It happened during like a month. But no, he is not getting any air here. Tickets are not sold out yet for his next week concerts here... which is sad...

But thinking in positive... He is famous enough as to keep on performing for a couple of years more, cause as he said "maybe I just sold 4 millions of copies of my last album, but I´ve been touring the world and I´ve sold a lot more of 4 millions of tickets, so...."

If he is able to record a new album in a couple of years, and keep on touring, it´s ok with me. And I don´t think that he needs to sell this or that amount of albums to keep his contract with Universal. Or even if it´s true, and he needs to sell 4 millions, and then he doesn´t get it... what happens?? nothing. It doesn´t mean that he wouldn´t be able to record a new album anymore. He has enough money as to produce his own next album and then promotion it.

And if he got run out of money for some strange reason, he still owns two houses. He can mortgage them as Jodi did once!! :aah:

His non-famousness (LOL I made up that word) means: he still makes amazing songs, and his gigs are still cheap.

I´m happy with the amount of fame he has now!! :wink2:

He´s been in America and he performed at the maybe most important TV show there.

Jay Leno is not an important show.

But what if he could never perform in Spain or Portugal or anywhere nearby again? Would you be happy with that? What if he spends more and more time with his extra curricular activities to make money because he can't make enough money selling albums to these small markets where he still has appeal?

Yes we all want Mika to be happy but can you still call yourself a "Mika fan" when you don't go to gigs and there is no new music to listen to for 3 years? 5 years? Who knows?

For me this is the end of an era. I don't think he's going to come back to Toronto and I'm tired of travelling. Technically I can afford it but the price of travel has become so outrageous it's not justifiable to spend it on seeing a concert anymore. It costs more money now to spend a couple of days in New York than it did to spend an entire week in London in 2007. I've been to about 25 gigs now and I can either go to another 25 or pay off my entire mortgage, because that's how much it would cost.

And I'm afraid I am not going to spend another several years just waiting around while he does all these things that I'm not interested in, waiting for a new album. I don't care about French Christmas songs or Madonna songs or the theme music for an amusement park I will never attend or collaborations with Louboutin, etc. Mika's current "amount of fame" in the English speaking world means that my days as an active Mika fan are coming to an end.

Anyway Chickadee it's nice to see you again and hear your thoughts on this. i hope you and your family have been well.

But what if he could never perform in Spain or Portugal or anywhere nearby again? Would you be happy with that? What if he spends more and more time with his extra curricular activities to make money because he can't make enough money selling albums to these small markets where he still has appeal?

Yes we all want Mika to be happy but can you still call yourself a "Mika fan" when you don't go to gigs and there is no new music to listen to for 3 years? 5 years? Who knows?

For me this is the end of an era. I don't think he's going to come back to Toronto and I'm tired of travelling. Technically I can afford it but the price of travel has become so outrageous it's not justifiable to spend it on seeing a concert anymore. It costs more money now to spend a couple of days in New York than it did to spend an entire week in London in 2007. I've been to about 25 gigs now and I can either go to another 25 or pay off my entire mortgage, because that's how much it would cost.

And I'm afraid I am not going to spend another several years just waiting around while he does all these things that I'm not interested in, waiting for a new album. I don't care about French Christmas songs or Madonna songs or the theme music for an amusement park I will never attend or collaborations with Louboutin, etc. Mika's current "amount of fame" in the English speaking world means that my days as an active Mika fan are coming to an end.

Anyway Chickadee it's nice to see you again and hear your thoughts on this. i hope you and your family have been well.

But I think he can keep on doing what he has been doing until now... Its too soon now to know how the album is doing yet,but I can imagine itll do at least the same as the last one. I think he will keep on touring...

If he doesnt come to spain anymore...oh well... Im not in my "I-need-Mika-to-breath" phase anymore so Id survive. Id love to be a Mika fan FOREVER which means that Id go to gigs (affordable gigs) if he kept on performing. And as long as he is the man he is now Ill support him.

I understand its different for people from the other side of the pond... its sad that you need to travel 12 hours to attend a gig that only lasts 1 and a half...

I bet its impossible to make everybody happy... lets see how things develop in the following months.

That "chickadee" comment was for me?? :aah: whats a chickadee?? LOL Sounds chickeny :lmfao:

Yes we all want Mika to be happy but can you still call yourself a "Mika fan" when you don't go to gigs and there is no new music to listen to for 3 years? 5 years? Who knows?For me this is the end of an era. I don't think he's going to come back to Toronto and I'm tired of travelling. Technically I can afford it but the price of travel has become so outrageous it's not justifiable to spend it on seeing a concert anymore. It costs more money now to spend a couple of days in New York than it did to spend an entire week in London in 2007. I've been to about 25 gigs now and I can either go to another 25 or pay off my entire mortgage, because that's how much it would cost.

My answer to that question will always be YES.

Why?

Because it has always been like that for me. Growing up in a rather small city in the province of Quebec teached me that. Heck, it took me 25 years to see Duran Duran live:fisch: was it worth the wait? Every second of it!

I would like to travel to go see gigs, mostly to meet up with friends I made here, but I don't need to see the same show 10 times in a row or travel for hours to consider myself a fan.

Of course I keep hoping that Mika will show is pretty face in Montreal sometimes in 2013, but if it doesn't happen, I will be happy watching vids and listen to music.

I must be a very low-maintenance fan:mf_rosetinted:

When R1 stopped playing Mika, around the time of Rain, I emailed them to ask how they choose their playlist. They said the artist has to be relevant. I took that to mean, whoever is popular at the moment. The catch 22 is that you have to he heard, to be relevant.

I think the key to success for anyone who isn't JB, ID Cher Lloyd, Cheryl Cole, Rihanna or Munford & Sons is to have a brilliant video. This is what helped Gangnam Style go to #1 in the UK. A good video can have a big impact and since R1 don't give a %?@* about Mika, he has to have other ways to get his music out there.

That's why I'm a bit disappointed that Uw isn't the single, because he's done a fantasy video which might be popular. Wheras, for Origin, atm there is only that boring short film, which is not going to appeal to anyone really. So I hope he's doing a better vid for Origin.

He will probably do the video when he gets back in December, before the UK dates.

I realy do see your point. My worry is that if he doesn't sell many albums in the UK, he'll just leave the UK alone. My health, not to mention my financial situation, would mean I could not travel too far to see him. Besides, I like him coming to London, and my home town.

Like you, I was frustrated when I kept seeing threads, "Mika's doing this, or that," then finding out it was something exclusive to France, or as in the case of Songs For Sorrow, a limited edition thing only available in certain places (Tbh, SFS was a waste of time when most of the songs were on the album anyway)

I've always thought to myself, "well its up to Mika. Its his choice and life and its not up to us to tell him what to do." But sometimes, I confess, I was a bit annoyed with him playing a clown on a Loubi vid in France and having nothing happening in the UK.

I think maybe he spreads himself too thin. But again, its his choice.

But I agree with what you say.

Why?

Because it has always been like that for me. Growing up in a rather small city in the province of Quebec teached me that. Heck, it took me 25 years to see Duran Duran live:fisch: was it worth the wait? Every second of it!

I would like to travel to go see gigs, mostly to meet up with friends I made here, but I don't need to see the same show 10 times in a row or travel for hours to consider myself a fan.

Of course I keep hoping that Mika will show is pretty face in Montreal sometimes in 2013, but if it doesn't happen, I will be happy watching vids and listen to music.

I so agree with you. :thumb_yello: Nothing more to add. I consider myself as a Mika fan and I see him only once. I didn't spend all my money to see him in New-York, I tried to win tickets for the a show in France but I can't make miracles and I need to wait or listen to his (amazing) videos. :wink2:

That "chickadee" comment was for me?? :aah: whats a chickadee?? LOL Sounds chickeny :lmfao:

Chickadee is posting in the thread. Sorry I should have quoted her but if I'm on my iPad it's more difficult to edit and I get lazy. :wink2:

Although funnily enough there is a group of girls on MFC I call chickadees. It's not chickeny, it's like a variations of chicas. :naughty:

I so agree with you. :thumb_yello: Nothing more to add. I consider myself as a Mika fan and I see him only once.

Well I will always be a fan of Mika. I have very eclectic tastes in music and I love Mika's voice so I'm sure I will love 90%+ of what he does in the future. And of course I would go to any gig in Toronto and would consider NYC or similar if he only comes to N. America every few years.

I put "Mika fan" in quotes because I meant something more than that. Maybe more like being an MFCer although it's not like I am going to delete my account either. :naughty: I invested a lot of time and effort in keeping up with what Mika was doing and I just don't want to do that for long periods of time when he's just faffing around with stuff I'm not interested in and I can't go to gigs.

During the last dry spell I had a running joke with some people that we were waiting for the booty call. That once Mika was done with his hiding and faffing around and neglecting his fans that suddenly there would be a promise of new songs with a secret gig or similar.

But I do not intend to sit another several years by the phone waiting for the next booty call. :naughty:

I am definitely not that. :lmfao: But you know I think I and plenty of other people have earned the right to make an occassional demand. Regardless of what the future holds we HAVE stood by him for a long time.

Its his choice and life and its not up to us to tell him what to do." But sometimes, I confess, I was a bit annoyed with him playing a clown on a Loubi vid in France and having nothing happening in the UK.

Yes it annoys me too for many reasons I'd rather not get into which is why I'd rather not be around for the next clown video. :naughty:

The US gigs were the best I'd been to in close to 5 years and Mika was so happy. I think it's sort of a good place to leave things.

Chickadee is posting in the thread. Sorry I should have quoted her but if I'm on my iPad it's more difficult to edit and I get lazy. :wink2:

Although funnily enough there is a group of girls on MFC I call chickadees. It's not chickeny, it's like a variations of chicas. :naughty:

Well I will always be a fan of Mika. I have very eclectic tastes in music and I love Mika's voice so I'm sure I will love 90%+ of what he does in the future. And of course I would go to any gig in Toronto and would consider NYC or similar if he only comes to N. America every few years.

I put "Mika fan" in quotes because I meant something more than that. Maybe more like being an MFCer although it's not like I am going to delete my account either. :naughty: I invested a lot of time and effort in keeping up with what Mika was doing and I just don't want to do that for long periods of time when he's just faffing around with stuff I'm not interested in and I can't go to gigs.

During the last dry spell I had a running joke with some people that we were waiting for the booty call. That once Mika was done with his hiding and faffing around and neglecting his fans that suddenly there would be a promise of new songs with a secret gig or similar.

But I do not intend to sit another several years by the phone waiting for the next booty call. :naughty:

I am definitely not that. :lmfao: But you know I think I and plenty of other people have earned the right to make an occassional demand. Regardless of what the future holds we HAVE stood by him for a long time.

Yes it annoys me too for many reasons I'd rather not get into which is why I'd rather not be around for the next clown video. :naughty:

The US gigs were the best I'd been to in close to 5 years and Mika was so happy. I think it's sort of a good place to leave things.

Once again I see what you mean. I too will always love Mika, no matter what, but I don't want those wilderness years again. Atm I'm just hoping that the album will start to sell better in the UK. If he comes back next month, does some TV and proper promo. We have Origin as the single and I hope it has a good video. Maybe the UK will find the Uw vid and hit on it thousands of times, then download the song.

There are many things that could happen. Even the fact that he has all the contacts he has, or is writing for someone else, might impact on his own career.

Its possible that Mika will, in the end, not be like Justin Bieber or Robbie Williams, selling out stadiums and having #1 singles or albums. Its possible he'll be around, but more like a pop maestro than a pop singer. More like Mark Ronson or Gary Barlow, or better still, the new Andrew Lloyd Webber.e

I was cheered up yesterday by something on the "Origin of Love The New Single" thread. A lovely UK article that's worth a look. All is not lost yet in the UK.

Here it is.

http://top40-charts.com/news.php?nid=83952

We'll just have to see what the future holds for Mika and his fans.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

I genuinely wish him all the success he deserves but on his own terms. I can't see him doing this pop star thing the Justin Bieber way, really. He wants to be appreciated and he is flattered and happy to have success (and I was super excited for him when the album was out in the US and had great reviews) but you know, after a couple of months of promotion and in the middle of this busy theater size tour he is already exhausted, I can see it. He is doing great shows and everything seems to be fine but I think he is tired. I can't see how he could cope and enjoy doing massive promotion all the time. He is intelligent and creative and probably needs a lot of interesting things to do and interesting people to work with and also space to do things his own way. That's the reason why I follow his career and I love these theater size gigs most so I can't complain.

He is not coming to my country and the day he is popular here I start to worry because my country has generally a very bad taste for music :aah: So yes, I could have probably bought a a new car or two with the money I've used seeing his concerts but you can't measure everything with money (and yes my kids still have food to eat, don't worry). I guess I'm not so demanding fan, he doesn't need to come to me, I just want to see him performing, where ever it is. He is not really excited to see me at gigs (I'm a totally uninteresting in every possible way and can't sing or even dance) and usually ignores me 9 gigs out of 10 but somehow manage to say something random but so sweet using his most adorable and special voice at that 10th time and I always think yes, I might do ten more gigs and totally stop after that (just to do something more useful). Sometimes I tell him if loved something especially but he doesn't much care (who said he is interested in hearing our opinions, lol), so most times it's like

-thanks, that was good one

-yeah, I see you later

-yeah

:doh: But what can I say, he will see me later no matter how many clown things he is doing as long as I enjoy the gigs and love his songs and I do love the new album a lot, it's definitely his best so far, imo. And I'm loving the tour, the venues are special and last night at Casino de Paris was just so perfectly Mika (fancy venue, him starting and looking so smart in his new outfit and finally sweating and jumping up and down during LT :lmfao:) Paris still loves him :wub2: There will be the 4th album some day and hopefully some gigs and at least festivals every year if he doesn't decide to stay home and just write for other artists (which would make me sad just for my own sake). We will see.

He is not coming to my country and the day he is popular here I start to worry because my country has generally a very bad taste for music :aah:

Couldn't agree more. :naughty: And yes, I do moan about him not coming here but that's only because as a student I can't afford traveling to other countries to see him nor does my study schedule allow it.

I haven't lost all hope of seeing him in Helsinki again though. Loads of indie bands go to unexpected countries. :teehee: It's only a matter of time and Mika fans are usually kind of used to waiting for things to happen. :naughty: Then again I've gotten the impression that it's been a while since he's been to other Scandinavian countries (excluding Denmark and forth-coming Iceland), so if whoever organises these things thinks not including the Northern Europe to his tour is a good idea, :dunno: .

EDIT: Sorry, I do realise I'm a bit off-topic but I just needed to get that out of my system. :teehee:

Edited by flyingkites

Technically I can afford it but the price of travel has become so outrageous it's not justifiable to spend it on seeing a concert anymore..

Doesn't his sweetness justify it for you? :pinkbow:

But thinking in positive... He is famous enough as to keep on performing for a couple of years more, cause as he said "maybe I just sold 4 millions of copies of my last album, but I´ve been touring the world and I´ve sold a lot more of 4 millions of tickets, so...."

I find it hard to believe that he sold 4 million copies of his last album and I doubt he sold 4 million tickets for his own unless one includes the attendance of festivals he was only one of the performers at :dunno:

I don´t think that he needs to sell this or that amount of albums to keep his contract with Universal. .:

I think he does.

Or even if it´s true, and he needs to sell 4 millions, and then he doesn´t get it... what happens?? nothing. It doesn´t mean that he wouldn´t be able to record a new album anymore. He has enough money as to produce his own next album and then promotion it.:

He won't be able to use the same distribution channels anymore, meaning that the record won't be available in the stores. Should he record something without a major contract you could still buy it from MFC, of course, and at his own small gigs but he'd even find it difficult to get promoters organize concerts for him. Without a contract he wouldn't get exposure in the media unless he starts going out with Justin Bieber.

At the same time, it looks like he can always release a new album in France with Label Barclay.

You may be but is he?

And I'm afraid I am not going to spend another several years just waiting around while he does all these things that I'm not interested in, waiting for a new album. I don't care about French Christmas songs or Madonna songs or the theme music for an amusement park I will never attend or collaborations with Louboutin, etc. Mika's current "amount of fame" in the English speaking world means that my days as an active Mika fan are coming to an end..

During the inactive period we did not stop to be Mika fans but were simply moaning about Mika not being active, weren't we? True it won't be that exciting the second time so perhaps we can go and hibernate now to return in 5 years... :roftl:

:lmfao:

You can't deny you are a Mika fan :roftl:

I've always thought to myself, "well its up to Mika. Its his choice and life and its not up to us to tell him what to do." But sometimes, I confess, I was a bit annoyed with him playing a clown on a Loubi vid in France and having nothing happening in the UK.

I think maybe he spreads himself too thin. But again, its his choice.

yes, to both. He needs to live with the consequences though.

It was not about the endorsement, it was about the song being awesome and stading out from the rest. (Plus, great video as well) It worked for Mika once, with Grace Kelly. His success on that has worn off, so he'd need other awesome stuff to get people hooked again. When the first news of the album arrived I expected a total re-launch of him with TOOL leading as a single but it never happened.

Edited by suzie