Why is Mika Boycotted in the UK?

Marilyn Mastin

Nope... not bored at all!

I like lots of people and they don't have to bribe me... I sometimes wonder if the people that like me have been bribed though :teehee:

And apologies for being off topic :teehee:

Well, no-one's every bribed me to like you. They can try if they like though:mf_rosetinted:

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just wanted to post this email I wrote to BBCR1

I titled it - Request pls from a music aficionado

First of all, what you must know is that I know when a song will succeed or not.

First hear usually if it's really good (like Tainted Love). Trust me, I know my music. At 54, I'm still picking them and love pop music.

Here are my two picks for success: Ully Murs - Troublemaker (didn't need Flo)

and Mika - Stardust, Origin of Love, or Underwater

What's the difference? Why the hell aren't you playing Mika on Radio 1 and have him over on Radio 2? I don't listen to Radio 2, it's too mellow for me, but I do listen to Radio 1. Mika is so much better in those three songs than anything off Robbie's new album. Come on, his latest single is shyt. It's a kids rhyme.

Just saying, I don't know if you all are going all 'clear channel' lately (as in DJ's have no choice as to what to play and are forced to promote certain "artists" by management. Note: kei$ha, for example) but putting Mika on R2 is the wrong place for him. He's a R1 artist.

Might I remind you of the piece Grimmers did on his last CD???? That was great. His new release, The Origin of Love, is way better. Off "the Boy who.." , I really only liked Rain and We are Golden. Off his new one, I like almost all of them.

Thank you in advance for your reconsideration. I love to listen to R1, but want to hear my Mika too!

I'm writing of my own free will, just as a listener and as a Mika, and music lover.

Done :thumb_yello:

stationlogo276x155.jpg

NOTES from Radio Creme Brulee about 'weighting' the Poll Votes :

A quick FYI:

Votes are being "weighted" based on the country that the vote comes from.

These weights are based on the percentage of Radio Creme Brulee listening

that comes from each country.

Currently, highest "weights" are being assigned to votes from the

US, Mexico, Spain, and Canada

since these countries represent the highest percentage of listening and

overall brand engagement with Radio Creme Brulee.

We are assigning weights to make sure that the poll results reflect

Radio Creme Brulee's listener base.

Yes, we wanted the points to reflect our listeners base -

as opposed to being a contest of Fan clubs and street teams.

Based on this rating system, I would not be surprised

if "Underwater" by Mika ends up leading the list.

Edited by A. Clay

I don't know what/if they will reply. I received a response that said they read them all but don't always respond. I like Robbie Williams, I do, but his single "Candy" is crap. Anything by Mika blows that song away. If RW has a place on R1, why not Mika.

I don't know what/if they will reply. I received a response that said they read them all but don't always respond. I like Robbie Williams, I do, but his single "Candy" is crap. Anything by Mika blows that song away. If RW has a place on R1, why not Mika.

But they're not playing RW on Radio 1 anymore ... I know this for a fact ... one cos' it was in the papers cos' Candy was number one without any Radio 1 airplay ... and Robbie mentioned in concert on Thursday after playing it ... he said who needs Radio 1 ... and then when the crowd cheered he added though they had been fantastic during his career and he guessed that everything had to come to an end at some point and actually thanked them ... so it's not just Mika they won't play :dunno:

The thing about Candy is that it's catchy. I didn't like it at all but it was played ALL THE TIME when I was listening to Q-music to get tickets for Mika's showcase. And well, I came to like it... I even started to sing it without even realizing it..

With Mika, I think the songs that have been released so far aren't THAT catchy. I really love Underwater but the chorus isn't strong enough if you compare with Candy :(

The proof is that I have noooo idea what Candy is about *have never paid real attention to the meaning of this song*... For Underwater, the meaning of the song is quite important, I think...

After I read this :

Robbie-Williams---Album-S-008.jpg

Grimshaw 'total nob' for calling Robbie Williams too old for Radio 1

Magic DJ Neil Fox in Twitter tirade after rival breakfast host defends station's decision to omit Candy from playlist

• Should Robbie Williams be off Radio 1's playlist? - poll

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/nov/06/nick-grimshaw-robbie-williams-radio-1

I tweeted BBC Radio 1 asking them to explain to me

why they don't play Mika Music.

Was it perhaps, I said, that MIKA is TOO YOUNG?

Edited by A. Clay

After I read this :

Robbie-Williams---Album-S-008.jpg

Grimshaw 'total nob' for calling Robbie Williams too old for Radio 1

Magic DJ Neil Fox in Twitter tirade after rival breakfast host defends station's decision to omit Candy from playlist

• Should Robbie Williams be off Radio 1's playlist? - poll

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/nov/06/nick-grimshaw-robbie-williams-radio-1

I tweeted BBC Radio 1 asking them to explain to me

why they don't play Mika Music.

Was it perhaps, I said, that MIKA is TOO YOUNG?

I've been tweeting R1 for months, but I can't keep doing it, mostly, on my own. I've said on here that foreign fans could RT the tweets to R1 if they see any. The UK fans should be tweeting them themselves.

Candy is rubbish! I used to like RW back-in-the-day, about the time of the mileniuuuuuuuum, but I'm not so struck on him now.

I know R1 didn't play Robbie's song, but other radio stations must have. I know R2 played Celebrate, but maybe not often enough.

I know people say Origin and Uw are not strong songs, but trust me, they're way better than other things on the radio right now and deserve to be played.

People are talking about Stardust as a single. I think Overrated would be better. It kicks ass and would grab the young peoples' attention. My son loves it and he's not a Mika fan.

That's just stupid. Stupid. Stupid. They are very selective about who is "too old" and who isn't, now aren't they?

Chris Martin from Coldplay is 35, Gwen Stefani is over 40, and let's not even get into how old Mick and gang are.

Turning clear channel. And Grimmers is a nob.

That's just stupid. Stupid. Stupid. They are very selective about who is "too old" and who isn't, now aren't they?

Chris Martin from Coldplay is 35, Gwen Stefani is over 40, and let's not even get into how old Mick and gang are.

Turning clear channel. And Grimmers is a nob.

It is stupid, and I think selective too.

Greg James and Fearne Cotton are massive Coldplay fans, and I'm just betting when their next album is out, it will get played on R1, despite this "too old for the station dynamic" nonsense.

It's very 'politically incorrect' to make decisions based on age :

It's called 'ageism' and yes it's stupid as well. I think it will bite

'em in the butt.

Well the good thing about this fuss over Robbie, is that its showing what tools (no offence Mika) these pricksters really are. Maybe loads of listeners will desert them in favour of other radio stations. Hopefully, somewhere that plays Mika.

Its a shame the fuss over Radio One wasn't about Mika though.

But what's helped Robbie a lot imho is Gary Barlow. He's included Robbie on all of the charity/olympic concerts he's organised, and Robbie has sung with Take That too. Therefore, he's always remained in peoples' minds in the UK. He also had a huge fanbase with his own, and the TT fans.

Mika has not had those advantages, so he's completely DISadvantaged

They are talking about Mika on Radio 1 but not for the reasons we'd hoped. A show called Diasterpieces. :aah:

Anyway offers some opinions why Mika has struggled in the UK since TBWKTM. Starts at 18:45.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p1vys

seems no good to me :aah: any news about it :dunno: I don't heard the program.

They are talking about Mika on Radio 1 but not for the reasons we'd hoped. A show called Diasterpieces. :aah:

Anyway offers some opinions why Mika has struggled in the UK since TBWKTM. Starts at 18:45.

well that was interesting...and trying to be objective all they said sounds true (right up until the 'u don't want more than one supermarket pop album' bit)...in retrospect things are so much clearer :aah: TBWKTM is my least fave mika album and there're at least 5 songs i tend to skip on it...so that creates the sad situation of a second album that the british public were 'fickle' about, but a great third album they would love, i think, it they knew it existed :aah:

btw, interesting how below the program link u can listen to the songs they play on the program except for mika and robbie williams (who have separate links) :sneaky2:

Thanks for this Christine.

I found it interesting.

well that was interesting...and trying to be objective all they said sounds true (right up until the 'u don't want more than one supermarket pop album' bit)...in retrospect things are so much clearer :aah: TBWKTM is my least fave mika album and there're at least 5 songs i tend to skip on it...so that creates the sad situation of a second album that the british public were 'fickle' about, but a great third album they would love, i think, it they knew it existed :aah:

btw, interesting how below the program link u can listen to the songs they play on the program except for mika and robbie williams (who have separate links) :sneaky2:

+1

Says Kath lazily.:naughty: No, but seriously, I agree with all your points Nas :thumb_yello:

I've been tweeting R1 for months, but I can't keep doing it, mostly, on my own. I've said on here that foreign fans could RT the tweets to R1 if they see any. The UK fans should be tweeting them themselves.

Candy is rubbish! I used to like RW back-in-the-day, about the time of the mileniuuuuuuuum, but I'm not so struck on him now.

I know R1 didn't play Robbie's song, but other radio stations must have. I know R2 played Celebrate, but maybe not often enough.

I know people say Origin and Uw are not strong songs, but trust me, they're way better than other things on the radio right now and deserve to be played.

People are talking about Stardust as a single. I think Overrated would be better. It kicks ass and would grab the young peoples' attention. My son loves it and he's not a Mika fan.

Marilyn,

I keep thinking about this post and I think you're right. It needs a very edgy and slick video to go with it but it could really do the trick.

I was one of the whingers going on about the 'other' Overrated and critizied him for touching an 'untouchable' song (it's always been my fave Mika song) but I now really love it so am whinging no longer! :naughty:

If only someone, somewhere, would listen to us.....sigh.