Why is Mika Boycotted in the UK?

Marilyn Mastin

That's what has put so many people off and it's frustrating because he WAS an English artist. If he had been a French artist from the beginning I never would have had any real interest in him. I love the French language and the French people and many aspects of French culture. But it's not my culture. English speakers already have a very strong shared sense of pop culture. Our music and movies and television dominate our pop culture and there is no need or desire to look far outside of that because we are such a huge group. If Americans want something "foreign" they only need to look to Britain or Australia and vice versa.

When I was in New York I paused every time I spoke to someone before remembering "yes, everyone speaks English." It was the weirdest thing for me to be in the US and to have this subconscious fear that I couldn't communicate properly with anyone in their own language because I was there to see Mika. I hadn't been to a Mika gig where I wasn't in the minority for years. Even at the points gig in London Silver and I were the only native English speakers. I mean this isn't a BAD thing obviously but it is just so WEIRD for us. Mika is an American who has lived almost his whole life in the UK and when LICM came out there was nothing even remotely French about him. His songs were entirely in English and he looked like an American hipster. Even his accent was very American at that time.

I think if the change had felt more natural I could have embraced it more but it seems like nothing but pandering to me. I just don't believe he's got this overwhelming desire to "write" songs in French. And the first clue is that he does not write them, Doriand does! :doh:. Also when he speaks about his creative drive with this album he just dismisses the French songs. He talks of writer's block and how he broke through it to make this wonderfully collaborative joy chasing album, etc. But this process did not even begin until the French songs were already in the can.

Obviously it makes sense to keep your core audience sweet but all of this time spent pandering to France when he should have been releasing an English album has just ensured he was forgotten by the English speaking world. Perhaps it was going to happen anyway but when he disappeared for 3 years there was virtually no other outcome to be expected.

Yes, I felt that at the time. He released EMD in France, and I still believe he should have given it a chance in the UK. He had nothing to loose and foreign songs have sometimes made it big here, if they were catchy enough. That 'Gangnam Style' song is proof of this.

But if not EMD he should have released something in English for us.

I did feel very disappointed by Mika concentrating only on France, and I felt it was not a good idea to do that. On the other hand, I understood that France really loved him in a way that the UK never had, so I couldn't really blame him for basking in the glory of their love.

But he really should have tried to woo the UK again. However, because he didn't do that, he left himself with an Everest-sized task in the UK, once the album came out. He left himself with too much to do.

But the songs should speak for themselves. I still think TOOL is the best album he's done so far. I only hope the new single will help get Mika back in touch with the UK once more.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yup. British singers have their 'Britishness' in their cell and their music and I can easily feel that. In Mika's case, simply I can't. IMO for British ppl, Mika's music might be very alien to them... or very opposite to British music.

I think when you consider Mika to be 'French' rather than British has nothing to do with a particular culture. It is more about Mika being rootless in music and image. His music is most certainly not French. It is traditional Anglo-Saxon pop music, European cabaret from the 30s and some classical roots. That's why he's been compared to Freddie Mercury right from the beginning.

His only French part are his shoes that took him to an enchanted forest away from the real world in 2008.

Edited by suzie

After reading all the posts here I think there`s no boycotting actually....

It`s the simplest explanation of the album`s lack of success in the UK.

I think the situation will change after his forthcoming shows in Britain, after releasing of TOOL as a single.... Maybe Britain needs more time to reveal its feelings:blush-anim-cl:

After reading all the posts here I think there`s no boycotting actually....

It`s the simplest explanation of the album`s lack of success in the UK.

I think the situation will change after his forthcoming shows in Britain, after releasing of TOOL as a single.... Maybe Britain needs more time to reveal its feelings:blush-anim-cl:

Tbh there has been an utter shambles ever since We Are Golden. So now he's done a big, special effects vid for Uw, and Uw is only the single in France. I hope to goodness that they don't release the short film they made for Origin as the song's pop vid, as its not suitable for a pop vid. Its way too serious, more like a short Indie Movie and it would not appeal to a lot of tastes as a pop vid, even without the boobs.

I do love Origin as a song, and it could do really well, but it needs promotion. I've not seen one ad on TV for the album (I know some have) but I haven't and he needs to be on some high rated TV shows to sing it, and have interviews.

I hope this will happen.

Well, I know Charlie Winston had come to France because he mixes genders, he likes to mix music & theatre and I think Mika has the same problem. They don't restrein themselves to ONE kind of Art but try to extend their work to other areas... Same for Music, they both mix different types of sounds...

They both said that UK tended more to label everything and when something can't be labelled, well... that's often a problem to get promo there... That's why Charlie has moved to France and he doesn't regret it, I think. :') It's quite funny 'cause his bro*according to what I've heard* is pretty famous out there and a complete stranger here :naughty:

( I'm not saying Mika should move to France ;) Don't get me wrong~ )

I live in the UK and I noticed no stores are really selling his album, one supermarket was but now it's not there anymore :sneaky2: and it seems no one knows who MIKA is anymore, I'm forever wearing MIKA related clothes, merch, writing MIKA on my college work etc and people still ask me who he is even though they should know! I just wish he would get noticed more, he's soooo talented and The Origin Of Love is fantastic he deserves some kind of recognition of his achievements :thumb_yello: I think if his video was shown on TV often people would fall in love, it worked on me with the Grace Kelly video and I haven't looked back since! :teehee:

Another thing...I haven't seen ANY promo for the album except in Attitude magazine and well, not many people but that! So maybe if MIKA did some more promo, a tv advert on a music channel would draw everyone in!

I live in the UK and I noticed no stores are really selling his album, one supermarket was but now it's not there anymore :sneaky2: and it seems no one knows who MIKA is anymore, I'm forever wearing MIKA related clothes, merch, writing MIKA on my college work etc and people still ask me who he is even though they should know! I just wish he would get noticed more, he's soooo talented and The Origin Of Love is fantastic he deserves some kind of recognition of his achievements :thumb_yello: I think if his video was shown on TV often people would fall in love, it worked on me with the Grace Kelly video and I haven't looked back since! :teehee:

Another thing...I haven't seen ANY promo for the album except in Attitude magazine and well, not many people but that! So maybe if MIKA did some more promo, a tv advert on a music channel would draw everyone in!

This is what I'm noticing here too. You can't see Mika's album anywhere. It hasn't been advertised properly and hardly any radio stations are playing his songs.

I blame his record company and what passes for his PR team, for this. They're letting him down badly.

I do think, if he had more promo and advertising, the UK would love him. But they can't love what they don't hear, or see.

This is part of what I meant in an earlier post, about it being an utter shambles. He needs to hire some new people and sack the ones who are not doing their job properly.

You say terrible things. That upsets me(. Shame shame shame.

All music stores in Moscow sell the album - that`s me on a pic at the moment i bought it.

post-21876-142983698676_thumb.jpg

The biggest Bavarian radio station Br 3 played Mika 49 x during October, 39x Celebrate, 2x WAG, 1x Relax, 1x BG, 1x EMD, 1x Emely, 1x TOOL, 1x Drunk, 1x Stardust, 1x GK. I think this is not bad :wink2:

Cool! Europe Loves Mika..! :wub2:

This is what I'm noticing here too. You can't see Mika's album anywhere. It hasn't been advertised properly and hardly any radio stations are playing his songs.

I blame his record company and what passes for his PR team, for this. They're letting him down badly.

I do think, if he had more promo and advertising, the UK would love him. But they can't love what they don't hear, or see.

This is part of what I meant in an earlier post, about it being an utter shambles. He needs to hire some new people and sack the ones who are not doing their job properly.

I thought those kind of things too. His UK Promo team should've taken Mika to famous TV show, or some programs to show Mika's theatrical talent and live performance..! I remember he's performance on Canada show early this year and it was totally ace... Think Mika shines on those kind of shows. :wub2:

I thought those kind of things too. His UK Promo team should've taken Mika to famous TV show, or some programs to show Mika's theatrical talent and live performance..! I remember he's performance on Canada show early this year and it was totally ace... Think Mika shines on those kind of shows. :wub2:

Exactly. He should have been on X Factor, Jonathan Ross and Jools Holland. He should also be on the Children In Need night. Not just talking about pajamas on Blue Peter.

If I had any say in it, I'd sack the whole PR team and get better people to do the job. People with Mika's career and best interests at heart. That's anyone from MFC.

Exactly. He should have been on X Factor, Jonathan Ross and Jools Holland. He should also be on the Children In Need night. Not just talking about pajamas on Blue Peter.

If I had any say in it, I'd sack the whole PR team and get better people to do the job. People with Mika's career and best interests at heart. That's anyone from MFC.

????? talking about pajamas on Blue Peter ... have I missed something :lmfao:

I've said this soooooo many times!!:naughty:

but he seems to see nothing wrong with them and what they're doing soooo...:dunno:

But that's a two-side thing. This shows need to want him in their shows, too. And if he isn't "the big thing" they don't want him. And we don't know if the PR team didn't "offer" him to such shows or if the shows said "no". But keeping in mind that he did smaller TV- and radio-shows I would rather expect the latter :(

I know, it's a vicious circle, because he needs such shows to get the "big thing" again. But there are thousands of musicians who would like to play there if the could...

We discussed an article a year or two ago about how a UK band's second album didn't make it into the top 10 and they were immediately written off because TV shows won't book artists if their album has flopped. And in this day and age not being in the top 10 is seen as a flop. Lots of people pooh-poohed it and said Mika was going to make a great album and everything would just magically work out. But I'm not sure how much his PR team can do to get him on shows like Jools Holland if they don't want him. :dunno: They have huge clients like Adele and Jessie J so it's not as if they don't know what they're doing.

I'm sure there is all kinds of PR advice that could have been given to Mika over the years that could have turned him into a more successful record seller in some markets but he wants to do things his own way. I mean Justin Bieber's team is doing everything right but if you follow that model then you end up with...Justin Bieber. :naughty:

We discussed an article a year or two ago about how a UK band's second album didn't make it into the top 10 and they were immediately written off because TV shows won't book artists if their album has flopped. And in this day and age not being in the top 10 is seen as a flop. Lots of people pooh-poohed it and said Mika was going to make a great album and everything would just magically work out. But I'm not sure how much his PR team can do to get him on shows like Jools Holland if they don't want him. :dunno: They have huge clients like Adele and Jessie J so it's not as if they don't know what they're doing.

I'm sure there is all kinds of PR advice that could have been given to Mika over the years that could have turned him into a more successful record seller in some markets but he wants to do things his own way. I mean Justin Bieber's team is doing everything right but if you follow that model then you end up with...Justin Bieber. :naughty:

Well that's definitely something I don't want ... I love Mika cos' he is different and unique ... I don't want him to be like a JLS type band or artist who have just released their 4th album since 2009 ... yeah ... one a year is good for their fans I guess and is good for them as it keeps them in the limelight ... but their stuff is written for them ... they just have to go in and record vocals ... I'd never want him to rush things and end up with something that just doesn't cut it for me ... I don't ever want him to water down what makes him special ... yes I'd love him to be more successful here ... if I could find a fairy or a magic lamp I'd wish for that ... but not at any cost ... I want him to be successful on his own terms ... not on mine or others

Whoever does PR for Cher Lloyd was working hard she was given a lot of high profile promo in the US.

I agree!! I think she's perfection, so when I saw a whole bus load of her ads around my town, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Mikes crew could take notes.

Well that's definitely something I don't want ... I love Mika cos' he is different and unique ... I don't want him to be like a JLS type band or artist who have just released their 4th album since 2009 ... yeah ... one a year is good for their fans I guess and is good for them as it keeps them in the limelight ... but their stuff is written for them ... they just have to go in and record vocals ... I'd never want him to rush things and end up with something that just doesn't cut it for me ... I don't ever want him to water down what makes him special ... yes I'd love him to be more successful here ... if I could find a fairy or a magic lamp I'd wish for that ... but not at any cost ... I want him to be successful on his own terms ... not on mine or others

I think, what you and @Christine have said is true. The problem is, that the things which make Mika special to us. Being unique, not some fame-hungry prat who'd do anything to get noticed, and not being someone who gets others to write songs so that he doesn't have to disappear every year or so, or the fact that he does what he believes is right for his career, regardless of whether he's only working on something exclusive to one country. Those are the things we love about him, but they are also what holds him back.

Its frustrating. I keep hoping he'll do something which really gets him known again.

I think he just needs either a good lucky break, or someone to believe in him who can help get him back where he deserves to be. Or even better than that. He seems to know a lot of people and he draws artists to him, so something might come of all the contacts he has. Lets hope so.

I keep reading this thread..............and agree with most of what is said but I don't really have anything else to add that hasn't already been said. The music business is a funny old thing - who knows what may happen in the future?

I do agree though with Christine's point from a couple of pages ago about how Mika's image is now a lot more French and he probably would not have had the same appeal (for a lot of people anyway) if that had been the case back in the early days.

I'm with Laurel though - he is what he is, on his own terms. And if I am the only one in my town that appreciates that well then so be it.

Btw - I know that Radio2, and Ken Bruce in particular, are about the only radio station in the UK that are palying TOOL but he played 'Drunk' the other day and Origin today :thumb_yello:

Whoever does PR for Cher Lloyd was working hard she was given a lot of high profile promo in the US.

Yes have you seen the remarkable image revamp she underwent between the UK and US markets with the very same song? She doesn't even look like the same "artist"!! :shocked:

In the UK version she is s a sophisticated twentysomething:

[YOUTUBE]inwAc-ZBpx0[/YOUTUBE]

In the US version she is a naughty sassy teen:

[YOUTUBE]LPgvNlrBfb0[/YOUTUBE]

But this is what I meant earlier. I'm sure Mika has worked with people who would tell him "you need to do X to appeal to the US market". I think he just isn't interested in other people's ideas about his image, whereas people like Justin Bieber and Cher Lloyd will do what they're told.

Being unique, not some fame-hungry prat who'd do anything to get noticed, and not being someone who gets others to write songs so that he doesn't have to disappear every year or so

Well actually I think that is an excuse. Great artists like the Beatles also produced albums every year. Mika said himself that it only took him 7 months to write TOOL. And yes he needs to spend almost a year supporting the record so the cycle is longer these days but he also spends a lot of time doing extra curricular activities. :naughty: We all assumed he went off in February of 2008 to make LICM II but what he was really doing was working on clown costumes and getting custom fitted for Louboutins and hadn't even started writing yet. For the past year or two it sounds like he is taking on all kinds of projects that have nothing to do with his own albums or even with his shows.

Of course he has the freedom to live his life anyway he wants. I just think it's time to stop blaming everyone else. These are his choices. Of course it would be great if he could turn up out of the blue every several years and have a blockbuster album but it just doesn't work like that. Justin Bieber makes music, tours and promotes himself morning noon and night, 6 days a week for years on end. That's why he's still huge and he hasn't fizzled out like people predicted he would when he was 15. He's not off remodelling houses in Miami or making French music that 90% of his potential fanbase will not listen to or doing the music for theme parks, or producing albums for other artists, etc. He is making his own music (at least music with his name on it, whether he writes it or not) and promoting himself - all the time.

The only young artist I can think of who is truly free to do whatever she wants is Adele. But I think she has tapped into the US market in a way that Mika never could because her music is American. It's a combination of old school R&B, jazz and country - music genres that were born in America and still dominate people's tastes, young and old. She's also a powerhouse diva vocalist and she's pretty much standing alone in that regard since the time of Whitney/Mariah/Celine is 20 years in the past now.

I'm with Laurel though - he is what he is, on his own terms. And if I am the only one in my town that appreciates that well then so be it.

Personally I think all this "artistic integrity" is a load of rubbish. It's pop music and not Mozart. But clearly he wants to spend a large chunk of his life not actively being a pop star and I certainly can't blame him for that. He can make a very good living doing other things and he's managed to escape the most negative aspects of fame so hopefully he's found a balance that works for him.