How kids experience Mika's music

nenartus

To cheer up a situation a little I would like to show you how my 10 and 11 old pupils felt "Any Other World" and how they translated this song to lines and colours. This was their assignment for an art class in October. Actually I'm doing this class for years with some other music and this time I forgot to bring a CD. I had this instrumental version in my lap top and decided to play it for them instead of the planned song. I think it was a success! What do you think?

[YOUTUBE]OXTcSJDFfG0[/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To cheer up a situation a little I would like to show you how my 10 and 11 old pupils felt "Any Other World" and how they translated this song to lines and colours. This was their assignment for an art class in October. Actually I'm doing this class for years with some other music and this time I forgot to bring a CD. I had this instrumental version in my lap top and decided to play it for them instead of the planned song. I think it was a success! What do you think?

I've never actually heard an instrumental to that ... thank you for posting :thumb_yello:

That is such a great exercise Nenartus and I love the results.

I have never experienced music in visual terms like so many people do. I mean not with art and colours and sets and costumes and all of that. For me it's all about emotion and movement (dance) or empathy with the singer or musician. That's why I am fascinated with solo artists like Mika and Adele and I couldn't care less what is happening with Mika's band or set. In the early days I couldn't even see anything but Mika. I've heard Tim worked for Adele so I've probably seen him, maybe even several times but I would have never noticed anyone but her.

I don't know if that's just how my mind naturally works or it's because my early music exposure was pre-MTV video years and I often listened to music in my room after lights-out so there literally was no colour. Anyway I think it's a good exercise to open up kids' minds to the visual side of experiencing music. :thumb_yello:

This is how kids react here whenever mika is played...

oh_those_crazy_kids_640_34.jpg

Is that Mika in a blue balls bull costume?:shocked::mf_rosetinted:

I've never actually heard an instrumental to that ... thank you for posting :thumb_yello:

I found it here, but now I can't find the link to post you.:teehee:

That is such a great exercise Nenartus and I love the results.

I have never experienced music in visual terms like so many people do. I mean not with art and colours and sets and costumes and all of that. For me it's all about emotion and movement (dance) or empathy with the singer or musician. That's why I am fascinated with solo artists like Mika and Adele and I couldn't care less what is happening with Mika's band or set. In the early days I couldn't even see anything but Mika. I've heard Tim worked for Adele so I've probably seen him, maybe even several times but I would have never noticed anyone but her.

I don't know if that's just how my mind naturally works or it's because my early music exposure was pre-MTV video years and I often listened to music in my room after lights-out so there literally was no colour. Anyway I think it's a good exercise to open up kids' minds to the visual side of experiencing music. :thumb_yello:

My early music exposure was pre-MTV too. I still rarely watch videos. :aah: But I do experience music visually, and every time I do this exercise with kids I'm thrilled how concentrated they are and really trying to connect music with lines and colours. They do it with such ease that I'm always surprised. Without any problems, very freely and every child. It's a very joyful class for me. I used to play Jan Garbarek

to them and they were always giggling while the music was on. It's terrible what kids these days here listen and this kind of music is a surprise for them, but after a while they start to enjoy and react wonderfully. With Mika it was different. No giggling at all. They took song very seriously and thought from the start it is a beautiful song.

Did all the kids draw something? I ask, because I remember a teacher trying this with my class when I was about that age, and I didn't draw anything. I don't associate colors/shapes with music at all, and I was really angry and frustrated that I was being asked to so something that made absolutely no sense to me at the time. When I was older I learned about synesthesia, so I understand now what the point of it was. But as that's a fairly rare condition, I still think it was unfair. :blush-anim-cl:

Is that Mika in a blue balls bull costume?:shocked::mf_rosetinted:

I found it here, but now I can't find the link to post you.:teehee:

animal costume, blue balls...HOLLY JOHNNY, it must be :shocked::mf_rosetinted:

about the instrumental version of AOW, someone posted links to download of the LICM instrumentals versions here, but the links weren't working anymore the last time I went there, but I still have them with me :fisch:

Edited by BiaIchihara

IThey do it with such ease that I'm always surprised. Without any problems, very freely and every child. It's a very joyful class for me.

That's really cool.

Did all the kids draw something? I ask, because I remember a teacher trying this with my class when I was about that age, and I didn't draw anything. I don't associate colors/shapes with music at all, and I was really angry and frustrated that I was being asked to so something that made absolutely no sense to me at the time. When I was older I learned about synesthesia, so I understand now what the point of it was. But as that's a fairly rare condition, I still think it was unfair. :blush-anim-cl:

That probably would have been me too. :aah:

I can barely wrap my head around the concept of synesthesia. But perhaps true synesthesia is just the far end of a normal spectrum for people. And I guess we're at the other end. :naughty:

EDIT: Another one of my favourite singers is Paolo Nutini and he literally does not open his eyes when he performs so I imagine he is at our end of the spectrum too.

My son...11 years old :cool:...keeps telling me he doesn't like Mika at ALL...:blink:

Yesterday...he was playing some game at the pc...headphones on his head under his hoody...:teehee:

[YOUTUBE]BUGg7eljOlM&hd=1[/YOUTUBE]

Seems to me...as he does know some lyrics...he has been listening a few times already after all :fisch:

I understand that, but first you have to talk with children about lines and colours, about character of lines, what do they express and how and the same about colours. They don't jump straight into this exercise without any knowledge about elements of art (I'm not sure if it's the right expression in English:blush-anim-cl:). They are prepared well for this. Then we listen to the song and talk about it. How is it composed, is it slow or fast, silent or loud, is it soft or does it have any contrasts... Believe me they all enjoy this class and they are very proud with results. It's not synesthesia, they have to think about work, but there's a huge amount of instinct in it and that's what makes these works so beautiful'

My son...11 years old :cool:...keeps telling me he doesn't like Mika at ALL...:blink:

Yesterday...he was playing some game at the pc...headphones on his head under his hoody...:teehee:

Seems to me...as he does know some lyrics...he has been listening a few times already after all :fisch:

:aah:This is great!! My younger brother says the EXACT same thing, but I'm constantly catching him singin Rain. They're about the same age. Funny how things line this work, isn't it. :)

I'm impressed, those kids are good ! Their drawings are similar but so different, because everybody experience the music in a different way. I wish I did this when I was a kid too. I feel the music, I can draw while I'm listening to music and after, I look at my job and I see the music through the art. (messy explanation sorry)

I love the music, I was playing in an harmony (a big music band with a lot of instruments) and Any Other World would have been AMAZING to play ! So sad that I'm not playing music anymore. :tears: Is it possible to have the soundtrack of all the LICM album since the links are not working anymore? :pray:

Here's a drawing I did but I don't really like it, it's not what I means when I way that you can feel the music... But it's the only one I took a picture of it so here it is. :aah:

DSC028172.jpg

Awwww!!!!

AWWW!:wub2: Sweet!

He didn't know it was Mika's song. :mf_rosetinted: