Gifts at Concerts?

PemberlyPenmanship

I'm so incredibly excited because my friend and I were able to snag tickets to see Mika in the spring! :naughty:

I've heard fans like to give him gifts sometimes; I was thinking about making him a small cross-stitch (needlepoint) because that's one of my hobbies and maybe give him a card or something. Maybe. What do you guys think is appropriate? Have any of you given him anything in person? Do you know if he has any rules of etiquette about this? :bleh:(I know he has a fanmail address)...

I've been dreaming of having the opportunity to see him, so screwing up or being embarrassed would suck! :mf_rosetinted:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so incredibly excited because my friend and I were able to snag tickets to see Mika in the spring! :naughty:

I've heard fans like to give him gifts sometimes; I was thinking about making him a small cross-stitch (needlepoint) because that's one of my hobbies and maybe give him a card or something. Maybe. What do you guys think is appropriate? Have any of you given him anything in person? Do you know if he has any rules of etiquette about this? :bleh:(I know he has a fanmail address)...

I've been dreaming of having the opportunity to see him, so screwing up or being embarrassed would suck! :mf_rosetinted:

Good luck - I hope it all works out for you. I think that having something to give him is a good thing if you are nervous about meeting him as it gives you something to focus on - and to talk about. As Guy says - he does enjoy getting gifts - especially ones which a lot of thought/work has gone into. :thumb_yello: Maybe a cross stich which is realted to that particular gig in some way?

Remember though that although Mika comes out to meet the fans at probably 99% of gigs it can't be guarenteed.

Hope it all goes well for you. :thumb_yello:

I've never handed directly my presents for him....

Sometimes I sent my present to his management office.

Other times when Mika came to Japan, I asked to deliver to the local promoter ( my present was too large to bring after concert )

Although I couldn't see his reaction, I knew Mika liked my presents....:blush-anim-cl:

There is another American fan who has given him cross stitch and of course many people give him gifts all the time so don't worry about etiquette. As long as you don't proposition him or anything in the card it should be fine. :teehee:

Remember though that although Mika comes out to meet the fans at probably 99% of gigs it can't be guarenteed.

The other thing is American fans can be a little rambunctious to say the least and if everyone mobs Mika when he comes out it may be difficult to have a moment with him. You may have to just quickly hand it to him or even his manager. But his manager will give him the gift so don't worry about having to pass it off if you really want to give him something.

Which show are you going to? Anyway good luck!

I've usuallly given him gifts just to make him smile or laugh, sometimes hand made, other times just something I found in the shops which I'd think would amuse him. :) That's the reason I buy/make gifts for my friends too, just to see them smile.

Hope you get your moment with him and get to give him your gift! Just have fun with it, I'm sure he'll appreciate whatever you decide to give him (although sometimes he can be a bit of a diva and not want to accept certain things :naughty: )

Don´t give him Teddybears or stuff like that, he hates that and makes fun about it. I saw it three times where he got animals and threw it away in a not nice way :wink2:

I gave him my gift last gig in November, it wasn't a handmade gift, I bought chocolates and some tipycal desserts from where I live and he was very grateful and happy to receive them.:wub2: I think he really appreciates our gifts and I felt an inmense pleasure to give them to him. I'll do it again next gig for sure :wink2:

Edited by Mikasister

Don´t give him Teddybears or stuff like that, he hates that and makes fun about it. I saw it three times where he got animals and threw it away in a not nice way :wink2:

Hmm - isn't that strange, and also unpolite!? :shocked:

I thought he loved animals, he has told so in interviews - hasn't he!?

Imagine all the "animals" he brought onstage!:blink:

And the day in London Zoo, long time ago - where he even got his own two penguins :blush-anim-cl: etc etc

Love,love

me

I gave him my gift last gig in November, it wasn't a handmade gift, I bought chocolates and some tipycal desserts from where I live and he was very grateful and happy to receive them.:wub2: I think he really appreciates our gifts and I felt an inmense pleasure to give them to him. I'll do it again next gig for sure :wink2:

How lovely :blush-anim-cl: you're lucky ! - and I can easily understand how pleased you felt :thumb_yello:

Love,love

me

I presented him "matrioshka" and some Russian chocolate in November after the show in Paris for I came from Russia to these shows. He smiled when he saw "matrioshka" and said "Oh, Russian doll" and asked me some questions about the place I live :aah: I'm not sure he paid any attention to my chocolate but he liked my Russain doll for sure :blush-anim-cl: You can try to give him something specific for your country or city :wink2:

And the day in London Zoo, long time ago - where he even got his own two penguins :blush-anim-cl: etc etc

Love,love

me

well :naughty: even if you like something, after a while you get sick of it...

ex: you LOVE pizza... & everywhere you go, everyone feeds you pizza... after a while, you wouldn't appreciate it anymore :blush-anim-cl:

well :naughty: even if you like something, after a while you get sick of it...

ex: you LOVE pizza... & everywhere you go, everyone feeds you pizza... after a while, you wouldn't appreciate it anymore :blush-anim-cl:

:naughty: well, yes of course - but I thought he was too polite to throw away gifts like that, even he didn't like it - and I don't think he mom is too happy with this behaviour :doh: and the fans giving it, but feel stupid and embarrassed, imo

Love,love

me

I presented him "matrioshka" and some Russian chocolate in November after the show in Paris for I came from Russia to these shows. He smiled when he saw "matrioshka" and said "Oh, Russian doll" and asked me some questions about the place I live :aah: I'm not sure he paid any attention to my chocolate but he liked my Russain doll for sure :blush-anim-cl: You can try to give him something specific for your country or city :wink2:

That's what I did too - brought with me a speciality from this country, when he was in Oslo last time - but he didn't show up outside the hall ( at least not in reasonable time after the concert ) so I had to bring it with me back home :blink: But maybe the next time I will be more lucky :blush-anim-cl:

Later that night he was seen at a gay nightclub - close to my hotell :blush-anim-cl:

Love,love

me

in New York last time i handed him a plush corn that said "Nebraska" (where i'm from) on in it. he seemed to like it, he smiled and said something about it. wrapped around the plush corn was a bracelet with watches on it, he didn't say anything about that. so yeah, i echo what others have said & go with something from where you live, like something he couldnt usually get... unless you live in London i guess :aah:

:naughty: well, yes of course - but I thought he was too polite to throw away gifts like that, even he didn't like it - and I don't think he mom is too happy with this behaviour :doh: and the fans giving it, but feel stupid and embarrassed, imo

Love,love

me

He has acted impolite towards fans a few times, but I expected that from him (eventhough he's nice most of the time).

I don't appreciate that about him but he's a very special person :naughty:

And I'm sure he doesn't mean to be rude, although I don't excuse that kind of behavior in anyone, no matter how moody they get from touring and recieving the same gifts over and over again.

He has acted impolite towards fans a few times, but I expected that from him (eventhough he's nice most of the time).

I don't appreciate that about him but he's a very special person :naughty:

And I'm sure he doesn't mean to be rude, although I don't excuse that kind of behavior in anyone, no matter how moody they get from touring and recieving the same gifts over and over again.

No, there's no excuse, imo - even he might get both "sick and tired" about "stupid gifts" - and I would hardly believe my eyes if I saw it, cause to me he has always seemed to be the most polite, nice and sweat person of all - a very special popstar :wub2: and after all, these things are given by love, I suppose...

In all kind of jobs we have to behave - even we all can feel a need to both show the finger, and ask people to f... off - now and then :naughty:

Love,love

me

I think Mika is pretty gracious 99% of the time and considering how much ruder fans have been with him I'd say he's incredibly polite. People shout at him, flash off cameras inches from his eyes and shove things in his face and he still comes out almost every night and signs things and tries to talk to people if it's not a total mob scene.

I have received a very positive reaction from him for 3 gifts I gave or was involved with a group in giving so it was worth it to me. I can't make things by hand but if you give him something thoughtful instead of junk then he's not going to be rude to you. Let's face it, not much personal thought goes into a teddy bear or similar. Especially now that he's almost 30 years old.

I think Mika is pretty gracious 99% of the time and considering how much ruder fans have been with him I'd say he's incredibly polite. People shout at him, flash off cameras inches from his eyes and shove things in his face and he still comes out almost every night and signs things and tries to talk to people if it's not a total mob scene.

I have received a very positive reaction from him for 3 gifts I gave or was involved with a group in giving so it was worth it to me. I can't make things by hand but if you give him something thoughtful instead of junk then he's not going to be rude to you. Let's face it, not much personal thought goes into a teddy bear or similar. Especially now that he's almost 30 years old.

Thanks for telling this! :blush-anim-cl: - that's exactely what I've thought about him :wub2::thumb_yello:

Love,love

me

Indeed. I was at the Winter Wonderland in London before Christmas, and found a stall that sold ties made from wood, and they had bow ties. I took a chance on buying one to give Mika as a gift, and gave it to him in Manchester. I told him I wasn't sure if he'd like it, and he smiled and said he loved it, so you never know, it's always worth giving unusual gifts a go.:thumb_yello:

Indeed. I was at the Winter Wonderland in London before Christmas, and found a stall that sold ties made from wood, and they had bow ties. I took a chance on buying one to give Mika as a gift, and gave it to him in Manchester. I told him I wasn't sure if he'd like it, and he smiled and said he loved it, so you never know, it's always worth giving unusual gifts a go.:thumb_yello:

We gave him a pair of braces and he said sometimes he doesn't have the heart to tell people he doesn't like something. :teehee: He swore he really liked them and they would go in his "collection". I still don't know if he actually wore them or not but they were in every show on the last tour - being worn by different band members - so at least I know he didn't throw them out. :naughty:

Love,love

me

The first time I saw him react to those animals was in Colmar where a fan threw a pink donkey on stage. Mika took it showed it to the audience and asked what he was supposed to do with it, giving it to his dog but the dog would have more taste.... and then threw it away. I thought at that time " oh oh, now a fan heart is broken! "

The second time is here

[YOUTUBE]E3wOeUg7zs8[/YOUTUBE]

the third time was in Luxemburg with a little dog looking like Melachi and he was joking that it was dead before he threw it into the choir.

So he loves all kind of gifts but he hates these little animals :wink2:.

And yes it is rude of him because I feel for the fans who bought them and were proud to give them to him, they must have been very dissapointed. But I also can understand Mika who isn´t a child anymore ........

I have to admit that I stopped giving him things ages ago. I suppose if I saw something which I thought he might really like I would buy it but generally I just don't feel the need these days. But that's not to say I don't understand why people want to ... I did for the first couple of years.

The first time I saw him react to those animals was in Colmar where a fan threw a pink donkey on stage. Mika took it showed it to the audience and asked what he was supposed to do with it, giving it to his dog but the dog would have more taste.... and then threw it away. I thought at that time " oh oh, now a fan heart is broken! "

The second time is here

[YOUTUBE]E3wOeUg7zs8[/YOUTUBE]

the third time was in Luxemburg with a little dog looking like Melachi and he was joking that it was dead before he threw it into the choir.

So he loves all kind of gifts but he hates these little animals :wink2:.

And yes it is rude of him because I feel for the fans who bought them and were proud to give them to him, they must have been very dissapointed. But I also can understand Mika who isn´t a child anymore ........

Don't you think there's a huge difference between people presenting Mika with gifts at a meeting and throwing crap on stage though? I don't think it's especially rude of him (I mean what IS he going to do with it when he's in the middle of a performance?) and you have to wonder how serious the people were who were throwing it at him in the first place.

I have to admit that I stopped giving him things ages ago. I suppose if I saw something which I thought he might really like I would buy it but generally I just don't feel the need these days. But that's not to say I don't understand why people want to ... I did for the first couple of years.

Yes I feel the same now. I gave him something at his birthday last year but I felt kind of obligated under the circumstances. It was just a bit of junk and he probably threw it away. :teehee: