Gifts at Concerts?

PemberlyPenmanship

The first time I saw him react to those animals was in Colmar where a fan threw a pink donkey on stage. Mika took it showed it to the audience and asked what he was supposed to do with it, giving it to his dog but the dog would have more taste.... and then threw it away. I thought at that time " oh oh, now a fan heart is broken! "

The second time is here

[YOUTUBE]E3wOeUg7zs8[/YOUTUBE]

the third time was in Luxemburg with a little dog looking like Melachi and he was joking that it was dead before he threw it into the choir.

So he loves all kind of gifts but he hates these little animals :wink2:.

And yes it is rude of him because I feel for the fans who bought them and were proud to give them to him, they must have been very dissapointed. But I also can understand Mika who isn´t a child anymore ........

OMG - puuhhh - this's not good at all :shocked:

He's a grown-up man - the "gifts" has nothing to do with his age - that it shall be perfect or what so ever. TINA got all kind of toys during her concerts, and she was over 60 years old when she quit !! :wub2: I heard she collected it, and instead of throw it away - she gave it to poor kids, or kindergardens - which I think was a great thing to do :thumb_yello:

Love,love

me

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the Rome gig someone threw a dog during GK... He didn't seem rude in my opinion, but he threwed it back to the audience.... while he was singing....

Oh yes definitely do not give Mika anything while he's on stage if you expect him to keep it or give it back to you. He will just throw it to any random person in the audience and you'll never see it again :naughty:

There was a woman beside me with crutches that were propped up against the barrier and he had a boot/cast on his foot and was trying to get me to give him the crutches. I was like no way this poor woman will have to hop out of here because who knows what you are going to do with those crutches. :roftl:

I gave him my gift last gig in November, it wasn't a handmade gift, I bought chocolates and some tipycal desserts from where I live and he was very grateful and happy to receive them.:wub2: I think he really appreciates our gifts and I felt an inmense pleasure to give them to him. I'll do it again next gig for sure :wink2:

I presented him "matrioshka" and some Russian chocolate in November after the show in Paris for I came from Russia to these shows. He smiled when he saw "matrioshka" and said "Oh, Russian doll" and asked me some questions about the place I live :aah: I'm not sure he paid any attention to my chocolate but he liked my Russain doll for sure :blush-anim-cl: You can try to give him something specific for your country or city :wink2:

In general, I would advise against giving him any sort of food products if they aren't sealed and from a shop. I know that no one here would ever even think of hurting Mika in any way, but I'm quite sure he won't eat anything given to him by a random fan -- not that anyone would poison him :shocked: but it might be something that would make him ill if it wasn't properly prepared or handled... and of course there are plenty of nutters in the world who just might try to sneak something into some food... I'm sure he won't take that chance. With the possible exception of Wonka's "fresh products." :wink2:

You're much better off with a handmade gift, or something that you've put some thought into. I'm hopeless at crafts or artwork, so I've opted for the latter, when I've actually bothered to give him anything. :original:

I think Mika is pretty gracious 99% of the time and considering how much ruder fans have been with him I'd say he's incredibly polite. People shout at him, flash off cameras inches from his eyes and shove things in his face and he still comes out almost every night and signs things and tries to talk to people if it's not a total mob scene.

I have received a very positive reaction from him for 3 gifts I gave or was involved with a group in giving so it was worth it to me. I can't make things by hand but if you give him something thoughtful instead of junk then he's not going to be rude to you. Let's face it, not much personal thought goes into a teddy bear or similar. Especially now that he's almost 30 years old.

Likewise. I've never seen Mika treat a fan rudely when they've given a gift in person, and he's always been most gracious with me, even if all I've given him is a card. But when they're throwing things at him when he's on stage? All bets are off! :naughty:

I'm sure he won't take that chance. With the possible exception of Wonka's "fresh products." :wink2:

:

But the thing is Wonka's fresh products have a trade mark package (from the store that makes them and he has been there before so he knows it), that's why he eats them, if not i doubt he would!

I know this because last time i gave him pasteis de belem, in the coliseum gig m&g, they were not from the original store as i had no time to go there before the gig so the boxes didnt match to what he knows so he offered them to the band and the choir and didnt touch it!:thumb_yello:

PASTEI~1.JPG

As a matter of fact Momma P told Mary they ate them all and that they were still hot and she almost didnt touch them when he played at Campo Pequeno and we delievered it to the hotel he was staying after he blatantly posted a pic on twitter with a view from his room...:naughty:

Ouffa that was probably the longer sentence i ever wrote here...:lmao:

But the thing is Wonka's fresh products have a trade mark package (from the store that makes them and he has been there before so he knows it), that's why he eats them, if not i doubt he would!

I know this because last time i gave him pasteis de belem, in the coliseum gig m&g, they were not from the original store as i had no time to go there before the gig so the boxes didnt match to what he knows so he offered them to the band and the choir and didnt touch it!:thumb_yello:

PASTEI~1.JPG

As a matter of fact Momma P told Mary they ate them all and that they were still hot and she almost didnt touch them when he played at Campo Pequeno and we delievered it to the hotel he was staying after he blatantly posted a pic on twitter with a view from his room...:naughty:

Ouffa that was probably the longer sentence i ever wrote here...:lmao:

This last time he didn't eat anything (at least on stage, during the soundcheck) but Momma P sounded very excited when I told her he had received pastries.... :naughty:

And in 2010 it was actually Mika himself who said he had eaten all of the pastries, still warm. :doh: Lets just say we were lucky not to have the 2nd gig cancelled, this time due to a sudden intestinal problem... :teehee:

Aaaaaaaanyway, as it was already said, he usually reacts very well to presents, and I'm pretty sure he'll appreciate if you give him one, especially being handmade. :thumb_yello: Good luck, hope you manage to give it in person.

This last time he didn't eat anything (at least on stage, during the soundcheck) but Momma P sounded very excited when I told her he had received pastries.... :naughty:

We dropped off some cakes for Mama P in Tokyo because it was her birthday. Mika got nothing that time. He's spoiled enough. :shun:

There is another American fan who has given him cross stitch and of course many people give him gifts all the time so don't worry about etiquette. As long as you don't proposition him or anything in the card it should be fine. :teehee:

The other thing is American fans can be a little rambunctious to say the least and if everyone mobs Mika when he comes out it may be difficult to have a moment with him. You may have to just quickly hand it to him or even his manager. But his manager will give him the gift so don't worry about having to pass it off if you really want to give him something.

Which show are you going to? Anyway good luck!

Your comment about propositioning him in my card had me in peals of giggles! It's a tempting idea, but don't worry, I'll refrain. :wink2: (Especially since sometimes I wonder if girls actually understand he's not "on the market" and he doesn't want them drooling all over him in a romantic way; he must get weirded out sometimes by overenthusiastic fangirls...)

As for your second remark, haha, good point! I've no doubt Americans can be some of the craziest of the crazy, but it's not all of us. :thumb_yello: I'm sure he's used to every kind or rambunctious fan. I can only imagine it must be somewhat better for him here since he's not big in the US compared to Europe, Asia, or elsewhere. And I certainly don't think he's obligated to stay after gigs, so hopefully he'll stay for a bit, but if not he deserves a break. <3

HI ALL! Thanks so much for your insightful and humorous replies. I've decided on a pattern, I'll make him a small cross-stitch and give him a card in some simple packaging or maybe a gift bag, nothing crazy in case they randomly frisk his gifts or whatever. :D

Thanks for asking, because I certainly enjoy reading this thread...

Still not sure I will bring a gift myself:fisch:

As for your second remark, haha, good point! I've no doubt Americans can be some of the craziest of the crazy, but it's not all of us. :thumb_yello: I'm sure he's used to every kind or rambunctious fan. I can only imagine it must be somewhat better for him here since he's not big in the US compared to Europe, Asia, or elsewhere.

Actually you'd be surprised. Just because the percentage of fans in the general population isn't as high doesn't mean the people who attend gigs aren't just as anxious to get to speak to him. And no it's not everyone of course but it only takes a handful of people to crowd him and then suddenly everyone starts to form a mob and it turns into chaos. People who would otherwise be happy to stand and wait in a line will start to crowd in because they think if they don't Mika will leave before they get their chance.

There was a gig in Osaka and there were several hundred people waiting outside and they formed a huge circle while Mika went around to greet everyone. I was sure it wouldn't last more than a couple of minutes but I was amazed that everyone stayed in single file and waited their turn.

On the other hand in NYC in October there were probably only 2 dozen of us and yet it was total chaos and some people didn't even get a chance to talk to him.

But there is no way to predict how these things will turn out. Some people get lucky and are in the right place at the right time, others not. Sometimes it's well organized and a well behaved crowd, sometimes it's not.

HI ALL! Thanks so much for your insightful and humorous replies. I've decided on a pattern, I'll make him a small cross-stitch and give him a card in some simple packaging or maybe a gift bag, nothing crazy in case they randomly frisk his gifts or whatever. :D

:thumb_yello:

And in 2010 it was actually Mika himself who said he had eaten all of the pastries, still warm. :doh: Lets just say we were lucky not to have the 2nd gig cancelled, this time due to a sudden intestinal problem... :teehee:

Aaaaaaaanyway, as it was already said, he usually reacts very well to presents, and I'm pretty sure he'll appreciate if you give him one, especially being handmade. :thumb_yello: Good luck, hope you manage to give it in person.

Sorry, Mary, i thought i'd recall MommaP told you that...

Nevermind, i'm getting...:old:

In general, I would advise against giving him any sort of food products if they aren't sealed and from a shop. I know that no one here would ever even think of hurting Mika in any way, but I'm quite sure he won't eat anything given to him by a random fan -- not that anyone would poison him :shocked: but it might be something that would make him ill if it wasn't properly prepared or handled... and of course there are plenty of nutters in the world who just might try to sneak something into some food... I'm sure he won't take that chance. With the possible exception of Wonka's "fresh products." :wink2:

I don't think chocolate is different in different countries, but I suppose I can agree with you about food. I dicided to give Mika some chocolate cos he asked about it at one of the shows :wink2: At least he could give it to his team :teehee: I'm absolutely uncreative, so I have problem about presents :doh: And now I must invent something untill may :fisch:

What do you all think about local music? I'm thinking about something very Russian...

What do you all think about local music? I'm thinking about something very Russian...

I gave him some music from my favourite Canadian songwriters but I don't know if he listened to it our not. :naughty:

I wonder does he sit and open all these presents himself? If so I'd love to be a fly on the wall when he does and see his reaction to them. :wink2:

I sent him something once so I wasn't there when he got it but he tweeted to say he had a big smile on his face. I was so thrilled because I didn't expect to ever find out if he'd even received it or not muchless his reaction.

He is generally appreciative of my genius gifts, although sometimes he is a diva. That's why I gave him a book with the title: "I'm not the biggest b*tch in this relationship" and said the title reminded me of him:mf_rosetinted:.

But I did give him one of those toy dogs once who bark and walk etc. and he used it in the We Are Golden video:wub2:.

Two years ago I made him something ... I know he likes wearing tailcoats and vests. I was so inspiring with his style and I made him tail vest with hand painted details, but after gig Yasmine wasn't sure if there will be m&g and I gave it to her. She took it and gave to MIKA and I really don't know if he likes it or not ... He never wore it :mf_rosetinted:

No, there's no excuse, imo - even he might get both "sick and tired" about "stupid gifts" - and I would hardly believe my eyes if I saw it, cause to me he has always seemed to be the most polite, nice and sweat person of all - a very special popstar :wub2: and after all, these things are given by love, I suppose...

In all kind of jobs we have to behave - even we all can feel a need to both show the finger, and ask people to f... off - now and then :naughty:

Love,love

me

He is not that sweet and innocent as he makes people believe he is:mf_rosetinted:.

But generally I've only seen him be very patient and graceful. Apart from a few moments but those were well-deserved:mf_rosetinted:.

We gave him a pair of braces and he said sometimes he doesn't have the heart to tell people he doesn't like something. :teehee: He swore he really liked them and they would go in his "collection". I still don't know if he actually wore them or not but they were in every show on the last tour - being worn by different band members - so at least I know he didn't throw them out. :naughty:

Pff he never has any problem asking me if he should be scared when I give him something:mf_rosetinted:.

Yes, someone from Universal told me he doesn't eat anything that is not sealed.

I gave him some music from my favourite Canadian songwriters but I don't know if he listened to it our not. :naughty:

And we'll never know what he really thinks about our gifts but we keep giving our small presents to him :wink2:

• 2 weeks later...

I've given him cross stitches each time I've seen him and every time he tells me that he's framed my work. So you should go for it! If nothing else...you'll enjoy making the gift for him and with fingers crossed maybe you can manage to give it to him!

Yes, someone from Universal told me he doesn't eat anything that is not sealed.

as if! :lmfao: maybe from fans he doesn't know, but he sure wasn't concerned about the berliners (donuts) statue had bought for him! :naughty: it wasn't sealed, just a paper bag from the bakery... he opened it, his eyes lit up and he said "oh i LOVE those!!" and immediately took a huge bite of one - it looked like he was starving! :lmfao: what makes this even funnier was that some guys from the tv team and from universal had told us before the m&g, when they saw what we had brought, that mika was on a special carb-free diet and wouldn't eat that. yeah,sure! :mf_rosetinted::teehee: he probably just didn't like *their* food! :naughty:

as if! :lmfao: maybe from fans he doesn't know, but he sure wasn't concerned about the berliners (donuts) statue had bought for him! :naughty: it wasn't sealed, just a paper bag from the bakery... he opened it, his eyes lit up and he said "oh i LOVE those!!" and immediately took a huge bite of one - it looked like he was starving! :lmfao: what makes this even funnier was that some guys from the tv team and from universal had told us before the m&g, when they saw what we had brought, that mika was on a special carb-free diet and wouldn't eat that. yeah,sure! :mf_rosetinted::teehee: he probably just didn't like *their* food! :naughty:

Yes, I understand that --if it's from someone he recognizes/knows, then I'm sure he won't hesitate. But my point was that if someone he doesn't know gives him some open food item, or if something gets mixed in with a bunch of other gifts and he's not sure where/who it came from, it's likely not going to be eaten. :dunno:

Yes, I understand that --if it's from someone he recognizes/knows, then I'm sure he won't hesitate. But my point was that if someone he doesn't know gives him some open food item, or if something gets mixed in with a bunch of other gifts and he's not sure where/who it came from, it's likely not going to be eaten. :dunno:

yes you're probably right with that, i'd do the same if i was him.

I'm so incredibly excited because my friend and I were able to snag tickets to see Mika in the spring! :naughty:

I've heard fans like to give him gifts sometimes; I was thinking about making him a small cross-stitch (needlepoint) because that's one of my hobbies and maybe give him a card or something. Maybe. What do you guys think is appropriate? Have any of you given him anything in person? Do you know if he has any rules of etiquette about this? :bleh:(I know he has a fanmail address)...

I've been dreaming of having the opportunity to see him, so screwing up or being embarrassed would suck! :mf_rosetinted:

Well at the mika concert I went to someone threw two naked action men on stage. It doesn't get much more inappropriate or weird than that, but Mika played around for ages with them. Just bring whatever you want, something funny or something special, I think Mika would be genuinely grateful for any gift you gave him.