Mika in "Le Matin" (swiss newspaper)

Nanou

There was an interview in Le Matin on saturday, it's in french but here it is:

925567Mikalematin1001.jpg

892677Mikalematin1002.jpg

here is a quick translation (if anyone want to do it better, please feel free, I'm at work and don't have time to translate everything...).

on march 15th you'll play in a ski station, is it a first time in snow for you?

yes it is. (silence) Actually no, i'm completely wrong! I've made a gig in Salt Lake city 4 years ago. The gig was full and the team was waiting when we realized instruments, lights, etc... won't be able to make it to the place because the trucks were in snow. We refund the gig but played anyway and asked everyone to come with music instruments and finally made a acoustic gig. One of the best I've had.

So, your audience should be ready to come with guitars and drums?

*he laughs* no! This time we'll have time to deal with weather conditions as I have no gig before or after the festival.

Will you be wearing skis?

I don't think so. But we're preparing a little surprise for my Swiss audience.

are you offering us a scoop?

You know that I'm not.! *laughs* I want to keep the surprise secret.

Your album is out since a few months now, are you happy about it?

Completely. I think there are a few very good songs in it and I'm proud about it. However, it worked well in some countries and not at all in others.

In France and generally in Europe the album is doig well. In the United states too, i'm very happy about the way it's working there. However, in the Uk it's still very complicated for me. It's a country that I love, but there will always be some unexplainable artistical intolerances there regarding certain kind of music. Look at the US, there are so many kind of pop music that it's common now (any help for the translation is welcome in this part :aah::teehee:)

From Regina Spektor to Rufus Wainwright, thoses over talented artists are free too play with melodies without being judged.

Why, after your huge success, this failed relatioship with this country is still bothering you so much?

I live in london. I'm there precisely because there are some amazing studios and musicians that I love. In the end, maybe I love this city because I'm artistically anonymous there too. I can lock myself in a studio and don't care about anything eles than my universe.

Is it the same in the streets?

No, a little less, because I am know in the medias. But, still, when conitnental people come naturally say hello, English people pretend not to recognise you. Maybe this will change with time.

Speaking about time, you never appreciate when we talk about maturity speaking about you...

because maturity is only made for cheese and wine!

that's why you're still so well in your role of Pop buffoon?

I'm not playing a role. it's me and nothing else. I've never pretended to be a clown only to make people laugh.

If one day you'll need to be a little more introvert, do you think you'll be allowed to?

As nothing is set in advance, I'll never ask myself if my evolution can please people or not. I'll still want to be serious in dealing with fantasy and mixing black and colors together. I love Nina Simone for this reason. She made pub music, night music, with this omnipresent sadness. As did Cocteau. He could speak about poetic matters, surrealistic and serious, but always with an amazing naivety. Marcel Marceau, Charlie Chaplin, there are a lot of genius who helped me to understand that I could, and should, fight to be myself.

do artists only create because they can't find their place?$

More than finding their place, i think they need to have a critical look on the place they're in. As in Tod Browning's movie "Freaks". We need monsters. In a circus we can put freaks into light and try to convince ourselves that we're not one. I almost feel like being a circus animal (he laughs)

You're joining "Les Enfoirés" this year, why?

I've been invited, it's not nothing! I did not know if this group of ego singing for a cause was really sincere. Once there, I realized they are. A room for women and another for men, without any "chichi" (translation???? :teehee:) I've changed my clothed in front of Jean-Jacques Goldman (a famous french singer) it's not nothing! *laugh*

People often say that Les enfoirés is made of has been people...

I did not feel that at all! you really think all of them has a ruined carreer?

What about yours?

*laughs* mine is really fine, sir, and I don't have any fear about it.

future?

I'm writing for american people and for cinema too. I need some "outside" projects to be able to write again for myself.

which means a new album?

yes. i'm composing at the piano, there is less electronic sounds. You know who Billy Joel is? there you are. True american pop music. Ambitious isn't it?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sing us a song you're the piano man...

I'm very curious to know what the Swiss surprise is. Are you going to the show Nanou?

Thank you for the translation. :flowers2:

Very interesting interview:thumb_yello: No one can argue he doesn't have a clear picture of what's happening with is career.:mf_rosetinted:

True! :teehee:

So does he want us to go and say hello to him in the street now then?

Yes I'm not sure what he's getting at there and I noticed he has mentioned this before.

I don't know about the UK really but in Toronto you don't go up to anyone you don't know and start chatting to them. It has nothing to do with celebrity.

Thank you Nanou! :thumb_yello:

I really really enjoyed reading this, of course because of this insight into Mika's thoughts but also because of the way the journalist describes him at the start, words are very well chosen.

It sounds exciting anyway!

Just to add to Nanou's translation, about pop music in the US : 'There are so many niches in pop music that it's not a swear word anymore'

and I would translate 'sans chichi' as 'without manners'

Thank you Nanou! :thumb_yello:

I really really enjoyed reading this, of course because of this insight into Mika's thoughts but also because of the way the journalist describes him at the start, words are very well chosen.

It sounds exciting anyway!

Just to add to Nanou's translation, about pop music in the US : 'There are so many niches in pop music that it's not a swear word anymore'

and I would translate 'sans chichi' as 'without manners'

Maybe a better translation for sans chichi wouldbe without making a fuss about it:wink2:

Yes I'm not sure what he's getting at there and I noticed he has mentioned this before.

I don't know about the UK really but in Toronto you don't go up to anyone you don't know and start chatting to them. It has nothing to do with celebrity.

Maybe he doesn´t mean chatting a lot :wink2:. I grew up in a little city where my parents were well known and as a child I had to great everyone I saw even if I didn´t know them. One time I had overseen someone who called my parents and moaned about me which was a bid drama for me. So still walk around here and to EVERYONE " Good day " with a smile but dont chat with them. Maybe Mika only wants a simple " Hello " and a smile but at the same time not be bothered :wink2:

Thank you Nanou for posting and translating the interview, I love it!!!

That was a quirk my aunty used to have. If we were walking through town in the evening, she would say good evening to random people, no one we knew at all. They would say good evening back and go away with a smile on their face (never sure whether that was through feeling good about it, or thinking what a strange lady, I like to think it was the former). That harked back to her childhood where everyone would say hello to each other on the street.

Maybe a better translation for sans chichi wouldbe without making a fuss about it:wink2:

Yes, that's true thank you

Anyway, I doubt some of these words actually come from Mika's mouth, he always seems to speak French even more perfectly than he already does in these written interviews :teehee:

Maybe he doesn´t mean chatting a lot :wink2:. I grew up in a little city where my parents were well known and as a child I had to great everyone I saw even if I didn´t know them. One time I had overseen someone who called my parents and moaned about me which was a bid drama for me. So still walk around here and to EVERYONE " Good day " with a smile but dont chat with them. Maybe Mika only wants a simple " Hello " and a smile but at the same time not be bothered :wink2:

Even so it is probably a cultural thing and it's not about to change for Mika :naughty: I posted a video awhile ago where a guy in Toronto was dancing in the streets, coming up close enough to touch people and they didn't acknowledge him in any way.

When we saw Mika at the supermarket I was mortified that he'd think we were invading his privacy and wanted to hide. It was up to my Spanish compadre who felt perfectly comfortable saying hi :naughty:

Again I don't know about the UK specifically but I have seen cases in the US where people have been arrested for behaviour that really sounds like the kind of thing Mika tolerates all the time. But it will always make me uncomfortable and I'm not going to say hi to Brad Pitt next time I see him in the supermarket either.

Maybe I will say something if I see Jerry Seinfeld in Brooklyn. I'm not sure I could resist that. :naughty:

Even so it is probably a cultural thing and it's not about to change for Mika :naughty: I posted a video awhile ago where a guy in Toronto was dancing in the streets, coming up close enough to touch people and they didn't acknowledge him in any way.

When we saw Mika at the supermarket I was mortified that he'd think we were invading his privacy and wanted to hide. It was up to my Spanish compadre who felt perfectly comfortable saying hi :naughty:

Again I don't know about the UK specifically but I have seen cases in the US where people have been arrested for behaviour that really sounds like the kind of thing Mika tolerates all the time. But it will always make me uncomfortable and I'm not going to say hi to Brad Pitt next time I see him in the supermarket either.

Maybe I will say something if I see Jerry Seinfeld in Brooklyn. I'm not sure I could resist that. :naughty:

I thought about what I would do if I would meet Mika when I was walking around London and I think I would say " Hello Mika" and would walk my way. I never would dare to stop and bother him in his privat life but also I wouldn´t pretend to ignore him :wink2:

Think it's a bit different in Quebec... We are pretty easy on our idols/famous people. I think Mika refer to it in an interview:thumb_yello: There are a couple of pretty famous peeps in my little suburb town ans people act cool towards them. On the other hand, we do say hi or smile to strangers on the street.

So yes, it is a cultural thing and I get what he says!

I thought about what I would do if I would meet Mika when I was walking around London and I think I would say " Hello Mika" and would walk my way. I never would dare to stop and bother him in his privat life but also I wouldn´t pretend to ignore him :wink2:

Yes, i don't think anyone would mind if they stop him to say Hi Mika, I really love what you do:thumb_yello:

Thanks a lot! A very interesting interview with many new info, not like those that I used to scan without reading every word. Very fresh and inspiring. I'm glad that he returned to his piano, he is good in it (no matter what he says himself).

it was very interesting to see his point of view concerning England.

And all the rest is valuable, for further re-reading.

I think that's how I'd react too.

I hope he doesn't stop performing in the UK because he thinks it's a difficult market :sad: