Mika in "Le Matin" (swiss newspaper)

Nanou

What he says about the UKs music scene is pretty much what I really dislike about it. The music here at the moment is pretty dull and not very creative on the whole. There are a few exceptions, but not really enough to make it interesting. Artists like Mika get derided for their creatively and looked down on by the muso snobs on the Indie scene, and smothered by the X Factor culture. Paloma Faith for instance should have walked away with a Brit for the Best Album this year, but it went to Emilie Sande,who is alright, but doesn't have Palomas flair or talent to my mind. It's all so samey and boring here.

I was stunned that last week Labrinth (who I like, apart from his association with Cowell!), said that Justin Timberlakes new songs sounded old, when everything that comes from his mentor sounds more hackneyed! I despair of my own country, I really do.

Edited by RAK1

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great interview! Thanks Nanou!

I wonder what kind of surprise he is preparing for Swiss audience.

There are no more auditions for choir? He gave up that idea?

Don't think intimate and choir fit together... Maybe it was a logistic nightmare? And not easy to coordinate with festival?

I thought about what I would do if I would meet Mika when I was walking around London and I think I would say " Hello Mika" and would walk my way. I never would dare to stop and bother him in his privat life but also I wouldn´t pretend to ignore him :wink2:

Exactely my thought too :blush-anim-cl: I think hello and a smile would be a natural behaviour, at least from people who "know" him - it's surely a cultural thing :blush-anim-cl: we must remember where his mother comes from ...

Thanks for finding and translating Nanou :thumb_yello: great to have some news from him again :wub2:

Love,love

me

I'd actually like to hear about this writing for cinema business! He's thrown around the idea of that before and he seemed really interested and fascinated by it.

Agree! It's exciting :thumb_yello::blush-anim-cl:

Love,love

me

"La maturité est réservée au vin et au fromage". Love this quote, it's a very clever answer!

This is a lovely and very interesting interview, thanks Nanou. Great to read about him working on a new album, sounds pretty exciting!

Cant wait to find out about the surprise in Switzerland!

Thks to Nanou for the translate & enterview to Mika i like this..Well in other case i like the information of Rak like...

is pretty dull and not very creative on the whole. There are a few exceptions, but not really enough to make it interesting. Artists like Mika get derided for their creatively and looked down on by the muso snobs on the Indie scene, and smothered by the X Factor culture. Paloma Faith for instance should have walked away with a Brit for the Best Album this year, but it went to Emilie Sande,who is alright, but doesn't have Palomas flair or talent to my mind. It's all so samey and boring here.

I was stunned that last week Labrinth (who I like, apart from his association with Cowell!), said that Justin Timberlakes new songs sounded old, when everything that comes from his mentor sounds more hackneyed! I despair of my own country, I really do.

And very good humor.

& lirics for bother in the vid..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICKiNTXIrS4&feature=player_embedded

Are th e lirics to MIKa,sure??i heared at MTVLa ++ this pic...searching for..attachment.php?attachmentid=9119&stc=1&d=1366521571

Can i use the copyright? i llike your comentary in the review US Press college.

With his newest album title, Mika discovered a huge amount of scope and freedom to talk about passion from all angles. “I thought it was a really cool overarching concept for a record,” Mika said. “A record that talks about love, but in trying to get to the origin it enabled itself to talk about every type of love: the good type, the ugly type, the violent type, the bitter-mean type, the drunk type, the elated type - the kind that makes you feel like you’re a six-year-old kid again.”

Edited by mer

He's dead right about the UK! Actually, judging by the drivel in the UK charts atm, Mika's songs are way too good for our top 40. Mika's songs have melody, and thoughtfullness in the lyrics. They tell stories or have characters in them. The other songs which get played on the radio are mindless and utter rubbish compared to Mika's songs.

What he says about the UKs music scene is pretty much what I really dislike about it. The music here at the moment is pretty dull and not very creative on the whole. There are a few exceptions, but not really enough to make it interesting. Artists like Mika get derided for their creatively and looked down on by the muso snobs on the Indie scene, and smothered by the X Factor culture. Paloma Faith for instance should have walked away with a Brit for the Best Album this year, but it went to Emilie Sande,who is alright, but doesn't have Palomas flair or talent to my mind. It's all so samey and boring here.

Well you've got guuuhreat new artists like Rita Ora who sing about partying and getting drunk etc. :glasses2:

He's dead right about the UK! Actually, judging by the drivel in the UK charts atm, Mika's songs are way too good for our top 40. Mika's songs have melody, and thoughtfullness in the lyrics. They tell stories or have characters in them. The other songs which get played on the radio are mindless and utter rubbish compared to Mika's songs.

The top 40 in the US is not different. It's not like Rufus Wainwright has #1 hits. But the US is a huge country and even a gold record there means you've sold 500,000 copies. LICM went double platinum in Canada and if it had done the same in the US that would have meant 2 million in sales just for one country.

I think the key for Mika and the US is not that they are necessarily non-judgemental, but that they are non-judgemental about him because he didn't have the meteoric rise and fall that he had in the UK. He can still be seen as a breaking artist whose best days are ahead of him.

The top 40 in the US is not different. It's not like Rufus Wainwright has #1 hits. But the US is a huge country and even a gold record there means you've sold 500,000 copies. LICM went double platinum in Canada and if it had done the same in the US that would have meant 2 million in sales just for one country.

I think the key for Mika and the US is not that they are necessarily non-judgemental, but that they are non-judgemental about him because he didn't have the meteoric rise and fall that he had in the UK. He can still be seen as a breaking artist whose best days are ahead of him.

That's kind-of what I'm thinking. It's harder for an artist to come back, when they've fallen from the top and that's how he's perceived in the UK. But success in America could make the UK sit up and take notice again. What I'm loving about Mika though, is that he has the right attitude. So many would (and have) given up, or done stupid things to get publicity and their extra 15 minutes. Mika hasn't. He's kept his nerve, and it's his sort of artist who will try other things and adapt his career according to the flow.

The fact that he's skilled in so many ways, writing, singing, artwork, and he's so knowledgeable about so many things and can talk (or write) about so many different topics in a modest-but-wise way, will mean he'll always attract people to him who are in the know, and able to see what a gem he is.

I'm hoping he'll write for the cinema, or even appear in movies himself since he's had a little go now. The world could be his oystar. I HOPE IT IS!

I`m so-ooooo happy Mika writes new piano songs! :mikalove:

That`s what I love most about his music. Billy Joel style ? Good! Why not? The 80-s gave us lots of brilliant pop music, pure melodies, great pieces of composing.

Good old piano pop, right from the 80-s..... Not bad actually.

That's kind-of what I'm thinking. It's harder for an artist to come back, when they've fallen from the top and that's how he's perceived in the UK. But success in America could make the UK sit up and take notice again. What I'm loving about Mika though, is that he has the right attitude. So many would (and have) given up, or done stupid things to get publicity and their extra 15 minutes. Mika hasn't. He's kept his nerve, and it's his sort of artist who will try other things and adapt his career according to the flow.

The fact that he's skilled in so many ways, writing, singing, artwork, and he's so knowledgeable about so many things and can talk (or write) about so many different topics in a modest-but-wise way, will mean he'll always attract people to him who are in the know, and able to see what a gem he is.

I'm hoping he'll write for the cinema, or even appear in movies himself since he's had a little go now. The world could be his oystar. I HOPE IT IS!

Totally agree!! :thumb_yello: MIKA will shine, as the huge star he is - for years ahead - on several arenas ... :wub2::fisch::thumb_yello:

Love,love

me