2013 - Coke Studio Session (02.05.2013)

DerMoment1608

Something is wrong here, but I don't think that he is lip synching. If you watch it without sound it totally seems life, it feels true and he has is normal "express what he is singing Stardust body language" and "using falsetto body language" etc., it's not his (over-)acting body language. But if you are watching and listening together it indeed feels wrong. While watching and listening together I don't feel like he is singing what I'm seeing. Synchronisation could be a reason, but I wouldn't have thought that it could have such a big effect. I don't know, maybe there were two takes and the one you hear is not the one you see? There is for sure a scene where you can hear a guitar but Tim isn't playing in the video. But than I would assume that it would differ much more. I just can't pinpoint the reason what is wrong.

But in "Relax" even a deaf one could hear the lip synching… And it's so bad, it's so noticeable that the voice is coming from band, it doesn’t fit at all. Reminded me again why I hate playback so much, it was just so bad to watch.

Seeing Mika sing very physically in Stardust (as you described) I think only backs up my theory that what they did was properly record the songs and then play them over the original video. Kind of how in the Relax Take It Easy music vids we see a live performance but we hear the recorded song. I wouldn't even go as far as to say that the final performance was originally lip synched too based on everyone's earlier stuff. It very well may have been performed live properly.

Not a move I favor, but I get it from a TV p.o.v.

I didn't think it was lip synched. I figured what they did was play the recorded song over the performances. All of them actually. Yes, even Mika's heavenly Stardust. There's no way you should see that end performance and not hear a thing from the crowd. And then the real sound cuts back in at the very end...

This is what I suspect they've done with it for TV. It makes sense for their program to want to display the version that they are selling as opposed to something live.

Oh, I didn't saw your post. But it would explain all these strange effects totally :thumb_yello:

After reading your guess I tried to watch Relax muted, too, and than it feels natural again and like he is really singing, it doesn't seem like he is acting that he is singing which you would expect from a muted lip synched version.

Edited by DerMoment1608

Mmmh the remix in Relax was obvious but in Stardust I needed to listen to it again. I'm still not sure if everything is "fake" or just parts of it. Or if it's really live with a bad synchronisation. In Relax we can really easily hear the difference between live and "added" parts.

I agree with the theory of the sound added after, it's just not Mika that would act like he's singing. That just wouldn't fit at all.

I love those version, Stardust is just amazing and Relax reminds me the earlier Mika but I think I would like more to hear the original sound. :dunno:

Sorry when I said lip synching in relation to Stardust I didn't mean that Mika was faking his performance so that probably wasn't the right choice of words. I'm sure he was singing Stardust while he was being filmed. In fact I think quite a bit of it is the simultaneous recording but some parts are a different recording.

Much of Relax does not sound like it was recorded in the Coke studios at all though. It seems like a wasted opportunity to me because Mika is good with rearrangements of his own songs and Relax in particular. There have been so many great versions over the years and this just ends up sounding like a remix with someone else's song blended in rather than a new collaboration.

I love the strings and drums in Relax and appreciate when Karol goes all out with the traditional Arab vocals. But I don't understand why they are using Mika's original vocal tracks from 2006 and why the whole thing is lip synched. It just comes off as a random mix from January 2007 that was made by a DJ.

I don't understand how anyone cannot enjoy being in the water. It's virtually programmed into our DNA since long before the dawn of humanity. But to each his own. :naughty:

I don't like being in the water either even though it's supposed to be my astrological element :aah:

Like he said I often find myself on the beach or around it but I would just sit on the sand and cbb to go in the water... That quote along with the pasta one is the most I related with mika in an interview in a whole :aah:

I see what you mean about relax sounding like a remix... It's true esp since they used the original vocals but I still love it.. I'm horribly biased :aah::wub2:

Much of Relax does not sound like it was recorded in the Coke studios at all though. It seems like a wasted opportunity to me because Mika is good with rearrangements of his own songs and Relax in particular. There have been so many great versions over the years and this just ends up sounding like a remix with someone else's song blended in rather than a new collaboration.

If you're referring to like, Mika's vocals I agree. It doesn't sound like they rerecorded it, it just sounds...well like the guy said. They added.

I do like it though! Maybe not to own, but I like it well enough.

I have no idea how they did the recording for Stardust (it sounds there's more than we can see and still his singing looks so real??) but this version is stunning, I love it :swoon: Can't stop listening to it.

Behind the scenes :)

[YOUTUBE]tcnQEdjWS8c[/YOUTUBE]

Thank you mari!

I believe this answers all questions about adding rather than rearranging, and lip synching relax :teehee:

He looks so tired in the 'off-camera' shots

T4P!!

Awww I love Karol's energy :wub2: I would even say she outshone mika here...oops :teehee:

But that fits, doesn't it? Quiet introvert Mika who only explodes when he feels at ease, like when he's on stage :teehee:

You will be laughing, guys, but I like the Arabian part of the song ten times more! I really enjoy how it sounds in her performance!

:naughty:

she does have a nice voice, she did a good job with Skyfall.

no disrespect to anyone, i am just not a fan of that music. :no:

i do realize it's about mixing both cultures into one song, but it just doesn't work for me. :no:

but i do love the violins :naughty:

i like the violins, but i'm not a huge fan of fusion relax :no:

I liked the first bit with the violins and then it became pretty boring and unimaginative when mixed with his 2007 vocals and him lipsyncing over it.

Stardust is beautiful as always but again what is with the lip synching?? :blink: i assume this is not a synching problem with the video because all the other sound in the show is synched properly.

Funnily for Stardust I didn't mind the lipsynching at all (he clearly was doing it), otherwise it is unlikely to have been pitch perfect. If they can use technology to perfect his live falsetto, why not do it. It still came across as a great live performance.

• 1 month later...
On 2013/5/3 at 10:05 AM, LaraMay said:

Full show:

[YOUTUBE]WbzOkC1ucN8[/YOUTUBE]

Lara's YouTube account is deleted.... :tears:

I didn't save the video file !

:bow: Could anyone share it again please ?