Mikasounds, Twitter and Facebook updates - Part 12

silver

Well, later on in his life, I would agree but when he first became succesful with Wham, he was perceive as a hot throb with not much to say...

This is true. I'm still de-cobwebbing, wasn't even thinking of Wham! :teehee:

Well, later on in his life, I would agree but when he first became succesful with Wham, he was perceive as a hot throb with not much to say...

You obviously didn't see the pics of him and Andrew in Smash Hits here.

Wham were VERY big pin up boys in the UK. And they gave quite good interviews too.

Mika's Facebook is the only official artist page who posts pictures like that. Other artist pages do post twitter status updates, but no random pictures or quizzes etc.

But they can do whatever they want. I miss out on most of it anyway cause I don't pay enough attention.

That's because Wake Me Up Before You Go Go was bubblegum pop. But so were the Beatles early songs. It didn't take long before George Michael was considered a real talent and everyone knew he was the one with potential and Andrew Ridgely was just along for the ride. GM wrote a couple of the greatest pop songs of all time and I don't think his singing talent was ever questioned.

Rick Springfield on the other hand was doomed even though he won a Grammy. Because he was a doctor on an after school soap opera and the only one who takes that seriously are teenage girls.

I don't feel comfortable carrying on about how hot Mika is because I think it's gross for someone my age. But I think it's perfectly normal for teenagers. They probably think they are being complimentary and not offensive at all because they would also like to feel that they are attractive to others. Of course no one wants some creepy old rapey guy drooling over them but the average teenage girl is not exactly threatening to Mika or anyone else.

Speaking of Dr. Noah Drake (whom I only knew through association - my much older sister was a GH viewer)...

Anyone else remember Rick Springfield before General Hospital, or am I just showing my ancientness here?

Mission-Magic-Cartoon1973-1975-that-was-Rick-Springfield.png

Speaking of Dr. Noah Drake (whom I only knew through association - my much older sister was a GH viewer)...

Anyone else remember Rick Springfield before General Hospital, or am I just showing my ancientness here?

Mission-Magic-Cartoon1973-1975-that-was-Rick-Springfield.png

Ha well I learned about some of his older stuff but didn't know who he was until Jessie's Girl. And I was also crazy about John Stamos so I was watching GH for him too.

That's because Wake Me Up Before You Go Go was bubblegum pop. But so were the Beatles early songs. It didn't take long before George Michael was considered a real talent and everyone knew he was the one with potential and Andrew Ridgely was just along for the ride. GM wrote a couple of the greatest pop songs of all time and I don't think his singing talent was ever questioned.

Rick Springfield on the other hand was doomed even though he won a Grammy. Because he was a doctor on an after school soap opera and the only one who takes that seriously are teenage girls.

I don't feel comfortable carrying on about how hot Mika is because I think it's gross for someone my age. But I think it's perfectly normal for teenagers. They probably think they are being complimentary and not offensive at all because they would also like to feel that they are attractive to others. Of course no one wants some creepy old rapey guy drooling over them but the average teenage girl is not exactly threatening to Mika or anyone else.

I was specifically refering to that period.

About Mika's hotness, I agree with you... I think it's just a normal stage of adolescence... Although I know a teen who might not never get to that stage:teehee:

Speaking of teen throb, I was at Corey Hart farewell concert last night. That's another one who was really put up front because of good looks. But 30 years down the road, the music is all that matters.

What I find bizarre and somehow uncomfortable for me as a fan is not the fact that the official page wants to 'promote' his looks, but the way they decide to do it: sometimes I have the feeling that the people who run the page are 14 years old fans, or, what it worse, they are adults trying to think like a 14 yo girl, in order to give people what they think they want.

And since a lot of Mika fans like many of us have no time and have no interest at all in participating in such a page, where every critical sense is left on a side, it happens that in my eyes it has become a sterile and kinda self indulgent mechanism in which the page posts pics of a Mika that is completely separated from the musician or even Mika as a person, he is just exposed as something to be 'liked' or commented as 'hot': these are posts that don't require any application of critical sense, therefore it is normal that they only get those responses.

Mika is a witty person, he is objectively good looking, and I am not saying it is wrong to point that out, esp for younger fans that have a crush on him, that is pretty normal: but from his official page I expected a way of running it that is coherent with Mika's personality, not such a childish and (for me) embarrassing way; I mean, there are thousands of witty, funny ways even to point out someone's good looks.

As Christine said in other ways it looks to me like a 'panem et circenses' politics, which I personally find rather sad. I hope something changes with the new album :)

What I find bizarre and somehow uncomfortable for me as a fan is not the fact that the official page wants to 'promote' his looks, but the way they decide to do it: sometimes I have the feeling that the people who run the page are 14 years old fans, or, what it worse, they are adults trying to think like a 14 yo girl, in order to give people what they think they want.

I agree with you, por example when the posted a photo of Mika with, in the description a heart! That annoyed me so much! The are his managers, not fans, isn't-it?

Do you know who manages the official page? It is usually the record company that takes care of these things, but there's always different ways to do it. It always seems rather impersonal and boring, it does not give me the idea that who writes on it really knows who Mika is. :blink:

It seems that every mornig, someone sits on a chair in front of a computer and says: "ok, what can i post today about Mika...uhmm....let me see...ok, another cute pic. And now, after doing my job, i can drink my coffee.." :chair:

In good days, it looks like a formal advertisement, never more.

It does not seem a good presentation for Mika. :blink:

Do you know who manages the official page? It is usually the record company that takes care of these things, but there's always different ways to do it. It always seems rather impersonal and boring, it does not give me the idea that who writes on it really knows who Mika is. :blink:

It seems that every mornig, someone sits on a chair in front of a computer and says: "ok, what can i post today about Mika...uhmm....let me see...ok, another cute pic. And now, after doing my job, i can drink my coffee.." :chair:

In good days, it looks like a formal advertisement, never more.

It does not seem a good presentation for Mika. :blink:

DcDeb talked about it a few pages back, it's his management team:wink2:

MIKA official ‏@mikasounds 1m

Just realised how silent I've been on here. Back in the studio in London for my new album. Fallen into the vortex!

:pbjt:

I was just wondering why he'd been so silent and what he was up to.

Just realised how silent I've been on here. Back in the studio in London for my new album. Fallen into the vortex!

Good vortex! :thumb_yello:

And since a lot of Mika fans like many of us have no time and have no interest at all in participating in such a page, where every critical sense is left on a side, it happens that in my eyes it has become a sterile and kinda self indulgent mechanism in which the page posts pics of a Mika that is completely separated from the musician or even Mika as a person,

A bit of a side note - Aside from fan-driven sites like MFC I have seen that fans will not make a community anywhere unless Mika "lives" there. They will not interact much with each other or bother to post thoughtful comments. The only time his official site "worked" was when Mika was updating it himself (with his blog posts). Mika is on Twitter and not Facebook and I think even if the page is run differently it will probably be sterile and will not have Mika's trademark on it unless Mika gets directly involved.

The other problem now (versus several years ago) is that no one is speaking the same language. The minute an English post comes up 5 people ask for a French translation. Even if the post is just Mika's song lyrics. :doh: I understand French and Italian fans posting in their own language because of Mika's popularity and his fluency, but even Korean fans, for example will post in their own language. What is the point of saying anything meaningful when most people are not going to read it anyway? I don't even know how much of it is getting through to Mika's team.

Lily Allen posted a racially controversial video and Paolo Nutini has released an anthemic song that Scots are taking as a call for independence from the rest of the UK. This generated a lot of interesting and thoughtful discussions on FB. But I don't see this ever happening with Mika. Many of his fans can barely communicate with each other at the moment. I feel like I am constantly struggling with this even on MFC and am even less likely to want to engage with people in public who are going to misinterpret what I say.

but from his official page I expected a way of running it that is coherent with Mika's personality, not such a childish and (for me) embarrassing way;

I always find they treat fans like children. And someone suggested to me recently that the mods of MFC should also be dealing with fans as if they are children. I totally disagree with this. If you treat people like children they will act like children. And there is already enough of that going on without actively encouraging it.

Okay finally back on topic. :naughty::thumb_yello:

Happy to see he is in London.

Happy to see he is back in the studio.

Hoping this means he is back on track with the album.

Hoping this means the single is imminent.

Happy to see he is in London.

Happy to see he is back in the studio.

Hoping this means he is back on track with the album.

Hoping this means the single is imminent.

easy tiger... that's too much happiness and hoping for one post! :sneaky2: