Montreal - Travel Plans and Discussions

Treasa

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i've found tickets to all 3 gigs & miss kristal booked our hotel tonight & i've got an appt to apply for my passport on friday & my aunt gave me some money i wasn't expecting, so wooooooo this is really happening! Just need to book my flight & pay the 2 mfcers for the gig tickets i committed to buy :cheer:

ahhhhhhh!!!!!

Exciting!!!!!!! Miss k and d!!!!!!

as we'll be in montreal from feb 7, i discovered there's a "fete de neiges" until february 8... is it recommendable to go there, or is it mainly sleigh riding for children (that's what i can see on the pictures i found online)? what about this biosphere museum, is it interesting to go inside? surely is an interesting looking building.

something else i'm wondering, as someone wrote here that there's usually snow mud in the streets, is it even possible to get around with a stroller, or should i better buy a sleigh instead? :teehee:

as we'll be in montreal from feb 7, i discovered there's a "fete de neiges" until february 8... is it recommendable to go there, or is it mainly sleigh riding for children (that's what i can see on the pictures i found online)? what about this biosphere museum, is it interesting to go inside? surely is an interesting looking building.

something else i'm wondering, as someone wrote here that there's usually snow mud in the streets, is it even possible to get around with a stroller, or should i better buy a sleigh instead? :teehee:

Fêtes des neiges is mostly targeted for kids, but not for babies.

Biodome is interesting. If you go there, make sure you go up the tower of Olympic Stadium. View of the region is wonderful.

Strollers are fine in the city.

Edited by cathouzouf

At the post office today when i tried to get my passport i was told the fact that my birth certificate is a tiny bit damaged & doesn't have my middle name on it could cause a problem so i have to pay to get a new one & bring in a bunch of documents of 5 years old proving i've "assumed a different name". :annoyed_h4h: Gaaaah wtf?! I've always had this middle name! They assured me i still have enough time to the get the passport, but this is another cost i do NOT need. Good thing Mika is worth it!

Dee, does that mean our third night carousing and hitting the gay clubs is out now?

Shoot.

Wish I could find/afford a third night ticket - still looking!

Yeah sorry :( looks like it, unless you'd be up for some shenanigans afterward. I hope you can find a ticket thats not too expensive :pray:

Fêtes des neiges is mostly targeted for kids, but not for babies.

Biodome is interesting. If you go there, make sure you go up the tower of Olympic Stadium. View of the region is wonderful.

Strollers are fine in the city.

thanks. :flowers2:

At the post office today when i tried to get my passport i was told the fact that my birth certificate is a tiny bit damaged & doesn't have my middle name on it could cause a problem so i have to pay to get a new one & bring in a bunch of documents of 5 years old proving i've "assumed a different name". :annoyed_h4h: Gaaaah wtf?! I've always had this middle name! They assured me i still have enough time to the get the passport, but this is another cost i do NOT need. Good thing Mika is worth it!

Yeah sorry :( looks like it, unless you'd be up for some shenanigans afterward. I hope you can find a ticket thats not too expensive :pray:

Oh fun... I had to order my birth certificate yesterday from Idaho, as mine is packed somewhere out in storage, so I guess we are both still dashing like madwomen, eh? Hopefully Nebraska isn't slow at turnaround - I had to mark my envelope RUSH to have them actually take care of getting mine to me next week.

I hope I can find a third nighter too... and that someone will be kind enough to understand that destitution here under recent events is not something I could have anticipated!

You're welcome!

Just a precision about strollers, don't know which one you're planning to bring but cheap umbrella type ones are not the best in snow/ice. You need a good set of wheels!

Yeah, thats the problem. It has to be small enough for the plane and for the rental car, but big enough for the snow. We do have a sling too, but it's nothing for the whole day. :aah:

Yeah, thats the problem. It has to be small enough for the plane and for the rental car, but big enough for the snow. We do have a sling too, but it's nothing for the whole day. :aah:

Perhaps renting here is an option, considering the cost of flying with your own things. :dunno:

Here is a company in Montreal

http://www.travel-buggy.com/

http://www.mininomade.com/

Was referring to this http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Disney-Baby-I-Heart-Mickey-Umbrella-Stroller-with-Canopy/24707714

Anything a bit more solid would do.

This is what we have

http://www.babyprofi-online.de/images/produkte/i58/5832-1.jpg but our car trunk is full when we put this stroller inside. :aah: I'll have to check the airline restrictions again, a stroller is free but they have restrictions in the measures of the folded stroller, that's why we might have to buy one like on the pic you posted anyway. (This one's the best small one you can get but guess it's still not suitable for snow: http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/cbb/2008/04/17/maclaren4seasons.jpg ) if not, we could just rent a bigger car for the niagara falls. Or leave the stroller in a locker/baggage service in toronto for those 2 days, if there's anything like that. Renting a stroller might be an option but the bigger ones are pretty expensive to rent. :dunno:

Ah well, i'll just have to go through all the options we have and decide what's best. Thanks for your help cath and guy! :thumb_yello:

This is what we have

http://www.babyprofi-online.de/images/produkte/i58/5832-1.jpg but our car trunk is full when we put this stroller inside. :aah: I'll have to check the airline restrictions again, a stroller is free but they have restrictions in the measures of the folded stroller, that's why we might have to buy one like on the pic you posted anyway. (This one's the best small one you can get but guess it's still not suitable for snow: http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/cbb/2008/04/17/maclaren4seasons.jpg ) if not, we could just rent a bigger car for the niagara falls. Or leave the stroller in a locker/baggage service in toronto for those 2 days, if there's anything like that. Renting a stroller might be an option but the bigger ones are pretty expensive to rent. :dunno:

Ah well, i'll just have to go through all the options we have and decide what's best. Thanks for your help cath and guy! :thumb_yello:

The McLaren should be fine, especially if the front wheels can be locked. I had a Peg Perego with my kids and it was OK.

This is what we have

I've been thinking about you all week. We just got our first major snow fall of this winter and, as usual, snow removal is already a mess downtown...

As I was walking on those slippery sidewalks, all I was thinking of was people with strollers, like you...

Hopefully they will get the hang of it by February!

I've been thinking about you all week. We just got our first major snow fall of this winter and, as usual, snow removal is already a mess downtown...

As I was walking on those slippery sidewalks, all I was thinking of was people with strollers, like you...

Hopefully they will get the hang of it by February!

Maybe i should just attach a snow shovel to the front of the stroller. Seems that's a market gap! :naughty:

as long as we dont have to worry about another storm like the other day Im sure it will be fine. I didn't think the salt trucks would be so bad in montreal seeing as you mix yours with sand it should be a little bit easier to maneuver. Im super excited and Im hoping we dont get hit with another ice storm like last year T_T.

Oh for those of you who are locals. Do you know if the Via rail station is far from downtown? I have to take the train in now because my friend cannot come along with me and I wanted to be certain I wouldn't have to travel far to my hotel T_T, I mean its not horrible I would just probably have to take a cab to my hotel which if its far might cost quite a bit extra >.<.

as long as we dont have to worry about another storm like the other day Im sure it will be fine. I didn't think the salt trucks would be so bad in montreal seeing as you mix yours with sand it should be a little bit easier to maneuver. Im super excited and Im hoping we dont get hit with another ice storm like last year T_T.

Oh for those of you who are locals. Do you know if the Via rail station is far from downtown? I have to take the train in now because my friend cannot come along with me and I wanted to be certain I wouldn't have to travel far to my hotel T_T, I mean its not horrible I would just probably have to take a cab to my hotel which if its far might cost quite a bit extra >.<.

Just make sure you take the train to "Gare centrale". Couldn't be more downtown than that, it's about 10 minutes walk from OSM hall. Where is your hotel exactly?

ummmmmmm >.> its the Hilton I asked the person I reserved it from she said it was like a 5 minute walk which also matched my google maps search when I looked up directions >.< Hilton Garden Inn Montreal Centre-Ville 380 Sherbrooke St. West. I hope me and the lady booked it at the right location lmaooo <.<

ummmmmmm >.> its the Hilton I asked the person I reserved it from she said it was like a 5 minute walk which also matched my google maps search when I looked up directions >.< Hilton Garden Inn Montreal Centre-Ville 380 Sherbrooke St. West. I hope me and the lady booked it at the right location lmaooo <.<

Sounds right!

is downtown Montreal very hilly?

i've been wondering because i had visions of slipping on ice as i'm walking up a hill to the gig and sliding on my bum aaaaaaaall the way back down and it making me late to the gig :shocked:

is downtown Montreal very hilly?

i've been wondering because i had visions of slipping on ice as i'm walking up a hill to the gig and sliding on my bum aaaaaaaall the way back down and it making me late to the gig :shocked:

:naughty: Now i'll have that vision too :teehee:

Montreal is quite big, so some parts are flat & some sections are hilly.

The city is built around a mountain, so it is to be expected (as per Nanou, it isn't a "mountain" but a hill.... Switzerland has a different definition of mountain :naughty:)

That being said, i don't recall many hills around the OSM area

this is the google map of the area

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.5094576,-73.5664301,3a,75y,123.52h,87.98t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1soWDV0WZE8buJhmE9G8xFvw!2e0