Good Wife - Discussion and lyrics

I agree, right away the song reminded me of HMDYLM and something from simon&garfunkle.

Thanks for the info about the 2 lines i was wondering about. Guess i just heard penny because i didn't know thst expression. :teehee: it has the same meaning tho, right? Bring home the money?

Yes, actually the very beginning of the song reminds me of Paul Simon's Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes. So a number of us are getting that Paul Simon connection. :wink2:

And yes, that's what I take it to mean -- bringing home the bacon, we would say. Honestly, if that word isn't plenty, I don't know what else it could be that would make sense. It was the one phrase that was really clear to me from the first time I heard it that night.

Fine tuning, now that we have the majority of the lyrics.

Have been listening more today and I think that the 3rd line has to be "broke, in tears..." not "broken tears". That just makes more sense.

And watching his mouth I'm pretty sure it's "to live in Acapulco..."

I'm going to update the first post with what we have now. :thumb_yello:

• Like 2

I love this song too and I want to add that when he writes songs about misfortunes and other people's crime, he perfectly knows how to do it   :naughty:

I agree. The story he tells was real for me few months ago and I love the way he sings about it - like it was very funny, and well it is pretty funny:-). If you look at what hes doing with his hands while singing... I had to laugh, and I´m laughing until now  :naughty: especially if I imagined me thinking in this way about somebody :thumb_yello:  :naughty:  :teehee:   :das:

I can't remember the last time I was THIS excited about a new Mika song. Probably One Foot Boy.

It's perfect. It's got catchy rhythm like Blue Eyes and Love Today, it's got falsetto used like it was in How Much Do You Love Me, and it's got the intricate storytelling of Toy Boy. I watched half a clip from NYC but hadn't paid it a ton of attention. Tonight, in LA, it blew the roof off. Everyone I talked to after the gig was singling it out as an obvious highlight of the gig.

Well done, Mika. You rockstar, you. :wub2:

• Like 3

YouTuber La Vie D'orange posted this one from the LA gig. The audio is really clear:

It is nice and clear for the most part, but I still can't make out the few words that I have questions about -- guess I'm a watcher not by choice, it's just what I was ???? :huh:   What? He hits his head in both performances -- but I just can't think of what word that could be. :dunno:

It is nice and clear for the most part, but I still can't make out the few words that I have questions about -- guess I'm a watcher not by choice, it's just what I was ???? :huh: What? He hits his head in both performances -- but I just can't think of what word that could be. :dunno:

I think it's: it's just what I was told

Hi! It would mean the world to me if you'd watch the lyrics video I made for the song 'good wife'. There could be mistakes in it but I think it's pretty clear. It's called: 'MIKA - Good Wife Lyrics'.

Please leave a like, that would make me very happy :)

Thank you for the words on the video. I've been singing it to my husband! I clicked the "like" button.

Hi! It would mean the world to me if you'd watch the lyrics video I made for the song 'good wife'. There could be mistakes in it but I think it's pretty clear. It's called: 'MIKA - Good Wife Lyrics'.

Please leave a like, that would make me very happy :)

Thanks a million!!! :-) It's very, very easy to give you a "like" click!! Much more than that: You're my hero - for making this wonderful song so available with video added !!! :-) I will show it to my whole fam. - one after another - thank you sooo much!! Enjoy your day, in the land of tulips ...:-)

Love,love

me

I think it's: it's just what I was told

Yes, I was watching some of the Belasco gig videos last night and I came to that conclusion myself. I think it is "told" also. :thumb_yello:

• Like 1

I really love this song :wub:, everything is so good in it: lyrics, melody, Mika's voice and this kind of vintage wibe like in Fun's songs. Do you think it could be a good single?

• Like 2

I really love this song :wub:, everything is so good in it: lyrics, melody, Mika's voice and this kind of vintage wibe like in Fun's songs. Do you think it could be a good single?

Well it kicks Talk About You right out of the ball park, so yes.

For me it's a yes. I thought it for the fist time I heard the song.

Edited by Mikasister
  • Like 3

Great work girls, thank you! Among the new songs, for me this is THE One. I knew I would love it from the moment I heard the snippet on Accès Illimité. Nicely done Mika :)

Edited by Log lady
  • Like 2

Definitely! A good, international Mika single. It would make people remember him, and how extraordinary he is as a singer-songwriter.

Edited by Manon14

Definitely! A good, international Mika single. It would make people remember him, and how extraordinary he is as a singer-songwriter.

I agree - Good Wife has got what it takes - to be an international hit -:)

Love,love

me

For me it's a yes. I thought it for the fist time I heard the song.

I agree - Good Wife has got what it takes - to be an international hit - :)

Love,love

me

Just think for a moment about Grace Kelly. That was unlike any other song and was a huge international hit. This is another such song. I've said on another thread that I can't understand the record company. They've heard all of the songs on the album, before we have heard them, and they  pick Talk About You as the lead single. It's a nice enough song, but it's formulaic, not truly Mika and everyone says it sounds like other songs. Mika even had to make certain no one would accuse him of copying another two songs.

The only songs Good Wife reminds me of are Love Today and HMDYLM, both Mika songs. It's completely unique and the story is so brave, about a gay man in love with his straight best friend, so they can never get together in this life. Maybe in the next life, Mika could be his wife. The song is pure gold.

One good thing though, with the internet and social media, songs that aren't singles can become hits. Maybe there is a way to get Good Wife out there, despite the record company's choices of singles.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin
  • Like 4

Well said Marilyn :thumb_yello: It is pure gold :fangurl:

I listen to it all the time and it plays in my head on repeat too :wub2:

As he said in his LA interview it certainly is a very honest and personal album made without any worries about what people would think as that was the case with LICM and made in an intimate and simple way so it sounds like pure Mika :wub2:

MIKA IS GOLDEN - so what comes out, from his mouth and fingers, is pure gold!! :-) He's the best singer/songwriter in the world!! -:)

I really should wish that more people got the change to experience it. Imho, it would make their lives richer...-:)

Love,love

me

Well said Marilyn :thumb_yello: It is pure gold :fangurl:

I listen to it all the time and it plays in my head on repeat too :wub2:

As he said in his LA interview it certainly is a very honest and personal album made without any worries about what people would think as that was the case with LICM and made in an intimate and simple way so it sounds like pure Mika :wub2:

MIKA IS GOLDEN - so what comes out, from his mouth and fingers, is pure gold!! :-) He's the best singer/songwriter in the world!! - :)

I really should wish that more people got the change to experience it. Imho, it would make their lives richer...- :)

Love,love

me

I saw an interview with subtitles where Mika was talking about TAY and said that he didn't know it was going to be a single when he had written it. I think he wrote it as a dance track, but definitely put his heart and soul into Good Wife, and it's a shame the record company couldn't be as brave as Mika is, and put that song out there as a single. 

• Like 2

there's defianlty something very folk-ish about this song, i can't quite put my finger on it.It reminds of Mumford and Sons a bit,or something Simon and Garfunkle would be proud of.One things for sure, i can see this being one of my fav Mika songs :D

• Like 3