MIKA @ BBC Radio 2 w/ Jo Whiley, 13 May 2015

eugenio

Exactly!

He said he was happy with his anonimity here, as far as paps go.

Doing X Factor would open him up to that, one way or another.

May be good for getting him noticed as a celeb, not sure about anything else.

But what else is he going to say about that? Citing his anonymity in the UK is the only positive spin anyone could possibly put on his rapid descent from stardom. It doesn't mean he purposely chose lack of success in the UK to preserve his privacy. He really hasn't had much choice in the matter the past few years and I highly doubt he is going to turn down opportunities in the UK because it may lead to him becoming a celebrity. He wouldn't have gotten into this business in the first place if that's how he felt.

In any case IMO he has never coveted "privacy" and certainly not anonymity as much as he claimed. He was just desperate to avoid answering questions about his sexuality and his relationship because he was terrified of discussing it in public. But I think he is far removed from that timid 23 year old now and has learned to deal with it. He never gets involved in anything that would be highly gossip worthy in the UK and I doubt any tabloid stories of him will reveal anything that isn't already public knowledge. Maybe he won't be able to go to the grocery store without people approaching him anymore but he doesn't seem that bothered about it happening in France and Italy. How much time does even spend leading a normal life in the UK now anyway? It seems like a matter of days per year at this point and he's already spending most of his time in countries where he is highly recognizable.

• Like 2

Hm, I have another opportunity, The voice of Germany needs a new coach cause the singer of sunrise avenue will not do it longer--Mika you "just" have to learn German :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: and for me it would be much easier as to watch a show in french or italyn where I understand not much :doh:

But what else is he going to say about that? Citing his anonymity in the UK is the only positive spin anyone could possibly put on his rapid descent from stardom. It doesn't mean he purposely chose lack of success in the UK to preserve his privacy. He really hasn't had much choice in the matter the past few years and I highly doubt he is going to turn down opportunities in the UK because it may lead to him becoming a celebrity. He wouldn't have gotten into this business in the first place if that's how he felt.

In any case IMO he has never coveted "privacy" and certainly not anonymity as much as he claimed. He was just desperate to avoid answering questions about his sexuality and his relationship because he was terrified of discussing it in public. But I think he is far removed from that timid 23 year old now and has learned to deal with it. He never gets involved in anything that would be highly gossip worthy in the UK and I doubt any tabloid stories of him will reveal anything that isn't already public knowledge. Maybe he won't be able to go to the grocery store without people approaching him anymore but he doesn't seem that bothered about it happening in France and Italy. How much time does even spend leading a normal life in the UK now anyway? It seems like a matter of days per year at this point and he's already spending most of his time in countries where he is highly recognizable.

Perhaps the time he does spend here is an oasis of calm away from all that.

I would love him to be known in this country, as a musician in his own right, not Simon Cowells lackey on a joke of a talent show.

And yes, I realise that is something that is so far from happening at the moment, but if he put in more work on doing out and out promo on  the album, something the record plugger we saw on his Periscope last night could pull out all the stops on, he could actually get on with what he claims to be 'his job'.

Hm, I have another opportunity, The voice of Germany needs a new coach cause the singer of sunrise avenue will not do it longer--Mika you "just" have to learn German :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: and for me it would be much easier as to watch a show in french or italyn where I understand not much :doh:

did the sunrise avenue guy actually talk german? i know howard from take that talked mostly english on that dance show, so mika probably wouldn't even have to learn german. :naughty:

i still hope he spends more time touring tho, than going on all available casting shows. :mf_rosetinted:

did the sunrise avenue guy actually talk german? i know howard from take that talked mostly english on that dance show, so mika probably wouldn't even have to learn german. :naughty:

i still hope he spends more time touring tho, than going on all available casting shows. :mf_rosetinted:

Sami does, each time he did not know a word , he said Ding Dong, it was rather funny, Think Mika will  find a balance between touring and Tv

I'm sure it is but that doesn't mean he isn't willing to sacrifice it to take advantage of an opportunity. Why would he reject XF UK when it is surely worth 10 of these foreign shows put together? Of course we would appreciate it if he had too much integrity or was too busy with his music to do these shows but he has already agreed to do them. There is no indication that he is going to stop any time soon since he is doing XF Italy in the middle of his album release and tour. If that is the career path he's chosen he may as well do the show that offers him the most potential to recapture an English audience either directly or through other opportunities he would gain through celebrity in the UK.

I would love him to be known in this country, as a musician in his own right, not Simon Cowells lackey on a joke of a talent show.

And yes, I realise that is something that is so far from happening at the moment, but if he put in more work on doing out and out promo on  the album, something the record plugger we saw on his Periscope last night could pull out all the stops on, he could actually get on with what he claims to be 'his job'.

There are all kinds of things Mika could do to potentially regain a UK audience in the long run but he's just not going to do them. His schedule is already jam packed with European commitments this year, including another European TV show. Making a comeback in the UK is a full time job. It is not just going to magically happen by playing a few gigs and being a guest on a couple of programs.

I think the chances of this album being his ticket to a comeback are also very slim. He has been highly visible in France for the past 2 years and the lead single from this album is #150-something on the French charts. What are the chances this is going to go anywhere in the UK under the circumstances? What could he possibly do in the next few weeks to make this a hit in the UK?

Mika had a chance 2 years ago to go back and commit to working on his music and a UK comeback full time and he chose to do XF Italy instead. He can't just wave a magic wand and undo it all a month before the album is released. Only a completely radical move is going to help at this point and even being on XF UK is no guarantee he'll actually sell albums. 

Some people just never sell new music no matter how well known they are, even if they are still doing large tours. They become nostalgia acts and fans of their old music are what keep them going. I have seen many artists in recent years whose music I have not bought or seen on the charts in decades.
  • Like 1

Sami does, each time he did not know a word , he said Ding Dong, it was rather funny, Think Mika will  find a balance between touring and Tv

Not if he signs up for every casting show going. If he does the 2 X Factor shows, AND signs up again for The Voice, when is he going to have time to do a proper tour. At the moment, a years worth of touring is being crammed into a few months. It's insane!

I'm sure it is but that doesn't mean he isn't willing to sacrifice it to take advantage of an opportunity. Why would he reject XF UK when it is surely worth 10 of these foreign shows put together? Of course we would appreciate it if he had too much integrity or was too busy with his music to do these shows but he has already agreed to do them. There is no indication that he is going to stop any time soon since he is doing XF Italy in the middle of his album release and tour. If that is the career path he's chosen he may as well do the show that offers him the most potential to recapture an English audience either directly or through other opportunities he would gain through celebrity in the UK.

There are all kinds of things Mika could do to potentially regain a UK audience in the long run but he's just not going to do them. His schedule is already jam packed with European commitments this year, including another European TV show. Making a comeback in the UK is a full time job. It is not just going to magically happen by playing a few gigs and being a guest on a couple of programs.

I think the chances of this album being his ticket to a comeback are also very slim. He has been highly visible in France for the past 2 years and the lead single from this album is #150-something on the French charts. What are the chances this is going to go anywhere in the UK under the circumstances? What could he possibly do in the next few weeks to make this a hit in the UK?

Mika had a chance 2 years ago to go back and commit to working on his music and a UK comeback full time and he chose to do XF Italy instead. He can't just wave a magic wand and undo it all a month before the album is released. Only a completely radical move is going to help at this point and even being on XF UK is no guarantee he'll actually sell albums. 

Some people just never sell new music no matter how well known they are, even if they are still doing large tours. They become nostalgia acts and fans of their old music are what keep them going. I have seen many artists in recent years whose music I have not bought or seen on the charts in decades.

I did say this back when he first signed up for it originally.. That it would give him no time for promo and touring.

• Like 1

Not if he signs up for every casting show going. If he does the 2 X Factor shows, AND signs up again for The Voice, when is he going to have time to do a proper tour. At the moment, a years worth of touring is being crammed into a few months. It's insane!

He doesn't have a year's worth of touring scheduled nor could he. He played 3 dates in the US and one of them didn't sell out. Josh Groban does 200 gigs a year. Mika is never going to have a tour schedule like that. He hasn't toured anything close to that in 5 years.

Right, and if the answer was NO, wouldn't he have just said NO!?

I think the nervous giggle said it all. Unless they've planted the story just to generate buzz and Mika's a really good actor, I'd say that odds are good he's doing X Factor in the UK -- it seems like the story is true that they are at least trying to figure out how he can get around his Italian XF commitment to do it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did one of these shows in the UK as well... It wouldn't make any difference after Italy and France except make his name more known in the UK again. Just wonder if it's possible with the timing and it came to my mind they could be using the story to make people talk about him and to generate buzz as you said. Lol, is he that good actor these days? I guess we just need to wait. Anyone knows how long it takes until they announce the names? 

Edited by tiibet
  • Like 2

I did say this back when he first signed up for it originally.. That it would give him no time for promo and touring.

Anyone who wasn't listening to Mika's nonsense about doing TV shows to continue with his music said that at the time. But it's done now. Two years of complaining about it has not changed his mind and it's going to have even less impact on the reality of the situation in the UK. I don't know what the point is if this endless cycle of hoping things will change and being disappointed when they don't. At least there will be some gigs this year which is more than could be said of last year.

• Like 2

I started by doing mqs but it got too long.

My disappointment is basically the same as it was when he first signed up to these sort of shows.... Be it Italy/France or the Uk. It wasn't what I signed up to all if those years ago. But things change. People change.

I Like Rose) have a deep hatred for these sort of shows. In 2006 I was just pig sick of the X factor manufacturing 'pop stars' who very often had little talent. Mika came along and seemed to be opposed to all of that and was very talented.

I have never watched it, not even once.

Yes, it will raise his profile. But that's not the be all and end all. I am a Mika fan. I'm not particularly bothered if he has hoards of teenagers screaming after him. All I would like is for him to do some gigs here for his fans.

I've just read through the days posts and it strikes me that most people on here don't like the shows themselves. I do like them so I don't see the judges or contestants as "a joke". I'd be so excited sitting down on a Saturday night and having an hour or two of Mika live on TV. With spin off shows and the media stuff that goes with it all, I'd be in heaven. Like Marilyn has said it has increased the "fame" for other musicians who will have already been adored by their fans but the exposure on TV made them household names. He'd be know to the nation as the funny/sweet/quirky/talented guy that we all know he is instead of being referred to by the masses as "that high pitched guy who once sang that 'I could be brown, I could be blue' song".

He'll never be a cool artist in the uk but he could become a liked and well known one.

I kind of think it's too good to be true that it would happen as the scheduling would surely be too tight but I am definitely keeping everything crossed that it does.

I wavered between his giggle meaning 'don't ask me about it as it's all very delicate at this stage' and, like Christine said, it indicating that it was too ridiculous a suggestion to give an answer.

I hope there's news soon though....of this and uk gig dates......too much suspense is not good for a woman of my age!!!!!

• Like 1

I kind of think it's too good to be true that it would happen as the scheduling would surely be too tight but I am definitely keeping everything crossed that it does.

I wavered between his giggle meaning 'don't ask me about it as it's all very delicate at this stage' and, like Christine said, it indicating that it was too ridiculous a suggestion to give an answer.

I hope there's news soon though....of this and uk gig dates......too much suspense is not good for a woman of my age!!!!!

My instinct tells me it won't happen but maybe it's just that I can't believe he could be long forgotten in the UK one day and starring on XF the next. Maybe it doesn't seem that way to Mika because he's been working on XF Italy for 2 years so it's not overnight as far as he's concerned but I have been tuning it all out so it's difficult to imagine. I don't believe for a minute that Mika would ever turn it down however.

The bookies are favouring Grimmy.

Edited by Christine

I've just read through the days posts and it strikes me that most people on here don't like the shows themselves. I do like them so I don't see the judges or contestants as "a joke". I'd be so excited sitting down on a Saturday night and having an hour or two of Mika live on TV. With spin off shows and the media stuff that goes with it all, I'd be in heaven. Like Marilyn has said it has increased the "fame" for other musicians who will have already been adored by their fans but the exposure on TV made them household names. He'd be know to the nation as the funny/sweet/quirky/talented guy that we all know he is instead of being referred to by the masses as "that high pitched guy who once sang that 'I could be brown, I could be blue' song".

He'll never be a cool artist in the uk but he could become a liked and well known one.

I love what you've said! I'd be as happy as a flea on Melachi, if I could sit down on Saturday evenings and bask in Mika. He's more than just a pop star. He has such a charismatic personality, but as you have said, in the UK he was known as "the high-pitched guy who sings GK". There is also the fact that he's getting older and maybe wants other things than just doing gigs. I've always said that he;s got so much going for him that he can have many strings to his bow. I've also said that anything he does, leads people to his music in the end. I think he would still have time to write songs, in fact, I see a difference in Mika since he put himself out there on TV abroad, he's much more comfortable in front  of the camera now. He used to seem awkward in 2007, and that's the image the UK still have of him, but that would change if he was on X Factor.

Also, X Factor is about music. He's not signed up for Celebrity Big Brother or gone in the jungle to eat pig's thingies in the Bushtucker Trial. He's stayed true to what he is, a knowledgeable musician. He'd be so good on X Factor UK. I think Simon knows this from his success in Italy.

If he wants to write a musical and get it into the West End, he needs to be known. Not have people saying "Mika? Who is she?" Which is what they usually say. Or, "Mika? I remember he was quite good, but he's finished now isn't he."

I see nothing wrong with Mika being a celebrity. Let's face it, he's the kind of celeb that young people should be proud to emulate. He's a good man, he doesn't sleep around, he's not selling his stories to the celebrity mags and no one has ever been able to do a "kiss and tell" story about him.

Once again, I hope the rumour is true. 

• Like 2

I am starting to hope that it's true. Now that he's definitely doing X Factor Italy again, I would love it if he did the UK one as well. As said, it's great exposure for him as a person in the UK! Plus, I would be able to watch it :) I do follow The Voice and I like watching it (2 hours of Mika every week!), but I don't understand Italian..

• Like 1

If he wants to write a musical and get it into the West End, he needs to be known. Not have people saying "Mika? Who is she?" Which is what they usually say. Or, "Mika? I remember he was quite good, but he's finished now isn't he."

that's a good point  :thumb_yello: