Good Gone Girl - Lyrics and discussion

Suzy

are the 'phonies' and 'painted ponies' lines reference to The Catcher in the Rye, perhaps?

Oh good call. :thumb_yello:

Riding the painted ponies in an attempt to grab the brass ring. That fits in with my vision of what this story is about.

I love your interpretation, and the general meaning of this song has such obvious links to some lines from Love Today. The narrator perspective in the both songs is pretty dark despite their dance or joyfull sound.

Never thought about that before. This is probably why these are 2 of my favourite songs from Mika :aah:

I love your interpretation, and the general meaning of this song has such obvious links to some lines from Love Today. The narrator perspective in the both songs is pretty dark despite their dance or joyfull sound.

Thaankyou. Haven't really thought about the links to other songs actually, i might have to try that now:thumb_yello: & Yeah, again completely agree with that. The song is really upbeat & joyful, but actually it has a sadder meaning to each indivual story.

ggg is my fav in TBWKTM! Sad lyrics and happy tune. I always feel seventeen again when I listen to it♥ I hope Mika will sing it when I'll finally attending one of his gigs thi summer!:) I'd love it to be a single too! :)

Never thought about that before. This is probably why these are 2 of my favourite songs from Mika :aah:

Thaankyou. Haven't really thought about the links to other songs actually' date=' i might have to try that now:thumb_yello: & Yeah, again completely agree with that. The song is really upbeat & joyful, but actually it has a sadder meaning to each indivual story.[/quote']

ggg is my fav in TBWKTM! Sad lyrics and happy tune. I always feel seventeen again when I listen to it♥ I hope Mika will sing it when I'll finally attending one of his gigs thi summer!:) I'd love it to be a single too! :)

It's very interesting what Shade has recently said about her melancholic mellodies: "I think it's less sad than some joyfull and upbeated songs". Did she have just Mika in her mind perhaps?:blink: It sounds really cool and true to me.:wink2:

When the end of the night gets tricky

Don't you know that beggars can't be picky?

unable to understand them...:blink:

can't get the correlations between' When the end of the night gets tricky'

and 'Don't you know that beggars can't be picky' ...

just for rhyme or have hidden meanings?

plz help..... :naughty:

I always imagine it to be a bar scene where she is looking to hook up with a man but she's not 17 and gorgeous anymore so this doesn't come as easily as it used to and she no longer has her choice of any man in the room. By the end of the night people have already either paired off or the ones who are not interested in getting together with someone they've just met have gone home. So that just leaves her with a few bad options. She's a beggar because she's looking for a man who's golden (he must be rich) and she can't be picky (she has to overlook the fact that he's old and ugly) because that's all that's on offer.

I always imagine it to be a bar scene where she is looking to hook up with a man but she's not 17 and gorgeous anymore so this doesn't come as easily as it used to and she no longer has her choice of any man in the room. By the end of the night people have already either paired off or the ones who are not interested in getting together with someone they've just met have gone home. So that just leaves her with a few bad options. She's a beggar because she's looking for a man who's golden (he must be rich) and she can't be picky (she has to overlook the fact that he's old and ugly) because that's all that's on offer.

ohhhhh

thank you so much

that really make sense now :biggrin2:

I always thought it kinda differently...at the end of the night when everyone's high at the club, they're like 'beggars' coz they can't be picky coz they're drunk and can't care enough if they like her or not...they'll simply use her...

I don't know but this is just my interpretation :) it depends on how you look at it

I always thought it kinda differently...at the end of the night when everyone's high at the club, they're like 'beggars' coz they can't be picky coz they're drunk and can't care enough if they like her or not...they'll simply use her...

I don't know but this is just my interpretation :) it depends on how you look at it

Thx for your interpretions too :biggrin2:

GGG is one of hardest song to understand...for me....

some hidden meanings... so confusing.. :blink:.. Im translating the whole LICM and TBWNTM songs into my mother tongue so it's hard to pick specific meaning for the translations...:naughty:

some hidden meanings... so confusing.. :blink:.. Im translating the whole LICM and TBWNTM songs into my mother tongue so it's hard to pick specific meaning for the translations...:naughty:

hmm...yea i can understand how the song would mean something different when you translate it....but it's really cool that you're doing it....nd it would be even cooler of u cud try to sing it in your mother tongue:thumb_yello:....given it a try?:wink2:

Honestly I don't know what Mika means half the time and before I came to MFC and heard people discussing the lyrics I almost blanked them out. To me his voice was just another instrument that composed the music and I never gave much thought to these lyrics that make little sense to me on the surface.

"Beggars can't be choosers" however is a common expression in English so I think this line is fairly straightforward for a native speaker.

Toy Boy is my favourite song lyrically because it makes a lot of sense on a literal level so I find it easier to process the other possible meanings of the lyrics.

hmm...yea i can understand how the song would mean something different when you translate it....but it's really cool that you're doing it....nd it would be even cooler of u cud try to sing it in your mother tongue:thumb_yello:....given it a try?:wink2:

I've done 'Love Today' and 'GGG' so far. and I found it's reall difficult to translate lyrics to another language... my translation is a lot better than my writing but am not a professional translator.. and Mika's words have multiple meanings...i guess.

and singin them in korean....it'd sound really funny .. cuz totally unable to rhyme at all :aah:

Honestly I don't know what Mika means half the time and before I came to MFC and heard people discussing the lyrics I almost blanked them out. To me his voice was just another instrument that composed the music and I never gave much thought to these lyrics that make little sense to me on the surface.

"Beggars can't be choosers" however is a common expression in English so I think this line is fairly straightforward for a native speaker.

Toy Boy is my favourite song lyrically because it makes a lot of sense on a literal level so I find it easier to process the other possible meanings of the lyrics.

yes his voice just sounds like a instrument for me... if do not see the written lyrics can't understand his words by listening :naughty: so intresting to find that even for the native english speakers too...umm ...in some point... :biggrin2:

Toy boy is one of the hardest too... I've try to read all posts on lyrics discussion thread but there were....over 600 more posts in there :shocked:

Edited by Yuna

My interpretation of that sentence is that the good gone girl makes a living sleeping with men ; as she gets older she has less choice (tricky) and she can't be picky about the man as long as he has enough money to give her as she totally depends on men (she's compared to a beggar and she has to manage with whatever she gets)

Does that help you a bit with translating? :wink2:

I hope so!:biggrin2:

I love Good gone girl so much! It's my fav in TBWKTM!:wub2:

Good luck with your translations! :huglove:

My interpretation of that sentence is that the good gone girl makes a living sleeping with men ; as she gets older she has less choice (tricky) and she can't be picky about the man as long as he has enough money to give her as she totally depends on men (she's compared to a beggar and she has to manage with whatever she gets)

Does that help you a bit with translating? :wink2:

I hope so!:biggrin2:

I love Good gone girl so much! It's my fav in TBWKTM!:wub2:

Good luck with your translations! :huglove:

Thank you so much

I translated it all finally :wub2: wooooo it's not easy but very fun!!!

much better than boring english textbooks :naughty:

• 4 weeks later...

hi all,

I postulate that the line:

"Like a movie that is filled with lust"

is actually..

"Like a movie that is filled until the last"

listen carefully, and keep in mind mika is usually a meticulous rhymer.

:):thumb_yello:

hi all,

is actually..

hmmmm but what would "like a movie that is filled until the last" mean, to me it doesnt make any sense :blink:

hi all,

is actually..

No, it's "filled with lust", because then it carries on with "comin' at you with a DD bust."

If you enter the disc into your drive you'll get bonus stuff, like lyrics. So...read the lyrics. :wink2:

hi all,

is actually..

Yes, we did listen carefully and that was actually our first version until we saw the lyrics published in the CD booklet. :dunno:

You might absolutely be right, however, since there have been many instances before when we found that the ’official’ lyrics were not in line with what Mika was actually singing. I also have a question mark about that line. However, not because of the rhyme (lust rhymes better with bust) but because of the rhythm. ”Filled until the last” contains 2 more syllables than ”filled with lust” , so taking that into consideration I’d go for more syllables as that is what I can hear…

hmmmm but what would "like a movie that is filled until the last" mean, to me it doesnt make any sense :blink:

It would make sense to me, actually. It would be a reference to someone taking each and every opportunity that comes along her way and in general, a girl who is over the top.

I rarely pay much attention to lyrics in general since most of the time it is pretty obvious for me what they are all about, so that is enough for me. However, there are instances when I love discussing the little nuances and unwrap any hidden meanings or different, yet undiscouvered layers.

For example, I always thought that GGG was a song about the 2 different ways of a young girl’s claim to fame. They have a slightly different approach: the first one taking advantage of her attractiveness to become a household name and using everyone along the way, whilst the other one having this hateful and sarcastic attitude, frowning at everyone and everything and caring about noone but herself. Little does the second one realise that for those who meet everyone with a kick in the kidney or in a drunken state, the opportunities of finding a proper partner are highly reduced..etc

However, the idea that the difference between these two stories is in the age group – either two different women or the second one being the first one 20 years later – also fits the lyrics:

So, I think GGG is also a great example of complex lyrics that have several layers of interpretation, like Toy Boy or Stuck In the Middle…

Yes, we did listen carefully and that was actually our first version until we saw the lyrics published in the CD booklet. :dunno:

You might absolutely be right, however, since there have been many instances before when we found that the ’official’ lyrics were not in line with what Mika was actually singing. I also have a question mark about that line. However, not because of the rhyme (lust rhymes better with bust) but because of the rhythm. ”Filled until the last” contains 2 more syllables than ”filled with lust” , so taking that into consideration I’d go for more syllables as that is what I can hear…

It would make sense to me, actually. It would be a reference to someone taking each and every opportunity that comes along her way and in general, a girl who is over the top.

I rarely pay much attention to lyrics in general since most of the time it is pretty obvious for me what they are all about, so that is enough for me. However, there are instances when I love discussing the little nuances and unwrap any hidden meanings or different, yet undiscouvered layers.

For example, I always thought that GGG was a song about the 2 different ways of a young girl’s claim to fame. They have a slightly different approach: the first one taking advantage of her attractiveness to become a household name and using everyone along the way, whilst the other one having this hateful and sarcastic attitude, frowning at everyone and everything and caring about noone but herself. Little does the second one realise that for those who meet everyone with a kick in the kidney or in a drunken state, the opportunities of finding a proper partner are highly reduced..etc

However, the idea that the difference between these two stories is in the age group – either two different women or the second one being the first one 20 years later – also fits the lyrics:

So, I think GGG is also a great example of complex lyrics that have several layers of interpretation, like Toy Boy or Stuck In the Middle…

ohhhhh, when you put it that way it does make sense, but i still do think that its "like a movie that is filled with lust" i just dont hear the other words

My theory on GGG is maybe this girl is trying to get a break and starts off with all these morals and ideals about how she'll be able to say she's got a clean slate and works hard and doesn't drink etc but can't... hence "the life you wanted, you were only 17 with a Good Girl dream" - fame and fortune, without the cost.

(Or maybe she never really cared about morals and such, just pretended to.)

BUT she soon discovers it's not easy, and starts to fall apart, and "needs somebody to notice" but her pride in her morals - her "goodness" - "gets her down"

Also, about the "when the end of the night gets tricky, don't you know that beggars can't be picky?"... I always thought this was him saying "beggars can't be choosers"... she wants to go home with someone at the end of the night, but, in Holly Golightly-style, refuses to settle for second best and wants a rich man, young or not, even if she's now past her best and no-one really wants her...?

I don't know, just offering my tuppence worth.

Like a movie that is filled with lust

Coming at you with a double D bust.

(equals)

Like a movie that is filled until the last

Coming at you with a double D blast.

:) <3

:shocked:

Wow! it is rhytm AND rhyme now....:blink:

I am almost fully convinced.:biggrin2:

well, I had always thought it was "double-D blast" ... i just missed that the lyrics said "bust" ... and mika's accent obscures the vowels as such to make ... last sound like 'lost' and blast sound like 'blost'

:biggrin2:

I wish a linguist or a speech therapist visited the One Foot Boy thread, too. :puppy_eyes:

The falsetto part is most obsucre there - we didn't even agree on the first line "Don't stay, I could be lost in you" - let alone the line that follows it. :no: