Mika attends Paris Fashion Week Haute Couture Spring/Summer 2020

Kumazzz

11 hours ago, Siri said:

Sorry to ask buuuut...what does camp mean? :sweatdrop:

No worries! I didnt know what it meant either, until the Met Gala came around (camp was their 2019 theme) and I looked it up. And I was in for a surprise! Look what happened hahaha

Screenshot_2020-01-26-11-01-52.png

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Siri said:

Sorry to ask buuuut...what does camp mean? :sweatdrop:

As @silver said the term is hard to describe but its basically self-couscious ironic kitsch, it is something that would be considered bad taste but the joke is that both the 'artist' and the audience know it is tacky or over the top which gives its camp value to a piece of clothing, art etc. Personally, I would consider Mika's earlier style and the suits from X Factor as camp not this skirt or his more recent style.

Also camp is just an aestethic, when people ( and I dont mean fans to be clear ) call Mika or any other person camp it is oftenly dismissive and meant as 'cheesy' :teehee:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WeirdChild said:

I have never seen people say camp means cheesy. They are nothing alike. Camp is like a bit femenine, a but gay and its a fantastic really good thing. 

we stan a camp King

Uhm, cheesy and camp are strongly related aestethics, the first is just more naive lol. Anyway, I assumed it was outdated to use camp as a description of behaviour but I guess in UK camp still means 'effeminate gay man'?, though I always took the articles describing Mika as camp as an ironic way of saying 'this is fun bad taste':teehee:

The Wikipedia article describes it quite thoroughly, also the difference between kitsch and camp:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_(style) 

(btw it even mentions Mika as an example, in the section "around the world" ;) )

Another slang word I just had to look up was "stan" - good that being a Mika fan keeps my knowledge up to date! :lmfao:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mellody said:

(btw it even mentions Mika as an example, in the section "around the world" ;)

I wasnt trying to argue that Mika isnt camp ( though the line mentioning him asks for a reliable citation too :teehee: ) but about the fact that kilts arent camp :lmfao:

Mika and Jordan Roth

Jordan Roth - Wikipedia

Jordan Roth (born November 13, 1975) is an American theater producer. He is the president and majority owner of Jujamcyn Theaters in New York City.

Roth oversees five Broadway theatres including the St. James, Al Hirschfeld, August Wilson, Eugene O'Neill, and the Walter Kerr.

mikainstagram story

82185374_512573139389246_7546313370827288100_n.thumb.jpg.6e41483ec4a7eff018f0af135bff4da4.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/stories/jordan_roth/

83176852_653971042042283_6577846165543769238_n.thumb.jpg.844d9ff8b617be14f47cd4354a1784da.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ellie said:

Uhm, cheesy and camp are strongly related aestethics, the first is just more naive lol. Anyway, I assumed it was outdated to use camp as a description of behaviour but I guess in UK camp still means 'effeminate gay man'?, though I always took the articles describing Mika as camp as an ironic way of saying 'this is fun bad taste':teehee:

Camp is something exaggerated for humorous effect, whereas cheesy is more trying too hard and going over the top - too sentimental, too tacky (something that makes you inwardly cringe).

Camp got to be associated with effeminate gay men mainly because gay comedians would exaggerate those mannerisms for laughs (Larry Grayson, Kenneth Williams,  - a more modern example would be Tom Allen).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ellie said:

I wasnt trying to argue that Mika isnt camp ( though the line mentioning him asks for a reliable citation too :teehee: ) but about the fact that kilts arent camp :lmfao:

I understand your point about the kilt, and my comment wasn't referring to what you wrote - I was just happy to see Mika mentioned on Wikipedia. :teehee:

2 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

Mika and Jordan Roth

Jordan Roth - Wikipedia

Jordan Roth (born November 13, 1975) is an American theater producer. He is the president and majority owner of Jujamcyn Theaters in New York City.

Roth oversees five Broadway theatres including the St. James, Al Hirschfeld, August Wilson, Eugene O'Neill, and the Walter Kerr.

mikainstagram story

82185374_512573139389246_7546313370827288100_n.thumb.jpg.6e41483ec4a7eff018f0af135bff4da4.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/stories/jordan_roth/

83176852_653971042042283_6577846165543769238_n.thumb.jpg.844d9ff8b617be14f47cd4354a1784da.jpg

1975, really?! :shocked: I wouldn't have estimated this guy a day older than 30, more like early 20s!

Edit: OK I just looked on his IG, and it's just the pix with Mika where he looks so young. :teehee: But to follow up our other conversation, I'd say he's a good example of "camp". :thumb_yello:

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, silver said:

Camp is something exaggerated for humorous effect, whereas cheesy is more trying too hard and going over the top - too sentimental, too tacky (something that makes you inwardly cringe).

Camp got to be associated with effeminate gay men mainly because gay comedians would exaggerate those mannerisms for laughs (Larry Grayson, Kenneth Williams,  - a more modern example would be Tom Allen).

Thanks, I knew the difference between camp and cheesy, just pointing out they may get confused, same with camp/kitsch but I dont think Ive express myself very well :aah:

I wasnt aware of the gay comedians however and I guess I can see Mika's tv persona as an atempt at camp - he was the bitchy one X Factor, some segments of Casa Mika - but otherwise it seems reductive and dare I say innacurate ( while Mika does inhabit some gay stereotypes, effeminacy isnt really one of those :teehee:).

Now if someone would want to describe Mika as flamboyant thats something I'll totally agree with :lmfao: