The Butterfly Lounge MFC bar and dance club (open to everyone)

33 minutes ago, silver said:

or a smoothie

Healthy Smoothie Recipes | EatingWell

Actually I used to have to travel to Oxford very early in the morning, and always had a breakfast smoothie at the railway station - banana, very cold milk, oats, berries - absolutely delicious.

I don't suppose the smoothie concession is still there now.

I've never been fussed about smoothies, don't know why - in theory they sound good and I like all those individual ingredients but blend them together and nope. I think the banana makes it too thick for me. Closest I can do is the Innocent Berry Set Go, which is more a mix of fruit and veg juices.

Been googling, was it Vitaburst? They seem to have started really well, lots of good reviews from around 2007 - 2010, opened a 2nd outlet at Reading station, but no recent mentions or reviews. :dunno:

12 hours ago, Hero said:

Been googling, was it Vitaburst? They seem to have started really well, lots of good reviews from around 2007 - 2010, opened a 2nd outlet at Reading station, but no recent mentions or reviews. :dunno:

Can't remember the name - Oxford Station is being redeveloped so I think there is only a coffee bar open there atm.

On the topic of smoothies... I seem to only enjoy them when I'm overseas, particularly in the summer. Here, at home with my mixer and all kinds of fresh fruit, I'm like "meh," but some of my favorite local places I discovered in France and Italy were smoothie/juice bars. Maybe the Europeans just do fruit better.

I still mourn the fact that we don't have nearly as many pear-centric treats here in the U.S. But then again, we have peanut butter, which I gathered is not nearly as popular in Europe. Since I brought it up, here are some Poire Williams chocolates and peanut brittle for everyone to enjoy!

image.thumb.png.94dce76ec08f5440b7bbd4706b82b9a3.png

image.thumb.png.a601f6b52e58cf9fcae4e9812951aea3.png

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Aki Celeste said:

I still mourn the fact that we don't have nearly as many pear-centric treats here in the U.S.

Same here! I love pears but I've never seen those Poire Williams chocolates here in the UK (if it wasn't for the brandy flavouring I would try them!), poor choice of sweets here but we do have pear drops, to me they don't really taste like pears, I do like them but they're very sugary! 🍐 

pear-drops.thumb.jpg.1b3b6b04c2eed91a3f3965c81b5eeb4e.jpg

I do get pear juice from the supermarket though :licks_lips:

benefits-of-pear-juice.thumb.jpg.6ab64993b6da888a2bc50cf81cdcda68.jpg

Not a fan of smoothies (find them too thick and the oat and yoghurt ones? YUCK!), however I do have one exception, mango! 🥭 

Mango-Smoothies_exps40117_RDS2677379B02_15_5bC_RMS.thumb.jpg.6a687da2986cd147a3cd08d6f7ad14b1.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

we do have pear drops, to me they don't really taste like pears, I do like them but they're very sugary! 🍐 

I love pear drops! Not had any in ages, might get some tomorrow. And some sherbet lemons. 🍋 Love that sour fizzy tang. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aki Celeste said:

But then again, we have peanut butter, which I gathered is not nearly as popular in Europe.

Oh but it is, I live half of the week on peanut butter… especially when I’m in training (I’m a runner)… but you’re right, there are less peanut butter infused products and also less peanut butter integrated dishes. I however compensate for the regular European with my consumption :biggrin2:

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Oh but it is, I live half of the week on peanut butter… especially when I’m in training (I’m a runner)… but you’re right, there are less peanut butter infused products and also less peanut butter integrated dishes. I however compensate for the regular European with my consumption :biggrin2:

Peanut butter kit-kats are the best. :yes: And spread on hot toast - nom. 

11 minutes ago, Hero said:

I guess I have weird taste buds because I do love peanut butter kit-kats too and anything Reese's, but I really don't like peanut butter out of the jar, I find it too bitter! 😅

3 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I guess I have weird taste buds because I do love peanut butter kit-kats too and anything Reese's, but I really don't like peanut butter out of the jar, I find it too bitter! 😅

I tend to avoid Reese's as they use GM peanuts in their products.

I love peanut butter (crunchy peanut butter and banana sandwiches - yum), and actually use it a lot in cooking as it makes a good sauce.

• Like 1

I am delighted to be proven wrong in my assumption that peanut butter is not well-loved across the pond. :D I'm not a huge fan of it myself, but it does complement the taste of chocolate so well that I can't always resist when it's offered to me. I also enjoy using it in cooking from time to time, crunchy of course. Peanut brittle is not my thing at all, but I have family from the South, so I felt a need to acknowledge my roots somehow.

Back to the subject of smoothies, I agree that mangoes are magic, as are blueberries. There's a local cafe that makes something called a Nutty Banana, which is not half bad (banana and peanut butter mixed with almond milk), but I can't even remember the last time I treated myself to one. This time of year, I gravitate toward warm drinks anyway. There's another cafe that serves a coffee latte drink sweetened with honey and cardamom, called a Cardi Bee - absolute heaven!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Hero said:

No, KitKats with peanut butter spread on them are best :yes: (guilty! So guilty of doing this!)

3 minutes ago, Aki Celeste said:

There's a local cafe that makes something called a Nutty Banana

This sounds absolutely glorious, I will try it next time after a run.

I‘m not a big fan of smoothies either, nor juice. It’s all too sweet and sour for me and just stomach gets upset easily… oh the joys of aging! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aki Celeste said:

There's another cafe that serves a coffee latte drink sweetened with honey and cardamom, called a Cardi Bee - absolute heaven!

That is genius! And I want to try it!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Aki Celeste said:

I am delighted to be proven wrong in my assumption that peanut butter is not well-loved across the pond. :D I'm not a huge fan of it myself, but it does complement the taste of chocolate so well that I can't always resist when it's offered to me. I also enjoy using it in cooking from time to time, crunchy of course. Peanut brittle is not my thing at all, but I have family from the South, so I felt a need to acknowledge my roots somehow.

Back to the subject of smoothies, I agree that mangoes are magic, as are blueberries. There's a local cafe that makes something called a Nutty Banana, which is not half bad (banana and peanut butter mixed with almond milk), but I can't even remember the last time I treated myself to one. This time of year, I gravitate toward warm drinks anyway. There's another cafe that serves a coffee latte drink sweetened with honey and cardamom, called a Cardi Bee - absolute heaven!

I don't like smoothies but I looooove peanut butter straight out of the jar or cooked with chicken mafé (salted dish) and I love peanut butter cups (I make them myself with dark and also with white chocolate) 

I started making them myself as they weren't available in France then they became available but I realized home made were better...and now I make keto ones (with dark or white sugarfree chocolate) 

I made lots fot xmas :licks_lips:

I need to try and make keto peanut britle too I haven't tasted those yet and I'm very curious to :drool:

I saw them for the first time on Perez Hilton's instagram and I have wanted to try them ever since :lustslow:

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Aki Celeste said:

I do a keto coffee latte a bit similar. Cardamon is delicious in coffee.

• Like 1

Recently tried biscuit spread and I thought it was a relatively new thing, but it turns out that "cookie butter" has been around for quite a long time in both the US and Central Europe! 

It's absolutely delicious!!! 😋  Tastes great just on plain bread, crackers or even on chocolate, and can be used in baking!

708.thumb.jpg.21d48bce1c045e867a8d6fc3cf3b2a2c.jpg

1074451_10153059056305051_1516097801_o-500x521.thumb.jpg.f5678f59f4a1f5d6f1b39f613874bb56.jpg

It actually does taste like the biscuits too! I've only tried the smooth spread but I will try the crunchy next time!

no-bake-lotus-biscoff-cheesecake-9.thumb.jpg.3948ffa1223d43aadbcb2b913674c198.jpg

(other brands of biscuit spread are available)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Recently tried biscuit spread and I thought it was a relatively new thing, but it turns out that "cookie butter" has been around for quite a long time in both the US and Central Europe! 

It's absolutely delicious!!! 😋  Tastes great just on plain bread, crackers or even on chocolate, and can be used in baking!

1074451_10153059056305051_1516097801_o-500x521.thumb.jpg.f5678f59f4a1f5d6f1b39f613874bb56.jpg

It actually does taste like the biscuits too! I've only tried the smooth spread but I will try the crunchy next time!

no-bake-lotus-biscoff-cheesecake-9.thumb.jpg.3948ffa1223d43aadbcb2b913674c198.jpg

Yay, you've found a spread you like! 😊 

The gelateria in town serves waffles and crepes with a 'signature' Biscoff sauce. They also do a Biscoff milkshake. I need to go back and try it. Although the Ferrero Rocher milkshake sounds good too. :licks_lips:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Get that away from me! It’s dangerous!!! I will eat it all in one go :facepalm:

I’ve always loved their cookies and regularly bought them to serve them with coffee/tea at my place. Then this came out and until that moment I did not know what I was missing in my life! :lol3:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Get that away from me! It’s dangerous!!! I will eat it all in one go :facepalm:

I’ve always loved their cookies and regularly bought them to serve them with coffee/tea at my place. Then this came out and until that moment I did not know what I was missing in my life! :lol3:

What if it's swirled with peanut butter and chocolate spread? 

:eek:

• Like 3