If I were you (?) new song on Instagram live, 29 Nov 2021

mellody

Here we can discuss the song Mika presented on his Insta live today, that he has written together with Amy Wadge just yesterday. :wub2: We obviously don't know the title, so I just called it "If I were you" for the thread title.

Why is it that the door is still unopen?

Tell me why are your clothes still on the floor?

Tell me are you crazy or just stupid?

Do you even know what you're in for? 

Just to clarify

Baby if I were you

Baby if I were you

I wouldn't be able to

To learn to love me like you do

Maybe if I was safe

From making a big mistake

I would be able to

Maybe if I were you

Baby if I were you

I would be able to

To learn to love you like you do

And maybe if I was safe

I would be able to

To learn to love you like you do

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

8 minutes ago, mellody said:

Here we can discuss the song Mika presented on his Insta live today, that he has written together with Amy Wadge just yesterday. :wub2: We obviously don't know the title, so I just called it "If I were you" for the thread title.

Towards the end, after the song, he sings "What will be will be". Possible title? Or comment on how the song will turn out?

• Like 2

Just now, Hero said:

Towards the end, after the song, he sings "What will be will be". Possible title? Or comment on how the song will turn out?

I think that's just a quote from Doris Day's "Que sera", indeed referring to how the song will turn out, or maybe even to whether at all it will be released - if he writes 60 songs per album, we can't be sure that one will be part of it. Besides, he said the usual album is dead, so if he releases just an EP, it'd be even less songs. Anyway I hope we'll hear more of this song. :wub2:

• Like 3

To reply in this topic @mellody:

Actually the first feeling I got was that he was speaking to this person and asking “why are you still here?” As in: why haven’t you opened the door yet (to leave) and why are your clothes still on the floor? I personally like the flow of it, that the second and fourth line rhyme. It could work if the third and fourth line would rhyme, but it wouldn’t flow as well. 

But who knows, he will change it 10000 times anyway and we won’t even know if he will release it :biggrin2:

• Like 3

Anyone else noticed that the melody of the chorus is very similar to that of Rain? I didn't hear it at first, but today I suddenly found myself humming "When it rain rain rains" after the verse. :teehee:

• Like 5

Thank you for starting this thread Mellody :huglove:

For me it's not a break up song but a thank you song for someone who is grateful that even when there are days he can't stand/love himself,  his other half stands by him and stiĺl loves him unconditionally which he doesn't understand and doesn't think he deserves but that he appreciates a lot. 

(Of course that's only my interpretatìon) 

I can't wait to hear more of this song :fangurl:

Thank you so much to Mika for making my heart beating wild at the prospect of new songs and a new album :mikalove:

Let the happiness of 2019 begin again :wub2:  :excite:

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Mikasister said:

I've listened the song again and now I can't get it out of my head :pinkbow:

I've only had the chance to really listen to it twice and I could probably sing it backwards! I don't know what it is with Mika lyrics but his songs are like a second language to me! 😅

Now if only I could learn Italian as quickly..... 

2 hours ago, mellody said:

Anyone else noticed that the melody of the chorus is very similar to that of Rain? I didn't hear it at first, but today I suddenly found myself humming "When it rain rain rains" after the verse. :teehee:

I get what you mean it does sound very similar!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

To reply in this topic @mellody:

Actually the first feeling I got was that he was speaking to this person and asking “why are you still here?” As in: why haven’t you opened the door yet (to leave) and why are your clothes still on the floor? I personally like the flow of it, that the second and fourth line rhyme. It could work if the third and fourth line would rhyme, but it wouldn’t flow as well. 

But who knows, he will change it 10000 times anyway and we won’t even know if he will release it :biggrin2:

3 hours ago, crazyaboutmika said:

For me it's not a break up song but a thank you song for someone who is grateful that even when there are days he can't stand/love himself,  his other half stands by him and stiĺl loves him unconditionally which he doesn't understand and doesn't think he deserves but that he appreciates a lot. 

Thank you so much to Mika for making my heart beating wild at the prospect of new songs and a new album :mikalove:

Interesting about the different interpretations of the lyrics. I neither see it as a breakup nor as a thank you song, but something in between. I get a similar emotion from it like from the first lines of "Ready to call this love", maybe combined with a little bit of "Rio". "I'm afraid of the world, losing love in the dark, every time that I move too fast I fall apart" / "I feel like I'm the villain in some crappy play". The way I interpret the unopened door is "I still haven't opened the door to my heart for you, although your clothes are still on my floor" (from last night? From the last time you were here?) "You're crazy to love me, I don't know how you do it, maybe if I wasn't so scared of messing it up I could learn to love myself and love you the way you love me."

Edit: Although, thinking about it a bit more, I can see how all of our 3 interpretations can be true. "Why didn't you leave yet, you must be crazy, I wish I could love you the same way, but thank you for sticking with me." :dunno_grin:

Edited by mellody
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, mellody said:

Maybe if I was safe

I would be able to

Instead of "I would be able to", in that verse I understand more something like "I wouldn't leave it to you". I'm pretty sure he sings "leave it to", then he points at Amy, so that might stand for the you he forgot to sing... but he doesn't remember that line, so it's hard to tell what the original lyrics might be.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I get what you mean it does sound very similar!

Listening to it again I think it sounds more similar to the acoustic version of Rain rather than the studio/album version.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Listening to it again I think it sounds more similar to the acoustic version of Rain rather than the studio/album version.

The melody is the same in both versions of Rain... just in the studio version of Rain he sings in falsetto, and it's faster and a different rhythm - of course that makes it sound different to this new song, but that first part of the chorus is the same melody, or at least very similar.

On 11/30/2021 at 12:38 AM, mellody said:

Tell me why are your clothes still on the floor?

As I said on the other thread, the way I understand it, the "Tell me" doesn't belong to this but to the third line, and I think he sings something like "why I've still your clothes still on the floor" - which surely isn't the correct lyrics, because of the double "still", but just mentioning that this line is our interpretation what it *could* be rather than what he really sings. :teehee:

I like it if he's messing up lyrics I know, but it's much less fun if I try to find out the correct lyrics, lol! :lmfao:

Btw, what does Amy say to him after the first chorus, before she says "I wish you just released it!" (anyway that's what I understand)

• Like 3

19 hours ago, crazyaboutmika said:

Listening to it again, I agree with Anne on this one! It’s a love song about unconditional love and the narrator can’t believe it. 

• Like 9

I don't look for two days, and that's what happens :doh:

So what to say ? I really love that snippet very much... I love it so much, I really would love it to remain as pure and similar to that as possible.:wub2:  I really hope we will hear it again someday in a way or another. 

My heart is wild, I really needed that those days. :wub2:

Edited by Presci1108
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Presci1108 said:

I don't look for two days, and that's what happens :doh:

2 days in Mika world can be completely uneventful, or they can unexpectedly be filled with new songs, instagram lives, him chatting with fans, or album and tour announcements, you'll never know. :lmfao:

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, mellody said:

2 days in Mika world can be completely uneventful, or they can unexpectedly be filled with new songs, instagram lives, him chatting with fans, or album and tour announcements, you'll never know. :lmfao:

Ah, ah, that's so true ! :lol3: 

Plus, this time, I was isolating myself for a stupid reason, (being more and more anxious because of my own stupid thoughts and nothing else), so it's like life lectured me for being an idiot. :lol3:

I'm not against more lessons like this one. :naughty: Hearing something new, especially THAT, is definitely the best :cloud:

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Presci1108 said:

Ah, ah, that's so true ! :lol3: 

Plus, this time, I was isolating myself for a stupid reason, (being more and more anxious because of my own stupid thoughts and nothing else), so it's like life lectured me for being an idiot. :lol3:

I'm not against more lessons like this one. :naughty: Hearing something new, especially THAT, is definitely the best :cloud:

Winter is deffo a time for hibernating, take care :hug: but Mika is there to warm up our hearts bless him :wub2: :mikalove: :cloud: :group_hug::huglove:

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 3

On 11/30/2021 at 11:27 PM, mellody said:

The melody is the same in both versions of Rain... just in the studio version of Rain he sings in falsetto, and it's faster and a different rhythm - of course that makes it sound different to this new song, but that first part of the chorus is the same melody, or at least very similar.

As I said on the other thread, the way I understand it, the "Tell me" doesn't belong to this but to the third line, and I think he sings something like "why I've still your clothes still on the floor" - which surely isn't the correct lyrics, because of the double "still", but just mentioning that this line is our interpretation what it *could* be rather than what he really sings. :teehee:

I like it if he's messing up lyrics I know, but it's much less fun if I try to find out the correct lyrics, lol! :lmfao:

Btw, what does Amy say to him after the first chorus, before she says "I wish you just released it!" (anyway that's what I understand)

Geez each single time I keep reading Andy instead of Amy :lmfao:

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Haha 5

What I find a bit contradictory about this song is that with the unopened door and the clothes on the floor it sounds like it's a relationship (maybe an on-off one) that has been going on for a while, but still there is that line "do you even know what you're in for?" ... so if I assumed it's about Andy, I suppose after 16 years he knows pretty well what he's in for. :naughty: So I wonder if it's more about a general sentiment than about a specific relationship, and maybe Mika just put the thing with the clothes to clarify it's not about someone he has just met. But maybe generally how he feels about the people who love him - so yes, like Michelle says...

On 12/1/2021 at 2:14 PM, holdingyourdrink said:

It’s a love song about unconditional love and the narrator can’t believe it. 

, just not about a specific person, but about unconditional love itself? Does that make sense?

And yes, I just assume it's about Mika's own feelings - firstly, because usually his songs are, secondly because he has said things like this before, thirdly because he decided to share it with us. :dunno_grin: It fits to what he said in that one interview, that his lyrics for the new album are very direct. What a beautiful teaser song for what we can expect, I can't wait to hear more of that. :wub2:

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, mellody said:

just not about a specific person, but about unconditional love itself? Does that make sense?

I actually think the setting is about the beginning between him and Andy. Andy believed in them from the moment they met (at least that is what Mika said in interviews about them), but Mika himself didn’t - he just got thrown out naked the night before by his ex. 

Maybe that’s the reason he told this story during XF two or three weeks ago? It‘s maybe been on his mind and he put it on paper. But not the being thrown out part (maybe that’s another song, maybe a bit more angry wrapped up melodically even 😆), but the period after where he met his life partner. 

Edited by holdingyourdrink
  • Like 4

Btw, isn’t like 80% of his discography written about Andy? :lol3: 

I imagine conversations after Valentine‘s Day go like this (where people compare gifts from their Valentines)

Random person; „So my Valentine got me chocolate and flowers, OMG SOOOO romantic!!! 😍

Andy: „Yeah so, my Valentine is a Popstar and 80% of his discography is about me, going on for 15-16 years already, I‘ve lost count to be honest.“

• Haha 7