If I were you (?) new song on Instagram live, 29 Nov 2021

mellody

4 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I actually think the setting is about the beginning between him and Andy. Andy believed in them from the moment they met (at least that is what Mika said in interviews about them), but Mika himself didn’t - he just got thrown out naked the night before by his ex. 

Maybe that’s the reason he told this story during XF two or three weeks ago? It‘s maybe been on his mind and he put it on paper. But not the being thrown out part (maybe that’s another song, maybe a bit more angry wrapped up melodically even 😆), but the period after where he met his life partner. 

That's possible. Tho maybe not about the beginning, as I said, the first 2 lines suggest that it's not about something that has just started. But maybe about a time a few years in - like around the time of their breakup in 2010/2011? Or maybe it was about what Andy had to go through with Mika in Athens last year when they were stuck in that flat - as he said in that Canadian interview, that wasn't easy... I just still have trouble getting the first 2 lines together with the "do you even know what you're in for", if it's about a specific relationship / a specific moment. Well, I do suppose that Mika's feeling of self-worth keeps going up and down, it's probably not always "Tiny Love". I even see it for myself, sometimes I'm pretty ok with myself, other times not so much. So yeah, it could be anything really, lol!

14 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Btw, isn’t like 80% of his discography written about Andy? :lol3: 

I imagine conversations after Valentine‘s Day go like this (where people compare gifts from their Valentines)

Random person; „So my Valentine got me chocolate and flowers, OMG SOOOO romantic!!! 😍

Andy: „Yeah so, my Valentine is a Popstar and 80% of his discography is about me, going on for 15-16 years already, I‘ve lost count to be honest.“

I sometimes wonder if Mika tells Andy which songs are about him, or if Andy has to guess like we do. :teehee: Same for his family - well, he did tell Paloma, but that was obvious. Anyway, he said in one interview that none of the songs on MNIMH are about Andy. The ones on his first album weren't either, so that only leaves 3 albums, of which I also think it's maximum half of the songs, so I would disagree with you on the 80%. It's funny tho to imagine how Andy is between :cloud: and :facepalm: depending on the kind of song Mika writes about him (OOL vs LYWID :naughty:) :roftl:

At one point in the video, towards the end, Mika looks to the other side of the room with a rather significant look, I had wondered if he might have been looking at Andy. :dunno_grin:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mellody said:

Anyway, he said in one interview that none of the songs on MNIMH are about Andy. The ones on his first album weren't either, so that only leaves 3 album

Really? Ah shucks, would’ve loved the 80% theory to be true :lol3: I just keep hearing him say „after spending years writing angry love songs about him, I finally know how to love being sober.“ :facepalm:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Really? I could totally see this be a thought after a one night stand :facepalm: he did go with him that night :lol3:

I get this from it as well, he and Andy got together physically, then he couldn't believe Andy was sticking around and was surprised when it turned into something more. 

God I love their story. :wub2:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Really? I could totally see this be a thought after a one night stand :facepalm: he did go with him that night :lol3:

Hm, maybe you're right. I guess it's just my definition of love that causes me problems with this interpretation, because imo when you've just met someone it's not love yet, but a crush. Anyway they were in their early 20s at that point, and maybe Andy just believed in love at first sight... I suppose he must have, if he said he wants to stay with him forever right after that first night. :dunno_grin: :wub2: 

A good songwriter doesn't have to be writing about a specific incident with a specific person.  Yes they may use something from their personal experience to help their choice of lyrics, but it may equally well be based on a story a friend told them, or something they saw on TV or in a film.  (For example, Phil Oakey from the Human League says that "Don't You Want Me" was inspired by the film "A Star Is Born").

So not all his songs are about personal relationships or should be interpreted as such.

• Like 7

On 11/30/2021 at 10:27 PM, mellody said:

Btw, what does Amy say to him after the first chorus, before she says "I wish you just released it!" (anyway that's what I understand)

She says jokingly:

I think it's ready now! I think we should just release it. It sounded really good when we recorded it... I can't believe I've still got a moustache! :lol3:

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, silver said:

So not all his songs are about personal relationships or should be interpreted as such.

Well, as much as it could just be a 10 seconds scene in a bedroom he saw the night he wrote BBB, or about something more personal… nothing has meaning until we give it meaning, which is in the end the purpose of the writer. 

And also, I don’t think anything needs to make sense, but I guess I like theorizing just like (almost) anyone else here :wink2:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mellody said:

Hm, maybe you're right. I guess it's just my definition of love that causes me problems with this interpretation, because imo when you've just met someone it's not love yet, but a crush. Anyway they were in their early 20s at that point, and maybe Andy just believed in love at first sight... I suppose he must have, if he said he wants to stay with him forever right after that first night. :dunno_grin: :wub2: 

It might have been a physical thing at first for Mika, but I think Andy fell for him from the start.

Wasn't it that they met in a bar, Mika got Andy a taxi to the station to get his train, Andy said he wanted to stay with Mika, Mika asked "you mean for tonight" and Andy replied "I mean forever". And Mika thought he was an idiot, but went back with him anyway? :teehee:

I can totally see this as Mika asking the next morning, why are you still here? Why haven't you gone yet? Are you mad? How can you love me this much so quickly? 

The only thing that doesn't fit for me is the line "if I was safe from making a big mistake" but I guess that could refer to Mika being wary of getting into another relationship so soon after his last one ended so badly. "Maybe if I was sure this was a good thing I could relax and learn how to love you as well". 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, silver said:

A good songwriter doesn't have to be writing about a specific incident with a specific person.  Yes they may use something from their personal experience to help their choice of lyrics, but it may equally well be based on a story a friend told them, or something they saw on TV or in a film.  (For example, Phil Oakey from the Human League says that "Don't You Want Me" was inspired by the film "A Star Is Born").

A good songwriter knows how to create emotions with their songs, for a specific audience. And especially if the songwriter is identical with the artist - especially an artist who has said in interviews that basically all of his songs are very personal, about himself and his own experiences - although you're right that a song might be inspired by other stories, I think it's not wrong to assume that the artist feels what he is singing, that it's part of his own story as well, in particular if he sings in the first person. Tho you may be right that it's rather about a general feeling than about a specific situation, as I suggested earlier. But take "Dear Jealousy", for example, that's also a song Mika wrote with Amy, and he said clearly that it's about how he feels. Surely some of the lyrics might have been inspired by Amy's experiences, or just by random stories they found on the internet - but if Mika wants to sing this song on his album and at his gigs, he will have to feel it. The intro for Grace Kelly was inspired by a film with Grace Kelly, and still the song is 100% about how Mika feels.

Maybe we'll know, once the album is released and he's doing interviews about it. :teehee:

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Hero said:

Wait, really? Hmm. So whose ice cream was he wanting on his tongue? Naughty boy Mika! :lol3:

:lmfao: Well... we've discussed this back then in the thread about that interview (don't remember which one it was, one of the many he did in late 2019 or early 2020, I think it was some gay mag...), that Mika might just have bent the truth a little. :teehee: Ice Cream isn't about Andy but about s*x. Tomorrow isn't about Andy but about not giving a sh*t about tomorrow. :naughty: So there's back to what silver said, some songs really might be more about a general feeling than about a specific situation and person in Mika's life. Also Good Wife... Mika has said in an interview something like that Andy has a good sense of humour, that he must have if his partner is writing songs like Good Wife. :naughty: Which imo also shows that Mika feels these things, or at least wants his audience to believe that he does. Otherwise he could've just said, Good Wife is a fictional story to illustrate the feelings a gay person might have for a straight friend. But it creates a lot more emotion, also curiosity, if people think it's about Mika's personal experience.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, mellody said:

That's possible. Tho maybe not about the beginning, as I said, the first 2 lines suggest that it's not about something that has just started. But maybe about a time a few years in - like around the time of their breakup in 2010/2011? Or maybe it was about what Andy had to go through with Mika in Athens last year when they were stuck in that flat - as he said in that Canadian interview, that wasn't easy... I just still have trouble getting the first 2 lines together with the "do you even know what you're in for", if it's about a specific relationship / a specific moment. Well, I do suppose that Mika's feeling of self-worth keeps going up and down, it's probably not always "Tiny Love". I even see it for myself, sometimes I'm pretty ok with myself, other times not so much. So yeah, it could be anything really, lol!

At first I also interpreted it being around 2010/2011 and his and Andys break up or thats how I interpreted the line “if I was safe from making a big mistake” 

I haven't had a chance to give my own interpretation of this song until now, and I don't think I'll fully understand it until the whole song is released and I can listen to it all way through. Anyway, I see this song as a very deep and meaningful love song not solely about the love towards a partner or lover but also the love that Mika feels for himself. 
   From the first verse I get the impression that self love is something that is difficult to achieve (either personally for Mika or just in a general sense), its like Mika doesn't fully understand his self worth. So that's why he's questioning what it would be like to be the other person just to have a glimmer of understanding of where (and why) that love comes from. All of those questions in the first lines might as well be asking "why are you still here?" and "why do you love me, when I don't love myself?". That's the way I see it and it's something I can understand and relate to.
   Then going into the second verse it's like Mika is saying to the other person "oh, you're confident and love yourself, maybe I could learn to be that way too." I feel like it's a love song about the reasons why relationships last, about how two people are always learning more about one another. I also agree with what other people have said about how maybe the song reflects on how a person can't believe how lucky they are to have someone to love them so unconditionally. I get that vibe too, along with this and my own interpretation it makes the song feel very comforting. Of course I look up to Mika, but to think that he has insecurities around self love and relationships makes me respect him all the more.
  I can't think yet what he means by "making a big mistake." Hopefully it will all become clear once the song is released.

15 hours ago, Hero said:

Wasn't it that they met in a bar, Mika got Andy a taxi to the station to get his train, Andy said he wanted to stay with Mika, Mika asked "you mean for tonight" and Andy replied "I mean forever". And Mika thought he was an idiot, but went back with him anyway? :teehee:

Their love story is the prince meets prince animated gay Disney movie we all need to see! :biggrin2: 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Their love story is the prince meets prince animated gay Disney movie we all need to see! :biggrin2: 

:yeah:  Except of course, it's not a Disney movie. It's real life. Which makes it all the more amazing. :wub2:  

• Like 5

8 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Of course I look up to Mika, but to think that he has insecurities around self love and relationships makes me respect him all the more.

Yeah, I also was thinking something like, Mika, your fans love you more than you can understand, and with this song we love you even more. :roftl:

Thanks for sharing your views CJ, love your interpretation. :wub2:

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, mellody said:

Yeah, I also was thinking something like, Mika, your fans love you more than you can understand, and with this song we love you even more. :roftl:

Having said that, I'm glad that he doesn't admire himself as much as we admire him, as that'd make him quite an arrogant a**hole. :naughty: :lmfao:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 12/4/2021 at 11:12 PM, mellody said:

A good songwriter knows how to create emotions with their songs, for a specific audience. And especially if the songwriter is identical with the artist - especially an artist who has said in interviews that basically all of his songs are very personal, about himself and his own experiences - although you're right that a song might be inspired by other stories, I think it's not wrong to assume that the artist feels what he is singing, that it's part of his own story as well, in particular if he sings in the first person. Tho you may be right that it's rather about a general feeling than about a specific situation, as I suggested earlier. But take "Dear Jealousy", for example, that's also a song Mika wrote with Amy, and he said clearly that it's about how he feels. Surely some of the lyrics might have been inspired by Amy's experiences, or just by random stories they found on the internet - but if Mika wants to sing this song on his album and at his gigs, he will have to feel it. The intro for Grace Kelly was inspired by a film with Grace Kelly, and still the song is 100% about how Mika feels.

Maybe we'll know, once the album is released and he's doing interviews about it. :teehee:

I think it's more an alchemy about a song and our own feelings. The singer/songwriter/composer creates something based on their own story or someone else but puts a certain emotion and vibe and lyrics to it that is going to echo in us because of our story so each person including the song maker(s) probably has a different story in their head/heart/mind. Knowing the story can make you enjoy the song more though when you don't click with the song at first (or not) 

I didn't care much about Staring at the sun but knowing the moving story behind it made me like it more as it is a deep song. Staring at the sun is my favorite video though :wub2:

As far as Good Wife the story made me melt at first hearing because I totally relate to those feelings of loving someone but knowing staying close friends is your only option because of their sexual orientation made me feel that I wasn't alone and it was totally amazing because there are a few songs dealing with this but Mika's words translated totally how I have always felt and the music was also like a warm hug telling me: "it's ok" 

I don't know how true the song's story is, Mika can tell his or someone else's but that song is very meaningful and touches and soothes my heart. It's how the songs make us feel that matter :original:

And how true and genuine they are as far as feelings go. 

As a poem writer I change reality too but I do put my emotions in them and emotions is what we react to when we listen to songs...the story usually has true feelings but can be about the narrator or their mood about someone else's story or even a photo or about a scene in the street that  inspired them. The funny thing is sometimes Mika tells about the way his songs start, sometimes he doesn't, sometimes he does than it changes :lmfao:but the feelings he has the wonderful gift to share don't since we are the ones who feel them in different manners depending on our own stories.  But one thing is sure Mika is a wonderful melodist and story teller :swoon::mikalove::fangurl:

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I've had the words of this song stuck in my head for a while and it got me thinking about what Mika's next album might be called. I know he said the format of an album is dead but these are just my thoughts anyway:

> Springtime in June 

> The Beauty of Spring 

> Where The Flowers Grow (or maybe  'Where The WILD Flowers Grow)

Or he might just stick with 'Rite of Spring' 🤔

Edited by TinyLove_CJ
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I've had the words of this song stuck in my head for a while and it got me thinking about what Mika's next album might be called. I know he said the format of an album is dead but these are just my thoughts anyway:

> Springtime in June 

> The Beauty of Spring 

> Where The Flowers Grow (or maybe      'Where The WILD Flowers Grow)

Or he might just stick with 'Rite of Spring' 🤔

I vote for "Where The Flowers Grow" sounds intriguing, it could be a movie :yes:

• Like 1

Hats off to you guys for saving his lives & stories so that we can cherish them forever :clap:

I almost forgot about this song (snippet) but I remember I liked it when I heard it on his live... Very soft and gentle ^_^ Do we know anything more about its potential release? Maybe a new project in the works? Or is he just teasing us for now and letting us guess? 😂

3 hours ago, Nadiaa said:

Or is he just teasing us for now and letting us guess? 😂

Definitely teasing us! His snippets bring us instant joy in the moment and then afterwards we really are just doing guesswork! 😅

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Definitely teasing us! His snippets bring us instant joy in the moment and then afterwards we really are just doing guesswork! 😅

Ha! Well, he knows his fans are passionate and will gladly do guesswork 😂 But his snippets do bring us instant joy for sure! 

• Like 1