2022 - Mika @Arena di Verona, Italy, 19 September REPORTS / PICS / VIDS

Kumazzz

1 hour ago, mellody said:

I didn't ask him to take a pic together, because he looked like he wanted to leave, after taking pix with some other (Mika) fans, but I love the photos I took of him & Michelle, especially the one with the arena in the background.

Btw, haven't posted my Mika photos here yet, but most of them aren't good anyway, the stage was too far away. I'll pick the best ones & post them later.

Thank you so much for that photo, it’s my favourite! And he was actually very open and friendly, despite wanting to leave. I am very sure you could’ve taken a picture with him as well. 

Little more :ot:: I have sent the drawing to Manuelito’s management, it should be there any day now ☺️

• Like 6

1 hour ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Thank you so much for that photo, it’s my favourite! And he was actually very open and friendly, despite wanting to leave. I am very sure you could’ve taken a picture with him as well. 

Little more :ot:: I have sent the drawing to Manuelito’s management, it should be there any day now ☺️

I'm sure he'd have said yes, he's very nice to fans even if they are Mika's fans. 😄 But it wasn't important enough for me to hold him back for another 30 seconds, after he already was so patient with everyone, despite wanting to leave. And I guess I also wasn't really keen on seeing my own 3am face next to his on a photo, he still looks like on TV at 3am, and the ca. 20 years (I suppose he's in his mid/late 20s?) age difference would just be too obvious. 😅

(And I'm just starting to wonder if that's the real reason why I'm perfectly ok with not getting another pic with Mika, lol! :roftl: 🙈)

Idk, probably I've just grown out of the times when I kinda collected autographs of & photos with famous people, I'm also not starstruck anymore. Guess that's helpful in my job when working in the backstage or VIP area, to not start talking gibberish when the artists or VIP guests ask for the way to the catering. :teehee:

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mellody said:

(I suppose he's in his mid/late 20s?)

I just looked it up, he’s 32! 

7 minutes ago, mellody said:

I'm also not starstruck anymore. Guess that's helpful in my job when working in the backstage or VIP area, to not start talking gibberish when the artists or VIP guests ask for the way to the catering. :teehee:

I can only do one-liners to Mika, after that my brain is on holiday and the only thing I can do is grin like a goon :facepalm: 

(This is much better than before, because I couldn’t say anything at all at first! I am making progress!)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I just looked it up, he’s 32! 

:shocked: Maybe Mika has recommended his vitamins to Manuelito. :teehee:

2 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I can only do one-liners to Mika, after that my brain is on holiday and the only thing I can do is grin like a goon :facepalm: 

(This is much better than before, because I couldn’t say anything at all at first! I am making progress!)

I'm proud of you! :biggrin2:

Well ok, if Mika looks at me a certain way, I'm the same. :lol3: But that has nothing to do with his celebrity status, and at M&G's that hasn't happened for years... even at gigs it has become rare. I guess he avoids it because he prefers people to be like :dance_man: at his gigs, instead of :swoon:. (And yes, I might occasionally have stopped moving, or even breathing, after one of those looks - lucky for my vital functions that they never last longer than a few seconds :lmao:) :naughty:

Edited by mellody
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

SOUND & LITE

ottobre ‘22

numero 152

https://www.soundlite.it/articolo/sound-lite-numero-152

186489957_2022-10-31_SoundLite_numero_15

32 minutes ago, Kumazzz said:

I think an important interview about the Magic Piano cancelation in this magazine.:glasses:

Luca-Toscano 

- Artech FX Manager

A show with flames, sparks and pyrotechnic effects was planned for this show, but the superintendent of the Arena did not give us permission. However, we have landed a series of physical special effects machines, which enrich Mika's already good show.

The real reason was not given to us. They have already issued an ordinance forbidding the use of these special effects, made from flames and sparks, with a single exception for the Kiss concert.

SOUND & LITE

ottobre ‘22

numero 152

https://www.soundlite.it/articolo/sound-lite-numero-152

https://www.soundlite.it/articolo/mika-the-magic-piano

Mika - The Magic Piano

La stagione 2022 è andata molto bene, sono tutti d’accordo. Dal presidente di Live Nation, Joe Berchtold, al nostro Orazio Caratozzolo di Friends & Partners. Già si pensa alle sfide dell’anno prossimo, con un 2023 dove bisognerà litigarsi le venue e prenotare i palazzetti con largo anticipo, con un incremento degli eventi sul 20-30%.

La situazione migliora nel complesso, ma ancora si porta dietro qualche difficoltà organizzativa: in questa dinamica si inserisce il tour rimandato – e non annullato – di Mika, cantautore e showman da sempre molto amato nella Penisola.

Lo avevamo già visto all’opera a inizio 2020, e alla notizia di un nuovo tour ci siamo riempiti di aspettative. Le interviste televisive dell’artista hanno promesso un grande show, con una produzione importante.

Qualche giorno prima dello spettacolo, la doccia fredda: “Friends & Partners comunica che per motivi di carattere organizzativo e di produzione, che avrebbero impedito un’adeguata e ottimale messa in scena degli spettacoli, il The Magic Piano Tour di Mika, con show previsti tra settembre e ottobre 2022 nelle principali arene e nei teatri italiani – dove ha già registrato diversi sold out, è rinviato a data da destinarsi.”

Per volontà dell’artista, la data di Verona si è tenuta comunque, e un concerto di Mika vale sicuramente un viaggio. E infatti la serata ci ha regalato uno spettacolo godibile, nonostante gli aggiustamenti dell’ultimo minuto.

Il personaggio da solo riempie il palco, se non addirittura l’Arena: Mika non disdegna il contatto con il pubblico, e passa una gran parte del concerto in giro per la venue, in mezzo ai suoi fan. Un plauso anche al pubblico, che lo accerchia e lo tocca, ma senza mai infastidirlo o intralciarlo. Le escursioni in mezzo alla gente vengono fatte senza uomini della sicurezza, ed è difficile immaginare qualcuno che stia dietro a Mika, che un attimo è in platea, poi di corsa su una gradinata, poi di nuovo on stage.

Il palco è caratterizzato da una nicchia, dove trova posto la band, incorniciata da barre LED che illuminano sia i musicisti sia il fondale bianco. Per il resto le luci hanno un allestimento classico, con tre americane sospese e due “cerini”: come ci ha detto Saralli, di Agorà, si tratta di una serie di teste mobili montate su due americane verticali, ai lati del palco.

Per quanto riguarda l’audio, niente da eccepire: risultato sopra la media. L’impianto L-Acoustics che è stato utilizzato è una garanzia, e verrà utilizzato anche per altri eventi a seguire. Massimo Barbieri, al mixer, controlla tutto con abilità. Nelle interviste, mi sono fatto accompagnare da uno special guest, l’amico Alberto “Mente” Butturini, in qualità di "giornalista". A lui il compito di intervistare sia il fonico Massimo Barbieri, sia il PA Man Luca Nobilini.

https://www.soundlite.it/articolo/massimo-barbieri-fonico-foh-per-mika

Massimo Barbieri - Fonico FOH

Penso che sia la prima volta che un fonico intervista un altro fonico. Vediamo come va.

Anche per me è la prima volta. Aggiungo che è un vero onore essere intervistato da te.

Bando ai convenevoli. Qual è il mondo musicale di Mika?

Stiamo parlando di un quartetto di musicisti molto bravi, diretti da un direttore musicale capace, Tim Van Der Kuil – che normalmente è il chitarrista della band, ma che ci segue sempre da remoto dato il suo impegno con Adele. Il pianista è una new entry, arrivato per l’occasione: quello ufficiale è un musicista americano e non aveva molto senso farlo venire per una data secca. 

Durante il soundcheck, non sono riuscito a identificare un genere preciso. La scaletta è molto variegata?

Mika è un artista poliedrico, che salta da un genere all’altro: dai Beatles ai musical, dalle ballads alla dance, con un’infinità di influenze. Questa varietà rende molto stimolante lavorarci. Il mio approccio al mix è sempre stato musicale prima che tecnico, e cercare di entrare nel tipo di programma musicale che sto mixando è sempre fondamentale. Confrontarmi con vari generi nello stesso concerto è come un esercizio riassuntivo delle esperienze accumulate in una vita.

Tu fai un lavoro sonoro in base ai diversi generi, o c’è un’impostazione di base?

Tutto parte sempre dal palco, e io cerco di sintetizzare quello che arriva. Il grosso del lavoro è stato fatto all’inizio da Tim e io, che sono subentrato un anno fa al fonico precedente che ha cambiato lavoro durante la pandemia, non ho fatto neanche delle prove musicali vere. Tutti i suoni tranne la batteria erano già definiti: alzavi un canale e trovavi già il suono che serviva. Questo deriva dal fatto che c’è un set up di backline definito da anni, con tutti i timbri, le sequenze e addirittura i suoni del Kemper per le chitarre, salvati e richiamati. Quindi chiunque arrivi a suonare si trova già i suoni fatti, e il mio lavoro è cercare di sintetizzare ciò che arriva dal palco. 

Ho visto un bel mixer SSL, affiancato da un Bricasti. Poi?

Esatto, uso un SSL. Ho collegato solo un Bricasti e due Lexicon, per il resto uso tutti i processori interni al mixer.

Più o meno è anche il mio set up: quello che mi piace di meno dell’SSL sono i riverberi, mentre tutto il resto è perfetto. È il tuo mixer di prima scelta?

Dalla prima volta che ho avuto l’opportunità di usarlo, come prima scelta chiedo sempre l’SSL. Ci sono situazioni però in cui le economie non permettono il noleggio di un banco e allora si fa con quel che c’è. Nel tour in America e in Canada, per esempio, nelle date più piccole e al Coachella ho usato Digico e Digidesign.

Qualche novità sulle capsule per la voce?

Abbiamo fatto tutto il tour estivo con una Shure KSM8, che amo molto per la presenza che riesce a dare quando il cantante muove molto il microfono. Però con Mika, che scende spesso in platea in mezzo alla gente, ho avuto talvolta dei piccoli accenni di rientro dell’impianto, cominciava a sfarfallare un po’. Per questo concerto, dove l’artista sarebbe stato sempre davanti all’impianto, ho chiesto di provare la nuova KSM11, sempre della Shure. Dopo la prova di ieri l’ho voluta usare subito e devo dire che è stata perfetta.

Sulla batteria?

Siamo abbastanza standard su tutto, con un Audix D6 sulla cassa, Audix anche sui tom e Neumann sui piatti. L’unica vera particolarità è sulla consegna dei segnali al PA: ho chiesto all’amico Luca Nobilini di mandare un mix separato sui side e sui front fill, che io tratto in maniera leggermente diversa dal main. Dato che si tratta di un mix mono, mando un po’ di più tutte le cose che in mono tendono a cancellarsi (tastiere, riverberi), per essere in realtà più simile al mix del main.

Ho visto una nutrita tribù di coristi. Cosa usi per riprenderli? 

I cori sono una novità di questa data, e al momento abbiamo usato 14 archetti DPA 4088. Sul palco è stata una bella sfida per la gestione delle radiofrequenze per Marzia Brini e Massimo Faggioni: oltre ai 14 canali per gli headset, ne abbiamo dovuti usare altri 14 per gli in-ear monitor.

Parlando di lavoro, hai trovato qualcosa di cambiato nel nostro settore?

La ripartenza per me ha coinciso con questa bella esperienza all’estero, dove tecnicamente e a livello organizzativo non ho trovato differenze con l’Italia. Anzi, devo dire che i nostri tecnici e le nostre produzioni sono all’avanguardia e assolutamente all’altezza di quello che si trova in giro per il mondo. Devo dire il contrario sulla considerazione del nostro lavoro: il management si è preoccupato in ogni occasione che fossimo sereni tecnicamente e dal punto di vista logistico, qualsiasi problematica è sempre stata discussa per cercare una soluzione, mai come un fastidio. Poi c’è il sistema di pagamento che riconosce ogni giorno di impegno effettivo: per una data secca in Europa si parte il giorno prima per raggiungere la venue, poi c’è  il giorno dello spettacolo e il giorno dopo per il ritorno in sede: questi 3 giorni vengono pagati la stessa cifra ognuno! In America, quando siamo stati costretti a stare fermi per 9 giorni, in attesa di ripartire con un nuovo calendario, siamo stati pagati e spesati per tutti i giorni. Altro esempio: mi hanno chiesto di fare il mix di un video registrato a un festival, ho accettato di buon grado e dato che lo avrei fatto nei day off o durante i viaggi, giornate in cui ero già pagato perché in tour, non ho chiesto niente in più. Il manager  mi ha detto: “No, questo è un lavoro extra e te lo paghiamo a parte”. Sono gesti che fanno capire il peso di quello che fai. 

https://www.soundlite.it/articolo/luca-nobilini-pa-man-per-mika

Luca Nobilini - PA Man

Comincio con il chiederti la configurazione dell’impianto.

L’impianto è L-Acoustics, in una configurazione standard per l’Arena: lo abbiamo già montato tante volte ed è la configurazione ottimale, aldilà dei piccoli aggiustamenti. Abbiamo montato come main un PA con K1 e K2, con a fianco dei KS28 appesi, poi come side fill altri K2  aperti di 20°, a terra altri KS28 e come front fill dei Kara. Come vedi, tutto nella norma.

Visto che nella tua lunga carriera hai incrociato moltissimi fonici italiani e molti stranieri, che differenza trovi nel modo di lavorare?

Ogni professionista ha il suo modo di lavorare ed è difficile standardizzare. Ti posso dire che i nostri fonici prediligono sempre di più i bassi sospesi, format che consiglia anche la casa madre. Ultimamente L-Acoustics ha implementato una sorta di steering per la parte bassa non variabile: una volta deciso il progetto, lo importi e la parte bassa così rimane, al contrario della parte medio alta. Per quest’ultima, il main è sempre una configurazione mista tra K1 e K2 in base alla configurazione del parterre. I fonici italiani sono più variegati nelle richieste, c’è chi predilige il K1 sub in testa, per arrivare più lontano con con la parte medio bassa, o chi predilige il K1 sub dietro, per pulire il palco. Anche sui KS28 ci sono diverse tendenze, chi li predilige dietro e chi di fianco. Gli stranieri prediligono il KS28 a fianco della banana dei medio alti, giusto per contraddirmi, ed è così che lo abbiamo montato questa sera in Arena.

E se ti dicessi le paroline magiche “arco elettronico”?

Arco si o arco no, non c’è una soluzione migliore. Dipende sempre dalle varianti. Ti riassumo in un pensiero: all’aperto sì, mentre al chiuso ho qualche perplessità. Con i sub left e right ormai sappiamo praticamente tutto, i pro e i contro, e con quelli troviamo il miglior compromesso. Nell’optare per l’arco elettronico, ci sono da tenere in considerazione i palchi con le passerelle, che vanno a spezzare il concetto dell’arco elettronico e costringono ad adottare dei compromessi nell’uso di queste tecnologie.

Una curiosità da fonico: la mia tendenza è richiedere al PA Man un settaggio lineare dell’impianto, nella fase di soundcheck mi aggiusto il suono che voglio ottenere, e poi eventualmente chiedo una piccola correzione dell’impianto per arrivare all’obbiettivo finale. Gli altri come si comportano? 

Certamente le esigenze sono in continua evoluzione e cambiano da fonico a fonico. C’è chi vuole l’impianto flat, poi si aggiusta il suono, oppure chi chiede sulle frequenze basse un certo incremento. Io prediligo più la tua versione: ti consegno un impianto neutro, tu ci lavori, e alla fine cerchiamo di raggiungere insieme il risultato ottimale. Gli stranieri prevalentemente sono più smart, ti chiedono un settaggio un po’ più ciccione, con delle medio basse più importanti.

Forse perché loro non devono consegnare ogni sera la registrazione audio della serata… Cattiveria!

Può essere [sorride].

Ultima domanda. Ultimamente l’audio rimane una voce importante in una produzione, o sta diventando un accessorio pregiato?

Sta diventando un accessorio, purtroppo. Le produzioni danno sempre più importanza alle scenografie, ai video e alle luci, e l’impianto viene deciso per ultimo e si appende dove c’è posto. Poi magari, se il risultato non è ottimale, ti fanno anche la ramanzina. Per fortuna non sono tutti così.

https://www.soundlite.it/articolo/giovanni-vecchi

Giovanni Vecchi - Responsabile STS

STS ha fornito il materiale video per l’evento. Raccontaci questa produzione.

Noi siamo qui dal 5 settembre. Abbiamo fatto gli allestimenti prima della trasmissione di Amadeus, poi dello spettacolo di Fiorello, oggi Mika, poi a seguire Ramazzotti e Ligabue. 

Naturalmente a ogni spettacolo c’è un setup da allestire. Oggi abbiamo montato due schermi esterni da 4 m x 5 m e quattro telecamere, tre presidiate e una fissa per fare un controcampo. Le riprese vengono usate esclusivamente per riprendere lo spettacolo e dare la possibilità agli spettatori più lontani di godere di qualche primo piano, non usiamo nessun tipo di contributi registrati. 

In quanti siete per gestire il video?

In questo momento siamo in nove: tre come operatori alle telecamere, due in regia e uno come responsabile regia, più tre tecnici per il LEDwall.

https://www.soundlite.it/articolo/alessandro-saralli

Alessandro Saralli - Responsabile Agorà

Gli operatori luci sono tutti indaffarati. Alessandro, responsabile luci, puoi darci qualche dettaglio in più?

Per diverse vicissitudini, questa data all’Arena è rimasta l’unica prevista in Italia, almeno per il momento. Dal Lighting Designer dell’artista sono arrivate solo alcune delle richieste del disegno originale. Principalmente, ha richiesto nel dettaglio una situazione del floor molto dettagliata, e lo stesso per il frame, una sorta di nicchia a forma rettangolare a fondo palco dove trova posto la band. La nicchia è contornata da barre con una duplice funzione: evidenziare il contorno del frame, e illuminare e colorare gli elementi della band. Per il resto, ci ha dato delle indicazioni di massima e ci ha lasciato carta bianca.

Sembra un disegno classico, senza tanti special.

Ci siamo attenuti a un disegno classico. Non avevano tanto tempo a disposizione per la programmazione, avvenuta nella notte prima dello spettacolo. Abbiamo giocato prevalentemente sul frame della band e sugli effetti speciali, con fumi, coriandoli, e lo special del cuore sul finale.

Ho visto prevalentemente materiale Clay Paky. È stata una richiesta o una scelta?

È stata una necessità. In questo ultimo periodo stiamo facendo diversi spettacoli ravvicinati in arena, quindi abbiamo a disposizione un certo quantitativo di materiale in loco, che ci serve per coprire tutte le produzioni. Abbiamo usato il materiale maggiormente flessibile, e con Clay Paky riusciamo a coprire tutte le esigenze dello spettacolo.

Quanto persone hanno lavorato, e per quanto tempo?

Abbiamo messo in campo una squadra di nove persone. Siamo partiti alla mattina molto presto, quasi al buio: l’esigenza era di consegnare il palco per la sera, per la prova generale. Una saletta è stata attrezzata per gli operatori con Wysiwyg, in modo che avessero avuto il tempo per programmare offline, per poi controllare durante la prova generale.

https://www.soundlite.it/articolo/luca-toscano

Luca Toscano - Responsabile Artech FX

Una parte importante dello spettacolo lo hanno avuto gli effetti, fumo, bolle, coriandoli e confetti. Luca, che tipo di servizi avete messo a disposizione per questo show?

Noi siamo una realtà partenopea, con sedi distaccate a Milano e a San Francisco. Forniamo una serie di effetti speciali, tra cui fiamme, scintille, CO₂, confetti, stelle filanti, eccetera. Per questo show era stato progettato uno spettacolo con fiamme, scintille e effetti pirotecnici, ma la sovrintendenza dell’Arena non ci ha dato il permesso. Abbiamo comunque messo a terra una serie di macchine per effetti speciali fisici, che arricchiscono il già bello spettacolo di Mika.

Perché questo rifiuto della sovrintendenza, secondo te?

La motivazione vera non ci è stata data. Hanno emesso già da tempo un’ordinanza che vietava l’uso di questi effetti speciali, fatti da fiamme e scintille, con un’unica deroga per il concerto dei Kiss.

:uk: Google translator

Reveal hidden contents

Mika - The Magic Piano

The 2022 season went very well, everyone agrees. From the president of Live Nation, Joe Berchtold, to our Orazio Caratozzolo of Friends & Partners. We are already thinking about next year's challenges, with a 2023 where venues will have to be fought over and arenas booked well in advance, with an increase in events of 20-30%.

The situation improves overall, but still brings with it some organizational difficulties: the postponed - and not canceled - tour of Mika, a singer-songwriter and showman who has always been much loved on the peninsula, fits into this dynamic.

We had already seen him at work at the beginning of 2020, and with the news of a new tour we were filled with expectations. The artist's television interviews promised a great show, with an important production.

A few days before the show, the cold shower: "Friends & Partners announces that for organizational and production reasons, which would have prevented an adequate and optimal staging of the shows, Mika's The Magic Piano Tour, with scheduled shows between September and October 2022 in the main Italian arenas and theaters – where it has already recorded several sold outs, it is postponed to a date to be determined.”

By the will of the artist, the Verona date was held anyway, and a Mika concert is definitely worth a trip. And in fact the evening gave us an enjoyable show, despite the last minute adjustments.

The character alone fills the stage, if not even the Arena: Mika does not disdain contact with the public, and spends a large part of the concert around the venue, among his fans. A round of applause also to the public, who surround him and touch him, but without ever bothering or hindering him. The excursions among the people are made without security men, and it is difficult to imagine someone standing behind Mika, who is in the audience for a moment, then running up a flight of steps, then back on stage.

The stage is characterized by a niche, where the band sits, framed by LED bars that illuminate both the musicians and the white backdrop. For the rest, the lights have a classic set-up, with three suspended trusses and two "matches": as Saralli, from Agorà, told us, it is a series of moving heads mounted on two vertical trusses, on either side of the stage.

As for the audio, nothing to complain: above average result. The L-Acoustics system that was used is a guarantee, and will also be used for other events to follow. Massimo Barbieri, at the mixer, skilfully controls everything. In the interviews, I was accompanied by a special guest, my friend Alberto "Mente" Butturini, as a "journalist". To him the task of interviewing both the sound engineer Massimo Barbieri and the PA Man Luca Nobilini.

Massimo Barbieri - FOH Engineer
Alberto "Mente" Butturini's interview with FOH sound engineer Massimo Barbieri on the audio of Mika's concert at the Arena

I think it's the first time that a sound engineer interviews another sound engineer. Let's see how it goes.

It's the first time for me too. I add that it is a real honor to be interviewed by you.

Ban on pleasantries. What is Mika's musical world?

We are talking about a quartet of very good musicians, directed by a capable musical director, Tim Van Der Kuil – who is normally the guitarist of the band, but who always follows us remotely given his commitment to Adele. The pianist is a new entry, who has arrived for the occasion: the official one is an American musician and it didn't make much sense for him to come for a dry date.

During the soundcheck, I couldn't identify a specific genre. Is the lineup very varied?

Mika is a multifaceted artist, who jumps from one genre to another: from the Beatles to musicals, from ballads to dance, with an infinite number of influences. This variety makes it very challenging to work with. My approach to mixing has always been musical before technical, and trying to get into the type of music program I'm mixing is always key. Dealing with various genres in the same concert is like a summary exercise of the experiences accumulated in a lifetime.

Do you make sound work according to different genres, or is there a basic setting?

Everything always starts from the stage, and I try to synthesize what arrives. The bulk of the work was done initially by Tim and I, who took over a year ago from the previous sound engineer who changed jobs during the pandemic, I didn't even do any real music rehearsals. All the sounds except the drums were already defined: you raised a channel and you already found the sound you needed. This derives from the fact that there is a backline set up defined for years, with all the tones, sequences and even the Kemper sounds for the guitars, saved and recalled. So whoever comes to play finds the sounds already made, and my job is to try to synthesize what comes from the stage.

I saw a nice SSL mixer, flanked by a Bricasti. And then?

That's right, I use an SSL. I only connected a Bricasti and two Lexicons, for the rest I use all the internal processors of the mixer.

It's more or less my set up too: what I like least about SSL is the reverbs, while everything else is perfect. Is this your mixer of choice?

From the first time I had the opportunity to use it, I always ask for SSL as my first choice. However, there are situations in which the economies do not allow the rental of a counter and then you do with what is there. On tour in America and Canada for example, on smaller dates and at Coachella I used Digico and Digidesign.

Any news on voice capsules?

We did the whole summer tour with a Shure KSM8, which I really love for the presence it can give when the singer moves the microphone a lot. But with Mika, who often descends into the audience among people, I sometimes had small hints of the system returning, she began to flicker a bit. For this concert, where the artist would always be in front of the system, I asked to try the new KSM11, also from Shure. After yesterday's test I wanted to use it immediately and I must say that it was perfect.

On the battery?

We're pretty standard on everything, with an Audix D6 on the kick, Audix on the toms as well, and Neumann on the cymbals. The only real peculiarity is on the delivery of the signals to the PA: I asked my friend Luca Nobilini to send a separate mix on the side and front fills, which I treat slightly differently from the main. Since this is a mono mix, I send all the things that tend to cancel out in mono (keyboards, reverbs) a little more, to actually be more similar to the main mix.

I saw a large tribe of singers. What do you use to get them back?

The choirs are a novelty of this date, and at the moment we have used 14 DPA 4088 bows. On stage it was a great challenge for the management of radio frequencies for Marzia Brini and Massimo Faggioni: in addition to the 14 channels for the headsets, we had to use another 14 for in-ear monitors.

Speaking of work, have you found something changed in our sector?

For me, the restart coincided with this beautiful experience abroad, where technically and organizationally I found no differences with Italy. Indeed, I must say that our technicians and our productions are at the forefront and absolutely up to what is found around the world. I have to say the opposite regarding the consideration of our work: the management has always taken care that we are serene technically and from a logistical point of view, any problem has always been discussed to seek a solution, never as a nuisance. Then there's the payment system that recognizes every day of actual commitment: for a dry date in Europe, you leave the day before to reach the venue, then there's the day of the show and the day after to return to the venue: these 3 days are paid the same amount each! In America, when we were forced to stand still for 9 days, waiting to restart with a new calendar, we were paid and expensed for every day. Another example: they asked me to mix a video recorded at a festival, I gladly accepted and since I was going to do it on day-offs or during travel, days in which I was already paid because I was on tour, I didn't ask nothing more. The manager told me: “No, this is an extra job and we pay you separately”. They are gestures that make you understand the weight of what you do.

Luca Nobilini - PA Man

I'll start by asking you about the configuration of the system.

The system is L-Acoustics, in a standard configuration for the Arena: we have already assembled it many times and it is the optimal configuration, beyond the small adjustments. We set up a PA with K1 and K2 as main, with hanging KS28s alongside, then as side fill other K2s open at 20°, other KS28s on the floor and Kara as front fill. As you can see, everything is normal.

Considering that in your long career you have met many Italian and many foreign sound engineers, what difference do you find in the way you work?

Every professional has his own way of working and it is difficult to standardize. I can tell you that our sound engineers increasingly prefer suspended basses, a format that the parent company also recommends. Lately L-Acoustics has implemented a sort of steering for the non-variable low part: once the project has been decided, you import it and the low part remains the same, as opposed to the medium high part. For the latter, the main is always a mixed configuration between K1 and K2 based on the configuration of the parterre. Italian sound engineers are more varied in requests, there are those who prefer the K1 sub in the lead, to get further with the medium-low part, or those who prefer the K1 sub behind, to clean the stage. Also on the KS28 there are different trends, those who prefer them behind and those on the side. Foreigners prefer the KS28 alongside the mid-high banana, just to contradict me, and that's how we assembled it this evening in the Arena.

What if I told you the magic words “electronic arc”?

Bow yes or bow no, there is no better solution. It always depends on the variants. I'll summarize you in a thought: outdoors yes, while indoors I have some doubts. With the sub left and right by now we know practically everything, the pros and cons, and with them we find the best compromise. In opting for the electronic arch, the stages with the catwalks must be taken into consideration, which break up the concept of the electronic arch and force us to adopt compromises in the use of these technologies.

A curiosity as a sound engineer: my tendency is to ask the PA Man for a linear setting of the system, in the soundcheck phase I adjust the sound I want to obtain, and then eventually ask for a small correction of the system to reach the final goal. How do the others behave?

Needs are certainly constantly evolving and change from sound engineer to sound engineer. There are those who want a flat system, then adjust the sound, or those who ask for a certain increase on the low frequencies. I prefer your version more: I give you a neutral system, you work on it, and in the end we try to achieve the best result together. Foreigners are mainly smarter, they ask you for a slightly fatter setting, with more important mid-bass.

Maybe because they don't have to deliver the audio recording of the evening every night… Wickedness!

It could be [smiles].

Last question. Does audio remain an important item in a production lately, or is it becoming a prized accessory?

It is becoming an accessory, unfortunately. Productions give more and more importance to sets, videos and lights, and the system is decided last and is hung wherever there is room. Then maybe, if the result isn't optimal, they'll also lecture you. Luckily they are not all like that.

https://www.soundlite.it/articolo/orazio-caratozzolo

Orazio Caratozzolo - Produttore esecutivo

Raccontami questa produzione. Sembra che abbia avuto delle variazioni, visto che era stato previsto un tour nazionale.

Era stato previsto un tour di diverse date in giro per l’Italia, ma per cause di forza maggiore è stato rimandato, e non annullato. Abbiamo mantenuto questa data all’Arena per volontà dell’artista, che già nel 2020 aveva dovuto annullare la data prevista in questa venue. Mika ha voluto fortemente questo spettacolo, anche perché non è facile trovare delle date libere in Arena.

A causa di tutte queste concomitanze, la produzione è stata gestita in maniera diversa e anche la scenografia ha subito delle variazioni, rispetto a come era stata concepita per il tour. In particolare, meno effetti speciali, che comportavano tempistiche diverse. Insieme alla produzione francese di Mika, abbiamo portato una piccola parte di scena già pronta, ovvero il piano, il cuore e lo spazio della band. Per il resto, visto che abbiamo fatto una serie di spettacoli televisivi e concerti, abbiamo utilizzato il materiale che avevamo a disposizione: palco Italstage, audio e luci Agorà e video STS.

Cosa succederà al mercato dei concerti nel 2023?

Purtroppo o per fortuna sarà un’annata molto difficoltosa, ma almeno non per la mancanza di lavoro: le previsioni danno una stagione molto piena, addirittura con più concerti del 2022. Abbiamo già difficoltà nel trovare gli spazi per fare i nostri concerti perché sono già stati prenotati, e sarà un vero delirio. Noi stiamo programmando alcune date già per il 2024.

I tecnici lamentano che in questa stagione sono stati oberati di lavoro, a volte senza un minimo di programmazione e con molta improvvisazione. Le agenzie cosa ne pensano?

I tecnici hanno perfettamente ragione, purtroppo quest’anno abbiamo tutti dovuto improvvisare per mancanza di personale e di materiale. Come ben sai, in questi due anni di fermo molti professionisti hanno dovuto cambiare lavoro, perché avevano una famiglia a casa e dovevano portare a casa uno stipendio. Ci siamo trovati con personale in meno, e in qualche occasione abbiamo dovuto improvvisare. Sicuramente anche da parte nostra siamo consapevoli che bisogna trovare delle forze nuove, o non sarà facile riuscire a formare dei professionisti in così breve tempo. Altrimenti si rischia che nella prossima stagione, quando saranno previsti più spettacoli, ci troveremo in difficoltà.

Nessuno pensa a riorganizzare questo settore, togliendolo da questa estemporaneità?

Noi non abbiamo né le capacità né il tempo di farlo, ma se qualcuno ci pensa, noi ci siamo.

Orazio Caratozzolo - Executive Producer

Tell me about this production. It seems to have had variations, as a national tour was planned.

A tour of several dates around Italy had been planned, but due to force majeure it was postponed, and not cancelled. We kept this date at the Arena by the will of the artist, who had already had to cancel the date scheduled in this venue in 2020. Mika strongly wanted this show, also because it's not easy to find free dates in the Arena.

Because of all these coincidences, the production was handled differently and the scenography also underwent changes, compared to how it was conceived for the tour. Notably, fewer special effects, which involved different timelines. Together with Mika's French production, we brought a small part of the ready-made scene, namely the plan, the heart and the space of the band. For the rest, since we did a series of television shows and concerts, we used the material we had available: Italstage stage, Agorà audio and lights and STS video.

What will happen to the concert market in 2023?

Unfortunately or fortunately it will be a very difficult year, but at least not due to the lack of work: the forecasts predict a very full season, even with more concerts than 2022. We already have difficulty finding the spaces to do our concerts because they are already been booked, and it will be a real delirium. We are planning some dates already for 2024.

The technicians complain that this season they have been overworked, sometimes without a minimum of programming and with a lot of improvisation. What do the agencies think?

The technicians are absolutely right, unfortunately this year we all had to improvise due to lack of personnel and material. As you well know, in these two years of detention many professionals have had to change jobs, because they had a family at home and had to bring home a salary. We found ourselves with fewer staff, and on occasion we had to improvise. Surely we are also aware that we need to find new strengths, or it won't be easy to be able to train professionals in such a short time. Otherwise there is a risk that next season, when more shows are scheduled, we will find ourselves in difficulty.

Does anyone think of reorganizing this sector, removing it from this extemporaneousness?

We have neither the skills nor the time to do it, but if anyone thinks about it, we are here.

Giovanni Vecchi - Head of STS

STS provided the video material for the event. Tell us about this production.

We have been here since 5th September. We did the setups before the Amadeus broadcast, then Fiorello's show, today Mika, then Ramazzotti and Ligabue to follow.

Of course at every show there is a setup to set up. Today we set up two external 4m x 5m screens and four cameras, three manned and one fixed to make a reverse shot. The footage is used exclusively to resume the show and give the furthest viewers the opportunity to enjoy some close-ups, we do not use any type of recorded contributions.

How many of you are to manage the video?

Right now there are nine of us: three as camera operators, two as director and one as director, plus three technicians for the LEDwall.

Alessandro Saralli - Head of Agorà

The lighting operators are all busy. Alessandro, lighting manager, can you give us some more details?

Due to various vicissitudes, this date at the Arena has remained the only one scheduled in Italy, at least for the moment. Only a few of the requests for the original design came from the artist's Lighting Designer. Mainly, he requested in detail a very detailed floor situation, and the same for the frame, a sort of rectangular niche at the back of the stage where the band sits. The niche is surrounded by bars with a dual function: to highlight the outline of the frame, and to illuminate and color the elements of the band. For the rest, he gave us general indications and left us carte blanche.

It looks like a classic design, without so many specials.

We have stuck to a classic design. They didn't have much time left for programming, which happened the night before the show. We mainly played on the frame of the band and on the special effects, with smokes, confetti, and the special of the heart on the final.

I mostly saw Clay Paky material. Was it a request or a choice?

It was a necessity. In this last period we have been doing several close shows in the arena, so we have a certain amount of material available on site, which we need to cover all the productions. We have used the most flexible material, and with Clay Paky we are able to cover all the needs of the show.

How many people worked, and for how long?

We fielded a team of nine people. We left very early in the morning, almost in the dark: the need was to hand over the stage for the evening, for the dress rehearsal. A small room was equipped for operators with Wysiwyg, so that they had time to code offline, and then check during the dress rehearsal.

Luca Toscano - Artech FX Manager

An important part of the show was the effects, smoke, bubbles, confetti and sugared almonds. Luca, what kind of services did you make available for this show?
We are a Neapolitan reality, with branch offices in Milan and San Francisco. We provide a variety of special effects, including flames, sparks, CO₂, confetti, streamers, etc. A show with flames, sparks and pyrotechnic effects was planned for this show, but the superintendent of the Arena did not give us permission. However, we have landed a series of physical special effects machines, which enrich Mika's already good show.

Why this refusal of the superintendence, in your opinion?

The real reason was not given to us. They have already issued an ordinance forbidding the use of these special effects, made from flames and sparks, with a single exception for the Kiss concert.

Front cover

219501194_2022-10-31_SoundLite_numero_152_front.thumb.jpg.8ad4981631fff9d705d0f4ef36a34b63.jpg

page-1

Cari lettori,

Digitate la parola RESILIENZA su internet e troverete questa definizione: la resilienza è un concetto che indica la capacità di far fronte, in maniera positiva, a eventi traumatici, di riorganizzare positivamente la propria vita dinanzi alle difficoltà, di ricostruirsi restando sensibili alle opportunità positive che la vita offre, senza alienare la propria identità. È un concetto in cui mi piace identificarmi, e a dimostrazione di ciò, vi porto la rivista che tenete in mano, nonostante qualche maldicenza senza fondamento. Ritorniamo da voi dopo due anni terribili, durante i quali sono successe tante cose. Visto il nostro spirito, tralasciamo quelle brutte e facciamo tesoro di quelle belle: siamo una realtà unica nel nostro paese, da anni vi proponiamo un’informazione a 360° sia sul web, sia sulla carta. Ci stiamo riorganizzando per pubblicare sul nostro sito notizie più fresche, più snelle, più veloci. Notizie che diffonderemo tramite la nostra newsletter e posteremo sui nostri social. Mentre sulla rivista cartacea daremo spazio a un’informazione più riflessiva, dettagliata e approfondita. Abbiamo già in mente un programma ben chiaro e definito, che col tempo svilupperemo. Abbiamo rinnovato in parte i nostri collaboratori, e a tal proposito saremo ben felici di valutare qualche vostra proposta e qualche collaborazione da remoto, abituati ormai come siamo allo “smart working”.

In questo nuovo numero, vi proponiamo un’analisi dettagliata sull’audio di Vasco fatta dal nostro amico Mario di Cola, uno che sotto il profilo della cultura audio ha sicuramente qualche dB in più di noi.

Per l’evento di Mika all’Arena, abbiamo scomodato invece Alberto “Mente” Butturini per intervistare Massimo Barbieri, fonico FOH di Mika, e Luca Nobilini, PA Man.

Abbiamo assistito agli show di due fenomeni del nostro panorama musicale italiano: Ultimo, in una delle due date a San Siro; e Blanco, il fenomeno ormai pronto per materializzarsi sui palchi di tutta Italia. Abbiamo dato spazio anche alle aziende con i loro prodotti e i loro servizi, che in questo periodo hanno visto una trasformazione importante. E un grande ringraziamento va proprio a loro, agli inserzionisti di questo numero, che ci hanno dato la possibilità di ripartire per un nuovo cammino. Allo stesso modo ci piacerebbe dare spazio ai professionisti e alle organizzazioni, per sapere come hanno trascorso questi due anni.

209381928_2022-10-31_SoundLite_numero_152_p1.thumb.jpg.609b9bf0fb17cab94b732dd0be1a9c72.jpg

page-2

LIVE CONCERT 

30| Mika - The Magic Piano

209399475_2022-10-31_SoundLite_numero_152_p2.thumb.jpg.79617688fc59ea9cf8f9d5f7e7e8aea6.jpg

page-30 + 31

1399026174_2022-10-31_SL_152_p_3031.thumb.jpg.43b2f15fad2eae1024043f348484af81.jpg

page - 32 + 33

947962056_2022-10-31_SL_152_p_3233.thumb.jpg.71403dd1cbbc4453f833476498b93a4d.jpg

page 34 +35

1906980391_2022-10-31_SL_152_p3435.thumb.jpg.0f4314376986cb3bd106c9b30226a76b.jpg

page 36 +37

171919264_2022-10-31_SL_152_p3637.thumb.jpg.769e22a2eb2159a9f9b54a157f6c4565.jpg

page 38 +39

1044328411_2022-10-31_SL_152_p3839.thumb.jpg.c294c8065c1676e9770a6793d6168de0.jpg

page 40

409364306_2022-10-31_SL_152_p_40.thumb.jpg.6a47cdddc9b49160b12543b4df9cd300.jpg

Galleria photo

https://www.soundlite.it/galleria/mika-the-magic-piano

2022-10-31_S&L_#152_21.jpg

2022-10-31_S&L_#152_20.jpg

2022-10-31_S&L_#152_19.jpg

2022-10-31_S&L_#152_18.jpg

2022-10-31_S&L_#152_17.jpg

2022-10-31_S&L_#152_16.jpg

2022-10-31_S&L_#152_15.jpg

2022-10-31_S&L_#152_14.jpg

2022-10-31_S&L_#152_13.jpg

2022-10-31_S&L_#152_12.jpg

2022-10-31_S&L_#152_11.jpg

2022-10-31_S&L_#152_10.jpg

2022-10-31_S&L_#152_9.jpg

2022-10-31_S&L_#152_8.jpg

2022-10-31_S&L_#152_7.jpg

2022-10-31_S&L_#152_6.jpg

2022-10-31_S&L_#152_5.jpg

2022-10-31_S&L_#152_4.jpg

2022-10-31_S&L_#152_3.jpg

2022-10-31_S&L_#152_2.jpg

2022-10-31_S&L_#152_1.jpg

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, SusanT said:

The interview supports the idea that Mika was unable to put on the show he had planned due to production issues.

Yes, it seems he wanted to have flames, sparks and pyrotechnics effects but the Arena's management refused that, the only exception was the Kiss concert.

Luca Toscano - Artech FX Manager  https://www.soundlite.it/articolo/luca-toscan (google translation)

The characters of the concert at the Arena: Mika - The Magic Piano

The interview with Luca Toscano,  Artech FX Manager , on the effects of  Mika's concert at the Verona Arena :

An important part of the show was the effects, smoke, bubbles, confetti and sugared almonds. Luca, what kind of services did you make available for this show?

We are a Neapolitan reality, with branch offices in Milan and San Francisco. We provide a variety of special effects, including flames, sparks, CO₂, confetti, streamers, etc. A show with flames, sparks and pyrotechnics was planned for this show, but the superintendent of the Arena did not give us permission. However, we have landed a series of physical special effects machines, which enrich Mika's already good show.

Why this refusal of the superintendence, in your opinion?

The real reason was not given to us. They have already issued an ordinance forbidding the use of these special effects, made from flames and sparks, with a single exception for the Kiss concert.

What machines have you fielded?

We can group them into three categories. The first, all the paper effects: the paper effects include streamers, confetti and a new photo-realistic machine that simulates snow, made with paper and that doesn't wet the ground. These paper effects are launched using compressed air cannons, with a considerable thrust, and so with just a few machines we can cover the whole Arena. The second category are Dutch machines that emit a high amount of bubbles, with smoke inside. Hit with light rays, they color with a truly remarkable effect. Then there are the classic CO₂ launchers, which we placed further on stage and inside the piano that Mika uses on stage. In total we have placed 28 machines inside the arena, which are operated by 6 people. 

1667571130592.jpeg

1667571322593.jpeg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, krysady said:

We are a Neapolitan reality, with branch offices in Milan and San Francisco. We provide a variety of special effects, including flames, sparks, CO₂, confetti, streamers, etc. A show with flames, sparks and pyrotechnics was planned for this show, but the superintendent of the Arena did not give us permission. However, we have landed a series of physical special effects machines, which enrich Mika's already good show.

Well, maybe pyrotechnics combined with a lot of paper effects are too dangerous?

42 minutes ago, krysady said:

a new photo-realistic machine that simulates snow, made with paper and that doesn't wet the ground.

Yes, it's true. The paper "snow" doesn't melt (not as it was in Bercy in Dec 2020 where they used a wet product).

I still have it with all other "paper effets" from Verona :lol3:

IMG_20221127_181121926.jpg

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Well, maybe pyrotechnics combined with a lot of paper effects are too dangerous?

But they did many shows with those effects, I guess they know how to do it in a safe way. 

Anyway, the effects we got in Verona have been really impressive, I loved every blast and every bubble! It was a special show indeed, and the most magical moment for me it was the fake snow :wub2: You could swear it's real!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, krysady said:

But they did many shows with those effects, I guess they know how to do it in a safe way. 

Anyway, the effects we got in Verona have been really impressive, I loved every blast and every bubble! It was a special show indeed, and the most magical moment for me it was the fake snow :wub2: You could swear it's real!

Yes, the snow moment was really magical. Me and my friends we were all white. What a joy! A snow in mid-September :lol3:

it was like being in a middle of a snow storm. But this time it wasn't cold :original: I was so happy looking up the dark sky and the snowflakes going down. We were laughing like children.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

I was so happy looking up the dark sky and the snowflakes going down.

I think that was the reason why it felt so magical, you could see the real sky and stars during the show and the snow looked so natural! Wouldn't have been the same in an indoor venue with a roof :original:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, krysady said:

I think that was the reason why it felt so magical, you could see the real sky and stars during the show and the snow looked so natural! Wouldn't have been the same in an indoor venue with a roof :original:

I think Verona was my first gig when I really lost myself and forgot where I was. There was a moment I couldn't recall in which city we were. Everything was so unreal. Yes, the open sky for sure was one of the props that night!

• Like 3