2023 - Mika @ Jazzablanca, Casablanca, Morocco - 24 June REPORTS/VIDS/PICS

Kumazzz

8 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

:blink: The writer "Mika invited a girl onto the stage", I guess the person is a BOY...

It is a girl. Ghita is a female first name. I spend some hours before the concert with her, I'm pretty sure that's a girl.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Prisca said:

It is a girl. Ghita is a female first name. I spend some hours before the concert with her, I'm pretty sure that's a girl.

They wrote to me privately that they are trans, but not fully out to everyone yet - so, Ghita = Teddy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, dcdeb said:

They wrote to me privately that they are trans, but not fully out to everyone yet - so, Ghita = Teddy.

Ok thanks, that explains it. :thumb_yello:

47 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Thank you @Kumazzz!

Also when he enters the public he seems to be bothered as he just climbed over the barrier.
Do people not understand to keep their hands to themselves?! 

No, apparently not. :mad3:

45 minutes ago, Prisca said:

They were all photographers/companions of photographers. Instead of securities following Mika when he went into the audience at Big Girl, as I am used to, 15 to 20 photographers followed him to the barrier in the corner when he went into the audience (there were about 30 photographers in total). 😅The audience was peaceful.

I'm not sure if Mika was touched by a lot of people as he didn't pass near me. Where I was in the audience, there were only women (all very nice by the way). I have been approached by several men who most probably wanted to flirt with me (I ignored them), but not at the festival.

I was sent one video of Big Girl that I didn't publish because it seemed pretty clear to me that Mika wasn't happy with the crowd's behavior. He made a hand gesture like "STOP!" at one point -- it's a little discouraging to see, but honestly, I'm surprised to see how respectful most crowds have been. I am always expecting there to be more people grabbing at him.

1 minute ago, dcdeb said:

I was sent one video of Big Girl that I didn't publish because it seemed pretty clear to me that Mika wasn't happy with the crowd's behavior. He made a hand gesture like "STOP!" at one point -- it's a little discouraging to see, but honestly, I'm surprised to see how respectful most crowds have been. I am always expecting there to be more people grabbing at him.

I'm sorry to hear this. It's a pity that this keeps happening. I couldn't see that from my place. Everyone there was respectful.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kumazzz said:

YouTube

Big Girl

I wonder if the guy whom he tried to stop and who lifted him over the barrier in the end was a security guard? He looks like one. Mika doesn't want security to follow him through the crowd, maybe that guy took his job a bit too seriously and didn't listen to Mika's wishes.

7 minutes ago, mellody said:

I wonder if the guy whom he tried to stop and who lifted him over the barrier in the end was a security guard? He looks like one. Mika doesn't want security to follow him through the crowd, maybe that guy took his job a bit too seriously and didn't listen to Mika's wishes.

Look where he tries to put his hand, I'm pretty sure that's not a security guard. :facepalm:

I didn't see any security guards going into the audience...

11 minutes ago, mellody said:

Yes, I have seen the guy as well. I was surprised. But when I saw a girl grabbing Mika's jacket when he was going back through the barrier I thought that finally it was good the guy was just behind him.

11 minutes ago, Prisca said:

Look where he tries to put his hand, I'm pretty sure that's not a security guard. :facepalm:

Or maybe it just looked like that because the girl pulled his jacket and he wanted her to leave his jacket alone? Honestly, I don't know what to think. :dunno_grin:

Edited by Prisca

1 hour ago, dcdeb said:

No, apparently not. :mad3:

This is exactly the video that I saw as well. I would even dare say that he not only gestures him to stop, he actually pushes him back to make him stop. But he didn’t get the hint, continued following him and even “helped” him over the barrier by going full on… 

I mean it’s one thing to be touchy due to enthusiasm (still not OK), but to be ignoring stop signs and continuing with said behaviour is harassment. 

4 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

This is exactly the video that I saw as well. I would even dare say that he not only gestures him to stop, he actually pushes him back to make him stop. But he didn’t get the hint, continued following him and even “helped” him over the barrier by going full on… 

I mean it’s one thing to be touchy due to enthusiasm (still not OK), but to be ignoring stop signs and continuing with said behaviour is harassment. 

Hmm, looked at the video again and it’s actually not very clear. It could be security like @mellodysays who just didn’t listen. What is very clear is Mika’s reaction. Glad he got out of that mess :facepalm:

• Like 3

LE MATIN.ma

https://lematin.ma/express/2023/cloture-apotheose-festival-jazzablanca/391578.html

Mika clôture en apothéose le Festival Jazzablanca

Acclamé par une foule en ébullition, le chanteur libano-américano-britannique Mika a célébré son retour au Maroc, treize ans après sa dernière performance, avec un show phénoménal et un bain de foule pour le plus grand bonheur de ses fans venus nombreux.

FzjWCzvWwAA6-0i.thumb.jpg.4ee487fb7afb1ff0885eadd2254f3344.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NEWSPAPER

La Nouvelle Tribune

29 Jun 2023

La culture pour les âmes, n’en déplaise aux Cassandre

La première question qui a été posée conjointement aux organisateurs du Festival Gnaoua et de Jazzablanca lors de leurs conférences de presse respectives, était pourquoi ces deux festivals ont-ils lieu en même temps cette année. La formulation même de la question était lourde d’insinuations, l’un des deux festivals au moins étant sensé y perdre quelque chose. Pourtant, avec un joli pied de nez aux « haters » qui continueront de l’être, Essaouira et Casablanca ont fait carton plein pour leur édition 2023, chacune à sa manière.

A Essaouira d’abord, prime à l’ancienneté oblige et après une (trop) longue parenthèse à cause de la pandémie de la Covid19, le Festival Gnaoua des Musiques du Monde a explosé les compteurs avec près de 300 000 festivaliers selon les organisateurs. Les grandes fusions et les mâalems étaient de retour, Hoba Hoba Spirit, quasi-emblème du Festival aussi, les riads étaient pleins et tous les commerces de la ville ont eu leur lot de visiteurs. On avait presque oublié ce phénomène alchimique qui se produit entre les remparts, le vent, la mer, la musique et les âmes à Essaouira, le temps d’un week-end. A Casablanca, l’effet de Jazzablanca est tout autre. Alors qu’à Essaouira le Festival englobe la ville, Jazzablanca est une bulle d’oxygène pour les Casablancais, dans son nouvel écrin désormais indissociable de son identité, Anfapark. Tout y est organisé au laser pour une expérience offerte aux festivaliers qui n’a rien à envier aux meilleurs standards internationaux, de l’entrée à la restauration, en passant par la sécurité irréprochable. Mais surtout, parce que ce sont de véritables mélomanes qui en sont aux commandes, Jazzablanca nous a offert une programmation aussi festive que pointue.

Malgré cela, pour beaucoup de critiques bien-pensants, ces festivals ne méritent pas tout ce grabuge au prétexte qu’ils ne bénéficient pas aux Marocains dans leur ensemble ou encore qu’ils ne constituent pas des priorités face aux autres problèmes structurels ou conjoncturels du moment, comme l’inflation ou la baisse du pouvoir d’achat. En somme, nous devrions nous recroqueviller sur nous-mêmes et encaisser les coups durs de la vie en attendant d’être suffisamment repus pour consommer de la culture. On balaye ainsi d’un revers de tweet, toutes les retombées économiques directes de ces organisations qui font appel à des dizaines de prestataires techniques notamment, et donc à des centaines de techniciens, d’employés de la restauration, de l’hôtellerie etc. On balaye également le fait que notre jeunesse, hyper connectée via les réseaux sociaux, lève le nez de ses écrans et entend parler peutêtre pour la première fois de Mahmoud Darwich à Essaouira ou à la chance de découvrir Nile Rodgers qui a composé la chanson « Cuff It » de Beyoncé sur laquelle les ados ont fait des milliers de chorégraphies sur TikTok. Certaines choses ne se quantifient pas en monnaie sonnante et trébuchante. Comme lorsque Beth Hart et Mika clament haut et fort sur scène leur gratitude envers les Marocains pour leur accueil et leur hospitalité, ou que le prodige gnaoui marocain Mehdi Nassouli raconte pendant son concert à quel point les membres du groupe new-yorkais Antibalas ont savouré les tajines de la médina. Les images et séquences des concerts à Essaouira et Casablanca, partagées en nombre sur les réseaux sociaux, mettent en scène des visages heureux, souriants, des corps dansants, et des Marocains qui dodelinent de la tête. En réalité, il n’en faut pas plus pour qualifier ces deux Festivals de franc succès.

Comme disait Bob Marley dans un de ses textes “one good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain”.

:uk: Google translator

Culture for souls, no offense to the Cassandres

The first question that was asked jointly to the organizers of the Gnaoua Festival and Jazzablanca during their respective press conferences, was why these two festivals are taking place at the same time this year. The very wording of the question was heavy with insinuations, at least one of the two festivals being supposed to lose something. However, with a nice snub to the "haters" who will continue to be haters, Essaouira and Casablanca have been a hit for their 2023 edition, each in its own way.

In Essaouira first, seniority bonus obliges and after a (too) long parenthesis because of the Covid19 pandemic, the Gnaoua Festival of World Music exploded the counters with nearly 300,000 festival-goers according to the organizers. The big fusions and the mâalems were back, Hoba Hoba Spirit, quasi-emblem of the Festival too, the riads were full and all the shops in the city had their share of visitors. We had almost forgotten this alchemical phenomenon that occurs between the ramparts, the wind, the sea, the music and the souls in Essaouira, for a weekend. In Casablanca, the effect of Jazzablanca is quite different. While in Essaouira the Festival encompasses the city, Jazzablanca is a breath of fresh air for the people of Casablanca, in its new setting now inseparable from its identity, Anfapark. Everything is organized by laser for an experience offered to festival-goers that has nothing to envy to the best international standards, from admission to catering, including impeccable security. But above all, because real music lovers are in charge, Jazzablanca has offered us a program that is as festive as it is cutting-edge.

Despite this, for many well-meaning critics, these festivals do not deserve all this mayhem on the pretext that they do not benefit Moroccans as a whole or that they do not constitute priorities in the face of other structural or economic problems of the moment, such as inflation or a decline in purchasing power. In short, we should curl up on ourselves and take the hard knocks of life while waiting to be sated enough to consume culture. We thus sweep away with the back of a tweet, all the direct economic benefits of these organizations which call on dozens of technical service providers in particular, and therefore on hundreds of technicians, catering employees, hotels etc. We also sweep away the fact that our youth, hyper connected via social networks, look up from their screens and hear about Mahmoud Darwich in Essaouira for the first time or the chance to discover Nile Rodgers who composed the song "

Cuff It” by Beyoncé on which the teenagers have done thousands of choreographies on TikTok. Some things cannot be quantified in cold hard currency. Like when Beth Hart and Mika proclaim loud and clear on stage their gratitude to Moroccans for their welcome and hospitality, or when the Moroccan Gnaoui prodigy Mehdi Nassouli recounts during his concert how much the members of the New York group Antibalas savored the tagines of the medina. The images and sequences of the concerts in Essaouira and Casablanca, widely shared on social networks, depict happy, smiling faces, dancing bodies, and Moroccans nodding their heads. In reality, it does not take more to qualify these two Festivals as a great success.

As Bob Marley said in one of his texts “one good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain”.

page 1

2023-06-29lanouvelletribune.thumb.jpg.75cd085eab7f094fdd41f1e23ce33163.jpg

page 2

lanouvelletribune-2.thumb.jpg.53729eb42dd95397e0bc7df75a58d37a.jpg

11 hours ago, Prisca said:

I'm not sure if I remember the full set list. :baghead:

I'll think about it and write tomorrow.

I'm not sure if I remember the set list correctly since Bristol, Tilloloy and Casablanca have been close by each other. But I'll try. What I can say is that he didn't play something he usually doesn't play. Lollipop, Grace Kelly, Relax, Origin Of Love, Big Girl, We Are Golden, Yo Yo, Ice Cream, Tiny Love, Underwater, Happy Ending, Blame It On The Girls (not 100% sure), Billy Brown (not sure), Elle Me Dit, Boom Boom Boom.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Prisca said:

I'm not sure if I remember the set list correctly since Bristol, Tilloloy and Casablanca have been close by each other. But I'll try. What I can say is that he didn't play something he usually doesn't play. Lollipop, Grace Kelly, Relax, Origin Of Love, Big Girl, We Are Golden, Yo Yo, Ice Cream, Tiny Love, Underwater, Happy Ending, Blame It On The Girls (not 100% sure), Billy Brown (not sure), Elle Me Dit, Boom Boom Boom.

Thanks for trying to remember the setlist! The main reason why I asked as is because I'm sure it was at this gig that fans could hear him doing 'Overrated' at the sound-check, but I'm not sure if he actually sang it. I would love to hear that song live!

9 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Thanks for trying to remember the setlist! The main reason why I asked as is because I'm sure it was at this gig that fans could hear him doing 'Overrated' at the sound-check, but I'm not sure if he actually sang it. I would love to hear that song live!

Soundcheck included Overrated in both Bristol and Tilloloy, but it wasn’t performed (unfortunately!) at both gigs. 

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

In Morocco, Mika said that they didn't do any soundcheck. They arrived late and had several issues he said (that's probably why they didn't have the new piano there and especially the reason why he had no flowers).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Soundcheck included Overrated in both Bristol and Tilloloy, but it wasn’t performed (unfortunately!) at both gigs. 

There was also Billy Brown at the soundcheck in Sardegna but he didn't play it. When a song is played at the soundcheck, this doesn't necessarily mean that Mika plays it at the concert.

• Like 1

INSTAGRAM

2mtv

https://www.instagram.com/p/CuO4Jx_AktW/

عدد خاص بالدورة 16 لمهرجان #جازابلانكا في عدد هذا الإثنين من برنامج "2M mag" على الساعة 11 ليلا

A special issue of the 16th session of the #Jazzablanca Festival in this Monday's issue of the "2M mag" program at 11:00 pm

Their PREVIEW is here

• Like 1