tell us a tidbit about your culture.

raha!

I live in a small country where everybody knows everyone! it can be funny sometimes, but sometimes it's just annoying lol you can cross the country by car in about an hour... to give you an idea how small it is

almost half of the population are strangers. we are said to loooove cars and I think it's partly true. each family has more than one car and mostly they are new! People often think we are a "tax paradise" but it's only partly true! we have higher incomes but life is also very expensive here! buying a house has become almost impossible...

the landscapes have nothing special... and we don't have the sea :(

I think what I like most about it is that we speak so many languages: we are supposed to be fluent in Luxembourgish, French and German! It really helps a lot in life

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I live in a small country where everybody knows everyone! it can be funny sometimes, but sometimes it's just annoying lol you can cross the country by car in about an hour... to give you an idea how small it is

almost half of the population are strangers. we are said to loooove cars and I think it's partly true. each family has more than one car and mostly they are new! People often think we are a "tax paradise" but it's only partly true! we have higher incomes but life is also very expensive here! buying a house has become almost impossible...

the landscapes have nothing special... and we don't have the sea :(

I think what I like most about it is that we speak so many languages: we are supposed to be fluent in Luxembourgish, French and German! It really helps a lot in life

sorry x stupid question...but exactly, what's luxembourgish? i mean, how does it sounds like? :blink:

heyy i'm from lebanon wich is mika's home country i'm damn proud of it!!!!! to all that think lebanese people live in tents and ride camels it's not true...we'r just like u all exept the mentality here is a bit closed and religion and politics mix and that 's the cause of wars and conflicts and stuff (every month there's a famous politician or journalist killed(by car or underground bombs) for speaking up his mind...u may say it sucks and all but the lebanese people forget all about it after a day or 2 and they continue their lives normally. besides that the night life here is great...party non stop til dawn!!!! i love lebanon great country, u should come and visit...if anyone's coming just tell me i'll take u to the best places ever (yeah it's pretty small every1 knows everyone, kinda like a smal village so no matter where u stay it's not very far from my place)

Who thought Lebanon was the country of tents and camels ??? :shocked:

Whatever... Lebanon is on my list "next to visit" ! Hope i can go soon... Some of my best friends are Lebanese, and i don't know how it ended up like that ! I don't look for Lebanese to be my friends, even if some could think i do :lmao: (to sum up, every time i like someone, he/she is Lebanese/gay/gay and Lebanese :lmao: That's my life ! Not to dig any subject up, of course)

Denmark .. Lets see:

We're very free - nothing is sacred, you can joke about everything. We are generally very happy. We can buy alcohol and smoke when we're 16, have sex whenever we want to :mf_rosetinted: (cool laws :naughty: )

A lot of little girls dress like .. prostitutes! It's disgusting! Ew!

Hmm.. What more to say? Once upon a time, we were vikings, wee!

heyy i'm from lebanon wich is mika's home country i'm damn proud of it!!!!! to all that think lebanese people live in tents and ride camels it's not true...we'r just like u all exept the mentality here is a bit closed and religion and politics mix and that 's the cause of wars and conflicts and stuff (every month there's a famous politician or journalist killed(by car or underground bombs) for speaking up his mind...u may say it sucks and all but the lebanese people forget all about it after a day or 2 and they continue their lives normally. besides that the night life here is great...party non stop til dawn!!!! i love lebanon great country, u should come and visit...if anyone's coming just tell me i'll take u to the best places ever (yeah it's pretty small every1 knows everyone, kinda like a smal village so no matter where u stay it's not very far from my place)

Me too...well i'm a mutt but still i'm mostly lebanese...and i confirm what you said...but actualy i don't live in Leb...but i go there every summer !!:wub2:

Hi everyone

I'm new on the site, and isn't this a great topic to introduce myself.

I'm Iris and I'm from Holland. nothing special, even verry boring. but it's ok here. (no I don't smoke weed:wink2: )

I saw a few months ago 'Grace Kelly'and I fell in love imidiately. ( with the song and Mika).

kiss Iris

Hi everyone

I'm new on the site, and isn't this a great topic to introduce myself.

I'm Iris and I'm from Holland. nothing special, even verry boring. but it's ok here. (no I don't smoke weed:wink2: )

I saw a few months ago 'Grace Kelly'and I fell in love imidiately. ( with the song and Mika).

kiss Iris

hello and welcome, but I think you could introduce yourself @ Introductions forum? :)

I'm a dutchie.

And we dutchies live in a land called holland or the netherlands if you like. It's not that far from MikaLand.

We wear wooden shoes all day long and eat cheese with Heineken. I live in a windmill and every night I go to Amsterdam to have some REAL fun:cheers: ....In the weekends I love being on my father's ship: the flying Dutchman.......

All not true...We are a loving little country but we're mostly known for the bad and the "exiting" things. But we also have good things!! A lot of famous artists were Dutch. Like rembrandt, Vermeer, Esher, van Gogh and Mondriaan.

We like all things sweet and instead of Santa we have a another guy with a beard called Sinterklaas. :naughty: Everyone has a bike here cuz thats way easier than a car. ( and healthier). Family comes first (at least in my family) and the roads here kinda suck. Amsterdam really is a wonderful city! You must have been there at least once in your life. There are great shops and markets to buy lots of braces!!

this is getting kinda long now...

bye

Nice reading up on everyones culture!! :)

I live in Canada.. and I must add that we do have four seasons!! Some people think its cold all the time here but actually some years we do get by with hardly any snow at all and we do get hot summers! :D

Contrary to popular belief we don't wear little welsh hats, eat leek soup and carry lambs round with us in Wales. There are 3 sheep to every 1 person. Only about 20% of the population actaully speak welsh. I can;t think of much else to say...

a random tidbit about canadian culture? well, we say "ay" a lot. but we don't live in igloos or wear moccasins, contrary to popular belie, and we have the most gorgeous natural landscapes ever! AND we are bilingual. but canadian french apparently sounds really stupid to parisians

haha that basically sums it up! that and of course hockey :thumb_yello:

im kind of a mash of canadian/irish/american/english/french

I'm from Lithuania, but I'm Russian myself, but maybe I'll tell you a few things about Lithuania, the east from the Baltic sea...

Lithuanian language is from indoeuropean family, one of the oldest ones.

Basketball is said to be the second religion, seems like everybody likes it here, for Lithuanians it's really very important, if the team wins in any tournament, you can actaully hear those screams, laugh, songs just outside about 2:00 pm, and that's Ok.

30% of the whole territory are forests, pines mostly. We have lots of swamps too, many national parks, and a cosy, silent and beautiful seaside, a sand-tongue called the Curonian Spit, personally I think that's the most beautiful place in Lithuania.

We have many lakes, and they are beautiful too, some of them are like clung together and make a wonderful view.

Favorite snacks to beer are garlic bread, cheese, smoked fish. Lithuanian national dish is "Cepelinai"...it has a shape of zeppelin, potato dumplings stuffed with meat or curd mostly. Also, I can add that there are many types of bread, a good bread, an awesome bread of any kind. And we have always fresh, different and tasty milk products. Then, as we are near to the sea, we have fish, and men here like to go fishing, doesn't matter if it's summer of winter.

People here seem to be friendly, patriotic, brave, true. Though they always trying to keep up with everything what is popular, sometimes they get pretty arrogant. Maybe we have too little respect for each other here. :blink: There so many guys with sport clothes, and girls use to dye their hair blond :shocked: Club life is crazy, but I don't go to the clubs, so I can't say much about it.

The last thing: yes, Lithuania is really not bad, BUT...if you ever come here...never laugh at Lithuanian jokes...they aren't funny!!!

Well, only a few things, I could tell much more actaully as a young geographist :wub2: I love to read your posts as well, that's exciting!

Basketball is said to be the second religion, seems like everybody likes it here, for Lithuanians it's really very important, if the team wins in any tournament, you can actaully hear those screams, laugh, songs just outside about 2:00 pm, and that's Ok.

ooohhh...i know what you mean!:wink2: you should have seen italy after the soccer world championship in july...people screamin and singin everywhere, completely drunk :naughty: people that threw themselves into fountains :blink: everybody hugged everybody, even if they didn't know each other... :boxed: someone was also cryin :blink:

an entire nation gone completely mad! :naughty:

Ok, so, me now. I'm from Poland. My parents are Poles, so, I'm normal polish girl, with polish roots. My family is Catholic, like almost all people in Poland. Our Country is very traditional, and we love to celebrate Christmas or Easter. We prepare many polish dishes, for instance bigos, it's the cabbage with mushrooms and sausage, maybe some of you have heard about it. What else, we are perceived as the 'stupid nation' or 'poor nation', but it's only the stereothype, fake as well. What's more, we are very hospitable people and many people think about us as the tolerant people, I agree with this. Cities in Poland are full of monuments, castles and so on. Our history is very interesting, and it's just too much to say :) I hope it wasn't boring :D

NOT AT ALL ... as long as you speak French everybody is quite nice :punk:

....but don't you dare to come up with English :annoyed_h4h:

:lol3:

just kidding; I LOVE France :wub2:

Me too, but don't you find that if you treat people as you would like to be treated that works?

When I went to the Czech Republic (where are all the Czech fans by the way?) I was told by quite a few people that the Czechs were rude and unfriendly, but I did not find that at all, they were very helpful and welcoming, I think a lot has to do with your own attitude. :)

Who thought Lebanon was the country of tents and camels ??? :shocked:

Whatever... Lebanon is on my list "next to visit" ! Hope i can go soon... Some of my best friends are Lebanese, and i don't know how it ended up like that ! I don't look for Lebanese to be my friends, even if some could think i do :lmao: (to sum up, every time i like someone, he/she is Lebanese/gay/gay and Lebanese :lmao: That's my life ! Not to dig any subject up, of course)

Don't go there. It's private. We don't talk about it. :mf_rosetinted:

I'm from Belgium, a little country in the middle of Europe. Half of us speak Dutch, half French, and at the border with Germany a minority speak German. We are supposed to be at least bilingual (Dutch and French), and we all get lessons in English and German at school.

We are crazy about football too, but our National team doesn't do very well lately. (we once had a crazy goalkeeper called Jean-Marie Pfaff, who is very famous in Germany too:sorry:)

We are very good in tennis, especially women (Kim Clijsters, Justine Henin)

Our national food : French fries (we all think they should be called Belgian fries, because ours are so much better!) with mayonaise. We can eat it every day! And of course we have the world-famous Belgian chocolats! We don't have wine, but we have the best beer in the world (from Jupiler and Stella to specially brewed beer in old abbeys like Corsendonck, Westmalle...), and we drink it a lot...:beer:

And we love to party!:partytime2:

Ok, so, me now. I'm from Poland. My parents are Poles, so, I'm normal polish girl, with polish roots. My family is Catholic, like almost all people in Poland. Our Country is very traditional, and we love to celebrate Christmas or Easter. We prepare many polish dishes, for instance bigos, it's the cabbage with mushrooms and sausage, maybe some of you have heard about it. What else, we are perceived as the 'stupid nation' or 'poor nation', but it's only the stereothype, fake as well. What's more, we are very hospitable people and many people think about us as the tolerant people, I agree with this. Cities in Poland are full of monuments, castles and so on. Our history is very interesting, and it's just too much to say :) I hope it wasn't boring :D

I want to learn Polish. We have an increasing number of Polish immigrants in my area of England and would like to go back to work in teaching and Polish would be an advantage when working with the immigrant children.

Is Polish similar to Russian? I started to learn Russsian a few years ago but didn't keep it up:sneaky2:

sorry x stupid question...but exactly, what's luxembourgish? i mean, how does it sounds like? :blink:

it sounds a bit like German. but we also use some words from French and some people say it sounds like Dutch... it's hard to describe a language lol

What else, we are perceived as the 'stupid nation' or 'poor nation', but it's only the stereothype, fake as well.

:roftl: when you say "poland" in france, many people think of the "polish plumber" , which is a metaphor for liberalism ... Some french people are afraid that your plumbers will come and invade us and take our jobs. It's so silly :thumbdown:

i'm deffo not the first to notice that MFC is full of wonderful people from all over the world! so many different countries, lifestyles, cultures...all coming together to share a common love....cool, isn't it? :punk:

so let's take advantage of this opportunity, i'd say, and say a bit about our own country/culture.

any random tidbits at all! it would be really interesting to hear. :]

ok so me first...

well, i'm living in canada but i'm of indian heritage.

a random tidbit about canadian culture? well, we say "ay" a lot. but we don't live in igloos or wear moccasins, contrary to popular belie, and we have the most gorgeous natural landscapes ever! AND we are bilingual. but canadian french apparently sounds really stupid to parisians :roftl:

and a random tidbit about the indian culture, too? well, we love to accessorize :bleh:, we are very colorful, have incredibly spicy yummy food...and apparently, our bollywood film industry makes the most movies worldwide. hm- never knew that myself.. :boxed: oh, and 99% of indian parents want their kids to become doctors or engineers. it's an unwritten fact! :roftl:

well there you go! you don't have to say as much as i did- that was a bit of a ramble, lol :blush-anim-cl:... but anything at all is always interesting.

Well my great grandmother was Indian my nana was born in Hexham and my grandad was born and passed away :(in Gateshead.