About Mika's language and accent

Susan_xian

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for making this thread soooo interesting!

:blush-anim-cl:It is actually my first thread and I thought there might be no one interested!!

I've been been celebrating Chinese New Year with my family.Actually I don't want to use the word "celebrate" because I think it is more of a responsibility. Don't have much time here. I've been reading everyone's post. it took a while cos my english is not that good.:blush-anim-cl:

It is just amazing to know that he is so talented in languages. Especially after I knew that he doesn't even have an obvious accent in French and Italian.

BTW here is an American accent interview I found.I think this is the strongest American accent interview of his I've ever watched.

And this is one of the more British interview.

Since English is not my native language, I'm not sure if I'm right.

And this is one of the more British interview.

He does sound less british in the first one, but I wouldn't really say American.

In the one with Terry Wogan he sounds definitely a lot more british, but he can speak with a much posher accent like that, its weird. And its quite funny since Wogan's voice is extremely posh....:mikadas:

He can sound quite British but at other times he sounds less so, but not strongly American either - just a change in intonation and vocabulary.

And some words he seems to have his own way of pronouncing :naughty:.

He can sound quite British but at other times he sounds less so, but not strongly American either - just a change in intonation and vocabulary.

Oh, God... I tried to distinguish what is particularly posh in his pronunciation, or vise versa - American, since I came to MFC, but it is in vain :tears: I will never understand it :doh:

Oh, God... I tried to distinguish what is particularly posh in his pronunciation, or vise versa - American, since I came to MFC, but it is in vain :tears: I will never understand it :doh:

All I can say is that to a native English speaker sometimes his pronunciation sounds not quite "right" (eg the way he says "golden" in WAG, or "water" in Underwater). He sounds very English on Grace Kelly :naughty:

In the first interview, his accent sounds to me like Yasmine's. Not quite American, but not quite British either. Something inbetween. The second sounds much more British. Well, whatever the reasons it varies, his accent is always lovely. I liked both those examples. The first was very interesting and the second was just freaking cute.

As an American, I have to say he doesn't sound even remotely American to me in any of the interviews people have linked to! :dunno:

The thing is that is not a full-on British accent so maybe it sounds foreign to you but it is influenced by his American exposure, otherwise he would sound like other Brits. I know a Brit who has been living in Texas for 15 years and his accent is probably the closest to Mika's of anyone I've ever met. I don't think anyone who was born and spent their whole life in England is going to have that particular accent.

In French as well :wub2::naughty:

It's not really a matter of accent but he has his own rythm/mellody when he speaks French like he will cut the word or the sentence where you wouldn't expect it and although his French is really fluent although he might be looking for a word once or twice and sometimes a slang or familiar word will pop out :teehee: When he speaks French he has his own music :wub2:

In French as well :wub2::naughty:

It's not really a matter of accent but he has his own rythm/mellody when he speaks French like he will cut the word or the sentence where you wouldn't expect it and although his French is really fluent although he might be looking for a word once or twice and sometimes a slang or familiar word will pop out :teehee: When he speaks French he has his own music :wub2:

I think that's the way he lives his whole life. To his own music. That's a nice way you put it. :huglove:

:thumb_yello:

Edited by Alireine

When he speaks French he has his own music :wub2:

I think that's the way he lives his whole life. To his own music. That's a nice way you put it. :huglove:

Hi! :)

I don't even understand a word when he speaks French ...

strangely I understand him better when he speaks in English.

but when he speaks in French seems to sing ...

and for me it's okay! :thumb_yello::)

i love his french accent and his spanish accent, any accent really XD. he has actually taught me a bit of french and italian through his songs which is great and it has strengthened my spanish a bit (i learnt it for gcse and then stopped but hearing spanish helps me to remember it more)

i think the person who said he has his own music when he speaks french summarized perfectly the situation. He speaks quite perfectly, of course sometimes he makes mistakes, uses a word for another, or doesn't understand everything. But ultimately, yes, he does speak with a french ( i'd say Parisian ) accent. There's just this slightly little "foreigner" sound that makes it even more adorable.

• Like 1

i think the person who said he has his own music when he speaks french summarized perfectly the situation. He speaks quite perfectly, of course sometimes he makes mistakes, uses a word for another, or doesn't understand everything. But ultimately, yes, he does speak with a french ( i'd say Parisian ) accent. There's just this slightly little "foreigner" sound that makes it even more adorable.

Ceebs and I both said this :wink2: and I love the way he does it too :wub2:

Hi! :)

I don't even understand a word when he speaks French ...

strangely I understand him better when he speaks in English.

but when he speaks in French seems to sing ...

and for me it's okay! :thumb_yello::)

I understand him better when he speaks in English too :teehee:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, has anyone notice that on The Voice when the Mexico guy sang Listen he sang a little bit Spanish verse, but Mika didn't recognize the Language! And he didn't show off some Spanish either, which is so not him!!

So why is that? Because the Mexican accent? Or he really forgot Spanish?

I so noticed it and I was puzzled. I mean, everyone can recognize spanish. I don't get what happend. He might have been really tired... ? :dunno:

I think Jenifer didn't recognize Spanish either. Mike turned to her and she said Beyonce, listen, l'anglais He also turned to Garou I think? I don't remember.

He didn't go to absent minded actually. He was making efforts to figure out what the language is but didn't. Some MFC said that he forgot Spanish when he managed Italian quickly. But is it possible to forget so completely?

I think Jenifer didn't recognize Spanish either. Mike turned to her and she said Beyonce, listen, l'anglais He also turned to Garou I think? I don't remember.

He didn't go to absent minded actually. He was making efforts to figure out what the language is but didn't. Some MFC said that he forgot Spanish when he managed Italian quickly. But is it possible to forget so completely?

I dont think so he forgot spanish completely. I spoke with him in spanish last November in Milan and he did understand me because he answered me correctly :wink2:

But Mika likes teasing us :naughty:

I don't think Mika has forgotten spanish...is just that italian and spanish are very, VERY similar (I'm from Mexico, so spanish is my birth language and without having studied italian I even have a little idea of it) and that's why he gets confused...

it happens the same to me... I've studied english since kindergarten, and now that I study french, my brain can only manage to think in english while on french class :S :(

Yeah, last year he went to Spain while he was in the middle of learning all of that Italian and this is what happened...

Its really cute though, I love him because he tries really hard, and I know that his spanish can be nearly perfect, like 6 months before that with this interview

He has an amazing accent, it is genuinely nearly perfect, I have a British-French friend who lived in Spain for 6 years when she was little and she has a much worse accent!

yeah, he tries so hard!!! I know, not only from Mika, but from a lot of people that learning and speaking spanish is really difficult for english speakers, because of the pronunciation, and our grammar...