REPORTS/PICS/VIDS - Mika at Riviera Theater, Chicago, 2009-OCT-20

lollipop_monkey

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This picture is kind of crazy because it's like Mika and his band next to miniature Mika and his band.

thanks for all these photos, I knew people would take better ones than I could-

LOVE that photo! they were so bright all lined up!

last time they never did the proper bow thing at the end, I really like that touch, very classy.

Cherisse's hair was not as....voluminous and vertical as it was last time, and I missed seeing her drumming in front for Love Today, but she is always AWESOME!

Martin looked happy, I don't know the other members that well yet, but they all

did a fantastic job...it was funny when the lamp shade crashed to the floor at the beginning of their little skit!

Glad to share, Leona! I agree, their bow was terrific...they're all so vibrant at that point!

I forgot to say earlier that when we were all kneeling down, Martin looked right at me and pointed at his eyes, then pointed at me....I am not sure what he meant to say when he did that. I just smiled.

Edited by mandilambi

Glad to share, Leona! I agree, their bow was terrific...they're all so vibrant at that point!

I forgot to say earlier that when we were all kneeling down, Martin looked right at me and pointed at his eyes, then pointed at me....I am not sure what he meant to say when he did that. I just smiled. It was almost like "I know you." or something...

ha! maybe he meant he was watching you to see you didn't peek!

just thought of something- was Andy there filming it??

-----------

I'm going to bed, get some sleep happy Mika-travelers!

Edited by leonita

Okay, so this was my first Mika concert ever and I have to say it met every expectation.

I don't know if any of you saw, but during 'big girl (you are beautiful)' song he took my hat off my head and put it on his and started dancing around. It was amazing! After the show, I had him sign my arm because the hat was soaking wet from the rain, and he said, "thank you for making the hat. you didn't want to give it to me." and I laughed and explained how I didn't know he was trying to get it. He then went on to talk about a photoshoot he did with that kind of hat in a magazine (he used a lot of names that I didn't know of, lol).

anyways, i was literally dead center in the front row, and I have to say that is obviously the best place to be. He spent most of his time right in the middle of the stage about a foot away from me.

I met some great people in line too! Thanks to everyone who made this first show great for me. See you all next time for sure.:biggrin2:

Okay, so this was my first Mika concert ever and I have to say it met every expectation.

I don't know if any of you saw, but during 'big girl (you are beautiful)' song he took my hat off my head and put it on his and started dancing around. It was amazing! After the show, I had him sign my arm because the hat was soaking wet from the rain, and he said, "thank you for making the hat. you didn't want to give it to me." and I laughed and explained how I didn't know he was trying to get it. He then went on to talk about a photoshoot he did with that kind of hat in a magazine (he used a lot of names that I didn't know of, lol).

anyways, i was literally dead center in the front row, and I have to say that is obviously the best place to be. He spent most of his time right in the middle of the stage about a foot away from me.

I met some great people in line too! Thanks to everyone who made this first show great for me. See you all next time for sure.:biggrin2:

I remember you, because we were hat twins. :) I intentionally took two pics when he put your hat on, just in case you'd decide to join! I will post them tomorrow....as I have to scoot to sleep! Glad you decided to join we MFCers!

Wow, I write alot huh? The last two paragraphs are the best, I think.

At three in the morning I was wide eyed and paralyzed, tucked underneath my blankets. By nine I was in my Media Ethics & Law class trying to not look so dazed and distracted. By 12:30 I was on a Redline train heading toward the venue. At approximately 1:00 I was wandering around the WRONG side of town because my stop had been canceled. Great! Fifteen minutes into my panic and I had found The Riv. Thank God. I waited with some lovely fans for about five hours, total. My lazy hipster (but adorable) crowd of friends met me in line just in time. Next came the standard, waiting around in anticipation.

The smell of a moshpit is always an interesting one. Honestly, I’m used to smelling pot smoke at the concerts I go to. I didn’t smell THAT, but I smelled something. The show started at about 8:30-ish. The intro was so fitting to the venue. I know that the theater dates back to the 20’s, but the whole 1950’s “Let’s sit around the TV and be cute” thing was really appropriate. How do you describe this show? It was simply MAGIC. I managed to score the second row which was very nice.

Mika sounded so great and he looked…let me say, gorgeous. When he’d pass our part of the pit, I could catch little instances of complete joy in his face. Really, when he smiles it’s like your heart pumps confetti instead of blood. It’s more than just a handsome face, it’s this genuine happiness and appreciation that shines through him. The energy of the crowd was fierce, and Mika took notice. The first show in Chicago he was getting a feel for the crowd. It took him a bit longer to warm up to us. The second time around he knew us a lot better. Well, THIS TIME, was the BEST time. I felt the warmth of the audience (literally) and I knew he could too. He thanked the city several times.

At the end of the show I got a call from my sister who had staked out a spot in the alley for me and my friend Luis (lulu) and when I arrived at the spot I realized she and my other buddy Ritter were first in line. Thus, I too was first in line. It was pretty crowded, but when it started to rain I think people were a little less hopeful that he’d come out. If anything I expected him to wave and smile. But then again, I knew better. I had the same feeling I did at The Metro two years ago. “He’s gonna stay a while.” I didn’t have it last year at HOB, but I had it yesterday for sure.

I wasn’t nervous, I wasn’t contemplating my words…just reapplying my mascara. We waited, in total, for what felt like 45 minutes. John came out a few times from the back door. At one point a pizza was delivered inside as well. Kind of hilarious!

A line of average sized people trail out of the doorway holding umbrellas and then.... Mika, sky high and cloaked in a military style black coat. I noticed that first, come on now :) Actually first I noticed that smile. He wasted no time, though scanned the crowd with his eyes before trudging (with very large steps) toward me. By now it wasn’t a line, more of a row up in front and I was on the far right. So he darted toward me first, looking me straight in the eyes with that insanely adorable wide smile. I wasn’t aware of myself or conscious of how I was around him. It was the coolest I’ve been around Mika. Ha, as ridiculous of an analysis that is, I really mean it.

He walks toward me and I’m thinking, “Wow, me first huh? “ and “Awwwwwww.” So I asked him if he’d sign my album and he said “Of course!” He’s a pro now at that quick sharpie action. While signing the album my sister chimes in because she knew I wouldn’t fess up…Fess up to what? What else, that book I’m chained to for half a year that archives Mika’s every move and all of his adoring fans. “Hey Mika, she’s the editor of the fanclub’s yearbook.” So he continued to look at me and I think it dawned on him. So I continued the thought “Yeah, you know that book you get once a year from the MFC.” It’s very weird for me to take credit for anything that massive. It’s almost as though, If I were anyone else I’d be annoyed with THAT girl who pats herself on the back. So I don’t do that, ever. And I would never have mentioned it to him. It would have been too weird to say it. BUT, I am glad my sister did…. that sneaky girl.

“Yes! The Yearbook!” He said and quite honestly I cannot remember a single word after that. My brain went dead when I had my “Aha” moment finding his wide glittery eyes on mine and his head bent over me under his umbrella. I did mention that we were working on the 09’ book. It’s a blur, zapped of specific quotes other than the ones I just gave. But the details I’ve always remembered from our encounters have been the little instances of human to human connection. His face that close and the fact that I could make eye contact with him. (I couldn’t two years ago)

So it was a simple moment. I don't see him very often. I can't globe trot. So this one show, this one little instance made me realize that I'm not insane for doing what I do for him. Because when he's up there and your down there...and he sings and you sing back to him, you'll see it in his face that there will never be anyone like him. He’s magic.

A whole of a story wow! loved every single part of it :thumb_yello:

Just a few pics of the rainy signing :)

Gosh, I've always thought his nose was adorable.

mikaweek09086.jpg

mikaweek09087.jpg

More to come, hopefully soon.

How can he be so adorable? :fangurl:

Unfinished sewing:

9923_787973842100_15932359_44414222_4859204_n.jpg

Finished prduct:

9923_787973847090_15932359_44414223_3513551_n.jpg

Lovely cross stitch!!

They said that MFCers think that we're better than other Mika fans,that we always want to know his personal business, and that we think we deserve special privileges. :sneaky2:

Oh how did they knew that? :teehee: Lurkers!:sneaky2::naughty:

Okay, fixed it *I think* Thank God for Lu, I was jumping too much to record.

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff237/BonjourMika1990/?action=view&current=mikamont.flv

Lovely clip Melanie!

Good for him that the shoes are back on, we don’t want him to catch a cold!

The teapot!:wub2:

I have only been home for about an hour, so my thoughts are a little scattered right now, but I do want to say that last night was absolutely phenominal. I can't express enough how much I enjoyed seeing Mika once again. As I was watching the show I almost felt blessed to have the opportunity to see him and how going for so long without seeing him almost made the experience all the sweeter.

It was great getting to hang out with so many MFCers. Leona did such a great job with the flag and I am glad that all of us were able to come together and do something that we love.

I loved the intro to the whole show. The whole 50's vibe was ingenious and I loved it most because the 50's is one of my favorite time periods, especially the clothing! The costumes from this tour were gorgeous...everything in the encore was simply stunning.

A few days before the show I decided to replicate Mika's top hat during Dr. John. I ended up finding the same colors of the feathers and it actually looked very similar! I decided not to wear the hat until he put his on during Dr. John. As soon as he walked to my side, he stopped and stared at me and then got a grin on his face. I pointed to him as if to say "I know what you're thinking!" and it was such a funny moment! I had thought earlier that I may have wasted money on something that may not get recognized or may not ever be used again, but after getting that moment I was glad I had gone ahead with it. :)

I went absolutely bonkers during BIOTG and Rain. Those two songs are rock solid live and they were a big highlight for me.

During Love Today Mika decided to do something different (no idea if he has done this before). He told all of us to close our eyes and to bend down low. He said that when he counted to three, he wanted all of us to jump at the same time. Of course, we did as commanded, even though HE wasn't even sure if it was going to turn out well or not. LOL It was fun and impromptu.

Good Lord, the performance of WAG was complete bliss! I think we actually shocked him during WAG. At one moment (I think during the first chorus), he was on his knees and looked as if he was blown away with how much enthusiasm we had and how much we were singing back to him. It was priceless.

Everyone was in the palm of his hand and how happy we all were to be there!

He commented on the fact that he had been to Chicago three times now and my heart was really warmed by that. I felt so happy to be one of the people that been following him since his first visit and it was great to know how much he appreciated the continual warm welcomes. It certainly has made those 7 hour drives worth it.

We all waited outside for him to come out, as you all know. It was entirely generous of him to come out, considering it was pouring rain a few moments before he came out. Sometimes his graciousness with his fans blowns my mind!

The rain was certainly a damper on things, but I was determined to stay and to give him the cross stitch I had worked on all day! Once he came out, the crowd became increasingly excited.

Once he came to me, I handed him my cross stitch and said that we had met before but that I didn't know if he remembered me. He looked at the cross stitch and then back at me and said "Yes, I do remember you! I still have the last one you made for me. I framed it." My heart soared when he said that! To imagine that something I have made has been framed by him...well, that's a little difficult to believe. But also certainly rewarding in a way that I wasn't prepared for.

He also told me he liked my hat...I said thank you or something along those lines. I handed him a picture of us that we took that last time we met and then he said "Oh, I look so much better now! I was completely knackered when that photo was taken." I said "Well, you were amazing tonight, so...thank you so much for coming back to play for us." Then I moved so he could get to the people behind me.

So...all in all a wonderful night. Spectacular performance, getting to meet the Big M himself, and also being able to be around MFCers was great fun. Mika shows truly are unlike any other!

Thank you for this sweet report, I'm so happy for you for this moments!:thumb_yello:

Thank you for your report.:thumb_yello: Glad you had a great first show :punk:

..and :welcomeani: to MFC!:wink2:

Thanks Nono...:) and yes, he is!

More pics...

Unfinished sewing:

Finished prduct:

9923_787973847090_15932359_44414223_3513551_n.jpg

Oh wow, that is a lot of work!

So beautiful!:wub2:

I wish I had so much patience as it takes to create things like that!:blush-anim-cl:

Unfinished sewing:

Thank you for your report, the pictures and posting a photo of your amazing cross stitch.:flowers2:

Glad you had a wonderful time at the gig:thumb_yello:

PS: looks like your experience comes close to topping your stage performance with Gwen:teehee:

WHAT. What were they saying?

EDIT: Thanks for the pics everyone!

There was this couple there who I guess were there with their kids, but insisted on being next to them (against the stage) instead of standing behind them and letting some actual fans get the five feet of stage space. The dad was really tall and a big guy (picture a motorcycle guy, he was wearing a harley davidson shirt) and was so rude to us. They were like telling people around them "No one gives a $#!T how long you drove or how long you waited, we all have our story so deal with it." and they literally shoved some younger girls and were yelling at kids that were not theirs right in front of their mom. I breathed in a breath of the stage smoke unexpectedly and coughed for a minute, and apparently the dad thought I was purposely coughing on him so he turned around and intentionally coughed IN MY FACE. SERIOUSLY, grow up!!! He was like a 40 year old man!!! Then whole concert he just stood there. ROAR!

Sorry just vented there a bit.

There was this couple there who I guess were there with their kids, but insisted on being next to them (against the stage) instead of standing behind them and letting some actual fans get the five feet of stage space. The dad was really tall and a big guy (picture a motorcycle guy, he was wearing a harley davidson shirt) and was so rude to us. They were like telling people around them "No one gives a $#!T how long you drove or how long you waited, we all have our story so deal with it." and they literally shoved some younger girls and were yelling at kids that were not theirs right in front of their mom. I breathed in a breath of the stage smoke unexpectedly and coughed for a minute, and apparently the dad thought I was purposely coughing on him so he turned around and intentionally coughed IN MY FACE. SERIOUSLY, grow up!!! He was like a 40 year old man!!! Then whole concert he just stood there. ROAR!

Sorry just vented there a bit.

Jeez! Everyone has their story, I agree, but what was his exactly? I'm gonna MOUTH my way to the front?

Okay guys. We got home after a little site seeing in Chicago yesterday night. Then we had school this morning....plus we are sick.....so please bear with us.

The concert was amazing! We have never met more nicer people than those of the MFC. You were all just fabulous.

Leona you were just awesome. You were in complete control and in the times of a Mika concert one of us has to be. You were great.

Sara you were just loads of fun. Loved getting to meet you.

Amanda....pleasure to meet you and Claire. We felt so comfortable around you like we've known you for years. We loved it when Mika said he framed your cross stitch. That was so neat.

Everybody from the MFC is awesome!

We have never been to a more fabulous concert in our lives. We were front row after a heck fire brutal entrance. But front row and it was so cool. Mika was so close to us and there was major eye contact.

We'll probably go into more detail later on. But we finally got to meet the one and only. We've got some pics of the meet and greet action. What stunned us was that when we met him and after he signed our Songs For Sorrow book, we both said hi in unison and told him that he was awesome and fabulous. Then he looked at us back forth straight in the face and smiled and said Are you the Mayer OR Meyer Sisters? We said Meyer and said YES!!!! He said I know you. (Don't really know how because we've never met him before in our life) He then went to sign somebody elses stuff and then turned to us again and said So Your The Famous Meyer Twins!!! We were like OMG YES!!!! We think he kind of knows us because of all the artwork that other people have passed to him over the years. Plus before the concert we gave John an envelope we made with a new cartoon we did of him. In the midst of all of this we said he got the cakes that Sara had ordered and that he was so pleased. So yay. Before he went along down the line we all said thank you Mika and he was like Thank You It was great to meet you.

We will definitely have more stuff to put. We were front row and we got about 4 full length song videos that we haven't uploaded yet and a lot of photos so stay tuned.

Love to you all!

The "Famous" Meyer Twins

We'll probably go into more detail later on. But we finally got to meet the one and only. We've got some pics of the meet and greet action. What stunned us was that when we met him and after he signed our Songs For Sorrow book, we both said hi in unison and told him that he was awesome and fabulous. Then he looked at us back forth straight in the face and smiled and said Are you the Mayer OR Meyer Sisters? We said Meyer and said YES!!!! He said I know you. (Don't really know how because we've never met him before in our life) He then went to sign somebody elses stuff and then turned to us again and said So Your The Famous Meyer Twins!!! We were like OMG YES!!!! We think he kind of knows us because of all the artwork that other people have passed to him over the years. Plus before the concert we gave John an envelope we made with a new cartoon we did of him. In the midst of all of this we said he got the cakes that Sara had ordered and that he was so pleased. So yay. Before he went along down the line we all said thank you Mika and he was like Thank You It was great to meet you.

We will definitely have more stuff to put. We were front row and we got about 4 full length song videos that we haven't uploaded yet and a lot of photos so stay tuned.

Love to you all!

The "Famous" Meyer Twins

OMG!! THAT IS AWESOME!!! He knows who you guys are!!! That's it - I totally believe he looks through the Yearbook.

Speaking of which...Mel, if you're not busy, could you update the main page of the thread? I sent ya some shizzle :teehee: (via email)