REPORTS/PICS/VIDS - Mika at Riviera Theater, Chicago, 2009-OCT-20

lollipop_monkey

they were in a Tupperware container, she was in front of me, he got them ok.

me & Sara under marquee

th_019.jpg

thanks for the pic leona!

i can see a girl in the background wearing the same feathered hat mika wears at gig!

who's she?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the pic leona!

i can see a girl in the background wearing the same feathered hat mika wears at gig!

who's she?

her name is...Sam? I think- can't recall if she's on MFC, her & her friend Emily drove many hours from Michigan, and got there in line before 10 am! - actually, Mika reached down & picked the hat off her & wore it for part of a song, then gave it back--- she was thrilled!

and another girl who's studying photography got a press pass, so she got to take photos from in front of the barrier-

but I'm sure they have their own stories to tell!

OMG. F my life. I was like at the end of the line, waited 30 minutes or so and then left after the rain started up since I figured there was no chance he'd make his way that far down. GGGRRR. Oh well, I bought one of those signed prints.

OMG. F my life. I was like at the end of the line, waited 30 minutes or so and then left after the rain started up since I figured there was no chance he'd make his way that far down. GGGRRR. Oh well, I bought one of those signed prints.

oh, that's too bad- but the numbered signed prints were sweet- how did you like the show? better than last year?

live review and gallery :wink2:

A bit of Freddie Mercury, a bit of Wham!, some of Elton’s glitter, heartfelt power ballads, maybe some Flaming Lips big balloon showmanship and effortless, fervent crowd interaction, a Tron jacket, dayglo clothing, trashcan drumming, a giant teacup, marionettes—you couldn’t really ask for all that in one night out, especially one that gets you home by 10:30? Could you?

Twenty-six year old pop star Mika (raised in Beirut and London) strutted, scissor-kicked, wore a dayglo feather hat and sang high notes all over the place at the Riviera—all the while sincerely convinced that this was the best American audience he’d ever had the pleasure (or “honor”) of dazzling. But I got the feeling he’d dazzled a few. Late in the set, he said his band was playing bigger venues every time it came through “to the surprise even of my record company.” I wouldn’t doubt it—the crowd sang along—and generally freaked out in near Beatlemania-style hysteria to every electricity-charged move he made—and at about 13 moves per second that’s a lot of freaking.

Like someone who’s been practicing pop star moves in his parent’s full-length mirror since he was out of diapers, every cut and turn, kick, pop, smile and banter from Mika seems like it was designed for maximum entertainment. But just as practiced and deftly executed were Mika’s songs—as he soared into vocal stratospheres, cruised the falsetto register, the guy never slips or struggles. That’s entertainment.

The singer’s ambiguous sexuality plays to a large cross-section of pop fan’s fantasies—young ladies and grown gay men seemed equally enraptured with his dramatic dance pop. One couple arrived at 4:30pm to get a place at stage front. Try finding Mika on the radio and you’ll come up empty—but last night’s gig felt like a sign that this singer’s moment has come—at least in Chicago, his popularity is soaring.

Around 8:30pm, after peeling himself out of a white spacesuit, the slim singer rushed the stage moments later in all-white—probably the greatest stage entrance I’ve seen this year.

Early in the set, “Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)” got the disco dance party going—like Boney M chomping on a plate of baklava—outdoing the entire Scissor Sisters catalog in just a few minutes. Mika opened his suitcase during “Dr. John.” “Blue Eyes,” which has an Afropop rhythm, came soon after—complete with big blue eyed props. After a marionette interlude, the band threw current single “Blame It On the Girls” at us.

The theatricality included more than Mika’s spacesuit, and entrance and exit with a suitcase full of props and designer suit jackets—with a subtle (the only subtlety of the night) reference to the Music Man. And tunes like “Billy Brown,” a flippant pop number a married guy who falls for another fellow, was particularly theatrical—like a West End musical erupting in the middle of Uptown. Mika’s diva ballad “I See You” came next—with spotlights and strings schmaltzing things up—it might have been a bit too much even for Mika, almost too straight-faced, perhaps, except that it ended with a confetti cannon storm on stage, which made it strangely okay.

The regular keys and bass-heavy set (with Mika taking to electric piano and singing horn solos) climaxed with the magnificent “We Are Golden” from The Boy Who Knew Too Much before Mika took his showman’s suitcase away, but soon he and his five-piece band were back with the less-charming cabaret-inspired “Toy Boy,” then his should-have-been-a-hit-here UK number one “Grace Kelly,” then whacking trash cans for a chaotic farewell “Lollipop.” Like a party ending at just the right time, Mika, like an expert host—threw us out thoroughly dazzled.

The only trouble will be topping show number three the next time around. Maybe Dick Van Dyke has some suggestions for that one.

Read more: http://www3.timeoutny.com/chicago/blog/out-and-about/2009/10/mika-at-riviera-theatre-live-review-and-gallery/#ixzz0UYbyUBV9

t4p daniela:thumb_yello:

timsimms: @mikasounds Seriously, Happy Ending nearly had me in tears. LOVED the set list. And the show overall? Perfection. less than a minute ago from web

pink_flamingo7: @mikasounds i have a permanent smile from your show tonight. Thank you!

minxsie: @mikasounds blew me away tonight! Whoo! Waiting on my Chicago style pizza watching TV in this sweet hotel room I have to myself. less than a minute ago from web

ScottRMiller: http://twitpic.com/mbnvp - @mikasounds Mika & I after the show @ The Riviera in Chicago. I havent smiled this much in a LONG time. half a minute ago from TwitPic

Oh lord, he's gonna catch his death of cold!!!:shocked:

Seriously, he must be freezing! That picture worries me because in that T-shirt you can see that he is SO THIN! I pray and hope he's taking care of himself during his tour!

Seriously, he must be freezing! That picture worries me because in that T-shirt you can see that he is SO THIN! I pray and hope he's taking care of himself during his tour!

The photo was taken indoors. I'm sure if he was freezing he would have put something else on. It's not like he has a shortage of clothes. :naughty:

This is probably going to be the worst report ever. I'm so tired and confused.

We got there at 2:00, and we went to the wrong end of the line and felt really stupid. I knew who some of the MFCers were, but I'm really shy, so I didn't really talk to anyone beside my sister and friend. One lady came up and shook our hands (I don't remember who), and someone gave us glow bracelets, and The Meyer Twins gave us gold necklaces. So thanks guys. :biggrin2:

Anyhoo, when it was time to go in, they separated the guys and girls and searched us. I had a tiny purse, and my sister had no purse so we got through quickly, but my friend had a big purse and it took forever for them to search her. Then we waited for them to open the doors,and it got very hot. When they opened the doors everyone ran to the stage. We were so scared, especially because there was a guy twice my size who almost trampled me and didn't seem to care. :blink:

We were about 4 rows back which was pretty good,but there were 2 very tall ppl in front of us who refused to let us ahead of them despite the fact that we had waited all day in line, and we would not have blocked their view at all.

It seemed like we waited FOREVER for Gary Go to come on stage, and when he finally did, some ppl were saying very rude things about him. :sneaky2:

By the time Mika came out, my friend had found a way to maneuver our group away from the tall ppl, so we actually did see him!

The whole show was amazing, despite the pushy ppl behind us with fingernails on a chalkboard voices who didn't even know the difference between I See You and Rain.

I cried 3 times during the show: once when he said that nobody expected him to have success in he U.S., but he does because of us, once at the end of Dr. John (I have no idea why :blush-anim-cl:), and I cried all throughout Happy Ending.

Everything was so spectacular especially WAG because the whole crowd was singing, and Mika looked thrilled. He smiled so much last night, and everything about him was more beautiful in person :fangurl:. At one point I'm pretty sure he checked to make sure his fly was zipped. :naughty: He also took a girl's feather hat and wore it. Oh, and he made us get down on the ground, close our eyes, and jump on the count of 3, which was terrifying.

My emotions were so crazy during and after the show. :teehee: As I said before, I cried 3 times. I also came close to crying at random times throughout his performance. Plus, after Dr.John, I was still crying, and he played Blue Eyes, prompting my sister to say, "He's singing to you!" For some reason I started laughing hysterically when she said that. I cried for about an hour on the way home and kept saying that I couldn't believe it was over. I still don't believe it even happened. :shocked: When I got home, I was so ready for bed. Then I saw a shooting star, and started crying again. :naughty: I've had about an hour's worth of sleep since then, and my throat is sore, but I'm happy.

Hopefully I'll get to meet him next time (THERE HAS TO BE A NEXT TIME!!!) For some reason, my step-dad was in a huge hurry to leave and was waiting outside afterwards. He walked way ahead of us because we could barely even walk. We wanted to meet him so badly. Even my sister, who had a migraine by the end of it, wanted to wait and meet him.

:sad:

Oh well, it was a great first gig. :wub2:

Edited by lala_lollies44

RivieraTheatre-14.jpg

I absolutely adore this photo -- it reminds me of that very old video

interview in black & white, Mika in Two Minutes, or whatever it was called.

He's reading something about himself from a paper, and he gets stuck, and

he grabs his hair just like that. :wub2::wub2::wub2:

OK I need to snap out of this :fangurl: mode! :shocked:

We were about 4 rows back which was pretty good,but there were 2 very tall ppl in front of us who refused to let us ahead of them despite the fact that we had waited all day in line, and we would not have blocked their view at all.

It seemed like we waited FOREVER for Gary Go to come on stage, and when he finally did, some ppl ere saying very rude things about him.

By the time Mika came out, my friend had found a way to maneuver our group away from the tall ppl, so we actually did see him!

The whole show was amazing, despite the pushy ppl behind us with fingernails on a chalkboard voices who didn't even know the difference between I See You and Rain.

I cried 3 times during the show: once when he said that nobody expected him to have success in he U.S., but he does because of us, once at the end of Dr. John (I have no idea why), and I cried all throughout Happy Ending.

Everything was so spectacular especially WAG because the whole crowd was singing, and Mika looked thrilled. He smiled so much last night, and everything about him was more beautiful in person :fangurl:. At one point I'm pretty sure he checked to make sure his fly was zipped. :naughty: He also took a girl's feather hat and wore it. Oh, and he made us get down on the ground, close our eyes, and jump on the count of 3, which was terrifying.

My emotions were so crazy during and after the show. :teehee: As I said before, I cried 3 times. I also came close to crying at random times throughout his performance. Plus, after Dr.John, I was still crying, and he played Blue Eyes, prompting my sister to say, "He's singing to you!" For some reason I started laughing hysterically when she said that. I cried for about an hour on the way home and kept saying that I couldn't believe it was over. I still don't believe it even happened. When I got home, I was so ready for bed. Then I saw a shooting star, and started crying again. :naughty: I've had about an hour's worth of sleep since then, and my throat is sore, but I'm happy.

Hopefully I'll get to meet him next time (THERE HAS TO BE A NEXT TIME!!!) For some reason, my step-dad was in a huge hurry to leave and was waiting outside afterwards. He walked way ahead of us because we could barely even walk. We wanted to meet him so badly. Even my sister, who had a migraine by the end of it, wanted to wait and meet him.

Such a great report, thank you so much!! :wub2: (It was a long post so I didn't quote the whole thing). I'm sorry to hear about those rude people :sneaky2: Actually I liked Gary Go! And even if someone doesn't like an opening act, it's very rude to show it, imho.

It was so emotional first gig, wasn't it :wub2: I'm happy you had a wonderful time! I'm sure there will be a next time!!

"At one point I'm pretty sure he checked to make sure his fly was zipped."

:lmfao::lmfao:

RivieraTheatre-14.jpg

:fangurl:

This is probably going to be the worst report ever. I'm so tired and confused.

We got there at 2:00, and we went to the wrong end of the line and felt really stupid. I knew who some of the MFCers were, but I'm really shy, so I didn't really talk to anyone beside my sister and friend. One lady came up and shook our hands (I don't remember who), and someone gave us glow bracelets, and The Meyer Twins gave us gold necklaces. So thanks guys. :biggrin2:

Anyhoo, when it was time to go in, they separated the guys and girls and searched us. I had a tiny purse, and my sister had no purse so we got through quickly, but my friend had a big purse and it took forever for them to search her. Then we waited for them to open the doors,and it got very hot. When they opened the doors everyone ran to the stage. We were so scared, especially because there was a guy twice my size who almost trampled me and didn't seem to care.

It seemed like we waited FOREVER for Gary Go to come on stage, and when he finally did, some ppl ere saying very rude things about him. :sneaky2:

I cried 3 times during the show: once when he said that nobody expected him to have success in he U.S., but he does because of us, once at the end of Dr. John (I have no idea why :blush-anim-cl:), and I cried all throughout Happy Ending.

My emotions were so crazy during and after the show. :teehee: As I said before, I cried 3 times. I also came close to crying at random times throughout his performance. Plus, after Dr.John, I was still crying, and he played Blue Eyes, prompting my sister to say, "He's singing to you!" For some reason I started laughing hysterically when she said that. I cried for about an hour on the way home and kept saying that I couldn't believe it was over. I still don't believe it even happened. :shocked: When I got home, I was so ready for bed. Then I saw a shooting star, and started crying again. :naughty: I've had about an hour's worth of sleep since then, and my throat is sore, but I'm happy.

:sad:

Thank you for this nice report and I'm happy to hear you had such a great time! Lot's of happy tears for you!:wub2:

Of course there will be a next time!:thumb_yello:

I absolutely adore this photo -- it reminds me of that very old video

interview in black & white, Mika in Two Minutes, or whatever it was called.

He's reading something about himself from a paper, and he gets stuck, and

he grabs his hair just like that. :wub2::wub2::wub2:

OK I need to snap out of this :fangurl: mode! :shocked:

Me too. :teehee:

Noo! Embrace the fangurl mode, it's a happy place. :fangurl:

Everyone - thanks for the reports and pics so far! :fangurl: :fangurl:

outside in the rain

th_020.jpg

sign backstage

th_015-1.jpg

(Sara went to see if her cupcakes had been delivered, she got some great photos of them) I went with, was just standing right inside the door, asked a backstage guy if I could take a photo of the backstage, he said sure, you should take some from in front, it looks even better, & he helped me across the stage & over the barrier, so I wasn't going to say NO!

then I took a few photos of the theatre itself, I love old theatres, then a guy at (I don't know - the light board control thingy?) who had a British accent said- you know you really shouldn't be taking photos in here, now you'll go show all your mates what the show will look like- so I said- oops, sorry, I'll go, he made me feel a little bad, so I didn't show these to anyone in line (even though I was DYING to!)

th_009-1.jpg

th_014-2.jpg

Lovely to read all about it Leona...............and I love the banner..............well done!

So glad you had a brilliant night:wub2:

just got home- AMAZING show!

we waited out in the rain, he finally came out, he signed my Songs for Sorrows book & I gave him the big gold banner we were working on all day (which said MFC, we were represented, they hung it on the barrier for us during the show!)!

then after he got on the bus, the security guard sold me the umbrella they were holding over his head for $20!!!

Mika is just plain AWESOME!!!

Did you take a picture of the banner? I would LOVE to see it :biggrin2:

My daughter and I traveled all the way from Kansas City MO just to see MIKA and it was worth every hour on the road. The BEST CONCERT I have ever seen. The energy was intense and the view from 2nd row balcony was amazing. It was a great day and memories with my daughter who will be going to college next year. THANKS MIKA. Please come to Kansas CITY!!!!!!! :thumb_yello::mf_lustslow:

My daughter and I traveled all the way from Kansas City MO just to see MIKA and it was worth every hour on the road. The BEST CONCERT I have ever seen. The energy was intense and the view from 2nd row balcony was amazing. It was a great day and memories with my daughter who will be going to college next year. THANKS MIKA. Please come to Kansas CITY!!!!!!! :thumb_yello::mf_lustslow:

Hi and welcome to MFC :biggrin2:

Good to hear you had such a wonderful time at the gig.